Chapter 5: Unexpected Assistance



Spike sat forward in his chair but he didn’t move his hand from Buffy’s so instead ran his other hand through his hair as he tried to decide what to say.

He decided just to be honest keeping out the reasons behind the information.

He cleared his throat gently saying, “Ok so we got this bitch that wants us dead and wants the key. I say we fight her with invincibility. There are these orbs of Nezzla'khan. Ever hear of them watcher?”

Giles removed his glasses and nodded saying, “A legend. Two orbs that when worn create invincibility and immortality."

Spike nodded saying, “Exactly and I think with these orbs, you should be able to destroy Glory but the legend is a bit wrong from what I gather. You don’t have to wear the things but instead just have to absorb their power and keep them safe. If the orbs are destroyed, the extra power you absorbed is as well.”

Xander spoke up first saying, “Why would you want Buffy more powerful than she already is? What can you possibility gain from having Buffy able to never die and be able to kill in a heartbeat?”

Spike shrugged saying, “I trust the slayer with the power. She isn’t one to abuse power or let it go to her head. Do you see her out there stopping criminals or trying to fight wars? She’s responsible.”

Xander looked skeptical and Giles continued to rub his glasses not liking the look in either Spike’s or Buffy’s eyes as their gazes met each other. It reminded him of the foggy images he saw them giving each other during the spell.

Willow always insisted she never said in love.

He shuddered as he put his glasses back on his face saying, “Those are a legend though Spike. I hardly call that a winning bet against Glory. Chances are they don’t exist.”

Spike looked a little uncomfortable as he said, “They are real enough.”

Giles said, “Well even if they are real, there’s no way we could find them in time for them to be useful. People have searched for years for legends and come up empty.”

Spike looked down at Buffy and his joined hands and he looked up saying, “I know where they are, in a cave outside of Sunnyhell. Only Demons can entered the cave itself but it’s guarded by other demons. I’ll need the slayer’s help but I’m sure we can handle it.”

Buffy asked curiously, “So these orbs…what are they?”

Spike smirked saying, “So you like balls of power Buffy?”

Buffy stuttered looking embarrassed as he raised his eyebrow at her and no one at the table including Giles, missed the sexual tension between the two as Buffy flirted back after pausing a minute and said, “Sure it’s the way to every girl’s heart.”

Anya laughed out loud impressed by Buffy’s response and Xander and Giles looked horrified.

Tara looked amused and said, “Well not every girl’s.”

Buffy, Spike, Anya and Tara all laughed as the others around the table looked horrified but shocked into silence.

Buffy said, “So I can’t be killed or hurt with these things on?”

Spike nodded saying, “Yea.”

Buffy eyed Spike and said, “Let’s go.”

Xander stood up saying, “Whoa Nelly. Shouldn’t you have Giles research this before you go jumping in? Shouldn’t there be a talk and discussion about this?”

Giles spoke up saying, “Spike, if I may ask something.”

Spike shrugged saying, “Of course watcher.”

He looked at Spike and said, “Why are you willing to give up your only chance to kill Buffy and us in order to help us kill Glory?”

Spike looked uncomfortable for a moment trying to decide why he was doing this.

He glanced up at Buffy who looked curious as well as to what he might say.

He gave her a look and then turned around towards them saying, “Well I gotta have someone around who can protect me from humans don’t I?”

Buffy tilted her head in his direction and he shrugged towards her as though to say, “What was I supposed to say?”

She didn’t say anything as Xander laughed saying, “We’d as soon stake you as protect you but whatever gets the job done.”

Giles didn’t seem satisfied with the answer as he glanced towards Buffy eyes, which seem to hold amazement and admiration.

Giles didn’t like that either but glanced at Spike’s eyes to see adoration and something else that scared him.

Spike didn’t seem to have an alternative motive for this. He was really concerned for Buffy and that perhaps was the scariest concept of all.

Buffy hopped into Spike’s car and looked around inside of it.

She questioned, “How many cars you got?” He shrugged, “Just the one. Got a van as well though. I’ve always wanted a motorcycle but I can’t seem to hang on to them.”

Buffy giggled imagining riding on the back of a motorcycle with her arms clung tightly around Spike.

She got a glazed look over her eyes and Spike cocked his head at her and she shook her head focusing on the topic at hand.

She looked over at Spike saying, “So where you taking me?”

Spike started driving turning down the music that immediately drowned out the world and replied, “Just outside of town. I’m sorry luv but I’ll need your help for any demons that are on the outside of the cave. You can’t enter the cave as you aren’t a demon.”

She nodded not liking it but respecting it. She was suddenly thankful he was a demon.

She decided to brave the question that bothered her, “How did you learn about this?”

Spike tried to blow it off saying, “I researched it. I heard the legend about it and decided to find out if there was any truth in it. I do that kind of thing you know.”

She nodded and replied, “Ring of Amara.”

Spike nodded, “I researched that as well. Anyway I was going to use it against you guys but I changed my mind.”

Buffy frowned saying, “How long have you known about it?”

Spike shrugged saying, “Since after I got the chip in my head.”

Buffy looked at him curiously saying, “And you haven’t used it in over a year?”

Spike shrugged saying, “I guess I never really wanted to kill you bad enough although you had me close that one time when you threw money to me in the alleyway saying I was beneath you. That was the closest I’ve come to wanting you dead in a long time.”

Buffy nodded remembering the day. She had been crying on the back porch and Spike had instead of using the rifle he had brought with him, laid it down beside him as he sat next to her and tried to comfort her putting an arm on her shoulder.

Then had sat with her until she was done crying letting her sit in silence until she was ready to talk to him.

She smiled remembering how he had made her feel better that day.

She never understood why but remembered it just the same.

She thought for a moment that perhaps that is when things really changed for her.

Her mother was dying and the one who comforted her was a soulless vampire not her normal boyfriend.

Sure he was supportive later on but not when it counted. She shrugged off the memory of Riley not wanting to think about him ever again.

He was a closed issue, and the same as Angel was.

Instead she decided to put Spike on the spot, “Why are you helping me? You are protecting Dawn and me. Why?”

He glanced at her before pulling into the dirt road leading to the cave. He let out a deep breath and said, “Honestly luv, I don’t know why. You’re the slayer and I’m a soulless vampire with a damn chip in my head. I could have used these on you the last year as you know and yet I didn’t. Why I didn’t, I don’t know. Perhaps it was because I’ve never hated you or perhaps it was because I never wanted you dead. Can we not worry about why and just worry about how?”

Buffy nodded and opened her door as Spike explained, “Ok you can go in the entrance from what I gather but the actual cavern I enter, you have to stay outside. Got it?”

She nodded and felt her neck tingle.

She whispered to Spike leaning towards him as he came around to help her from the car, “There’s vampires here. Quite a few.”

Spike sniffed the air and said, “Yea. I can smell them.”

Buffy nodded looking a little nervous as she stroked the two stakes she had in her pocket.

Spike produced one of them out of his pocket and held it to the ready. Spike motioned for Buffy to follow as he stepped through the cave.

Nothing happened so he motioned for her again and she passed through.

He watched as another demon walked through a cavern and an orange light scanned him but let him pass. Spike nodded saying, “Now keep your head down low, don’t do anything unless provoked and please be safe.”

She nodded and watched as he stepped past the cavern and the orange light scanned him allowing him passage. He turned around giving her one more glance and walked inside.