Chapter 16

Buffy and Spike walked hand in hand back to the crypt. The walk back was silent, each of them lost in their own thoughts. The tunnels were a shortcut back to the cemetery, which was good. They needed to discuss this prophecy.

So… mated to the Slayer. Me, William the Bloody, Scourge of Europe, claimed and mated to the Vampire Slayer. And not just any Slayer, but Buffy, the best slayer I have ever seen. Would she consider a claim, and eternal bond with? Spike was giddy and nervous about the upcoming conversation with Buffy. He squeezed her hand, smiling at her as she looked to him.

Buffy felt her hand squeezed and looked to Spike. He smiled at her, warming her from the inside out. He is beautiful, so kind on the eyes. And he is mine… or will he even want me? Her head was filled with doubt as the approached the crypt.
****
“Yes, the prophecy has begun. Yes, Spike is with her. I know. Look, Angel, you know very well I can’t stop her, but I thought you would be interested. Time is of the essence. Yes, goodbye.” Giles hung up the phone and returned to researching with the others. He was frustrated by Angel’s response to his call, but hoped he would somehow take care of the problem. He wanted his Slayer safe and if that meant involving Angel, so be it.

Anya had overheard Giles on the phone and knew she needed to warn Buffy and Spike.

“I think there are a few volumes downstairs, let me go check. I’ll be right back.” Anya fortunately had her cell phone in her pocket, which she reached for as she descended the stairs. She hid around the corner, behind some large shelved holding various bottles of herbs and eyes, she quickly dialed Buffy’s phone number and it immediately went to voicemail. Buffy’s phone was off. I hope those two are making with the happys Anya left a message and grabbed two random book off of the shelf, and went back up to the shop.


Angel answered the phone to hear the voice of a person he’d hoped he’d never hear again. Rupert Giles would only call if Buffy were in trouble or dead.

“The prophecy has begun.” Giles had stated plainly and from the tone in his voice he knew exactly which one he was speaking of.

“Is she still with him?” Angel asked through gritted teeth.

“Yes, Spike is with her.”

Rage flooded through Angel’s cold veins, his knuckles whitening as he gripped the cordless phone. “You need to stop her, convince her he’s not the one.”

Angel listened to Giles, but didn’t hear him. All he could think of was snapping his childe’s neck from happening. Furious with the situation, he stomped to his room to pack a bag. He would leave for Sunnydale as soon as the sun set. Packed and ready to go, he realized he had several hours before he could leave. Angel lay down on the bed and tried to rest. He was pretty sure there would be fighting in his near future. He would never let Spike have his girl.

No sooner had he dozed off that he was twitching and mumbling in his sleep, tortured by nightmares.


Spike and Buffy decided to head to his bed to relax and discuss the morning’s discoveries. Lying side by side, Buffy spoke first. “Ya know, you could get a few more pieces of furniture upstairs to sit on.”

Pulling her into his arms, he replied, “That would mean you wouldn’t be here in my bed then.”

They kissed for several minutes, softly teasing each other’s lips. Buffy slowly pulled back, took a deep breath and started, “So, eternally mated huh?”

Spike searched her face for any clue that she was freaking out about the prospect of being his mate. All he saw was warmth and happiness. “That’s what I heard. It’s a big step, Buffy. It means you would be linked to me forever. It’s not something to take lightly.”

Smiling, she cupped his cheek with her hand. “I’m not taking anything lightly. Tell me what you think about all of this.”

The soft tones of her voice soothed him like a lullaby. “I would be honored to have you as my mate for all eternity. Till dust do us part.” Spike leaned forward and kissed her passionately, as if to prove his statement.

Shocked, Buffy quickly asked, “I know a claim involves you biting me, but you wouldn’t have to turn me, would you? I don’t want to die to be with you, but …”

Spike laughed and pulled her back to him, “No, you don’t have to be turned, but there are some side effects. There aren’t many documented cases of Vampire/human matings, but I have read of a few. The main effect that comes to minds would be linked mentally as well as our lifelines.”

“Meaning that we could read each other’s minds and what, die together?”

“Yes and no,” he smiled. He couldn’t believe he was discussing this with her. His ladylove. Was she really considering this? “It was documented that vampires and their mates were able to use telepathy. Now, the linked lifelines are a bit tricky. It would mean that you would not only feel each emotions and pain, but should one of us die or be killed, the other would meet the same fate. Like I said, I don’t think it’s something to be taken lightly.” Spike looked her in the eyes. He was still very concerned that she would not be interested in him as her mate. He was trying to steel himself for her refusal, telling himself that he could handle it, knowing he would be crushed.

Buffy saw the strained look wash over his face. He was afraid she wouldn’t go through with it. She knew she needed to ease his fears. “I never take anything I do lightly.” Buffy got up on her knees and straddled him. She leaned forward and trailed her tongue down the side of his neck. “So, I get to bite you, too?”


Chapter End Notes:
Please review :) Sometimes a few words mean sooo much :P Also, if you want to make sure you dont miss an update, please favorite the story and you will receive email notification of an update.