Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the last of the trial scenes! C'est fin!!! I appreciate everyone that has been reading and reviewing. I know that the four chapters for the trial was long. But since I've been through with all the other chapters, I didn't feel that it was right to skimp on the Trial. Hope you enjoy!
The following morning Buffy was begrudgingly summoned from her restless sleep by the persistent command of the alarm clock. After an hour of crying last night her exhausted body collapsed under the weight of its demands for sleep. Now that the clouds of sleep had cleared Buffy knew that morning was here. Her stomach knotted with the thoughts of what that truly meant.

She wanted to crawl deeper into her comforter. Cocoon herself in goose down and fabric, in an attempt to keep away the outside world. Maybe if she didn’t greet the day then time would stand still. She knew that this was just wishful thinking, but her hopes remained. Again, the alarm made its presence known. Her hand shot out from its confines as she blindly searched for the destroyer of dreams and silence. Once her hand met with its plastic home, she slammed her palm down, as she finally suppressed the sound. Her hand snaked back into her warm haven, as she opened her puffy and reddened eyes. Buffy mentally willed her body to move. After several moments, she threw her shelter away as the cold air of the morning assaulted her once cozy form.

As Buffy numbly stepped into the hot spray of the shower, she became grateful that her flowing tears were washed away down the drain, hopefully with her feelings of anguish and self- loathing.

Spike pulled himself out of bed with a brighter outlook on life than he has had in the last several weeks. As he combed his bleached locks into his usual slicked back style, he studied his reflection that stared back at him through the steam-covered glass. Yesterday was the turning point that he needed, to finally move on. Strangely, Buffy herself had started the process in motion.

When she had brought forward that bastard Angelus, it opened his eyes for the first time that Buffy wasn’t as perfect as he perceived or she claimed to be. After he had told Buffy what he thought of her and her actions, he felt a freedom that liberated his weighted heart. He had felt a sense of peace that he hasn’t felt in sometime.

‘I’ve got my rocks back now! I’m no longer her whipping boy!’ His inner Spike announced in rebellion, as he donned his muscular form with his most expensive suit and favorite scarlet tie. Well, it wasn’t his favorite, more of his second favorite. His good luck charm, his beloved crimson silk tie, the one he had won numerous cases in, was still missing. Spike tore apart his apartment on the hunt for his charm, to no avail. He even had his local dry cleaners search their place for it. Still nothing.

‘Bloody must be where the laundry gnomes take that one sock that I always loose in the wash.’ Spike inwardly joked as he finished tying his black $500 JM Weston shoes. He stood before his full-length mirror as he inspected the finished product. ‘Handsome bloke I am. Need to gain back some weight, but otherwise….’ Spike thought as he grabbed his black trench and briefcase. With a final scan of his condo to make sure he hadn’t forgotten anything, he left on his way to court.

Despite her difficulty in becoming motivated this morning, Buffy arrived in the courthouse before Spike. Buffy hoped that maybe she could talk to him. At least apologize for being sneaky with Angelus and maybe ask, or even beg, that he could forgive her for how their relationship ended. More specifically how she ended their relationship. She knew that it was a long shot. If the way he looked and spoke to her yesterday was any indication, she knew that was a big no.

In her mind’s eye, she daydreamed that he would forgive her immediately. Sweep her into his muscular arms, as he placed loving and toe-curling kisses upon her mouth. Instantly, her imagination changed from romantic to erotic.

Suddenly, the backdrop of the courthouse melted away and was replaced by her bedroom. Shadows of candlelight played across his flawless nude form, as he worshiped her body completely. He brought her to completion time and time again with his talented mouth, hands and cock. Lost in her fantasy, Buffy’s body crested with another ‘dream’ orgasm. Her mouth framed in a silent moan, as the loud sounds of the courthouse halls, shook her from her thoughts.

Buffy fluttered her eyelids as the realization of where she truly was, slammed into her mind like a freight train. She tried desperately to get her bearings. Her brow and upper lip felt moist with perspiration. Half crescent marks adorned her palms, since her hands were balled into tight fists throughout her daydream. Her breaths were quick short pants, as she tried to control her bodily reaction to her fantasy. Buffy stood and with a shaky gait, walked towards the nearest ladies room. As she moved, she felt the evidence of her climaxes, as it dampened her panties and upper inner thighs.

After she cleared away the residual effects from her imagination, she stood in front of the bathroom mirror. Her face flushed, eyes wild and unfocused as she clutched the sides of the porcelain sink. After several moments, Buffy turned on the cold water, as she placed her cupped hands under the stream. She splashed several handfuls of cold water on her blushed, heated face in an attempt to focus her mind. Buffy’s mind finally focused, as the coldness permeated her mind and brought her back into reality.

