Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks PB for betaing, I'd be lost wiffout ya!
Chapter 11



Giles had arrived at what Ethan had explained was a safe house. The four-story row house stood majestically in an upcoming neighborhood about eight blocks from the Hyperion. The Council had purchased the building and had spared no expense renovating it to meet their needs.

The van had been instructed to back into the alley, and unload the crate onto the service elevator at the rear of the building.

Julio parked the Lincoln in front of the building as instructed and quickly got out of the car to assist Mr. Giles with his bags.

Rupert Giles entered the foyer of the distinctively Victorian residence. The thick, burgundy crushed velvet drapes covered the tall windows and pooled elegantly on the highly polished mahogany floors. The front rooms were hidden behind massive pocket doors, but when opened, revealed a well-stocked library off to the right, and a parlor with elaborately painted murals off to left. Intricately carved wooden panels adorned the curved staircase that wove itself up to the upper levels. It reminded him of his own home back in London; even the silk wallpaper in the front hall was similar to what was hung in his own house. Must remember to commend Ethan on his selections.

Julio was standing quietly behind Giles, awed by the elegance of the interior of the house. He wondered what Mr. Giles did for a living, since obviously he had an abundance of funds.

“Julio, please take my bags up to the first floor and leave them in the hall. I’m not sure which bedroom I will be using yet. After that,” Giles paused while he withdrew his wallet from the inside pocket of his jacket and withdrew several twenty dollar bills. He handed them to Julio, “Go get something for me to eat. No fast food. A nice cut of steak – rare, potato, salad, bread, do you understand? You should have enough to get yourself something too.”

It was late, and Julio wasn’t sure where to go to get this meal for his new employer, but he had a feeling Giles didn’t want to hear that. He figured that money talks, and he had certainly given him enough cash to persuade someone to cook this meal for him.

“Yes, sir. I will be back as soon as possible,” and after shoving the cash into his pocket, started up the stairs with the suitcases.

“And Julio, park in the alley when you return. There is an entrance at the rear of the building for deliveries. Ring the bell and I or my associate will let you in.” With that, Giles walked off. He needed to put the kettle on, and check on his crate.




The service elevator was lowered with the lever on the wall next to the large metal door in the basement. Giles had waited until the van had left before he lowered the elevator, keeping his business as private as possible.

Stepping out onto the platform, he used the pry bar he had picked up off the workbench, and began to lift the crate’s front panel. Once it was loose, he lifted it off, allowing the moonlight to illuminate its contents.

Giles stood back as a man-shaped form rose from the box, and stood beside him. “How was your trip?” Giles asked.

“Bumpy, old man. Now, you going to invite me in?”





Rupert Giles was pleased with his plan so far. Everything was working out as he had hoped; now hopefully this Buffy wouldn’t be a problem. He ate his dinner in the dining room at one end of a long table, and his guest at the other end. The kitchen had been stocked in advance of his arrival, blood in the freezer for his companion, twenty-year scotch in the cabinet for him.

Julio had found a restaurant a few blocks away and had found it easy to get a dinner made when the green was flashed. He even had enough to get two dinners made; the only unfortunate part was that he was not invited inside to eat. Julio was told to wait in the car, as Giles would need his services in a few hours, and he wanted him ready.






Giles arrived at the Hyperion right on time and ordered Julio to circle the block until he was ready to leave.

Angel had been waiting, hoping to have a word with the Watcher before he had a chance to speak directly with the Slayer. As the hired car pulled up, Angel watched as the Watcher stepped out and approached the entrance of his hotel. Angel walked out to meet him, wanting this conversation to take place in the atrium, away from the eyes and ears of all hotel residents.

Giles found himself face to face with the hulking vampire, with an obvious chip on his shoulder. “Angel, I presume?” and held out his hand.

Angel refused to offer his hand, uninterested in shaking his hand. Instead he crossed his arms over his chest. “Giles. There’s a few things I want to get straight with you before you speak with Spike and Buffy.”

“I have no need to speak with your soul-protégé, Angel. I’ve come for my Slayer, and then I will be on my way.” Giles’ face was devoid of emotion, but his tone spoke volumes.

Angel chuckled at Giles’ ignorance. “I would like nothing more than for you to take this distraction away from Buffy, but I think you have fooled yourself if you think you can stroll in here and convince Spike to walk away from his life and return to England with you.”

“Let me do my job, and you’ll have no trouble from me. However, try to influence my Slayer, or have your vamp ward influence him to deny his calling, and you will find I’m not always this composed. Now, I came for my Slayer. What was it you wanted to say?” Giles sucked in air through gritted teeth, puffing up his chest.

“I just want you to watch what you say around Buffy. She has a mission of her own and I don’t want you using your influence to threaten her destiny. This Slayer of yours is quite smitten with Buffy, and I’m not happy about this unnatural relationship anymore than you, but I won't have you dragging her back with you just so you get your boy to follow. If you were smart, you’d be wise to plan on staying here and taking it slow with him. I’m very concerned about this relationship between him and Buffy, and I’m open to hearing any plan you may have on separating them.” Angel’s face reflected the concern in his voice.

A grin slowly spread across Rupert Giles’ face as he realized that his plan might work better than he'd hoped. “If you’re done, let’s start this meeting.”






Spike awoke to a light rapping on the door, and Cordy whispering, “Hey, guys? We’ve got company, if you could come downstairs.”

He gently rocked Buffy’s shoulder as he delivered gentle words in her ear, “Are you awake, pet? Cordy’s at your door and wants us to come downstairs. Seems like our company has arrived.” Spike's mind and heart were racing that he was about to meet his very own Watcher, something he never thought he'd get to have. He was excited at the prospect, but also very nervous.

Buffy stretched, then answered Cordelia. “Thanks, Cordelia. Give us a few minutes and we’ll be right down.” She listened to Cordy walk away before she rolled over and kissed her Slayer. My Slayer. That does have a nice ring to it.

Spike leaned into her kiss, gently pressing her back onto the mattress, covering her body with his own. Buffy moaned into his mouth as she hooked one leg behind his back, bringing him closer to her. Spike’s body responded, causing him to deepen his kisses. As he pulled up for air, he realized that their make out sessions were becoming more heated each time. This isn’t the time or the place. Now I need to calm down before I attempt to go meet the Watcher. Sitting up, he noticed the pout on Buffy’s face. “Come on, kitten. We can play later.”

Buffy scooted up behind him, cuddling him close. An erotic purr erupted from within her chest as she slid off the bed. “I definitely want to play later,” she said as she walked into her bathroom to get herself presentable.

Did she just purr? Spike’s body shivered in delight. Kitten was now her official nickname.

Spike walked back to his room to change. As much as he wanted to stay here with Buffy, he wanted to meet his Watcher. Today was special. Everything was about to change.


Chapter End Notes:
reviews are not required, but always welcome