Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks PB, you know you make this all possible! Summary was updated to possible spark more interest in the fic. Hope it works !
Chapter 8


Clem woke to both Buffy and Spike nudging him.

As they stood at her door, Clem watched Buffy and Spike say their awkward goodbyes, knowing he'd missed something while he'd slept.

Walking back to the crypt, Clem noticed Spike’s grin. “Ok, what did I miss? Spill.”

Spike blushed, remembering each moment of his evening. “Well, a gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell.”

Clem let loose a hearty laugh, “Ok, ok, fair enough. By the blush on your cheek and smile plastered across that face of yours, I’d say you had a great time. Anything you do want to share?”

With a slight bounce in his step, Spike volunteered, “She did invite me to go with her to LA. Wants to introduce me to Angel. You don’t think it's some sort of trap do you?” Spike's smile disappeared, having forgotten that he was just invited into a vampire’s lair.

“Trap? Buffy and Angel?” No way. They are working for the Powers That Be to fight evil. But, meeting Angel…” Clem trailed off, egging him on.

“What about Angel? I thought you said he was a good guy, why should I worry?” Spike was now standing in front of Clem, his hand on Clem’s chest, stopping him in his tracks.

“Because. Dude, she’s taking you home to meet her family.”


__________



Spike spent most of the following day at Clem’s trying to rest, but nervously thinking about Buffy, the kiss, and the upcoming road trip.

Lying on the couch, sleep finally took him around mid afternoon. He smiled as he slept; his dreams filled with thoughts of Buffy the Vampire. His vampire.


__________



Buffy’s hand lingered on her door as she closed it behind Clem and Spike.

A man had never affected her like this in all of her life. Her heart craved him as much as her demon did. Thoughts of him clouded her mind. Is is it him that I want? Or is it his powerful blood calling out to my demon that fascinates to me?

As she prepared for bed, her thoughts were filled with him. She couldn’t wait to see him again, which she decided would be as soon as the sun set.

His lips… Buffy fell asleep with a smile upon her face as well.


__________



Sunset came and the Slayer began his patrol. Only, he had a particular vampire in mind, and dusting her was never a consideration. Kissing her again, was on the top of his list.

Buffy had rushed to the cemetery as soon as she could leave her apartment. She had spent some time, selecting an outfit that showed a little bit of leg this time. She had laughed when she pulled the mini skirt out of her closet. She felt like a teenager again, as silly as that sounded. She wanted to look good for him, and she did.

He sensed her before he saw her. The back of his neck prickled when vampires were near, but he could tell it was her. Her signature was somehow different.

Spike didn’t want to seem like an overly eager teen, so he played it cool. He let her come find him.

She saw him through the headstones, twirling a wooden stake in his left hand. His chiseled face reminded her of the statues she’d seen in the museums she’d visited around the world, only he was far more beautiful than any she’d seen.

Dru always liked the museums, and had insisted on taking Buffy with her. The lack of natural light within the buildings and constant influx of tourists made it an excellent place to hunt. So while Drusilla hunted, Buffy took in the sights. She had never been one to hunt, disappointing her sire. She fed when she needed to, but only from Drusilla’s leftovers, or stolen bagged blood from hospitals.

Buffy knew she was different from the average vampire almost as soon as she was turned. She had killed shortly after she had risen, but as much as her body hungered, her mind fought against killing. She was frustrated and angry with herself for years, for not being able to be a 'good vampire' and disappointing her sire over and over again. But then Angel had 'adopted' her, letting her see that there was another way. She found that fighting her inner demon was difficult, but not impossible.

Angel had taught her even more. Now, with the promise of having her soul back, it made the fight against her demon even easier.

Strolling up to him, she could hear his heart begin to race. He knew she was near, but hadn’t called out to her. Is he being coy? Doesn’t he realize I can hear when his heartbeat changes?

Buffy decided two could play at that game, and raced ahead of him, hiding behind a mausoleum.

Spike had seen her out of the corner of his eye as she had sprinted on ahead of his path. Playing a game, are we?

As he reached the crypt, he knew she was just on the other side, probably waiting to pounce on him. He decided that he would pounce first.

