Author's Chapter Notes:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for being patient with a lengthy delay in posting. My muse was being quite stubborn, so no muse, no story. Gratefully, she is being cooperative, at this moment. I actually have the next chapter almost completely written! Well, thanks to all of you for reading and reviewing my tale. Hopefully this chapter will be worth the wait. Also BIG thanks to sanityfair!!!
Elizabeth met the early dawn with her mother’s soft words and comforting caresses willing her awake. She closed her eyes tighter, in hopes that morn hadn’t truly crested and she could remain within her mother’s embrace.

“I know you are awake my sweet child. You must greet the world with unshielded eyes.” Lady Summers placed a chaste kiss to Elizabeth’s crown before she stirred. Her head still pillowed on her mother’s breast, she spoke.

“Mother, with your guidance and knowledge of the truth this will be so.”

Elizabeth’s words caused a sweet smile to adorn her mother’s lips. Still embracing Elizabeth, Lady Summers spoke.

“Regardless of the miles between us, I will always be your guide.”

“I know this mother. Your wisdom will erase all time and space.”

Elizabeth gave her mother a final hug, as she hesitantly pulled from her embrace. Each woman stood from the bed and walked towards the window.

Golden rays of the dawn’s early light, streamed across the grounds, climbed the manor’s wall and landed upon Elizabeth’s face. Her eyes closed as she soaked in the warmth. With a deep, cleansing breath, she turned to face her mother. With conviction and certainty, Elizabeth announced.

“I am ready to face my destiny.”



**** ****



Elizabeth and Lady Summers walked arm in arm towards the courtyard. Despite the reasons behind this voyage, each woman’s features exuded content and acceptance. Elizabeth had made peace with the knowledge of what her future held.

She had decided her ties with William must be severed. This decision was not made lightly. With all her being, she still loved William, but his dishonesty, was a slight that could not be overlooked. Elizabeth knew William would fight and attempt to change her mind, which she expected. Regardless of his loving and coaxing words, she would remain steadfast. She needed to be, or she would truly be lost.

Elizabeth’s gaze remained fixed on the carriage laden with all her possessions. Her heart sank slightly with the knowledge that in mere moments, her life was truly changing. She would no longer be Lady Elizabeth, daughter to Lord and Lady Summers. Her future title would be of her own making. A Lady in Waiting to Queen Catherine and if the men in her life had any say, a mistress to King Henry VIII.

Elizabeth could feel William’s steady gaze, boring into her. Despite the draw his mere presence dictated, she held firm. Witnessing the coachmen assuming their positions, Elizabeth approached her father to give parting words.

“Father, take care with the notion that I will honor this family whilst I am in England. All that I am and all that I will become is due to my upbringing within these very walls. I assure you, I will never forget who nurtured, cherished and loved me.”

Confidence surrounded each word and filled her features as she addressed her father. Once her last word was spoken, she turned from him and never looked back. Lord Summers’ stone façade remained as Elizabeth approached her mother.

Lady Summers welcomed Elizabeth into her comforting embrace, which both hoped, not for the final time. Each woman held their tears, while Lady Summers whispered parting words as she cradled Elizabeth’s face in her hands.

“Being your mother was my soul purpose upon this earth and my greatest accomplishment. One day when you carry a babe of your own, you will understand the love a mother has for her child. Now go my sweet child, the world awaits you.”

Lady Summers’ placed a final chaste kiss on her forehead and stepped away. Elizabeth’s forlorn smile held as she walked towards the carriage, Anne following in her wake. With aid, she entered and took her seat next to the window where her mother stood. Their gazes held, while Anne, then William took their places.

Elizabeth’s gaze remained. Even when she heard William tap on the side of the carriage twice, to inform the coachmen they were prepared to leave. The carriage jolted slightly before it started to move.

Lady Elizabeth mirrored her mother’s wave and continued to do so, until her mother was no longer in sight. Once she disappeared, her gaze remained outside the window.



**** ****



The carriage made its way to the furthest reaches of the property before it disappeared from her sight. As soon as it had done so, Lady Summers released the tears that she held at bay. Lord Summers approached her after several moments. With a clenched jaw, and words riddled with scorn, he addressed his wife.

“It appears the wretch does have feelings after all. I wonder, do you cry because you no longer can poison our daughter with your hateful thoughts of men or simply because you no longer have an ally within these manor walls?”

Lady Summers’ faced her husband with confidence, which was only shown in small doses, until last night. It was at that moment she vowed unto herself that she would no longer allow this man to speak ill to or about her.

“I do not weep in sadness dearest husband, I do so in joy. My daughter will carry my words and legacy onwards. Each babe she bears will be taught that women are to be cherished, not discarded nor underestimated. When my soul leaves my body and this Earth, I will live on. You will only be celebrated by the maggots which will feast upon your rotting flesh.”

Lord Summers’ eyes blazed from his wife’s disrespectful words. He lunged to grab her arm, and was met with resistance, as she pulled away. Biting words fell once more from his clenched mouth.

“It appears that the devil that resided within your mind has slithered to your mouth and has grabbed hold of your tongue.”

Lady Summers’ stepped forward. With her chin held high, she spoke. “No, twas all me, dearest husband. Twas all me.”

Following her words, Lady Summers’ turned and headed towards the manor, leaving a befuddled man in her wake.