Buffy looked up into the mirror as she tried to focus. She mentality prepped herself for the day and more importantly seeing Spike for the last time. Buffy looked down at her Gucci watch and started to scramble to dry herself off. It was five minutes before court was in session. Due to this, she burned through her time that she could speak with Spike alone. ‘I’ll do it after court. Hopefully he’ll listen.’ Buffy thought as she moved quickly towards Judge Snyder’s courtroom.

Buffy arrived to her seat with seconds to spare, as the bailiff’s voice rang out the arrival of Judge Snyder. William noticed immediately from his peripheral vision, Buffy’s clearly shaken form as they stood waiting for the judge’s arrival. She braced her upper body with her unsteady hands on the prosecution table, as her face held an unfocused gaze. When the bailiff instructed to the court that they could take their seats, Buffy’s form fell in an ungraceful heap upon her chair.

William wanted to go to her. Pull her uneasy form into his arms and console her on whatever vexed her so. Then his inner Spike had other ideas. ‘Mate, snap out of it! She brought this upon herself. You reap what you sow and whatnot. Stay strong….stay strong.’ William’s eyes moved forward to focused completely on the judge. Judge Snyder instructed William to present his next witness. His last witness, Ms. Darla Masters.

Despite William’s protests for Darla not to testify on her own behalf, she demanded that she would be put on the stand. In addition to Wolfram and Hart’s and her father’s backing, William didn’t have any other option then to comply.

“Your honor, the defense calls forward Ms. Darla Masters.” William announced to the court.

Ms. Masters eloquently walked forward to take her place on the witness stand. Her petite form was donned in a conservative; black tailored pants suit, with a teal silk blouse underneath. Simple diamond earrings adorned her ears and a simple gold chain with a teardrop solitaire diamond pendant completed the outfit. Ms. Masters’ blond hair was coiffed in a sophisticated chignon that accentuated her attractive features. Once she sat, William began with a brief statement of reassurance for her benefit.

“Good Morning Ms. Masters. I understand that this is a trying time on you. Due to the nature of the alleged crime, Attorney Summers and myself are going to have to ask you questions that are very personal in nature. If at any time, you need a moment to collect yourself, please feel free to do so.” As on cue, Ms. Masters brought a white lacy hankie to the corner of each eye, as she wiped away non-existence tears.

“Ms. Masters, is it alright if I address you as Darla?”

“Please, I’d rather you call me Darla.”

“Thank you Darla. Now what is your relationship with the alleged victim, John Doe?”

“That night was the first time we’d had met. We were set up on a blind date, which I told him to meet me at my penthouse. Well, before we went out, one thing lead to another….I thought he was a nice guy! Not some freak! I never thought it would result in this!” Ms. Masters placed her face into her hands, as her shoulders shook with tears. Or so the court thought. After several moments, she looked up, as she dabbed under her eyes. Which were already completely dry.

Buffy wanted to yell her objection that she called John Doe a freak, but she held steady. Due to the mock ‘waterworks’ she didn’t want to appear heartless to the jury. She knew that the jury would see through her charade soon enough.

“I understand Darla. As I said before, this is very difficult. Let’s take this one step at a time. When you refer to one thing lead to another, were you referring to sex?”

“Yes. But we never ended up having sex.”

“When you referred to John Doe as a ‘freak’, what exactly do you mean by that?”

“Well, we were kissing and then some foreplay. Before we were about to have sex, he told me that he wanted to do something kinky. I said sure. Then he pulled out this wicked looking whip and a candle.”

After William picked up the evidence bag, announcing to the court as defense exhibit A, he showed this to Ms. Masters.

“Is this the whip that you are referring to?”

“Yeah. He told me that he wanted me to hit him with it. On his back. I didn’t notice the bloody welts that he already had there, until he turned around and put his hands against my wall.”

“So your testifying that his back was covered with welts when he turned around?”

“Yes.”

“So he requested for you to whip him, after he asked you to put the candle wax on his body?”

“Objection your honor. Defense is leading the witness.” Buffy announced.

“Sustained. Question stricken from the record. Jurors please ignore the last question. Attorney Eros…” Judge Snyder stated

“Which did he present to you first, the candle or the whip?”

“The candle.” William stopped her right there and walked over to the defense table. He picked up another evidence bag and announced “Defense exhibit B, a candle that was found at Ms. Darla Masters’ home.”

“Please Darla, continue.”