Buffy morphed into game face, stifling a giggle, and waited anxiously for Spike to stroll past.

Spike rounded the corner, stake held high, and tackled her to the ground. Straddling her, stake still held high (not wanting to really scare her) he looked at her startled, fanged face. He lowered the stake, allowing it to fall to the ground. He was intrigued by her vampire features.

Buffy was giggling, but stopped suddenly as she saw him drop his stake and his hand reach for her face. She quickly changed back to her human face, embarrassed. She turned her head away from his hand.

His hand touched her cheek, turning her to face him again. “Change back. I want to see you. I told you I want to know everything about you, and this is part of who you are.” Spike was in awe of her features. He had always seen vampires as hideous creatures, but in her he found beauty.

Buffy slowly changed back again as a tear rolled from her eye. “I know it’s ugly…”

Spike brushed the tear away as his fingers traced the bumpy ridge of her brow. “I think you’re the most beautiful creature ever to grace this earth, and I always want you to be yourself around me. Never feel like you have to hide who you are. This doesn’t define you, your actions do.” He leaned forward and kissed her.

Buffy changed once again, fearing Spike might cut his lips on her fangs, and his blood… Her demon was screaming for his blood. She kissed him back, gently, as her arms wound around him. Spike shifted his body to lay with her on the soft ground.

Spike quickly forgot his inexperience with women, as he lay next to Buffy, kissing her. His body burning with a desire he’d never felt before, allowed his kisses to deepen.

They were interrupted by a noise coming from the other side of the crypt. They both stilled immediately, Spike trying to catch his breath and shift back into Slayer mode, Buffy adjusting her shirt, preparing to attack whatever beastie came around the corner. They slowly stood and motioned to the other to go around the opposite side. Creeping towards the sound that was now clearly voices, they readied themselves for battle.

“Spike! Buffy! I thought I might find you guys out here. Hope I didn’t interrupt anything. ,” Clem said as he saw them both ready to pounce on him.

"Clem! I thought you were a demon! Well... you know what I mean. I thought you might be an evil one." Spike exclaimed as he bent over, taking the deep breaths to calm himself.

Buffy laughed, and said, “So, gonna introduce us to your friend?” She was still smoothing her clothes as she spoke.

Clem looked at Spike as he stood up, and gave him an obvious wink. “This is my friend Tara. She works at the Magic Box. You know, the magic shop across from the theater? We figured we’d find you guys here, and we brought Chinese food. Hungry?”

The shy blond standing with Clem smiled sweetly and nodded her greeting.

Spike was hungry, but he knew they needed to patrol. Plus, more time alone with his goddess of the night.

Buffy looked to Spike and shrugged. “It’s up to you. We can eat now, and patrol later, or patrol now and eat later. Clem, that is if you will save us some.”

Spike looked around the cemetery. “It’s actually pretty dead tonight, no pun intended, dear. I say we eat now, then patrol through the night.”

Once they were all in agreement, they headed back to Clem’s crypt.


__________




The next few nights seemed to follow the same routine, Buffy and Spike fooling around and then hanging out with Clem and Tara before patrolling and dusting the occasional newly risen vamp. Spike had never been so happy. He had friends, a home, and Buffy.

He couldn’t deny his feelings for her, but he had to admit to himself that on some level, their strange attraction concerned him. He was drawn to her like a moth to a flame. But why? She was beautiful inside and out… but she was a vampire. A creature he was dedicated to erasing from the earth just a few weeks ago, whom he now he was having erotic fantasies about. And the fact that she was a vampire troubled him, but her being dead disturbed him even more. What did it say about him if the first woman to spark any interest, was a dead one?

He needed more information on Slayers. He needed to know if any other Slayers had ever had relationships with vampires. He’d read nothing about it in the Watchers’ diaries, but he wondered if any of the Slayers ever kept journals. He made up his mind that he would start journaling his life soon. The future Slayers may need information from him, and he planned on leaving it for them.


__________



Buffy had told Spike to meet her at her place at sunset, with an overnight bag. Angel would be expecting them before daybreak, and she was eager to get on the road.

