Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Sanityfair for beta reading with superstar speed and precision. *hugs* Thanks to jhuntnifer for being my test reader. This fic is still so much like an experiment for me as I try to get a handle on the whole first person deal-e-o, so I am especially grateful for all the kind words and comments. *wipes tear* You all are so sweet.
I woke up feeling great again. I was sleeping much better than I had been, and I was dreaming. For me, that is always a good sign. I suppose, if my creative juices are really flowing, they don’t stop just because I’m asleep. Usually, crazy dreams mean I’m writing.

I set up my laptop and started making coffee without changing out of my pajamas. I had a few bits of dialogue I needed to get down before they floated away. I also had an idea for a seriously hot sex scene. I usually write chronologically. I like to experience the story along with my characters, so I am always in the same place they are. It just seems more intimate that way, and I think it keeps my stories a touch more realistic, but every once in awhile, I see a completely perfect scene before the characters are ready for it. Sometimes, I just go ahead and write it. It can be a great thing, really pushing me to get the rest of the story written, or it can be a disaster. Sometimes once I have that scene written, I just don’t feel any need to finish the rest. It’s a risk. I decided to go ahead and write it.

Two thousand words later, I heard a knock on my door. The sound startled me, and I scowled. Thinking it was just rude to knock on someone’s door so early, I glanced at the clock on the bottom right side of my screen. It was almost noon. Oh. Not so early.

I was still only wearing a tank top and a pair of sleep pants, but I decided I was decent enough. Besides, adding a robe to the mix wasn’t going to make it less obvious I was still in my jammies at noon. I answered the door and smiled.

“William, Good Morning.”

He took in my attire with wide eyes. “Oh dear, I’ve clearly disturbed you. Allow me to apologize, I…”

I laughed. “Nope. No disturbing. I was writing this morning, and I guess I just forgot about everything else. Now is a good time for a break,” I shrugged, “and maybe a shower.”

He still looked sort of flushed, but he smiled. “That is why I stopped by.”

My eyebrows shot up. “You stopped by because I need a shower?” I was teasing. It was fun.

“What! No. I…I meant the writing. I was...” He shook his head and sighed heavily. “I am going over to the mainland this afternoon to pick up some supplies. I ran out of ink for my printer, and there’s no place here that carries it. The market would order it for me, but I rather enjoy the trip, and I would like to have it this evening so I can do a bit of editing.”

I stopped him. “You edit on paper?”

He laughed. “I know, I’m terribly old fashioned, and it is far more efficient to make my changes directly on the bloody computer.” He said it all as though it had been said to him a dozen times then shrugged. “The point of this all is, I am making the trip and thought I should ask if you needed anything. I don’t mind making a few extra stops if you’d like me to bring something back for you.”

“Oh.” I stared at him for a moment thinking he was just too sweet for words. “Can I come?” The words were out of my mouth before I even thought about it.

William looked just as surprised. “You…you’d like to join me?”

It was my turn to blush. “I would. I mean, if you were hoping for a quiet day, then you should totally feel free to say so. I don’t want to impose, but yeah—I…”

“No! Or rather, yes. Of course, I would enjoy your company.” He was grinning broadly, so I knew that he wasn’t just being polite. I don’t have a lot of friends I have to worry about that with, but I knew that William would be one.

“Great. What time were you planning to leave?”

William narrowed his eyes and nodded towards my living room. “When did Maggie come over?”

I turned to follow his gaze. Sure enough, Maggie the Cat was making herself at home on the couch. Shaking my head, I laughed. “I don’t know. I haven’t opened the door since I got back last night. Maybe she slipped in then, and I’ve just not noticed.”

“No. I’m certain she was screeching at me for dinner near midnight last night.” He shrugged. “Sneaky little bit.” We both stared at the completely uninterested feline for a few seconds. “At any rate, there is a ferry at twenty after one. Will that give you enough time to prepare?”

“Plenty.” I was tempted to tease that his question suggested I was a high maintenance girl, or that it would take a great deal of work to make me presentable, but I resisted the urge. “This is going to be fun! I need to shower and stuff. Do you want to hang here, or should I just come over to your place when I’m ready?”

He looked down at me, then back at the cat. “I should—there are a few things I need to—take care of.” He was clenching his jaw.

