Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm glad that everyone is enjoying my tale. I understand that it has been a long process of detailing the first few days of Elizabeth's and William's relationship. All will be coming to a head now and in the next few chapters, so please keep reading.

Thanks always to Sanityfair
Lady Summers’ anxiously paced within her chambers. Her mind commanded that she speak with Elizabeth at once. Divulge all the lies told and shed light upon the omissions in regard to her sequester to England. Additionally, what part each member of this charade had the King, her father, and the Duke of Suffolk. Nervously ringing her hands around a handkerchief, her mind overflowed with thoughts.

“How will Elizabeth be affected, once she is told of the deceit and treachery these men have bestowed upon her? Will she claim I am equally at fault due to my idle tongue? After all is brought forth, will she still be forced to abide in this scandalous travesty?”

Unshed tears glistened in her eyes, as she continued her pace. Abruptly, they ceased. A moment of clarity, an epiphany had shown itself. She would not wait until a private moment with Elizabeth to disclose the truths. All, but one, member was present within the manor’s walls. A glint of satisfaction flickered in her eyes, as the decision was made. The perfect moment for her to free her tongue…tonight’s feast.


**** ****


Several hours later, Lord Summers collected his wife and daughter and escorted them to the banquet hall. Lady Summers appeared calm and collected, despite harboring the knowledge, of what was to come. Lord Summers and Elizabeth proceeded to chatter continuously about the hunt, earlier games with his Grace, and the impending feast.

They approached the wooden doors. The servants opened them with flourish. The heady, mingled aromas of wild boar, rabbit and other savory meats pervaded the air, filling their senses. Soft music echoed through the hall, as Lord Summers escorted Elizabeth to her seat. Once seated, he guided Lady Summers’ to hers. After Lady Summers’ was situated, Lord Summers softly whispered in her ear. Despite the faux smile that adorned her lips her skin crawled with disgust.

“I am pleased that your temperament has softened. After all these years, I had believed this shrew you’ve become was a permanent. Perhaps, if this persists, I may visit your chambers this eve.” With his last words, Lord Summers placed a chaste kiss to her neck, slightly below her ear. Once more, her skin crawled. Lord Summers chuckled low, mistaking these as shivers of pleasure, other than revulsion. He headed towards his seat, at the other end of the table. Within moments, his Grace entered. Fearing he was late, he quickly addressed all those present.

“I apologize for my tardiness. Time escaped me while in my chambers.”

“No need for apologies, Your Grace. The feast would not have begun without you.” Lord Summers assured the seemingly frazzled Duke.

William rounded the table and took his position next to Lord Summers. Despite sensing Elizabeth’s eyes upon him, he never looked her way. William’s mind had been on an endless journey in the hours since his departure from her. He’d explored every thought to exhaustion. Regardless, he had yet to find peace. Nor did he expect to. He knew that the lies he had spoken and the knowledge that he had omitted; would cause a rift between he and Elizabeth that might never be bridged. William feared that upon the truth, he would be cast out of the heaven, which her mere presence created, never to enter within its gates again..

Gratefully, before her trusting gaze continued to bore holes into his liar’s heart, the feast began. Two servants carried the cooked head of the wild boar, which they had hunted earlier. Displayed with an apple in its mouth and encircled with brilliant crimson flowers, which added to the splendor of the presentation. Witnessing this, Elizabeth excitedly informed her mother, of how she had released the hounds and aided in the pursuit of the beast. Whilst it’s tenderly, cooked meat was served, along with other fine foods.

Seamless chatter continued, as extravagant course after course was provided. William began to relax, as he and Lord Summers discussed the hunt and other mundane subjects. His gaze, despite his will, frequently fell upon Elizabeth. However, he would look away, before she became aware of his amorous gazes.

Without success, Elizabeth was unable to draw William’s eyes upon her. She wondered what she had done that had irked him so. Ultimately, she determined it was due to her mother being close by. “He may be averting his gaze out of respect for her,” Elizabeth inwardly noted. Her own answer appeased her mind, as she sampled another morsel from her plate. While the final course of sweets, wines and cheeses were being served, William gently struck his goblet with a knife. In an attempt to call forth everyone’s attention. Grasping the cup, he stood and looked upon those present.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Lord and Lady of this divine manor. Although my stay here was brief, your hospitality has far surpassed all those before you. To Lord and Lady Summers,” William’s sincere voice rose slightly, as the cup in his grasp. Elizabeth proceeded to raise her cup in toast, echoing his words. Once William sat, Lord Summers mirrored his actions.

