Author's Chapter Notes:
'I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine, he shall be my squishy.'- Finding Nemo. just thought everyone else should have that memorized and not just me
“Spike, it’s alright if you’re gay. No one is going to judge you but if you would rather go with plan A that’s fine too.” Buffy explained calmly to the still stuttering Brit seated across from her. “I mean I could see where they got that vibe. I mean my gaydar should have gone off with the chain and black fingernail polish, well and the tight clothes…”

“Buffy, for the last bloody time, I am not gay nor have I ever been gay and certainly will not be gay in the future. I’ve only got one woman on my mind right now ‘n I intend to catch her.” Spike noted that she turned her head away from him as a pained expression took over her face for a moment before it cleared again and she was able to face him.

“Well she’s a very lucky woman. Spike, I-I know this isn’t the best situation but I’m asking you as my friend to help me with this. After Clem I just I-I…” The tears she had been holding back for so long finally broke free and she allowed the dam to burst for the first time in years. She was no longer the polished Hollywood icon she’d played for so long but a scared, timid woman broken by strains of people’s expectation.

“Easy luv, know you’re still in pain over Clem. ‘E was a great bloke, best friend a guy could ever hope for ‘n great dad for Andrew. ‘M going to help you pet, I’ll do the date thing. It would be my pleasure to be seen as your boyfriend ‘round town.” ‘Maybe more’ He quickly shook the thought away as he comforted his best friend’s widowed wife. She was truly too young to have to deal with it all, even by Hollywood standards. At 25, she was Hollywood’s Golden Girl and a highly sought after lead actress. The death of her husband at such a young age had only projected her more into the spotlight.

“Andrew doesn’t even remember him. Clem is gone and his own son can’t even remember him. Why, please Spike, tell me why he got on that motorcycle that morning? Why didn’t he go with you? Why is he dead?”

Spike didn’t have the words to tell the young woman, the woman he was deeply in love with, why her husband hadn’t ridden with him that ill-fated morning. The reason would shred her to pieces and their friendship would be irreparable. He would lose her forever if he told her exactly what had happened.

“I don’t know sweetheart, I can’t tell you why the accident happened but you can’t blame yourself pet. Clem’s not coming back, wish ‘e was but ‘e can’t. ‘Es in a better place now but I’ll make you a deal. I’ll stand in as your boyfriend if you give me a real chance. Let me prove myself to you.”

Her head popped up at his statement, tears still staining her face. “What do you mean a real chance?”

“Let me be your boyfriend pet, for real, not just for the tabloids. I want to be there you’re sick, crying or just need to be held. The highs ‘n the lows, I want it all luv.”

“I-I can’t give that to you Spike, not now. Maybe someday but I can’t, not with Clem and…”

“Can I still be your ‘for publicity’ boyfriend ‘cause I’ve got to tell you ‘m not liking people thinking ‘m gay.” Spike gave her a smirk which quickly grew into a full-blown grin as she started laughing, her million dollar smile coming out to play.

“Spike, I would love it if you were my tabloid boyfriend.” She grinned at him before leaning towards him and kissing him softly.

“Bloody hell luv what was that for?” He was amazed he could even think straight as her lips caught his again and all his brain could think was ‘Buffy lips, lips of Buffy.’

“We will have to kiss in public. You do realize that right?” At his dazed nod, she continued. “If we’re going to do this we have to act like a real couple which includes kissing, hand-holding, and obnoxious little pet names for each other- Blondie bear.” She gave a small giggle at his frown.

“You’ve got yourself a deal if you never call me that again bunny-boo” He laughed as her face scrunched up at the pet named he’d given her.

“Ok so no pet names ever or at least those but we will have to kiss and hold hands so if you can’t do it, tell me now and we can end this.” Her emerald eyes met his cerulean ones as they came together in a longer kiss, hands roaming each other’s body.

His hands roamed up into her silken hair as he breathed in the unique blend of vanilla and jasmine that was purely Buffy. He’d waited for so long to have her in his arms that he didn’t notice the young boy standing next to them calling for his mother. Spike could feel her pull away slightly as she registered her son’s appearance and he reluctantly let her go.

Buffy leaned in and gave him one last soft kiss before following Andrew and the bouncing puppy out of the room. As she left, Spike’s eyes traveled around the room as he fought the discomfort of being away from her, they landed on a poster of ‘Slayers’ the movie Clem and Buffy had met on. The premiere had been the first time Spike had laid eyes on the golden stunner, only to see her wrapped in the arms of his best friend.
Spike closed his eyes as he remembered the last time he’d ever seen his best friend alive.

3 years prior…

“What the hell are you saying Spike? I thought you were supposed to be my friend and now this…” James ‘Clem’ Clement flung his arms in the air while studying the face of his best friend of nearly fifteen years.

“Not tryin’ to do anything Clem. Jus’ thought you should know.” Spike ran his hands through his bleached- blond hair as he tried to reason with man before him.

“I can’t do this right now. I need to meet Buffy at one. Call me when you can think straight man.” Clem left the house in a huff and stumbled out towards the black motorcycle out front.