“Well, he lit the candle and told me that he wanted me to drip it on his naked body. He told me that he liked it done to his chest, stomach and his privates.”

“His privates? Could you elaborate Darla?”

“His penis and testicles.”

“Thank you. So John Doe asked you to drip hot wax on his body, then he asked you to whip him?”

“Yes.”

“Did you place the wax on his body?”

“Yes. I didn’t want to! He told me that it would help him get off. So I did it!” Ms. Masters theatrically wailed. Again her head landed into her hands, as her upper body shook with sorrow. Buffy’s eyes rolled as she thought to herself ‘and the Oscar goes to….’

“Do you need a moment Darla?” William asked

“Yes.” A mumbled response came from behind her hands. After several moments, she looked up again, and there were a few tears that dampened her face.

“Are you ready to continue?” With a slight head nod, William did. “Let me go back to a statement you made earlier. You stated that you never had sex with John Doe. Why was that?”

“After I put the wax on him, he looked really hurt. I told him that this was all too much and I wanted him to leave. He yelled some nasty words and then I kicked him out.”

“What nasty words were said?”

“He called me a…a…cock tease and that I was a whore. I told him to get out. I didn’t care if he had any more clothes on then his underwear. I just wanted him out.”

“Well, thank you very much Darla. No further questions your honor.” With that William returned to his seat.

“Attorney Summers….” Judge Snyder announced

“Yes thank you your honor. Good morning Ms. Masters. May I call you Darla also?”

“I prefer that you don’t.” Ms. Masters responded

“That’s fine. Ms. Masters, are you familiar with the roles that certain court employees have?”

“I guess.” Ms. Masters stammered with a confused look on her face

“Let me be more specific. Are you aware of the role of a stenographer?” Buffy asked as her hand gestured to the woman who sat off to the side of the judge’s bench.

“No…not really.”

“Well let me briefly explain. A stenographer transcribes spoken or recorded speech into written form. This written form is then filed in the courthouse records, permanently.” Buffy explained

“Are you familiar with the term of perjury?” Buffy asked

“Objection your honor. I don’t see how this line of questioning has to do with this case.” William announced

“Attorney Summers….where are you going with this line of questioning?” Judge Snyder questioned

“Your honor, I wanted to see if Ms. Masters is familiar with the court’s terminology for not giving true statements on the stand.” Buffy explained

“Attorney Summers, it is the jury’s responsibility to determine who is telling the truth. Not yours. Move on.” Judge Snyder urged

“Thank you your honor. Now Ms. Masters, you had stated earlier that you had just met John Doe that evening is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“You also stated that you were set up on a ‘blind date?”

“Yes.”

“Who was the ‘match maker’ that set up this ‘blind date’?”

“It was a mutual friend of ours.” Ms. Masters explained

“Now was this mutual friend of yours, did you know he or she on a personal or professional level?”

“I guess I knew her on a personal level.”

“You guess?”

“No, not guessing. A personal level.”

“Thank you. Now, is this person affiliated, more specifically the madam, of a well known escort service in downtown Boston?”

“Objection your honor.” William protested

“On what grounds Attorney Eros?”

“On the grounds that this common affiliate, had never testified on the prosecution’s behalf, and their profession can never be truly known or confirmed.”

“Objection sustained. Have that last question stricken from the record. Jurors please ignore that last question. Attorney Summers.” Judge Snyder instructed.

Buffy didn’t care that her statement was taken back. The judge could instruct the jurors to ignore the statement, but it’s already out there.

“Ms. Masters you claimed that John Doe brought the whip and candle to your home is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“Now if you felt that he was a ‘freak’, which was your word, why did you indulge his requests of the hot candle wax?”

“I….I didn’t mind doing that. If that was what he wanted. Everyone has their own sexual desires, who am I to judge him?”

“That is true Ms. Masters. But isn’t calling him a freak doing just that?” Before she could respond Buffy asked another question.

“Now Ms. Masters what is your relationship with Angelus?” Ms. Masters’ face flushed a deep hue of pink, as she started to fidget in her seat. After several moments of no response, Buffy prompted her.

“Well….Ms. Masters, what is the nature of your relationship with Angelus?”

“We…ummm….we’ve slept together.” Ms. Masters whispered

“Excuse me Ms. Masters. You need to speak louder so the stenographer and the jury can hear your response.” Daggers shot from Ms. Masters’ gaze as she responded again

“We’ve slept together.”

“Thank you. Now when you ‘slept together’ are you referring to sex?”

“Yes”

“Could this sex be considered risqué in nature?” Buffy asked.

“Objection your honor. This line of questioning does not hold relevance to this case.” William proclaimed.

