Chapter 3: Bonding Time



Buffy sat on the coffin with her legs hanging over the edge.

They were crossed at her ankles and she lifted her legs to look down at her outfit saying, “I don’t look flattering do I?”

Spike shrugged saying, “You look just fine luv.”

She sighed saying, “You think Riley will really leave?”

Spike nodded saying, “He wanted you to fall at his feet and tell him to stay. He wanted you to beg him to stay and to forget his actions over the past few days. Since you aren’t willing to do that, I suspect he will be out on first flight out of here.”

She frowned but said nothing.

Spike cocked his head to glance at her saying, “Does that bother you?”

Buffy shrugged admitting quietly, “Probably not as much as it should.”

Spike frowned saying, “What does that mean exactly?”

She raised her eyes in his direction saying, “I’m not sure but if I ever felt anything for him…” She paused then glanced down at her hands saying, “It wasn’t love.”

Spike stayed quiet and was surprised when she continued to talk, “it wasn’t love and it probably wasn’t fair of me not to love him. Perhaps that’s why he went and visited the vampires. Perhaps I drove him to it. I have bad luck in relationships. I must be cursed to be alone.”

She then got a far away look quoting her calling, “Into each generation a girl is born: one girl in all the world, a chosen one. She alone will wield the strength and skill to fight the vampires, demons, and the forces of darkness; to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers. She is the Slayer. The word alone is in there for a reason.“

Spike said nothing as he listened to her words.

It got his mind going back to what they were dealing with, Glory. She was the slayer’s latest challenge.

They didn’t know exactly what she was but she was damn powerful and hard to beat. He got thinking, ‘Perhaps if I can…’

His mind trailed off as she got up and he thought she was leaving but instead she picked up the brandy bottle and took a sip saying “Aargh” as she shook her head sticking out her tongue in such a funny face that he turned smiling at her.

She smiled saying, “What?”

He said, “Your face…when you do that…it’s so cute.”

She smiled turning a little red not knowing what to say so instead of saying something she offered him a sip.

He took the bottle lifting his foot up and over the side to straddle the coffin and face her.

She did the same and watched as he took a sip then offered her the bottle.

The bottle was getting rather low and she sat quietly just taking turns with the bottle.

Spike’s mind was busy wheeling with thoughts and ideas.

He was determined to make things easier on Buffy especially now it appeared that her boyfriend was skipping town.

He knew she needed help and it was obvious captain cardboard and the poof wasn’t going to offer it.

There was only so much the whelp, demon girl and the watcher could offer and Red as well as Glinda, were powerful but not really powerful enough to take down such a hell god as Glory.

No one knew exactly what she was but she was really hard to beat and had really given Buffy a run for her money.

He got to thinking about it and suddenly had an idea.

Finally Spike broke the silence saying excitedly, “I have an idea.”

Buffy raised her eyebrow saying, “About us?”

Spike shook his head saying, “I was thinking about Glory actually and how to stop her.”

Buffy looked curiously at him offering him the bottle and felt her fingers tingle as they brushed fingertips.

Spike shrugged saying, “I don’t want you to have to repeat it and I’d like to hear the others’ thoughts on it.”

Buffy nodded and said, “got any blood here?”

Spike blinked looking confused as Buffy said, “We got a few hours before sunset. You need to feed if you are going to get any better.”

Spike nodded and got up walking over to his fridge and pulled out a jar of blood. He opened it, poured it into a glass and sprinkled some spices into it and then drank up.

Buffy watched as he vamped out to drink it and then un-vamped.

She always thought that was so fascinating how he can look so scary one minute and then so adorable the next.

She covered her mouth as a yawn escaped her and Spike nodded saying, “You’ve only gotten about 30 minutes of sleep over here pet. Sorry I wasn’t much help.”

She looked over at him saying, “You didn’t get much sleep either.”

Spike shook his head saying, “I’m a vampire. Sleep doesn’t come often.”

She shrugged saying, “Could you sleep now for a few hours?”

He didn’t know what to say and just nodded wondering where this was heading.

She didn’t say anything but got up off the coffin and went over to the ladder and climbed down.

She glanced up at the ladder not seeing Spike as she yelled, “You coming to sleep?”

Spike didn’t know what to say so he dutifully followed and poked his head down into the hole in the floor, looking at her as she was lying under the covers on his bed.

She repeated herself looking into his eyes, “You coming? Are you tired or not?”

Spike stood up and jumped down and said, “You want me to sleep here with you?” He pointed to the bed next to her to make his point.

She nodded trying not to give anything away as she said, “I’m taking over your bed and neither of us got any sleep thanks to Riley’s extra curricular activities both today and last night. So I’m okay as long as you stay over here on your side of the bed.”

Spike wasn’t going to argue. He was exhausted and really needed the sleep so he pulled off his boots and crawled onto ‘his’ side of the bed.

He was surprised to find it was actually the side he normally slept on.

There was so much he didn’t know yet about Buffy but he intended to find out.

He pulled the covers over his tired body and closed his eyes and felt Buffy shift getting more comfortable.

She was lying near him but not touching him.

He was tempted to pull her to his side but he felt the bed shift again and felt her leg brush against his.

He tensed but decided not to say anything.

He was just about asleep when he felt the bed shift again and felt Buffy snuggled up to his side.

She lifted his arms and put them around her and he whispered, “Buffy?” She whispered quietly, “Spike.”

He knew then she knew what she was doing so he held her tightly closing his eyes inhaling her scent as he drifted off to sleep holding the slayer who was supposed to be his enemy and he hers.