Author's Chapter Notes:
PB rocks at everything she does... just thought everyone should know :D
Chapter 7


Buffy had fixed up a big platter of nachos and put them in the oven to melt the cheese. As she was getting bottles of Coke for everyone, her sensitive vampire hearing picked up Spike and Clem’s conversation. Sometimes it was irritating to not be able to block out other people's private conversations, however, this one, was very interesting. Smiling as she heard Clem’s final comment, she gathered up the drinks and made her way back into the living room.

Spike was sitting on the couch with a journal in his hands, and Clem in the armchair with one in his lap.

“Coke ok with you guys?” she asked as she set them down on the table.

“Fine by me, thanks, Buff. Nachos smell great too,” Clem said.

“Same here. Thanks for letting me read these, Buffy. It makes me wonder if I am supposed to have a Watcher too.” Spike’s face took on a forlorn expression.

“Well, as a matter of fact,” she said as she sat down on the couch next to him, “I spoke to Angel yesterday and he mentioned that the Watcher’s Council knows about you, but had no idea where you were. I think he has a contact with them, whoever is left.”

“You told Angel about me?” Spike smirked and raised an eyebrow as he thought about her talking about him.

“Yeah, I hope that’s ok? I kinda report all Hellmouth activity to him, especially the interesting developments,” she slyly smiled at him.

Clem watched the interaction between the two, wondering if he should stick around or leave them alone.

Buffy noticed Clem fidgeting in the chair and remembered wanting to talk to him. Just then, the timer on the oven rang out.

“Clem, you mind giving me a hand while Spike reads on?” She winked at Clem, as she motioned for him to join her in the kitchen.

“Sure thing, Buff,” Clem said as he rose to follow her.

As they rounded the corner, Buffy whispered to Clem, “I need a favor?”

“Anything, Buffy, what can I do?” Clem was eager to help her after all she’d done for Sunnydale.

Whispering so Spike couldn’t possibly hear, “I need you to keep an eye on Spike, and keep your ears open for anything you may hear about him in town. I...” Buffy paused searching for the right wording. “I just want him safe. I need to make sure nothing bad happens to him. I-I like him.” Buffy’s blush said it all.

Clem put his wrinkled hand on Buffy’s petite shoulder. “I gotcha covered. I’ve invited him to stay at my place and I hear lots of gossip when I’m at work, so it shouldn’t be a problem. Do you think he’s in danger?”

“No, not specifically, but I feel like for some reason I want to look out for him. I mean, he is the Slayer, he's bound to find trouble or have it find him. Are you sure you don’t mind?” Buffy was still flushed.

“Not at all.”

Buffy retrieved the nachos from the oven and pointed to the cabinet with the plates.

Clem got three plates, a handful of paper towels, and before they walked back to the living room with food, said, “I think he feels the same way, Buffy. No worries, ok?”

With a broad smile and a fresh blush, “No worries, and thanks, Clem. Now, let’s eat.”

For the next few hours, the three read through all the journals, discussing the Watchers and the Slayers and their lives.

Clem fell asleep while Buffy and Spike stayed up talking about the Watchers' accounts.

“I wonder why the Slayers didn’t write their own journals?” was Buffy’s main question. “It seems like they would have had a better account of what actually happened in their lives. Would have been kinda like a manual to future Slayers.”

“Yeah. I think I may write my own. ‘Cause, no Watcher to tell my tale.” Spike’s face darkened again.

Buffy reached over and took his hand in hers. “Spike, tell me why you get that look when you talk about the Watchers. Is it something from your past?”

His heart skipped a beat when her cool skin rested on his. Looking into her eyes, he felt like he could tell her anything. “Well, my past wasn’t full of happy memories. I’ve been on my own as long as I can remember. Had a close friend once… but, he’s dead now.” His mind flashed pictures of Wesley dead in his arms; reminding him he was holding hands with a vampire. He pulled his hand away, missing her touch instantly, but suddenly uncomfortable.

“Spike, please tell me what happened. I want to know, if you want to tell me.” Buffy wanted to pull him into a hug, but saw the stress on his brow. When he didn’t answer right away, Buffy started to clean up.

“Buffy?” Spike took her hand in his, and gently pulled her back down to the couch. “I’m sorry. My past wasn’t so long ago, so the memories are very fresh. Please sit with me; I want to tell you everything. I want to…" Spike stumbled on his words, “I want you to know about me, just as I want to know all about you.” He dropped his eyes to his lap.

Buffy lifted his chin with her finger. “I would like nothing more than to get to know each other better.”

Spike found himself drowning in her eyes. He’d never been with a woman before, never even kissed one, but right then, he knew that she was the only one he would ever want. No matter how wrong it was, she was the one.

Buffy leaned in and placed a soft, chaste kiss on his lips, lingering a bit longer than she expected to. She knew he was young, but her attraction to him was undeniable. She was the older one here, so it was her place to make sure things didn’t go too fast. She pulled away, but held his hand in her lap. Squeezing it, she said, “Now, do you want to know about me first? Or would you like to tell me about you?”

Buffy could feel the demon in her, telling her to take what she wants, but she pushed the feelings away. She knew she could have him right now if she wanted, noticing his arousal. His heart raced within his chest, his face was flushed. Plus, she’d heard his conversation with Clem. She knew he wanted her too.

That sweet, tender flesh could be all mine, maybe even get a sip of that fabled Slayer blood if I play my cards right...

NO. This isn’t like that. I do want him, but I want it all… Buffy wrestled with her emotions privately, but her desire to do the right thing won out.

They talked all night as Clem slept soundly in the chair, sharing everything they could with each other.

When the sun came up, Buffy began yawning.

“As much as I hate to leave, Clem has work in a few hours. But I’d like to see you later if that’s ok?”

“More than ok. I will meet you at Clem’s at sundown. Maybe we can patrol together.” Buffy was thrilled at this development.

“Perfect, now let’s see if we can wake him up.”

“Spike? I’ve got to go to L.A. next week to see Angel. Do you think you’d like to come with me? I think it might be like an educational field trip,” she said with a smile.

“I’d love to. We can work out all the details later. For now, I’ve got to get this big lug of a friend home.”


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews make me write more... so if you don't leave one, does it mean you don't want me to continue?