“Your honor, the history of Ms. Masters’ sexual experience does hold relevance when it shows a pattern of S & M practices.” Buffy retorted.

“Attorney Eros, your objection is overruled. Attorney Summers, tread lightly.” Judge Snyder instructed.

“Thank you your honor. Ms. Masters your sexual relationship with Angelus does it consist of S & M practices?” Ms. Masters’ face tightened as it looked like she wanted to tell Buffy to ‘fuck off.’ She looked over to William, as he shook his head instructing her silently to not say anything rash. Ms. Masters took a deep breath and continued.

“Yes one could say that.”

“Are you one of those that could say that?”

“Yes.”

“Ms. Masters could you be more specific? What type of S & M ‘tools’ are used in your time together?” Ms. Masters closed her eyes as she responded.

“Handcuffs, whip cream and other foods, blind folds, sometimes silk bindings for my arms and legs.”

“What about other instruments? Like whips, candles, paddles or the like?” As her eyes remained closed she responded

“Yes.”

“Yes to?”

“All of it. We have used all of it.” Ms. Masters responded with a small voice.

“So when you have used these props, are you giving or receiving?” Ms. Masters’ eyes snapped open, as real tears started to spill.

“Both. I’ve done both.”

“More specifically, the whip. Do you give or receive?”

“I….I received.” Ms. Masters stated through her sobs.

“And the hot candle wax?” Buffy asked

“Received.” Ms. Masters responded, now in full out crying.

“Thank you Ms. Masters for being truthful. Do you need a moment to collect yourself?” Buffy asked. Ms. Masters mascara smeared eyes flashed at Buffy when she responded

“No…keep going. It doesn’t matter now!”

“Alright. Now Ms. Masters you claim that John Doe had these welts on his back when he arrived is this correct?”

“Yes.” Ms. Masters sniffled

“So you never whipped him?”

“No.”

“Despite your familiarity with utilizing a whip?” Before Ms. Masters could respond, Buffy announced to the court.

“Thank you your honor, no further questions.” Buffy stated as she headed back to the prosecution’s table.

“Attorney Eros, redirection?” Judge Snyder inquired.

“No…no your honor. The defense rests.” William responded.

“Ms. Masters, your excused.” With that Darla left the stand on weak knees. Her head hung low in what appeared to be shame, as she made her way back to her seat.

“Court will be adjourned for an hour, until 2 p.m.” Judge Snyder announced as he gavel made several bangs against the bench. With that, the bailiff announced for the court to rise as he exited. Once he was gone, courtroom started to clear. Buffy wanted to approach Spike to talk. But she knew, now wasn’t the time. ‘Later, I’ll talk to him later.’ Buffy inwardly told herself as she exited the courtroom.

When the courtroom filled after the hour recess, the Judge announced to the jury that each attorney will give their closing arguments.

“Attorney Summers…” Judge Snyder called forward

“Thank you your honor.” As Buffy approached the jury, she smiled brightly then spoke.

“Members of the jury, you have heard testimony from numerous people, both expert and character witnesses. Each telling their own perception of the events that took place in the early morning hours of February 22, 2009 and their perception of Ms. Darla Masters. My job throughout this trial was to provide each of you the information that you needed to make an accurate and legally responsible decision based on the facts in this case."

"The state’s first witness Mr. John O’Malley, the doorman at Ms. Masters’ penthouse, testified that he was there when John Doe had come downstairs from her apartment. He testified to the state that John Doe was in when he found him. Next, I presented two expert witnesses; Mr. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce and Dr. Winifred Burkle. Both testified in their areas of expertise. Mr. Wyndam-Pryce testified that someone who was skilled could wield that whip. Which, based on Ms. Masters’ own testimony that she was. Next was Dr. Winifred Burkle, who testified that the waxy substance found of John Doe’s chest, torso and genitals was indeed candle wax. She also testified that the candle that was found in Ms. Masters’ penthouse was a paper-cored candle, which burns the hottest."

"Again based on Ms. Masters’ testimony she admitted that she did place hot wax on John Doe’s body. The state’s final witness, Angelus, testified that he had a sexual relationship with Ms. Masters which entailed the usage of S & M instruments such as whips and candles. The same instruments that were used upon the victim John Doe.”

“In the past days you’ve heard testimony from the defense’s expert witnesses that are questionable. Dr. Margaret Walsh admitted that wounds heal within an hour after injury. Since John Doe’s injuries were still bleeding when he was seen by the EMTs, within fifteen minutes after he was stopped by John O’Malley, would confirm that these injuries were sustained not more than an hour before he was found. Which conflicts with Dr. Walsh’s testimony of a five hour window of time from when the injury was received and John Doe being examined by the EMTs."

