Author's Chapter Notes:
You need to read Wilson's Mountain Diner to understand this.
Wilson’s Mountain Diner - A Christmas Special


Closed for the Holidays?

Warren was talking in the rehearsal room before filming of the last Christmas episode before the holiday break…

“Okay folks, I’m going to try and film this in one long continual sequence, so camera men, watch for my signals when we change from outside filming to inside, and make the transition smooth please…Is the food cooked from the canteen, you know what kids are like they start eating the food then say it’s cold! - It is, okay folks ready to roll in two…take your places please”

“And three, two, one, and Action!” Tara said, snapping the clapper-board shut.

“Is that it then, everything off?” Buffy asked, standing in the open diner door-way.

“Only these lights to go love” Spike said and Buffy fitted the key into the lock, let Spike out of the door, switched off the diner lights and followed him, dead-locking the door.

Spike stood on the grass outside the diner looking up into the night sky………

“Any UFO’s? – Strange lights?” Buffy asked remembering the conversations over the last few weeks about strange lights in the sky over their county, and the two counties either side of them.

“There was something in the Echo last night, a farmer said he was bringing his cows in and saw a strange cigar shape hovering above the trees about 300 yards away from him – that was in Louisville”

“LOUISVILLE – ha! God help ‘em if little green men land in Louisville!”

“I think you’ll find they’re grey men, not green – well so the abductees usually claim – anyway come on love, it’s getting quite co – what’s that?”

“What’s what?” Buffy asked scanning the sky

“That – singing is it? Oh goodness!” Coming towards the diner was an old station wagon, being pushed by a teenager. Inside the car was a tired and harassed looking mom, and three children of various ages…

“…………Twenty two bottles of beer on the wall, twenty two bottles of beer … - okay son, you can stop pushin’ now!” The mom shouted. The lad stopped pushing and stood, dusting off his hands.

She bent her head and looked at the lights off in the diner, and the kids all started asking questions at once.

“You said it would be open mom!”

“I’m hungry!”

“Mommy, when can we eat, I’m cold!”

“Alright – alright quiet!” The kids shut up immediately.

Spike and Buffy looked at each other. The poor woman looked near to breaking point.

“Hello…um so…you’re closed now?” the teenager asked

“Well, yes, I’m sorry, we don’t usually close until ten, but tonight as it’s Christmas Eve, we didn’t think that anybody would be…” Spike began

Again the kids in the car started up about being hungry.

The lady opened the car door and the lad who’d been pushing the broken down vehicle ran around and helped her out, she stood with her hand on her aching back – there was no mistaking, she was VERY pregnant…

“I understand that your closed…are um, are your facilities open? Could we just use the toilets – and can you tell me where the nearest garage is please – this thing’s brought us 600 miles, but we still got another two hundred to go”

Spike looked at Buffy again, and two of the children had started to cry about being hungry.

“Please baby, not now, momma’s doin’ her best, Joey, is there any more food in the tuck box?”

“Don’t think so momma” the teenager went to get the said box to look in, and shook his head

“Ain’t nothing but wrappers” he said

“Spike – shall we” Buffy started,

But before she could finish, Spike had taken the keys off her and said,

“Okay kiddies, step right this way - food is on it’s way!”

The ladies face crumpled and she tried to say thank you, but the tears flowed instead.

“Hey…come on…let’s get you inside, you look all in” Buffy gently put her arm around her and led her into the still warm diner.

Spike went into action switching on the heating again, the hotplates and oven, and the TV. Switching it to the cartoon network, he helped the children off with their coats

“My names Poppy, whath’s yourth?” A little blonde-haired two front teeth missing poppet lisped to Spike.

“Poppy, well that’s a really pretty name, my name is William, but you can call me Spike”

“Thspike! That’sth funny!” She lisped.

“And your name young sir?”

“Thath’s Michael, my twin brother!” Poppy said

“Is he now!” Spike said, piling coats up on another table

“I’m Maffew!” a cheeky-faced little boy said

“Matthew huh, good name for a strong boy!” Spike said, and then leaning on the table he said

“Okay then, what would you like to eat?”

“What can we have mom?” Michael called over to his mother

“Nothing expensive!”

“I like thothidges!” Poppy said and Spike grinned and tousled her hair.

“Do you pet – well Tho- I mean sausages it is for you then!”

“Can I have chicken?” Michael asked

“Hey don’t break the bank here!” mom called over

“It’s alright, this is on the house, you sit there and don’t worry – what can I get for you? Buffy asked

“You’re so kind! She squeezed Buffy’s hand and said, A cup of hot tea would be lovely!”

“And what to eat?”

“Me- oh I eat any old thing…junior’s hungry I think, he’s kicking away! – Um could I use your bathroom?”

“Sure, it’s through there – I’ll just check the lights are on for you, and I’ll phone our friend, he’ll be able to help with your Station wagon I’m sure” Buffy said leading the way.

Spike left the kids watching the TV, and came around the counter and went to the fridge/freezer He took out a pack of sausages, a couple of chicken in breadcrumb portions and a pizza base and a bag of frozen fries and set about getting a meal for the children, who sat good as gold watching the cartoons. Buffy came back and stood by Spike.

