Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the second posting of FI this week. I mention that both to brag and so anyone who missed the first one will know to go check it out before reading this. :) Thanks to jhuntnifer for the read through. *hugs her* And thanks to everyone who has left me lovely comments. *hugs you all* All your sweet words made me work extra hard on the next chapter so that I could give this one to you early. It could work again. I'm just saying. ;)
I got back to the cottage at 6:00 and actually considered giving my agent a call. I didn’t do it, but I considered it and that seemed like a good sign. Instead I decided to go for a quick jog on the beach. I had plenty of time to get in a good workout and then a shower before I had to be ready for dinner with my neighbor. Dinner with my neighbor is a totally innocent evening activity. It’s wholesome even.

I pulled on the yoga style pants and tank top that I usually wear at the gym, grabbed my IPod, and tied my sneakers tightly. I have cute sneakers; they’re chocolate brown with bright blue edging and that adorable kangaroo on the side. They also have a pocket which I used to store my cottage key. I always knew that pocket would come in handy someday.

I headed down towards the water’s edge with a feeling of righteousness for finally using the shoe pocket and for deciding to work out while on vacation and started off with the pace I usually take on the treadmill. I realized two things right away. One, the treadmill really does not simulate the resistance of natural sand very well and two, my sneakers were being destroyed. Deciding that an excellently toned rear end was probably worth the loss of my sneakers, and considering which color I would get as their replacement, I turned up my tunes and went for the burn. I am not one of those people that like to work out in silence. It has nothing to do with not liking to be alone with my thoughts. Seriously, I can think loudly enough to hear myself over music. Besides I’m a writer, I am all too entertained by my own thoughts. Nope, I just like to have music to keep me pumped. I read somewhere that there have been studies that show that people who listen to fast music burn more calories than those who don’t. So, take that Miss “Oh, you listen to music? I just can’t imagine missing out on the sounds of nature while I run”.

Yeah, I’m working on some anger issues.

After about forty five minutes my legs felt like jelly and I had a lovely adrenaline buzz. My sneakers were nearly as bad as I had expected, so I left them on the porch and headed in for a shower.

I took the time to dry my hair and even added a few curls to the ends and then had to decide what to wear. This presented numerous problems. It wasn’t a date, but that was no excuse for me not to look nice. Also, I had no idea where we were going. For the briefest of moments I considered running next door to ask. I giggled at the image of a girl in a bathrobe knocking on her date’s door to find out where they were going. It was funny. I’d have to find a story to use it in. Not that my dinner with William was a date.

It was clear to me that dinner with William was about being a good neighbor, never mind that I usually can’t even remember the names of my closest neighbor back home.

I finally decided upon a simple, navy blue cotton, A-line style dress. The hem came to just below my knee and the scoop neckline showed lots of collarbone, but no cleavage. The result was cute, not sexy. Actually, that is usually the result when I get dressed. I’m just more of a cute girl than a sultry one, not that I can’t get that message across when I need to. Since that wasn’t the message I was trying to send and since William isn’t so very tall anyway, I slipped on a pair of red flats. I figured that they would also help keep the dress from looking too fancy in case we were going somewhere casual. I threw the essentials into my white clutch and grabbed a thin white cardigan in case it got cooler at nightfall. I looked in the mirror, realized that I looked like Fourth of July Barbie and headed back towards the closet to change.

I didn’t get a chance. William knocked on my door at exactly 8:00.

I couldn’t help but laugh as I opened the door. “Well, we can tell your mother that she has certainly raised a prompt young man.” I grinned as I took in his freshly ironed shirt and khakis. These were still a touch too large for him, but were definitely in better condition. He had clearly tried to dress for dinner, so I was glad that I had chosen a dress. “Hello, William.”

He laughed. “My mother does not share my dedication to timeliness. In fact, she has often remarked that it may be a sign that there was a horrid mix up at the hospital.”

“So you’re the rebel of the family?”

He looked surprised by the question for a moment and then smiled. “Yes.”

It was my turn to laugh. “Good to know. So, Mr. Black Sheep, where are we going?”

“I made a reservation at Antonio’s, if that is acceptable. They are…well they are the only place on the island open past 8:00 on a weekday.”

“Really?” I had known that the island was small and that there weren’t a lot of businesses, but having spent most of my life near L.A, it would never have occurred to me that the few places that were on the island would close so early.

William mistook my surprise for dismay or disapproval or something else bad and proceeded to stammer for a moment. “Oh but if you do not wish to…if you would rather…I—I”

“It sounds great, William. I was just surprised.” I laughed. “I guess this whole island life thing takes some getting used to. I’m from Los Angeles, where lots of places never seem to close for the night.”

I watched as he nodded twice. He’d used some sort of hair gel and tried to slick his hair back. It wasn’t really working. I smiled when his nodding helped a couple of the curls in the front escape. He must have noticed me looking because he immediately frowned and pushed them back. I was tempted to tell him not to bother, that the curls were kind of perfect, but it didn’t seem like an appropriate comment for a non-date. Instead I asked what time our reservation was for.

“Eight-thirty, if that’s—”

“Perfect. That should give us plenty of time to walk there.”

He smiled broadly. “That was just what I was going to suggest. Although, I do have a rental car here if you prefer.”

“Nope.” I shook my head. “Let’s do this island style. Let me grab my stuff.” I quickly walked back to the bedroom and picked up the sweater and clutch I had selected earlier. I reminded myself that it wasn’t a date and walked back to the front. “All right, I’m set. Let’s go.” I joined him on the porch and locked the front door. You can never be too careful.

William smiled and then frowned. “I…that is…”

“William?”

“Right. I am wondering if it is acceptable for me to mention that you look lovely.”

I studied him for a moment and realized that though he looked a little uneasy, he was teasing me. I grinned. “That does seem like the neighborly thing to do under the circumstances.”

His smile reached his eyes and those eyes were pretty enough to take my breath away. I took hold of the arm he offered with a grin. I mean, who still offers a girl their elbow? Adorable.

We walked for a few moments before he spoke again. He kept his gaze forward while he did it. “You look especially beautiful this evening, Buffy.” He said the words casually, but I could feel the tension in his body and knew that he was nervous.

“Thank you, William. You look very nice too.” I felt him relax a little after that and so I did as well. “It really does get a lot cooler in the evening here, doesn’t it?” I know; I made weather chat. I’m not really proud of it either.

“Are you too cold? I could go back for the car.”

“No, thank you. I’m good. I was just noticing is all. A couple hours ago it was too warm for sleeves and now it’s all brrr.”

He chuckled. “I believe tomorrow is expected to be much the same and that there is a good chance for a thunder storm tomorrow evening.”

The weather chat held us over until we reached the restaurant.


Chapter End Notes:
Review please. :)