Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy. big thanks to SF!!!
Monday Morning……

“Buffy may I speak with you for a moment please?” District Attorney Calendar inquired as she popped her head into Buffy’s cubicle.

“Sure, may I have one moment? I’m reviewing Wolfram and Hart’s sworn affidavit in the Brown case.” Buffy replied.

“Is that the vehicular manslaughter case where there were no witnesses for two years and now that trial is on the horizon there’s one. Well, one has to appreciate the irony that a recently independently wealthy, previously homeless man witnessed the whole incident?” DA Calendar sneered.

“One in the same.” Buffy scoffed.

“Let me guess, an extremely loaded long lost uncle and an unknown will?” DA Calendar queried.
“Great aunt.” Buffy corrected.

“Ah, we’ll see you in fifteen?” DA Calendar asked.

“Yes, thank you, fifteen.” Buffy agreed.

Ten minutes later, Buffy made her way to DA Calendar’s office. The door was slightly ajar. She knocked quietly and awaited a response.

“Come in Buffy.” DA Calendar called.

“You needed to see me District Attorney Calendar?” Buffy asked respectfully.

“Sit down Buffy. Please, it’s Jenny. We have all earned our titles here and don’t need to use them in addressing each other or oneself….it sounds so pompous.” Jenny chuckled.

“Fine, Jenny. You needed to see me?” Buffy inquired.

“Yes. Take a look at this new case that came across my desk this morning. Let me give you a brief synopsis. Multi-millionaire, Bostonian, socialite played a little too rough with the hired help. Darla Masters: 28 years old, attended Yale on daddy’s dime. Majored in business, minored in how to spend daddy’s money. She was picked up late Saturday night/early Sunday morning when a doorman spotted a severely scratched up, limping, very minimally dressed young man with numerous bleeding whip marks down his back. There was also dried wax dotted along his chest, torso, and it appeared to be trailed into the area covered by his leather thong. The young man appeared to be trying to pass the doorman and hail himself a cab like nothing was amiss. The doorman stopped him, brought him in the office and notified the police. The young man, John Doe, wouldn’t, and still won’t tell us his name, nor who did this to him.” Jenny reported.
“So how was Ms. Masters arrested if John didn’t implicate her?” Buffy questioned.

“Well that’s the kicker, he still won’t talk. It’s not a language barrier, he just flat out refuses. Since Jeffery Dahmer, the police don’t overlook shit like this anymore. The only way that the police were able to implicate Ms. Masters was a very upscale, ‘high class’ ladies club sent a driver back to her penthouse an hour after John was found. The driver inquired if Ms. Masters was available and instantly recognized the young man while he sat with officers. The driver told the officers who the young man was, a one Jesse Adams, 24 years old unemployed construction worker, now turned escort.” Jenny explained.

“Put two and two together you have your perp. This seems like a very open and shut case, you want me to work it?” Buffy offered.

“I do,but there’s a catch….” Jenny warned.

“Isn’t there always?” Buffy sighed.

“Yeah, but that’s what makes it exhilarating. Ms. Master’s case is being taken on by your friends and mine, Wolfram and Hart. They’ve assigned their new number one guy to take this…William Eros.” Jenny declared

Jenny could see the fire flare behind Buffy’s eyes. She was hoping this would bring out the fierce lawyer she knew Buffy was had yet to completely show.

“Also,” Jenny started.

“Of course there’s more.” Buffy huffed.

“The case is being heard in Judge Synder’s court.” Jenny said behind a stifled laugh.

“This just gets better and better! That little troll, he needs phone books to see over his bench!” Buffy protested.

“Do you want the case Buffy? If not, I can always have Cordelia Chase take it.” Jenny avowed as she started to pick up the phone to call the other ADA.

“No…No…I’ll eagerly take on this case. I would love to put the screws to Wolfram and Hart and that egomanic William Eros. Doing this all in Synder’s court will be an added bonus.” Buffy affirmed. Buffy brought the folder to her chest with both arms and started to get up from her chair.

“Charges and bail set? When am I due in court?” Buffy queried.

“I trust your judgment Buffy on the bail. We’re sticking with the charges that were made at the time of her arrest; one count of aggravated sexual assault, two counts of assault and battery, two counts of resisting arrest, and one count of assault on a police officer. You’re due at Synder’s for arraignment after lunch.” Jenny responded.

With a brief nod, Buffy turned and left Jenny’s office. She had approximately three hours before she needed to head into battle.



SIDE NOTES:

ASSAULT: An unlawful threat or attempt to do bodily injury to another.
The act or instance of unlawfully threatening or attempting to injure another.


BATTERY: The act of beating or pounding.
The unlawful and unwanted touching or striking of one person by another with the intention of bringing about a harmful or offensive contact.

AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT: is when one commits an aggravated assault of a sexual nature and who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.[1][2][3]

RESISTING ARREST: Eluding a police officer who is attempting to arrest the individual. Using or threatening to use force against an officer during an arrest.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY: is the appointed public official who represents the government in the prosecution of alleged offense criminals. The district attorney is the highest officeholder in the jurisdiction's legal department and supervises a staff of assistant district attorneys. ADA: Assistant District Attorney