“You don’t mind do you?”

“Heck no…couldn’t see them left in the lurch – the kids are so sweet, the little girls Poppy, sitting next to her is her twin brother Michael, and opposite is ‘Maffew’ – Poppy’s got her two front teeth missing, she’s got this adorable lisp – get this, she loves ‘thothsidges’! Spike mimicked, and Buffy grinned

“She’s adorable!”

‘Mom’ came back from the bathroom holding her back, and Buffy fetched the chair from the office so she could be more comfortable than trying to get her bump behind one of the fixed-to-the-floor seats

“Oh thank you, I’m sorry we’re putting you to so much trouble”

“Not at all, we wouldn’t have dreamt of leaving you like that – what’s wrong with the station wagon, do you know?”

“Huh…where do I start? – It’s older than the hills – but we have to get to my parents in law by tomorrow, my husband, whose in the army has got a 48 hour pass, if he’d have come home, it would have meant seeing him for only 4 hours, then he’d have to leave to get back in time, this way we get a whole day and a half with him” Buffy nodded and Spike placed a mug of hot tea in front of the lady.

“I’m Janet – these are my kids, Poppy and Michael are twins, they’re four, Matthew is nearly seven, and Joey is 15, 16 next month – they’re good kids, aren’t you, usually good as gold”

“They’re adorable! – Would you like a drink?” Buffy asked them.

“Mommy, what’s adorable?” Michael asked, mom smiled and rubbed his head gently

“They can have anything, but not fizzy – too many stops with fizzy!” mom said

“Milkshake?” Buffy suggested

“YEAH!” the kids chorused

“Okay then, what flavour would you like Poppy?”

“Um…do you have thtrawbewwy?” Buffy grinned and said yes, she could have strawberry

“And me! And me!” Michael and Matthew chorused together

“What about you?” Buffy asked

“This is my oldest lad, John Joseph, named after his daddy, we call him Joey so’s not to get mixed up!”

The lad who was tall and skinny smiled at Buffy and said,

“Um, chocolate?” Buffy nodded

“I want chocolate! And me!” Michael and Matthew began, but mom soon said,

“Hey, quiet now, you said strawberry so you’ll have that and be grateful!” and then was struck with a sharp pain that made her sit up

“Ooh…oh…now just you be good for momma!”

“You okay mom?” Joey asked concerned.

A little breathlessly she smiled at her son and said,

“Yeah, just been sitting cramped too long, junior’s stretching his legs!”

“AND CUT – THAT WAS FANTASTIC! Warren said

“Can somebody re do my cushion, it’s slipping and I’ll be giving birth to it on the floor here if I’m not careful!” ‘Janet’ said

The actress was taken behind the scenes and the cushion was tied more securely around her. The kids had their food put in front of them, Warren wanted them to eat some before the filming resumed…

“Okay folks, filming resumes in two minutes…” Tara said. The camera men moved to get a different angles and the kids had nearly finished their food.

“Scene 2 diner - same again folks, filming as long as possible – the arrival of Timmy.

And three, two, one, action!” Warren closed the clapperboard and the camera trained on the kids eating, then outside when there was a tooting of a horn.

Spike had made up some mini ice cream sundaes, with two scoops of ice cream, sauce and chocolate sticks for the little ones, and brought them to the table.

“Whoth that outhide? Poppy asked

“That’s our friend Timmy, he’s going to look at the wagon for you see if he can fix it”

“You’re really so kind…I …I …this is SO good…never tasted sausages so good – ow…oooooooohhhhh Junior, stop kicking!”

Janet put her hand on her tummy bump and sat up straight.

“Is the baby hurting you mommy?” Michael asked.

“No baby, he’s just stretching, that’s - OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!” Janet dropped her knife and fork.

“MOMMA!”

Buffy ran to Janet and put her arm around her.

“Come with me…” Buffy help Janet to stand, and gently led her to the office.

“Where’s mommy going?” Matthew asked and began to get down from the table.

“She’s alright Matty, look, eat your ice cream, it’s your favourite, red sauce on it, and chocolate sticks, look” Joey said getting his little brother to sit down again.

“Spike” Buffy called from the counter, and Spike went over to her, the camera followed, Buffy looked worried and said,

“She’s having contractions – they’ve been coming all day, but she thought it was just being cramped up in the car – I’ve phoned for Dr Ryan, got the answer machine – Janet’s going to phone her in-laws and tell them what’s happening, and then I shall drive her to the hospital in my car – will you wait here with the kids?” Buffy said

“Sure, I’ll just tell Joey what’s going on – where is she?”

“Lying on the sun-lounger in the office, at least she’s comfortable” Buffy said, and then there was another wail from the office.

“I’d better…Buffy said, and walked off camera, while Spike went over to Joey.

“Joey –“

“The baby’s started hasn’t it – I knew it would, I told her she shouldn’t be driving but she said there was still two weeks to go!”

“Buffy’s going to drive her to the hospital, will you stay here with me and the kids, and then when Buffy gets back, we can take you all over there”

“Thanks – um can I phone my gramps? – My grandpa?”

“Sure, I think your mom’s doing that right now, but your welcome, I’ll show you where the phone is when they’ve gone”

“Don’t say anything to them, they’ll want to go straight away, say mom’s asleep if they ask, they know not to disturb her” Joey said nodding towards his siblings, and Spike said he would.

Timmy came into the diner.

“Hey! Have you got the keys for the wagon?” Joey walked over to him and said,

“Here you go – the guy at the garage said something about power not getting from the battery to the alternator so we think the battery is flat” Joey explained to Timmy.

“That’s no problem I’ll just check it, if that’s the case, I’ve got a spare you can have” Timmy said and took the keys and went outside. Joey went and sat with his siblings.

“And Cut! Brilliant – who said never work with children or animals, these kids are a delight!” Warren said grinning.

“Okay folks short scene now, get the twins on the sun-lounger and cover them with their coats and a couple of thick towels, and Joey and Matthew can have their heads on their arms at the table – two minutes please,

Everything was put ready; the kiddies were tired anyway and really went to sleep!

“Scene 3 diner Action!” Warren said, closing the clapper-board quietly.

Buffy came creeping into the diner. Everybody seemed to be asleep. Buffy smiled and wrinkled her nose grinning at the twins on the sun-lounger fast asleep. Spike sat with his chin on his chest, and Buffy gently put her hands on his shoulders.

“Hey!” she whispered.

Spike woke and stretched and smiled at her.

“How’s thing’s – what’s the time?” Spike swivelled on his chair and looked at the clock, it was 3.35am

“Janet had a little girl just over half an hour ago, 6lb 1oz, she’s 12 days early, but she’s fine. She phoned her in-laws and told them, they’ve since phoned the hospital, her two brothers are coming over to pick them up, and the other will take the station wagon if it’s fixed?”

“Yeah just needed a new battery, Timmy saw to it”

“Bless him. So will you drive the station wagon and I’ll drive my car back to the hospital now?”

“Sure – oh I made them up another tuck box – some sandwiches and cake, milk and cookies, chips and dip…you know”

“You big softie, you’re as bad as me!” Buffy grinned and kissed him lightly. Joey put his head up and yawned.

“Hey Buffy…how’s my mom?”

“Well sitting up be-moaning the fact that she never got to finish the best sausages she’d ever tasted! – Oh and another thing, you’ve got a little sister, 6lb 1oz too!”

“A sister – she swore it was a boy, said he was gonna be a footballer the way he kicked!” Joey said smiling.

“Come on, let’s get them to the hospital shall we, I’ll drive the station wagon your two uncles are coming to the hospital to fetch you all”

“Wake up Poppy…Mikey…wake up – come on Matty we’re going to see Momma!” Joey said.

“And cut – thanks folks, now we just have to go across the parking lot to the Hospital stage, and then we can all start our holidays” Warren said

_______



“Hospital scene, take 1 and ACTION!” The clapperboard shut and the camera panned back to see Janet lying propped up in bed asleep, there was a dimmed light on above her bed and a cot at the side of it.

Joey pushed open the door, the children had been told to be quiet because of the sleeping baby, they did as they were told, although Matthew and Michael were shocked to find they had another sister instead of a brother!

Janet called Buffy over to the bedside and said,

“I don’t know how to thank you, I don’t know what we’d have done if you hadn’t been so kind” Buffy stroked Poppy’s hair as she gazed on her sleeping baby sister.

“It was a pleasure – you’re children are adorable…including this little one…aww she’s totally oblivious to it all aren’t you sweet one…have you got a name for her yet?”

“Is Buffy short for anything?” Janet asked

“No, not really, my real name is Elizabeth, Elizabeth Ann Wilson”

“My mother’s name was Elizabeth! Janet said

“Mine too!”

“Well, meet the latest Elizabeth Ann” Janet said indication the cot.

Tears sprang to Buffy’s eyes.

“Oh god, that’s so sweet of you!”

A nurse entered the room and said that the children could bed down in the day room while they waited for their uncles to come and fetch them, so Joey and the kids all said their goodbyes to Spike and Buffy and followed the nurse.

Buffy hugged Janet gently and kissed the new baby’s forehead, whispering,

“Merry Christmas Elizabeth Ann”

Janet held Spike’s hand as he leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you so much” Janet said again.

“You’re very welcome – and um, Merry Christmas!” Spike said with a grin.

“I want updates on this little one, just send them to Wilson’s Mountain Diner, Sunnydale, we’ll get them!” Buffy said, taking one last look at the downy little head cocooned in a soft fleecy blanket.

“Sure I will, bye now, and Merry Christmas”

“Merry Christmas!” Buffy and Spike left and got outside the hospital.

“Well…that was different!” Spike said holding Buffy’s hand.

“Well they used to say that about the place, never a dull moment! – Come on, let’s go home and see what Santa bought us!” They walked towards the car

“And cut! That’s a wrap everybody, we can go home now – Merry Christmas!” Warren said.

The End