Author's Chapter Notes:
I promise Spuffy is coming! Be patient my pretties! Thank you again to Sanityfair!!!!
William was so immersed in the Masters case, more specifically the beautiful ADA. He hadn’t heard his phone until the third ring.

“Yes, Martha” William kindly greeted his paralegal. He was able to tell who was calling prior to answering due to the internal line.
“Attorney Eros, Attorney Manners desires a brief meeting with you this morning. Your schedule appears to be clear until this afternoon. I scheduled the meeting for 11am. Is that alright?” Martha softly asked.

Martha was mid 50ish woman with salt and pepper hair cut into a simple page-boy bob framing her ordinary features. She was extremely kind and painfully shy; barring her discussion of the law. William was pleased to have Martha as his paralegal. She was assigned to him when he arrived at Wolfram and Hart and had become a valuable asset over the last four months.

“Yes Martha, of course. Perhaps you inquired as to the nature of this meeting?” William solicited.

“The Masters case. Do you need me to pull all the files?” Martha questioned.

“No, I have everything I need in here. Thank you, Martha.” William responded.

“You’re welcome, Attorney Eros.” Martha softly spoke then disconnected the call. Over the last four months William insisted Martha call him William. She would smile her shy smile and agree until the next time they talked and she would address him formally again. William didn’t want to make her uncomfortable so he didn’t press the subject.

William glanced at the clock--- 10:15am ‘I have 40 minutes to gather my thoughts.’ William inwardly sighed. William did ponder the Masters case itself…..for ten minutes. For the next 15 minutes his thoughts returned to Miss Summers. The last five minutes he sat and willed away a raging erection that tented his pants.

William arrived at Attorney Manners’ office slightly before 11am . Attorney Manners office spanned half the twelfth floor which accommodated both Liaisons to the Senior Partners; Attorney Holland Manners and Attorney Lilah Morgan. The Senior Partners resided solely on the thirteenth floor. Even though the Senior Partners hired William he had never actually met them nor visited the infamous thirteenth floor.

His first interview was with Attorney McDonald and Attorney Manners. The second and third interviews were with both Liaisons Attorney Manners and Attorney Morgan. All interviews happened on the fourth floor where William now worked.

He was considerably glad that he never met with Attorney Morgan alone. William believed he was generally relaxed when scrutinized and questioned, it came with the job. Overall he never rattled easily, especially around women. But Attorney Morgan….or Lilah as she consistently insisted upon was about as calming as a cornered Tasmanian devil and as sweet as straight absinthe (1). The way that she scrutinized him, he felt that she was either sizing him up for a coffin or a full leather bondage outfit. As the interview progressed he summarized it was the latter.

There was no doubt that Lilah was a classic beauty; with long shapely legs, statuesque figure, shoulder length, russet colored hair and flawless fair skin. The old adage of ‘beauty is only skin deep’ was written for someone like her. Beyond her outward radiance; lay a cold-hearted bitch. William had seen this type of woman before, all gentleness was lost once deciding to rise to the top of their careers. William would never understand how being superior at what you do, meant losing your humanity. Lilah sold her soul long ago in the name of the almighty buck.

Once the elevator door opened, William immediately turned right to enter Attorney Manners’ section of the twelfth floor. Eris’(2) home was to the left. William swore he could feel the corruption pulsating at his back as he advanced toward the large, dark red mahogany doors separating the foyer and Attorney Manners’ office.

Once William entered, he approached Attorney Manners’ secretary seated behind her exquisite brass mounted, black lacquered desk. This piece alone appeared to be worth a year’s salary.

The attractive young woman looked up from her keyboard as William entered and instantly greeted him, a pearly smile forming on her perfectly painted scarlet lips.

“Attorney Eros, how are you this morning? Hope all is well. Please take a seat while I alert Attorney Manners you are here. Would you like some refreshments? Coffee, tea, maybe some Perrier?” The secretary gestured towards the plush leather seats as she spoke in a slightly rehearsed, robotic tempo.

“I’m fine….thank you.” William answered politely.

Manners’ secretary nodded at William’s refusal then promptly returned to her desk and called Attorney Manners to notify him of William’s arrival.

After several minutes the phone rang and the secretary whispered briefly. After she hung up, she stood and stated to William

“Attorney Eros, Attorney Manners is eager to meet with you. Please follow me.” With that she walked toward Attorney Manners’ at the end of a long black tiled hallway with stark white walls. Due to the eerie silence and emptiness of the space, it felt that he was being lead toward his death. He felt as if he were being led to the gallows, not to an office. Once they approached another set of enormous red mahogany doors the secretary paused and knocked. She waited for a muffled response before she opened one of the doors. She entered first, turned and placed her back against the door before the arm closest to the room gestured for William to enter.

Once William entered the door firmly closed behind him and it took all his willpower not to flee.

“William….please sit.” Attorney Manners stated firmly.

William approached Manners massive desk, it was exactly the same as his secretary’s, but double the size. Probably triple the price. Attorney Manners looked up from his work his gaze penetrated William. With a slight nod, he motioned to the two seats in front of his desk for William. Despite how comfortable the butter-soft black leather club chair was William felt he was sitting upon a bed of nails.

“Attorney Manners, you requested to see me?” William spoke strongly, much stronger that he actually felt.

“Attorney Eros….it has been brought to my attention by your team leader Attorney McDonald, you have been assigned the Darla Masters’ case. Just as with all our cases how the client is represented and the outcome is of the utmost importance to our firm. The Masters family has been affiliated with Wolfram and Hart for hundreds of years; when our firm was still in Europe and the United States were still known as the colonies. The Masters family is one of the cornerstones of our firm. Any and all cases involving their family are a number one priority.” Attorney Manners stressed

“Of course sir.” William assured.

“You came highly recommended from our branch in London. Even though you were not one of our attorneys….excuse me barristers, you’ve made quite a name for yourself. Since your arrival here you’ve been the ‘one to watch’ so to speak. It is imperative that these qualities are utilized on this case. Just let’s say that this case may ‘make or break’ your legal career here, not only at Wolfram and Hart, but in the city of Boston.” Manners vowed.

William felt a knot form in his throat as he slowly swallowed the jumble traveled down until it landed heavily into his stomach.

“Attorney Manners, I assure you this case has and will continue to receive my undivided attention. The utmost care will be given to Miss Masters and her family in this extremely trying time.” William explained.

“That’s precisely what I needed to hear. Good day Attorney Eros.” With that Attorney Manners resumed his paperwork, immediately dismissing William.

“Thank you, sir. Good day.” William responded, though he knew full well Attorney Manners did not hear his reply nor did he acknowledge is existence in his office.

William left Attorney Manners’ office quietly at a fast paced gait. Once he arrived in the reception area he softly gave a “thank you” to the secretary as he made his way to the elevator.
Reaching the elevators he rapidly hit the down button. He watched as the elevator’s digital numbers slowly ascended towards twelve.

“Come on….come on” William mumbled. He slowly looked around the foyer. The small hairs on the back of his neck started to stand up and he felt as if he was being watched. When the elevator reached the eighth floor its numbers hovered several beats before they started to descend towards the ground floor.

“Bloody ‘ell” William silently cursed. To his right he heard the soft tattoo of heels meeting the black tiled floor; more specifically stiletto high heels.

“Damn it” William cursed a little louder as he continued to assault the button with his eager thumb. William watch the numbers ascend and stop on the sixth floor.

“This bloody lift is haunted! It’s trying to rattle my chains. It’s going to take more than this to wet my knickers.” William quietly roared to empty air

“William……what brings you to my domain?” Lilah purred as her eyes perused William’s body. He felt that she was undressing him with her searing stare he knew that she was envisioning all the little nasties she wanted to do to him. Those thoughts made him shiver as if standing naked outside on a winter’s day in London.

“Now her thoughts will wet my knickers and there goes my shirt.” William whispered to himself.

“Pardon me.” Lilah asked as she slithered closer.

“Nothing Attorney Morgan (her sculpted eyebrows raised as a reminder)…..I beg your pardon, Lilah.” William calmly stated as his thumb furiously pressed the down button.

“Somewhere you want to be?” Lilah cooed.

‘Anywhere but here.’ William thought.

“Yes…..Att….Lilah. I have to be in front of Judge Snyder after lunch. I’m presenting motions (3) in the Masters’ case.” William explained.

“Ah….yes, Darla Masters such a lovely girl in such a horrific scandal. One should be careful of who you ‘play’ with. Well be off with you Sweet William. If you need any instruction or guidance on how to handle the aspects of this case, please don’t hesitate.” Lilah purred as her eyes traveled down his body once more.

‘And there go my pants.’ William added mentally.

Lilah glided past William toward Attorney Manners’ office. William could tell as he briefly looked at her retreating form that she put an extra swing in her hips for his benefit. Once Lilah entered into Attorney Manners’ wing the elevator popped open with a loud ‘ding’.

“Now ya bloody ‘ere! Thanks for nothin’” William sighed as he entered into the elevator and down to his floor.

With a brief ‘hello’ to Martha, William swiftly entered into his office, filled his briefcase with the motions for the Masters’ case and some other work to occupy his time while waiting to be heard. With an equally brief ‘good day’ William left Wolfram and Hart deciding on the stairs this time, a more reliable way to travel as he made his way to court.



(1) Absinthe: A green liqueur having a bitter anise or licorice flavor and a high alcohol content, prepared from absinthe and other herbs, and now prohibited in many countries because of its toxicity
(2) ERIS: was the goddess or spirit (daimona) of strife, discord, contention and rivalry. She was often represented specifically as the daimon of the strife of war who haunted battlefields and delighted in human bloodshed.
(3) Motions: London An application to a court by one of the parties in a cause, or his counsel, in order to obtain some rule or order of court, which he thinks becomes necessary in the progress of the cause, or to get relieved he thinks becomes necessary in the progress of the cause.