“Your Grace, it was our utmost pleasure to have you visit our humble home. We are all aware that due to Elizabeth’s exquisiteness, your trip here was not commonplace. Solely, for this matter alone, we are forever in yours and the King’s debt. To the Duke of Suffolk!" Following his toast, and the echo of Elizabeth’s agreement, Lord Summers added,

“Long live, Henry the Eighth, King of England!” Lord Summers, William and Elizabeth echoed their affirmation. As before, Lady Summers remained quiet. Lord Summers’ questioning gaze fell upon her. Before he could speak, Lady Summers stood and addressed all those present,

“If I may, I would like to speak.” Lord Summers’ mouth pursed, as to respond. Witnessing this, Lady Summers’ gaze fell on the Duke. She continued without permission.

“Since your arrival here Your Grace, your presence within these walls has finally unearthed the truth. Which I have forgotten or accepted and Elizabeth has yet to be told…until now. Every malicious transgression and indifference posed upon me, by my husband, which I have once ignored, will no longer be so. For so long, I’ve done this in order to protect my child. I strived to keep Elizabeth hidden from the evilness of this world, and in doing so I have ignored all the slights bestowed upon me. Unfortunately, regardless of all the battles I have won, I’ve lost the war. The victor is the devil that dwells within my own home. Due to the desires and greediness among men, Elizabeth is destined to be a carnal slave to the King. Unbeknownst to her, her seller is her very own father. The buyer of his wares, the man that sits before us, tis you, Your Grace.”

Heavy silence filled the room following her words. Each face that once held contentment, changed drastically. Lord Summers’ features held a look of blind fury. William’s features were full of self-loathing and shame. Elizabeth’s, held astonishment and disbelief. Her eyes began to well with tears, as she beheld all those surrounding her. After several moments, her gaze landed upon William as she whispered,

“William, is this true?”

Desperation strangled the words within his throat. He wanted to tell Elizabeth. She was an innocent in all of this. As Lady Summers’ had stated, her future was cast forth, “due to the desires and greediness among men.” William no longer wanted to play his part. He loved this woman with all of his being, and he would do everything within his power to insure that her once destiny as the King’s mistress would not be fulfilled. His eyes lowered slowly before rising once more. Tears hovered upon his lower lashes, as his gaze finally met hers. William scanned her features once more. Before, they were contorted with hatred and revulsion.

Elizabeth teary eyes searched his face for the truth. Once reaching his misted blues, the truth appeared blatant. Unwilling to believe what she had witnessed, with hope lacing her tone Elizabeth called to him once more.

“William?”

“Tis the truth,” William whispered. His words sounded deafening in his own ears.

Hearing his admission, Elizabeth pulled herself from her chair and fled from the room. Lady Summers’ stare brimmed with hatred, as she looked upon the two men. With regal grace, she followed Elizabeth. Prior to departure, she spoke once more.

“Long live the truth.”

With her words, she exited, leaving two bewildered men in her wake. William’s gaze remained fixed where Elizabeth once resided. Breaking the silence, Lord Summers’ voice changed William’s focus.

“Your Grace, I apologize for my wife’s ill manners, sharp tongue and vile lies. Punishment for these infractions will be swift, I assure you. My heavy hand…”

Before he could finish, William stood quickly, knocking over his chair. He grabbed Lord Summers’ by his doublet. Blazing blues seared puzzled ones. With a clenched jaw, he snarled his response,

“You will do no such thing Lord Summers. Lady Summers only spoke truths. Regardless what light they showed us in, not a fallacy fell from her lips. She will remain unharmed and will be so, until the end of her days. No ill words or heavy hands will befall her. She may be your wife, but she is the King’s subject, and he would not take kindly to mistreatment of her. It would be best for you to remember that!”

Upon the ending of his words, William harshly released Lord Summers and stormed from the room. With quickened strides, he headed towards Elizabeth’s chambers. Once in hearing distance, her cries echoed throughout the halls. William approached the door. He wanted to enter and beg for forgiveness. However, as her sorrow continued, he turned from the door, and shamefully headed towards his chambers. His heart broke upon each step.


**** ****

“Why?”

“As I said before my sweet child, it was the desires of men, which fueled this. We live in a time where women are pawns in men’s games. We are required to abide, trust and devote ourselves wholeheartedly, yet never request nor expect reciprocations. Tis the destiny of women.”

“William was not like this, mother. He has fueled my inner fire, never shying away from the flames nor its heat. He respected my words, regardless of how barbed they became or how they scratched his skin. He claimed we were destined to be man and wife.” Elizabeth's words began strong and decisive, but as they continued, they soften. At the end, they were mere whispers.

