Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to Sanity Fair for her beta-reading and advice. If you see a mistake it is undoubtedly because I was too stubborn to take her advice.
I did not want to join William for lunch with his brother and sister. We’d only known each other for a couple of weeks. Yes, the sex was amazing, but that didn’t mean we were at the family introduction stage. Added to that, was the fact that they clearly had some family drama going on, and I worried that my presence would prevent them from discussing it and lead to a generally awkward experience for all. I tried to explain this all in a gentle but firm tone. I failed. He looked at me with those ridiculously blue eyes of his and this sad puppy being kicked to the side expression, and I heard myself promising to go.

I tried to convince myself it wasn’t a bad decision. Whatever future we had or didn’t have I cared about him and he needed the moral support of my company. Besides, I thought, it’s just lunch. I figured we’d all enjoy some iced tea and salads while they regaled me with amusing anecdotes from William’s childhood and chided him for not coming home often enough.

By the time we headed over to the café, I had almost convinced myself it was going to be fun. I should have known better. William had barely spoken all morning. He walked stiffly by my side looking more like a man headed to an execution than one with lunch plans. When I slipped my hand into his and gave it a quick squeeze he gave me a grateful smile.

He looked ahead toward the café before speaking. “They will no doubt love you aside from your questionable taste.”

I turned a surprised, angry face to him. “I have great taste.”

“I meant me, love. They won’t understand why you would be with me.”

I sighed. “Because I have great taste.” I rose up on my toes and kissed his cheek. “It’s going to be fine. It’s just lunch. They’re your family.”

We arrived at the café first, chose the most isolated table for four and ordered a couple of iced teas for the wait. It was a surprisingly long wait. William’s siblings were nearly forty minutes late.

I was asking William if he thought we should call them to see if they wanted to reschedule when they arrived with a fuss of noise and irritation.

They’d barely walked through the door before Drusilla called out angrily. “Well, is no one going to help us then?” She glanced around the café without hiding a small frown of displeasure.

William sighed heavily before standing up. “Drusilla, dear, I told you this was a casual establishment. You are expected to walk yourself to the table.”

She smiled broadly, and I realized that she was gorgeous. They both were. William’s siblings were tall, dark, and stylish. “There you are, you naughty boy. We’ve been looking for you everywhere.”

I watched this whole interaction, I’m sure, with my mouth open wide. Angel and Drusilla, the names should have been the first clue. William had told me that Angel was actually a nickname, but was more commonly used than his brother’s real name. You would think a guy wouldn’t want such a feminine moniker. Angel was apparently unconcerned. They were like no one I’d ever seen outside of a movie. First off, they reeked of money. Yes, that’s right: reeked, like fish left on the pier after the market’s closed. I like to dress well, I’ll admit it, but I try for a classic style. I splurge on well-made standards. These two looked like they’d never bought an off-the-rack item in their lives. They moved with an odd sort of grace, almost animalistic, and they did it in unison, her hand tucked in the crook of his elbow. They looked more like a couple than brother and sister. Icky, I know.

Angel reached for William first and pulled him into a brief hug. “Willie!” He smacked him on the back a few times, and I have to admit I worried that he might break him.

William attempted to respond with dignity. “Liam.” He nodded towards the giant who bore him no resemblance at all before accepting the hand Drusilla had thrust in his direction. He bowed down to kiss her knuckles as though he’d done it a hundred times. “Drusilla.” I’m sure I was gawking, everyone in the café was, and no one else was coming to the rapid realization that they were sleeping with a character from a penny dreadful. Who were these people?

“You have a lot of apologizing to do, my little brother.”

“Please, have a seat and lower your voice. We are causing a scene.”

She laughed at that, but did, once Angel pulled a chair out for her to sit down.

Angel sat down as well and turned toward me with a flirty grin. It was the kind of look that would normally get my engines going. Hell, I’ll say it straight out. William’s brother is exactly the type I usually go for. He is solidly six foot of muscles, tanned skin, and thick dark hair. He walked with a confidence that bordered on pure arrogance and looked at me like he knew every sinful secret thought or fantasy I’d ever had. Without turning away, he asked, “And who have we here, Willie boy? You’ve been holding out on me.” He waggled his eyebrows at me.

“Yes,” Drusilla added with a pout. “Why did you bring your secretary? This was supposed to be a family reunion.”

William looked like he wanted to die. He glared at his sister. “Drusilla!” He whispered harshly. “Have you no manners at all? This is my friend, my…my girlfriend, Buffy Summers. She is a writer.”

Drusilla finally turned to look at me. “Oh, is that what you told him? Well, aren’t you clever? I’ll bet William just ate that up. He does like to play at this gypsy, writer nonsense. No matter though. You won’t be getting his money.” She giggled as my face turned red with anger and embarrassment.

“Dru! Buffy, I’m so sorry, love. Drusilla, what the bloody hell are you thinking?”
“You’ve had your fun, William. Now it’s time for you to come home. You can’t expect your poor fiancée to keep waiting while you frolic with tramps.” She turned back to me with a self-satisfied grin. “He did mention that he’s to be married soon, didn’t he?”


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts?