Chapter 15

They dressed and took the sewer tunnels to the Magic Box. They entered the basement and paused at the stairs leading to the shop. Buffy knew she was getting ready to face the people she cared about the most, people whose opinions mattered the most. They would disapprove of a relationship with Spike. Grasping his hand, she led him up the stairs, and into her world.

The Magic box wasn’t busy at all. Willow and Tara were stocking candles, Giles and Anya were behind the cash register looking at ledgers, Xander and Dawn were eating donuts at the large table in the center of the store. Buffy and Spike entered the shop and all eyes turned to them.
Buffy headed straight for the donuts. She picked up a crueller and shoved it into her mouth. Xander watched the long pastry disappear into Buffy’s mouth, sexually fantasies swirling in his head. He swallowed hard and crossed his legs. They all watched, with mouths agape, as Spike walked up to Buffy, pulled her close, her back to his front, and said, “I knew you’d worked up an appetite. Why didn’t you tell me you were so hungry?” He nibbled on her neck as she ate.

Giggling and wiping donut crumbs from her lips, she turned and kissed him full on the mouth.
“Bloody hell! Is no one going to ask what on earth is going on here?” Giles was already looking for something to wipe his glasses with. “We need to research whatever spell they are under. Willow, can you figure out who cast it?”

“We aren’t under any spell, Giles. But we do need to do some research. I’ve had two Slayer dreams. Both involved me and Spike, and then the last one, Angel. Is there perhaps some sort of prophecy you forgot to mention?” She looked pointedly at her Watcher.

Frantically rubbing his glasses, he replied, “Whatever do you mean, Buffy?”

“So there’s no spell needed?” Willow still looked concerned.

“Tell us about the dreams, Buffy, and tell us how this thing with Spike started,” Tara asked, seeing the concern on her lover’s face.

Willow and Tara sat at the table with Xander and Dawn. Anya came and sat by Xander, glaring at him, irritated to find him staring at Buffy. Giles remained behind the counter, pretending to ignore the rest of them.

Spike had noticed the Watcher’s behavior and was convinced the man knew something he wasn’t sharing.

Buffy shared the ‘censored’ version of her first dream, letting them know she had dreamed it was her destiny to be with Spike and then told them of his dream of her years before she had even been born.

“That can’t possibly be the meaning of the dream! You must be leaving something out or missing something. Giles, tell her she’s wrong. Why would the Slayer be with a vampire? Let’s also discuss the fact that she may actually be under a spell again. Look at them! They’re all over each other! Can’t we dust him now? God only knows what he’s done to her!” Xander was ranting uncontrollably.

“Relax, Whelp. There is no spell. The Slayer’s had a dream, it showed her the path to me, now deal with it. You have your own bird anyway.” Spike sat down at the table, pulling Buffy onto his lap as she ate another donut.

“Now Rupes, spill. What are you trying to hide from her?”

Giles put his glasses on and reached under the counter. Retrieving an old book, he began flipping through the pages as he approached the table. He laid the book down and pointed to the open page. “There is an ancient prophecy dealing with the joining of a Slayer and a vampire. It indicates, based on my translation, that they will become an unstoppable force. Against what, I haven’t a clue. I did not hide it, I simply did not think it applied to Buffy.”

“What! You didn’t think it applied? Giles, you cannot hide things like this from me! This joining may be what saves me from an early grave, again! Did you ever think of that?” The hurt on Buffy’s face was unmistakable. Spike continued to glare at the watcher. “Had I known this, my life could have been different. You don’t have the right to choose my life for me, Giles.” She turned and buried her face in Spike’s neck.

“Buffy, there is no way I would have told you to go find a vampire mate. Think about what you’re saying. And are you sure it’s supposed to be Spike? There was a dream about Angel, wasn’t there? Maybe he’s the one you are supposed to be with. That is to say, if you are to be with a vampire at all.” The irritation on Giles’ face was clear to everyone.

Dawn, who had stayed quiet, soaking it all in, broke the silence with.
“Spike’s hot, Angel’s not. ‘Nuff said.” All faces turned to her. “What, it’s true!”

Anya already knew about Buffy’s dream with Spike and was well aware of what had taken place between them. She had picked up on the fact that Buffy wasn’t about to share all the assorted details here and now, but couldn’t wait to hear how her outfit had worked out. “Buffy, tell us about your dream with Angel. I’m sure it will make more sense when we have more details. Oh, and by the way, I agree with Dawn.”

Xander cringed at Anya’s comment. Tara and Willow were looking over the prophecy and whispering to each other.

Buffy got comfortable on Spike’s lap and carefully selected her words. “I dreamt that Angel saw Spike and I together and tried to kill him out of jealousy.” She left out all the details about Angel watching them have sex, then the full on vampire fight that had ensued in her dream.

Willow and Tara suddenly looked to the group. “Giles, this translated to the Slayer MATING with a Master vampire and fighting together for the good of man, for ETERNITY. Does that mean she would marry Spike and become immortal like him?”

Giles took off his glasses again. “I refuse to discuss this any further. I will not allow my Slayer to mate with a vampire, let alone, William the Bloody.”

Buffy stood up and faced Giles. “I don’t think you have a choice. This is my decision to make, not yours. Spike, we need to get out of here and discuss this without anyone else’s input. I have heard enough here for a lifetime.”

She went to reach for Spike’s hand but he was already on his feet, reaching for hers.

“Let’s go, pet. No need to listen to the Peanut gallery on this subject.” They headed for the basement and disappeared behind the slamming door.

The remaining Scoobies looked at each other in shock. “I think we need to do more research and fast, get more books,” suggested Willow. Xander was up the ladder in a flash to retrieve all the “special” books. Dawn and Tara were looking at the books Giles kept behind the counter, pulling volumes off the shelf, while Willow continued to read through the book containing the prophecy.

Giles had disappeared into the back office to make a call.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review!