“Elizabeth, even though it was so long ago, I was once too, wooed by pleasing and promising words of a handsome man. I was young, almost the same age as yourself, when I met your father. We were wedded, after a whirlwind courtship. Your father was given the blessing of Henry VII, due to me being a Lady in Waiting, and he was a member of his court. Within a year, I was with child-you my sweet Elizabeth. Several years after your birth, your father was given his position as a French Ambassador. At the beginning, we were truly in love, or so I believed. However, once your father received the prestige he longed for. I was no longer worth his time nor effort. Your father remained away for extended periods. He no longer took comforts in our marital bed. His mistresses came shortly after, along with his hateful words and ungentle hands.” Lady Summers’ gaze remained on Elizabeth throughout her tale. Several moments of silence fell between them, before Elizabeth spoke,

“Mother, I am truly sorry for your misfortunes, but this does not mean that I am destined for the same path.”

“I would agree with you my daughter, for if it was not for the means of how I became a Lady in Waiting, which mirrors yours.” Elizabeth’s eyes widened with her mother’s disclosure. Throughout her life, her mother had told her of the joyous and wondrous times she had within the court, as a Lady in Waiting. However, Elizabeth realized, she was never told how she was bestowed the honor. Lady Summers’ gaze became hazy and fixed, as her words began,

“When I was a child, life was simple and filled with kindhearted people. My parents were among those I speak of. They loved each other with a pure love, which regretfully, not all are fortunate to find…”

“Like Eros and Psyche?”

Lady Summers’ eyes cleared briefly, while she beheld her daughter. Cupping her chin with her fingers, a soft loving smile adorned her lips, as she whispered,
“Yes, their love was one for the heavens and stories.” With a deep sigh, she continued,

“During the winter prior to my sixteenth birthday, my father passed unexpectedly during the night. My mother was devastated. Not only was she a widow with a daughter, which was not betrothed, she was without family. No one could take care of us, and the debts that my father’s passing had left behind. Despite the true love that flowed between them, my mother needed to do what she must, to keep us fed and our family together. The following summer, she married once more. Her husband, Lord Rayne, was a vile, cruel man. Where my father fostered my mother’s feelings and worth, Lord Rayne tore apart her entire being. In a matter of months, the once regal woman that would greet all those near, with smiles and tenderness, became a shell of her former self. The final devastation to her, which she never truly recovered from, was when Lord Rayne conspired with your father, for me to become a Lady in Waiting and a young mistress to the King. Both men were hungry for power. They believed if I had the King’s attentions, then each would prosper within the court.”

Elizabeth pulled her mother into a fierce, but comforting hug, as tears spilled down her cheeks. After several moments, Lady Summers pulled away slightly. She placed a tender kiss to her forehead, and then spoke once more,

“I was not aware of their plans until long after your father, and I were wed. After we moved to France and Lord Rayne passed away. It was late one night, following a disagreement, when I was told. I believe the only reason for the disclosure, was due to the combination of your father’s pompous and prideful demeanor and his tongue being loose from wine. Regardless, I finally was told the truth. Otherwise, I don’t believe I would have ever known.”

“And what of the King?” Elizabeth was initially hesitant to ask. However, since this was her fate, she felt that she must know the whole truth.

“Fortunately, the King was not interested in taking a mistress. Do not mistake me, men, especially men of power, believe it is their given right to take mistresses. Henry the VII was a man of value. True he did take mistresses, but only in times that his wife was not able to share their marital bed, when she was heavy with child. Otherwise, he was fully devoted to her. Unlike their son, Henry the VIII, whom is upon the throne presently.”

Elizabeth blanched at her mother’s words. She swallowed past the lump within her throat. With a shaky voice, she inquired.

“How do you know of the King’s nature?”

“Elizabeth, it may have been many years since I have graced the English court. However, I still correspond with those that are well known within. The King has a voracious appetite- for power, prestige, and women... many women. I fear that he now has his sights upon you.”

“I, likewise, share your fear mother. Isn’t there any way that I am able to decline the King’s offer?”

“It pains my heart to say, there is nothing we can do. Your father has accepted the King’s sequester, and it is to be done.” Renewed tears spilled from Elizabeth’s eyes, as she was filled with despair. Until Lady Summers’ words filled her with a glimmer of hope once more.

“Elizabeth, you need to leave for England in the morn. Bring with you, not only your belongings, but your strength and knowledge. All that I have taught you and your formidable mind will assure that you will make your own fate. Not just follow blindly.”

“Thank you mother. I love you and I will make you proud.”

Elizabeth and Lady Summers slid beneath the covers. She placed her head upon her mother’s chest, mirroring a position she always held as a young child. Lady Summers caressed Elizabeth’s golden tresses, with soothing strokes. Once the servants extinguished the candles and parted, Lady Summers’ words were the last Elizabeth heard before sleep overtook her.

“Remember, my dearest Elizabeth, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. (1)”







(1) Eleanor Roosevelt made this quote.








Chapter End Notes:
Please, reviews aide with my writing, good, bad or otherwise. Also, check out my new story, which is in it's third chapter, Prize Fighters!