Author's Chapter Notes:
Big thanks to Sanityfair...as always!
Elizabeth’s head was in the clouds, as she walked through the stone corridors towards her chambers. Her flesh still sang from William’s touch. Her thoughts remained wrapped around his words. Eyes wide open, yet not seeing, she almost collided with her mother whom was approaching. With surprise, Elizabeth's movements ceased, a mere foot from her.

“Mother, please accept my apologies for my wayward mind and feet!” Elizabeth’s voice held a stunned, but lighthearted tone. A blinding smile adorned her lips.

“Tis fine daughter. It appears your thoughts are elsewhere. May I inquire where they lie?” Lady Summers’ knew fore well where they were; yet she wanted Elizabeth to confide in her, as she once had.

“No where particular, mother, just scattered upon the spring winds.”

Lady Summers’ serene features held, as she crumbled inside. Elizabeth had never lied to her before, nor had she kept secrets. Since The Duke had entered their home, she has become a woman with dubious means. Upon Elizabeth’s first meeting with His Grace she was angered due to his, in her perception, scandalous behavior.

In less than a day and regardless of her earlier beliefs, Elizabeth had fallen prey to his charms. Accepting gifts, sharing moments of time alone without chaperones present, exchanging affections meant only for a man and wife within the confines of their chambers. Lady Summers knew that a man, such as His Grace, preyed upon naive women. She clearly knew his kind. Lady Summers silently vowed that Elizabeth would not fall victim, as she had, to a devil with blue eyes.

“Mother, have you taken ill once more?” Elizabeth became concerned, due to the far away look in her eyes, and the silence that had filled the space between them.

“Pardon, my thoughts have too, scattered upon the spring winds. Elizabeth, do you care to sit awhile? Perhaps, share the pastime of needlepoint, until our midday meal is served?”

Lord Summers’ jovial voice, echoed throughout the corridor, ceasing the words upon Elizabeth’s lips.

“Dearest wife and child, His Grace has challenged me to a game of chess. I must have my good luck charms present, to assure my success.”

“Dearest husband, my intentions were to teach our sweet child the final lessons of court before her departure, come morn. Could our presence be excused?” Lady Summers attempted with gentle words, to change Lord Summers’ mind. Despite her hopes, ire filled his now narrowed eyes.

Dearest wife, The Duke wishes for the attendance of the ladies of the house. His wishes will be granted.” Despite his choice of neutral words, Lord Summers’ tone remained clear. This was not a request, but a demand.

“Mother, lessons can be instructed later. I am always intrigued with games of strategy.” Elizabeth’s bright eyes mirrored her smile, which had yet faltered.

Fully aware that her words fell upon deaf ears, Lady Summers’ nodded her agreement. Elizabeth proceeded to weave her arm through her father’s. Both began to chatter excitedly, while they walked towards the hall. “Due time. All will be righted, in due time,” Lady Summers’ assured herself, as she followed dutifully behind.



**** ****


An hour passed, while the ladies remained spectators to The Duke and Lord Summers’ chess game. In short time, William declared ‘checkmate’, besting Lord Summers efficiently. Before he could request a rematch, William inquired if all would be interested in learning a new card game, called Primero. Lord Summers and Elizabeth were intrigued, as William excitedly described how all within the court of England, including the King himself, highly enjoyed this pastime. Lady Summers declined. However, she remained close by. After rules were explained and the game began, Lady Summers witnessed with a passive eye, but strong interest, the lingering glances and smiles shared between The Duke and her daughter.

“Just as I feared, she is smitten with him. Delicate words must be chosen, upon disclosure of the truth,” Lady Summers silently confirmed, as she continued to bear witness to their believed hidden interactions.

Another hour passed. The only break from the games was a small lunch of cheeses, breads and fine wines. Lady Summers, despite her outwardly serene demeanor, was feeling increasingly concerned, with each moment that passed. The once hidden smiles and glances became more frequent and blatant as time continued. During one round, where Elizabeth had bested both men, she placed her hand upon The Duke’s, cooing her apologies in a teasing tone.

Unable to harness her feelings a moment longer, Lady Summers stood and called to her daughter,

“Come Elizabeth, its best for us to retire to our chambers until this eve’s meal.”

None of the gamers voices cease, nor did their gazes leave the cards that they held. Lady Summers, with purposefully strides, approached the table. She hovered for several moments. Still not one paid attention to her presence. With intensity and directness lacing her words, she spoke once more, her heated gaze fully upon The Duke.


“This game has ended with Elizabeth."

Upon her words, each halted their movements. William’s gaze widened slightly with the realization that Lady Summers was not referring to the game itself, but with his relationship, or her perception of his relationship, with Elizabeth. Prior to his response, Lord Summers’ offhandedly spoke. His eyes remained on his cards,

“Wife, we will finish when we are done. Retire to your chambers and prepare for this evening’s meal. His Grace will accompany Elizabeth to her chambers when we are through.”