I shrugged. “Okay. I will be over soon.”

I showered quickly and had already decided on an outfit before I got out. It was warm and sunny, and I was going on a boat. Sure it was just a ferry, but it is still a boat, and a boat ride calls for a special outfit. I pulled on my favorite tan capri pants, and a black cotton halter top I’m not too modest to tell you makes my breasts look great. I figured the low back would be good since I was trying to even out my tan a bit. Yes, tanning is bad. Please, don’t send letters. I smoothed some styling lotion into my hair and pulled it up for a high ponytail. A quick glance at the clock told me I was doing great time wise. I picked earrings, sandals and even slid on a few bracelets. My sunglasses went in a large brown shoulder bag along with a bottle of water, lip gloss, and a few other essentials. I was ready to go in twenty three minutes. I even had time to eat a yogurt; which was good since I’d forgotten to eat the toast I’d made for breakfast.

I considered trying to shoo Maggie out before I left, but she looked too comfortable to be bothered. I settled on putting out a bowl of water and just hoping that she could hold her business until I got back.

“Hi!” I called out excitedly as I knocked on William’s door. I grinned when he opened it. “See, I’m totally fast.” His lips twitched, and I realized my funny. “I meant I can get ready quickly.” He chuckled, and I swatted his arm. “William!” I pretended to be shocked, but he didn’t buy it.

He grabbed a backpack from the floor and slid one arm through its straps. It completed his shaggy haired grad student look to perfection. “Let’s go then. If we hurry, we can get some ice cream for the trip.”

What can I say? He had me at ice cream.

Thirty minutes later William was sitting on a bench on the ferry eating two scoops of vanilla with multi-colored sprinkles out of a cup. I was braver; I went with strawberry in a waffle cone. A few drips of melty ice cream were not going to keep me from the sheer perfection that is a still warm waffle cone. I ate it, bending slightly over the rail so all the drips hit the water instead of my pants, William didn’t bother to hide the fact he was laughing at me.

Finishing, just as the ferry left port, I walked over and joined William on the bench.

He grinned and pointed towards his mouth. “You have a little…”

I gave my lips a quick swipe with my tongue. “Better?”

“Um.” He frowned slightly, and reaching into his pocket, pulled out an honest-to-god cloth handkerchief. “May I?” He gestured towards my face, and I continued to stare in shock at the bright white square of fabric in his hand. Who still carries a handkerchief? “Buffy?”

“Oh! Please.” I pursed my lips, lifted my chin and tried not to laugh as he wiped at a spot on my cheek. I giggled when he stopped. “Better now?”

“Perfect.” He was looking at me with soft eyes and this shy little smile; I felt an urge to kiss him. I resisted, but I couldn’t really deny that my heart was racing. I wondered if it had been a bad idea to join him on his trip. I wondered if he was hoping for more than I was ready to give. I was sure that hurting him was the last thing I wanted to do. I was going to have to be more careful.

I tried for a casual smile. “Thanks, bud.” I know; subtlety is a lost art where I am concerned. I went back to stand at the rail and enjoy the scenery.

William came to stand beside me a moment later. “It is lovely isn’t it?”

I nodded without looking away from the vast blue of ocean. A few seconds later I gasped. “Look!” I pointed towards a bit of white water in the distance. “Is it a dolphin?”

He squinted in the direction I was pointing at. “Hmm…I don’t know. It’s possible.”

I laughed at the careful neutrality of his tone. “So, I’m guessing not, huh?”

“I don’t believe so.” He tilted his head and leaned closer to me. “We are probably too late today, but perhaps another day we might go on one of the many whale watching tours I have seen advertised.”

“That sounds fun.”

“How long are planning to stay at Camponassett?” William wanted to know if he was going to get more chances to see me, so he just asked. I’m not really used to that kind of straight forwardness from guys. Or maybe I’m just not used to someone wanting to spend time with me after I’ve made it clear sex won’t be in the picture. Either way, I liked it.

I shrugged. “I reserved the cottage for a month, but I hadn’t really decided if I would stay that long. I suppose I might stick around even longer if I can keep writing here; off season rates on the cottage are pretty reasonable.”

His smile grew, and I knew he was happy with my answer. I also knew the warm feeling in my stomach had nothing to do with sun.