Clem watched as his friend packed his bag. “Hey, I have something for you.” He dug into his pocket and retrieved an envelope and handed it to him. “It’s not from just me, but mostly the residents around Restfield.”

Spike opened the envelope and found it stuffed with cash. Not large bills, but plenty of them. He closed the envelope and handed it back to Clem. “I can’t accept this.”

“Why? We’ve all seen a huge drop in crime since you’ve been here, and none of us want to see you have to get a regular job to take care of yourself. Besides, you’re going out with your lady. You might want to treat her to something nice.” Clem tucked the envelope in Spike’s duster pocket.

Spike blushed at Clem referring to Buffy being his 'lady', and thinking that it sounded right. “But… It just feels wrong to accept money for doing a job I am destined to do,” Spike explained.

“Look, you didn’t demand payment for keeping us safe like a criminal would, so take this. Consider it a donation to the “Slayer needs to eat” fund. Now, get over to Buffy’s and have a great time.”


__________



Spike found Buffy sitting on the hood of a fully restored, 1959 black DeSoto.

“This is a beautiful car, Buffy. Is it yours?” He walked up to her, fitting himself between her dangling legs,

“Yep. All mine. Perk of the job. Angel bought it for me to travel back and forth to LA. See? The windows have super dark tint so I can even drive during the day if needed.”

Spike put his hands under her behind and pulled her closer to him, nuzzling her neck. “That also means, no one can see inside either.”

Buffy moaned as he nibbled her neck. She wanted him badly, but knew he was still too young. Eager and willing, but young. Too young. Pushing him back, “Ok, mister. That’s enough of that, for now. We need to get on the road.”

Spike opened the driver side door for her, then once she was in, he rushed around to the other side and let himself in.

Buffy was sitting facing him, holding an elegantly wrapped present.

“What’s this?” Spike had never received an actual gift before. In the orphanage, holidays were celebrated but there was no money for the children to have gifts. He had seen picture books of extravagant Christmases and birthday parties, but he himself had never experienced anything so elaborate.

“I got something for you. And since I don’t know when your birthday is, I figured I’d give it to you now.” Buffy passed the package to him, grinning from ear to ear.

Spike was speechless.

“Come on, silly. It isn’t going to open itself!” Buffy was as excited as if the gift was for her.

“Buffy, you shouldn’t have. I’ve never…”

“Open it now, or I will open it for you.” Buffy nudged his arm.

Spike lifted the package and looked for a way to open it without tearing the beautiful paper. He slipped off the bow and set it on the seat next to him, deciding he would keep that forever.

He slid his finger under the tape, releasing the paper and he uncovered a white box.

Buffy grabbed the paper and wadded it up, tossing it into the back seat.

“But I wanted…” Spike exclaimed, but was interrupted again.

“Open that box, William.” She had used his formal name, as she bounced on the seat. “You’re killing me going so slow!”

“I like that bounce, Buffy. If I prolong opening this, will you promise to continue to bounce like that?” He smirked, eyeing her breasts and curling his tongue behind his teeth.

Laughing, Buffy replied, “No, I will not and I might just take it back.” She smiled, and held her hands out for the box.

“Not on your unlife, pet,” and he opened the box. Inside was a leather bound journal. He lifted it out, allowing his hand to caress the cover, his fingers finding the small, tooled design in the bottom corner. He looked closely to find, a heart – with a railroad spike through it

“Do you like it? I figured you could start your own diary now. Maybe you will even write about me in there. ,” Buffy said as she waited for him to say something.

“I love it, Buffy. More than you will ever know. Thank you.” He leaned over and kissed her once more. “And my birthday is next month. On the 9th.”

Buffy’s mind raced. He would be seventeen in less than four weeks. In her head, that was the magic number. An age where he was old enough to date, old enough to… She kissed him once more before reaching for her seatbelt.

“We will have to make sure and celebrate properly then. Now, let’s get going. I can’t wait for you to meet Angel.”

With a roar of the engine, they headed towards the highway.


Chapter End Notes:
Please review, I want to know what you think. Really.