“What the hell do you mean ‘it’s my attitude’? What about the rest of the world?” Buffy sputtered as she tried to ignore the pain in her leg and head. Damn car and damn drunk driver while I’m at it. Idiot should be here instead of me. He deserves it! She slowly reached a hand up to touch the bruised area around the stitches near her hairline. Her hand came away with a slight shimmer of blood but it was to be expected with as much blood had seeped out into her Mercedes when it collapsed around her.

“Right there! You’re blaming a driver, who wasn’t drunk if I might add, on the fact that you weren’t paying attention to the road. You swerved into his lane and it happened that his truck was bigger than your little box on wheels. You really should learn to drive without rearranging your schedule on your little phone box.” Whistler sighed at her indignant expression. “Accept some responsibility girl so I can get back up there and away from people like you.” He paused momentarily as she stewed over his words. “Now, your mother is sitting out in that waiting room all alone…”

“Why the hell is she even here? I don’t want her here and I certainly don’t need her here.” She glared at the petite demon and yet again he shrugged her off. The little blonde fireball was nothing compared to some of the demons he’d met in hell. Now those boys could give her a lesson in intimidation. Whistler shuddered at the thought of his last losing poker hand to one of the hell demons. Evisceration certainly didn’t sound like a walk in the park but dealing with the little princess wasn’t much better.

“Accept it, little lady. Your mama loves you,” He paused before mumbling, “Though I can’t seem to see why. Nice lady like her shouldn’t have spawned a little hell demon like you.”

“I heard that.” He grinned as her ineffective gaze hitting him once more as she shuffled on the reclining hospital bed trying to evade the beeping machines surrounding her.

“Didn’t mean for you not to, Princess.” He watched as she snorted once more before accepting the nickname. “First off, you will let your mother fawn over you until she very well gets sick of you. Shouldn’t take very long at all considering you’ve managed to scare off six secretaries in the past 2 months. Secondly, you will hire Willow back on as your secretary. She’ll do a lot more good than any others you might think to hire and then destroy. Let’s face it sweetie, there aren’t many more people in this city that will put up with you for very long.”

She groaned at the thought of actually having to tell an employee that she was wrong to fire them in the first place. After all, the only thing the girl had done was not add enough sugar to her morning coffee. Perhaps she had been a bit hard on the younger redhead. “Fine, I’ll do both but I won’t be happy about it.”

“Never asked you to be, all that matters is that they are happy and you finally understand what it means to be actually civil and live in this world instead of trying to control it. The third thing the big man wants…you probably won’t like this but there is another person out there waiting to see if you’re dead yet.”

“Let me guess- Dawn?” She gave a minor yawn at the thought of her boisterous 16 year old sister. All brunette hair, shining blue eyes and frankly, a pain in the ass described her little sister perfectly, at least to Buffy.

“Dear Lord no! Dawn gave up on you when you forgot her 16th birthday. According to her diary, she has no sister and she’s alright with that… although she does miss you giving her advice on clothes- silly girl.” Whistler shook his head and readjusted his fedora while contemplating exactly how much damage a human girl recovering from a car accident could inflict on a harmless half-demon.

“So who is it? Who’s my mystery visitor? Angel? Parker? Let me guess…Riley?” She crossed her arms in front of her, mindful of the I.V in her left hand.

“My, my you do get around but no, it’s not any of your one night stands. Think a bit further back than that my dear.” Whistler chuckled.

“Why don’t you just tell me who’s out there?”

“Because this is so much more fun. Aren’t you having fun, princess?” He giggled at her glare this time. Little girl had no idea who she was dealing with. She wasn’t even a two on the scale of Big Bads.

“Fine, is it Giles?” She wracked her bruised brain thinking of people who might actually want to see her.

“Certainly not. He might leave you in charge of the company but he would never waste his time rushing down to see if you lived or died.” Whistler watched as her face fell and regretted telling her a blatant lie. Of course the old man would have been at her bedside had he known. He loved the little spawn like she was his own daughter.

“I don’t fucking know who it is!”

The room was silent for a moment as the patient realized the door to her room was open and three people stood in the doorway.

“Buffy! Oh my God Buffy don’t ever do that to me again!” Joyce Summers rushed over and hugged her squirming daughter.

“M-mom can’t breathe.” She gently pushed her mother away but held her hand as Whistler glared at her and linked his own hands together.

“I thought I’d lost you for good this time. The doctor said your heart stopped twice and they didn’t know if you were going to come back to me.” Joyce was nearly crushing her hand but Buffy held on even tighter under Whistler’s watchful glare.

At the sound of a throat being cleared, Buffy looked up to find a tall, gray-haired man who she recognized as being one of the surgeons in the operating room. As she focused on the kind-hearted doctor, she almost missed the flash of brunette hair and the soft, almost forced voice.

“Hello cutie.”