**** ****

William gazed upon Elizabeth, whose eyes had yet to leave the world outside. Her rigid hands remained clasped upon her lap. Only her breath, gave an indication of the life, which dwelled within.

Since the moment, she fled from the hall William had not been able to attain solace nor peace. Not that he believed he deserved them. He rightly deserved any punishment she would bestow upon him. This did include the silence and her ignoring him, which she had been doling out in spades.

Last night, when he entered into his chambers, her cries rang through his mind for many hours, regardless of the jugs of wine he consumed. Neither his mind nor his guilt would let him rest. Time seemed to have no meaning until he greeted the dawn’s light with reddened, tired eyes. With leaden steps, he moved around his chambers preparing for the day.

Within the deep recesses of his mind, he held hope that all that had transpired was a nightmare and Elizabeth would greet him with open arms and kind words. When he spied her entering in the courtyard, not a single gaze sent his way, his fears that this was reality struck deep.

Now, they sat in close quarters, yet worlds apart. He wanted to beg for forgiveness, fall upon one knee pledge his love and devotion to the tiny woman that stole his heart.

Anne felt the tension that radiated off The Duke and Lady Elizabeth. After an hour, the only sound that could be heard were the panting breaths of the horses and the wheels turning, Anne felt she needed to intervene.

“M’lady…”

Her voice sounded foreign to all in earshot. Elizabeth blinked several times to clear her head before she turned towards her.

“Yes Anne?”

“M’lady, I am feeling quite ill. These roads are unkempt and are causing the carriage to rock to and fro. May I travel up front with the coachman awhile?”

Elizabeth was unsure how to answer. With Anne taking ill, she knew that she would be unable to attend to or give comfort to her, while in her own wearisome state. However, if Anne took leave, she would be alone with William. Being left alone in the lion’s den was a precarious place to be, despite how strong Elizabeth’s determination was. One touch of his hand, Elizabeth feared her resolve would disappear. After several moments of thought, Elizabeth responded.

“Anne, tis fine. I regret that you have taken ill. If fresh air will cure you, then, please do so.”

Anne suppressed the smile, which desired to break free on her lips. She knew Lady Elizabeth loved the Duke and the Duke loved her in kind. Regretfully, he had deceived her, in order to serve their King. Normally, Anne would loathe the man for that alone. Except, late last night, she heard soft sobs that echoed from his chambers. The only word that could be deciphered from his drunken sobs was ‘Elizabeth.’

Furthermore, his gaze had yet to leave Elizabeth the entire time. The air was not only heavy with silence, but with pain and regret. Several days back, Elizabeth had requested her help with matters of the heart. Anne was going to do just that.

William knocked on the wood twice to halt the carriage. The coachman slowed the horses down, until they had come to rest. After several moments, he had knocked on the door and spoke.

“Your Grace, is there something amiss?”

“Yes, please allow Lady Elizabeth’s handmaiden to accompany you up front.”

“Yes, Your Grace.” With his words, the door swung open. He offered his hand to aid Anne out. Before the door closed, William spoke once more.

“I needn’t remind you your manners do I?”

“No, Your Grace.”

“Very well.”

With a nod, William excused him. Several moments passed before the carriage moved once more. The silence within seemed to thicken without Anne present. William could not bear anymore.

“Elizabeth, will silence be our constant companion?”

Only silence met his question. William huffed loudly and attempted to shift himself from one side of the carriage to the other. Before he could lift his body, Elizabeth’s words echoed within.

“Do not sit next to me Your Grace.”

William was hurt by her tone, which was riddled with disdain. Additionally, she used his title, not his name. He was unsure what he could say to have her at least, look upon him once more. While his mind raced, Elizabeth’s voice rang out.

“I have only one question for you, may I ask it?”

For the first time, her gaze shifted from the world outside to him. William’s heart sank further, as he looked upon the once sparkling greens, which were now filled with distrust and anguish.

“Please Elizabeth, ask anything you so desire. I am yours to wield.”

“Why?”

William’s brow furrowed from her question. It was so broad. Why…what? Why did he love her? Why wasn’t he honest? Why did he let others string him along? There were so many possibilities, so many answers. Regardless of all those that looped through his mind, he was not prepared for hers.

“Why did you not prepare me better for the King, if I am to be his mistress?”

William’s eyes widened, as bile rose in his throat, hearing her words. He questioned himself if he heard her correctly.

With a shaky voice he spoke, “Did you just…” Before he could finish, Elizabeth interrupted.

“Yes, you heard me correctly. I inquired why you hadn’t performed your duties in preparing me to be the King’s whore.”

“Elizabeth, you are no one’s whore! How could you ever believe that anyone could label you as such?” William asked incredulously.

“If this is not the truth, then why did you use my body, to create a pliable mind? My knowledge instructs me that one, who uses their body to achieve their desires, is a whore.” Elizabeth looked upon William with disdain. Narrowing her eyes, she continued, “Maybe, you are correct, I am not the King’s whore. That title belongs solely to you.”

Elizabeth’s words scorched his soul, as if she had pushed him into the pits of hell. Before he could speak, she turned to face the window once more. His gaze held on Elizabeth, wishing he could repair the damage he had done. William feared he had truly lost her, to the greediness of men.


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are loved and cherished!