"Next the defense brought forward Mr. Mears. Despite his extensive knowledge of computers, he admitted that there were numerous variables that could alter his program and not show the actual incident that had occurred.”

“For the defense, character witnesses; Father Caleb and Dr. Robin Wood, admitted that the Masters family has donated large sums to each of their affiliations. Which could sway anyone’s thoughts or beliefs about another. Last but not least, Ms. Darla Masters. She herself testified that she is familiar with S & M and that she had participated in numerous forms of risqué sexual behaviors."

" This one question I leave for you, members of the jury to ponder. Was John Doe an outlet for an obviously powerful woman, who no longer wanted to be on the receiving end of the bite of a whip and decided to be the one who gave the bite? Thank you for your time.” With that Buffy returned to her seat.

“Attorney Eros” Judge Snyder called. William approached the jury with the grace and pride of a lion. A beautiful smile graced his handsome features, and then he spoke.

“Ladies and Gentleman of the jury. For the past several days you have been given numerous conflicting testimonies on behalf of how and whom caused these injuries to the alleged victim John Doe. The defense expert witnesses, both Mr. Mears and Dr. Walsh, testified that Ms. Darla Masters does not have the stature nor strength to of caused John Doe’s injuries."

"Dr. Walsh testified that due to the nature of these injuries, that they would bleed with little disturbance and that the injuries could have been caused up to five hours, before he arrived to Ms. Masters’ home. Mr. Mears showed you numerous scenarios via his computer. Each showing that Ms. Masters could not of caused these injuries. "

"The numerous character witnesses that were brought forward, contested that Ms. Masters was active and contributed in her church, Yale University, and with local charities.”

“The state claimed that their expert witness, Mr. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, who testified he is proficient in the area of weaponry. Has himself admitted to frequent S & M clubs and specializes in the usage of whips. He is no way shape or form a novice in wielding a whip and his skills cannot be compared to those of any layperson."

" The next expert witness was a Chemical kineticist, whom did give her testimony that a paper-cored candle does burn the hottest. Which is not in dispute. What is in dispute is the state never proved that this candle belonged to Ms. Masters. Ms. Masters, upon her own testimony, did state that she placed the hot wax upon John Doe’s body. This was after he had presented the candle and instructed her to do so.”

“The other two witnesses are faulty at best. John O’Malley had just returned from administrative leave due to his inappropriate and unacceptable behavior towards Ms. Masters. This gives him ample reason to testify against Ms. Masters on behalf of the state. Next was Angelus. He testified about his relationship with Ms. Masters. One would ask why he chose to do so? Angelus was not called forth by the state. He sought them out and asked Attorney Summers to testify against Ms. Masters. His reasoning was never fully explored during cross-examination, but I have a theory."

" I believe that when Ms. Masters decided that their relationship needed to end, he wanted to get back at her. As both Angelus and Ms. Masters testified, he was the one in control or the sadist in their relationship. In being the sadist, he would want to always remain in control. When Ms. Masters decided to take control back, he upped the stakes and decided to hit her where it would hurt the most, her freedom.”

“Ladies and Gentleman, I hope that you will not join Angelus in taking away the freedom of Ms. Masters. Rendering the judgment of not guilty will ensure that Ms. Masters will be able to take control of her life once more. Thank you for your time.” With that William returned to his seat.

Judge Snyder then instructed the jury of what their role was now, since the trial was completed. After his instructions, the bailiff lead the jury out of the courtroom. Judge Snyder told both attorneys that they will be notified when the jury returns with a verdict. After that, court was dismissed.

Once the courtroom cleared, this included the still distraught Ms. Masters, Buffy approached Spike as he collected his belongings.

“Spike…..good trial.” Buffy stated as stuck out her hand to shake his. Spike looked at her hand as it was a viper and then responded.

“Yeah…..good trial. Very glad that it’s over.”

“Me too. I was wondering if maybe….ummm…..maybe we could talk? Over some coffee?” Buffy inquired.

“Buffy there’s nothing to talk about.” Spike looked at her with a harden gaze.

“Yeah, I know the trials over. There are other things, more important things I would like to talk to you about.” Buffy explained

“Buffy, let me elaborate, there is nothing to talk about. The trial is not the only think that is over. Please excuse me.” With that Spike grabbed his briefcase and left. With a very stunned and hurt Buffy in his wake.


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews help me with knowing if you like my writings.....they are greatly appreciated! Thanks again to Sanityfair for fixing my boo-boos!