While his words still hung within the air, William softly addressed her,

“Lady Summers, Elizabeth is not amidst a game, save for these cards.”

“Your Grace, if I may be so bold, my eyes tell me differently.”

William’s response hovered upon his tongue. Before he could respond, Lord Summers’ angered gaze burrowed into his wife’s as he growled towards her,

“Wife, you will take leave, now!”

Throughout the exchanges of those surrounding her, Elizabeth’s heart sank. The conflicts between her parents, although commonplace, were still upsetting. The strife between William and her mother was, in her mind, unfounded and confusing. In addition, all this animosity, between her love ones, wounded her deep. Elizabeth’s eyes stung with impending tears, as her gaze fell upon the faces of those around her. Each held different emotions upon their features; her father-pure anger, her mother-a kaleidoscope of anger, fear, and sadness. William held the most confusing emotion, distraught. It appeared as if a war was waging within. One, in which would produce many casualties and no victors.

The air was heavy with emotions, although no words passed among them. Several moments elapsed, before Lady Summers relented. Her gaze dropped, which was for sometime, deadlocked with her husband’s.

“Yes, my Lord, I will retire until this eve’s meal. If I may request that…” Lord Summers’ commanding voice, drowning Lady Summers’ words, as he brusquely interrupted,

“No request to be heard, dearest wife. Till this evening.” Upon the completion of his instructions, his gaze and attention returned to the cards before him. Instantly, his tone and demeanor lightened as he addressed The Duke, “Now, Your Grace, I believe it is your deal, is it not?”

Without a further word, Lady Summers’ curtsied. With murmured words of respect, took leave. Elizabeth motioned to join her mother. Her father’s eyes flashed, signaling his thoughts. She immediately retained her position at the table.

The game continued for another hour after this incident. Despite the outward appearance of jest and contentment, both William and Elizabeth’s minds churned with their thoughts. Lord Summers continued, as nothing was ever amiss.



**** ****


Once the games ended, William escorted Elizabeth to her chambers. A heavy silence fell between them. Their minds still focused on what had transpired earlier. With her thoughts endlessly gnawing her mind, Elizabeth spoke,

“William, why was my mother angered so?”

“Your father seemed rather harsh…”

“Yes, unfortunately that is his normal tone towards her, which I loath so. However, my question stems from my mother’s anger towards you?

“Ah, you noticed this, did you?” Elizabeth stilled her movements. Her brow creased, while her gaze held a poignant look. Her features spoke volumes.

“Of course you noticed. Pardon for my hopes that you had not. Perception is a trait that was handed from mother to daughter, I have noticed. I believe that she knows of our relationship and is angered that I did not properly court you.” William tenderly gathered Elizabeth ’s hands into his. With tender strokes of his thumbs upon her flesh, she spoke,

“However so, William?”

“It is customary for a proper gentleman, to approach the woman’s parents, request for their permission to court her. Alas, I have overstepped my bounds and did not follow traditions. In doing so, I have highly offended your mother.”

“Then let us go to her. Explain and ask to be forgiven for your faults. My mother is a kind and understanding woman. She will not hold ill feelings towards you.” Elizabeth turned slightly, to head towards her mother’s chambers. William held firm upon her hands. His hold and words stilled her movements.

“Elizabeth, this is not a slight that can be righted with mere words. Furthermore, it is your father in which I have to approach. To approach your mother without him present will further amplify the wrongness of the situation.” With understanding filling her features, Elizabeth spoke,

“Tis fine William. You know of such etiquettes, where I am lacking. May I request a favor?”

“My dearest Elizabeth, not a favor, only wishes which I strive to fulfill. All you need is to ask.” William’s gaze held firm upon hers. His thumbs continued to tease her flesh with light, pleasurable sweeps.

“Please, speak with my father, right this wrong. All needs to be favorable between my parents and my husband to be.”

Her words rang within his mind, 'right this wrong.' There were so many wrongs, not only one. He wanted to disclose the truths; the actual reason for his voyage to France and the King’s true desire for her, once she enters within his kingdom.

Once his misdeeds spilled, he would beg for her forgiveness. Promise her, that never again, will he harm her in such callous ways. Vow that with each morn and eve, he would fall upon a bended knee, and thank God that he was blessed with a woman such as she.

Regardless of how his mind churned, words remained elusive, as her love-filled, trusting gaze beheld him. His eyes closed briefly, as he swallowed past the lump, which had form within his throat. William’s strangled words fell from his lips,

“Indeed Elizabeth, I will attempt to right these wrongs.”

Unaware of his inner turmoil, she smiled brightly upon his vow. With a tender kiss upon his stilled lips, Elizabeth proceeded to enter into her chambers. Within the corridor, William’s heart shattered, not only for the lies that he had told, but for the ones that he had yet to say.



Chapter End Notes:
Now things are going to get really interesting! Please let me know what you're thinking. All reviews, good, bad and otherwise really help with my writing!