Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay, faithful reader. It is never my intention to leave you hanging... well, not too much. Enjoy this, as more is on the way :) Thanks PB for beta-ing and all your support *huggles*
Chapter 29

Spike led his love back inside the cave and helped her onto her sleeping furs and lay down beside her. Happy thoughts of the future left to come, was quickly followed by deep sleep, as they lay entwined in each other’s arms.

Groma and Hourak had both silently watched the couple settle in for the night, their own minds filled with uncertain thoughts of all of their futures.

Hourak listened to Groma’s breathing, waiting to hear it slow to indicate she had fallen asleep. When he was pretty sure she was still the only other person still awake, he whispered her name.

“Groma?”

The elderly woman rolled over to see her old friend's face smiling in the glow of the firelight. “Yes, Hourak?”

He looked upon her face like he had never seen her. He had always respected her for all she had done for the clan, but had never seen her as anything more than a friend. But right in that moment, his heart filled with emotion. He feared he would lose her to her sickness, or to the mysterious couple talking about leaving. He needed to tell her, and hoped she would consider his offer. Emboldened by being in the presence of a love such as Buffy and Spike’s, Hourak knew he had to act on his feelings.

“Groma, together we have cared for the many members of our clan, watched them grow and have families of their own. I’ve never asked for a mate, never even considered it. Not until this very moment. I see you as my equal, and living without you all these months, I have realized that I need you back by my side. Groma, would you consider an aged man as your faithful mate for what is left of our lives?” Hourak took a deep breath, and steeled himself for her answer.

Groma watched as Hourak bowed his head as he was sure she would refuse him. Propping herself up so she could see his face more clearly, she spoke. “My dear Hourak, I would love nothing more than to return to the clan, not only as the medicine woman, but as your mate, but…” she paused and lowered her voice in disappointment. “But I am old and weak, and the clan has made their decision. I am an outcast. My daughter needs me now more than ever, and I cannot leave her.”

Reaching out, he cradled her cheek in his hand. “We are both old and weak, but together we can be strong. I will stand up for you and convince the elders to welcome you back, or I will stay with you here. This could be our home. Kaia is with Buffy and Spike now and even though I do not completely understand what is happening, I am confident they will make sure she is cared for. I think Spike is right and we should help them find their way home. However that may be.” He patted the empty space on his furs and motioned to her to join him. “Will you honor me with your presence at this hearth tonight?”

The woman had thought of this wise old man for years, saddened that he had never looked upon her as worthy to be his mate. She could see the care and love in his eyes as he had spoken to her. “I have many questions and concerns about Buffy and Kaia and how they will make this mystical journey, but I too believe that Spike has been sent to care for them, my daughters. A deep, rose blush appeared on the woman’s deeply etched face. “I would be honored.”

Hourak helped her move closer, covered her with his thick furs and wrapped his arms around her for the first time. “You have made me very happy, Groma, and I will spend every moment I have left in this world caring for you,” he whispered in her ear as they joined the other couple in silent slumber.


As the sun rose on the bluff, Buffy woke first. A tiny shaft of light pierced the makeshift door to the cave and had landed on Spike’s cheek. His alabaster skin hadn’t seen sun in hundreds of years in their time, but here, in this world, he could live in the sun like a normal human. Her thoughts found their way to raising this child with him. Here, he would be able to play with the child in the sun all day, but back home; he would be limited to night time strolls and playground trips. Would that be fair to the baby? Or Spike? As if the child had heard her thoughts, it swiftly kicked her in the kidney causing her to gasp and squeeze her eyes and mouth shut to stifle a loud ouch. When she opened her eyes, she saw Spike’s looking back at her and a smile stretching widely across his face. She felt his hand cover her own, draped across her swollen belly.

“Does our daughter disagree with your thoughts?” Spike smirked as he asked.

“How did you know?” Buffy was shocked by his statement, but it quickly disappeared as he leaned forward to kiss her lightly on the lips, then dropped down to her stomach.

Gently, he touched his lips to her belly, and said, “Don’t give your mother a hard time, baby girl. She means well, I promise.” He returned his eyes to his true love’s foreign face. “Let’s get you fed, so that we can make some decisions for our future.” Spike nodded his head in the direction of the other couple. “Looks as though we aren’t the only lovers sharing this cave flat.”

Buffy spun her head to find the two elders sleeping close together, content smiles on their faces. She turned her head quickly back to Spike and whispered, “Oh my God! I had no idea they felt that way for each other!”

Pulling her closer once more, “That’s because when you’re too busy tryin’ to solve everything on your own, you miss some of the most obvious signs around you. As a matter of fact, I was thinking we could actually find something else to do quietly while we wait for them to wake…” Spike said as he gave her that “come hither look” she had seen so many times before.

Buffy shot him a look he hadn’t seen before. “Why not? I’ll be quiet… at least try.” Smirking as he pulled her as tight against him as her pregnant physique would allow.

Unsure of exactly how to approach this subject, she proceeded cautiously. “First and foremost, I don’t look like me… you know, with Kaia’s bod and with the being all prego. And second, and very important, they could wake up at any time.

Nuzzling her neck, he quietly reassured her. “You are my love, and it’s a bonus that there’s a little more of you right now. My little cave slayer. And they are not only asleep, but isn’t sex in close quarters what they are used to? They would probably think it peculiar if we didn’t. Now, let’s get your little loin cloth off so I can remind you just how much I care.”

Surprised not only by his response, but her own to his roaming hands, she found herself quickly unfastening the ties of her clothing. She had missed him, and needed him now.

Spike helped her the best he could under the heavy furs, and soon they had managed to relieve themselves of their clothes and were eagerly exploring each other.

“I love you, Buffy,” he said huskily as his passion grew.

“I love you too, Spike,” she replied gasping. “Please don’t make me wait. I need to feel you inside of me.”

Spike rolled her onto her back, and found his place between her legs. Even though this was Buffy, it wasn’t her body and there were a few things that he wasn’t quite sure of how to proceed. “Buffy? Will I hurt the baby? Will I hurt you? I couldn’t bear hurting either of you.”

Buffy looked up at her lover, astonished at the level of concern on his face. “I know the baby won’t feel a thing, as long as you don’t smoosh me, and as far as hurting me in this body… there’s no way. She may seem younger than me, but remember this is a slayer’s body. Please, Spike…” Buffy wrapped her legs around him and pulled him closer.

I adore this woman. He did as she commanded and gently slid into her.

Their love making was slow, and gentle. They knew that they were made to love each other, and now magic had given them a family to raise together. The celebrated their love under the furs that fateful morning, unaware of the events they had just set into motion.






Chapter End Notes:
Please take the time to let me know what you think.