Author's Chapter Notes:
I appreciate everyone's reviews for this story. Keep them coming!!! Each one helps immensely! Thanks as always to Sanityfair! Big Hugs!!!
“Lord Summers…William Pratt, Duke of Suffolk!”

“Does that answer your query, my dearest daughter?”


Upon the grand entrance of the Duke of Suffolk, the Summers’ previous quarrels were forgotten. Each moved to greet him.

The ladies curtseyed deeply. Lord Summers bowed to the approaching Duke. Elizabeth’s eyes remained downcast as she heard her father address the Duke of Suffolk.

“Your Grace. It is our highest privilege to have your presence in our humble home.” The smooth, practiced words fell from Lord Summers’ lips.

Elizabeth had to temper a snicker, as she thought, “My father’s words and false niceties could fertilize acres of land!” Her thoughts were interrupted by a rich baritone voice.

“Lord Summers, it is my great pleasure to grace your manor on the King’s behalf. It has been a number of years since my last trip to France. I am pleased to say, the French has yet to bestow upon their realm all the gifts our beloved King has done for his. England by far, has a greater means for nobility and the common alike. Do you not agree?”

As the Duke’s words tumbled from his lips, Elizabeth’s anger grew. She bit the inside of her cheek to still the words that rushed forth on her tongue.

She waited for her father to dispute at least the fact that their home and lands were grand and lovely. Unfortunately, outside the gates of the estate, Elizabeth could not attest. Following her father’s response, Elizabeth could taste blood upon her tongue.

“Your Grace, my agreement with you could not be more profound. It has been almost a year, since I have graced the King’s court, but I assure you, my heart stills every time. The French court is filled with mere shadows of the grandness the King beseeches his members and bestows upon all those that enter.”

“Yes, Lord Summers we could discuss the finer points of England well into the day, but I feel we have greater interests to attend to.” The Duke of Suffolk’s eyes flared as he subtly hinted towards the women who remained bowed.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes as she pictured her father falling upon the floor and cleaning the Duke’s boots with his wagging tongue. Inwardly, she thought, “He is insulting my father and his possessions! How does my father defend? With sweet words and smiles! Such a fool!”

“Please excuse my rudeness and forgetfulness, Your Grace.” Lord Summers approached to the side of Lady Summers and introduced her to the man before her.

“Your Grace, this is my wife, Countess Summers.” Lady Summers extracted herself from the ground slightly and raised her head and hand toward the Duke.

“Your Grace,” Lady Summers’ voice flowed like sweet music as she addressed the Duke.

“Lady Summers,” placing a chaste kiss on her hand, he continued, “It is my sincerest pleasure to behold the stunning Lady of this manor.”

“You are so kind, Your Grace,” Lady Summers stated as she stood to full height. Before Lord Summers could speak, Lady Summers introduced her daughter,

“Your Grace, may I have the privilege of introducing my daughter, Lady Elizabeth.”

Elizabeth remained firmly in her position. In her line of sight, she beheld a pair of black riding boots and nothing more. Elizabeth then raised her head slightly, lifting her hand.

Past anger fled. Now millions of butterflies had taken flight within her stomach. Her uneasiness was for two reasons; Firstly, this was her first time to entertain of any sort of nobility. Secondly, this man was going to change her entire world. The moment she acknowledged his presence, all she had ever known would be but a memory.

“Your Grace.” Elizabeth’s words fell from her lips in a slight tremble.

Masculine fingers, feather soft, brushed upon hers. Whispered tendrils of an unknown feeling, crept from her hand, and spread throughout. Before she could label this foreign reaction, another, more powerful began. A tidal wave of heat, and pulses of electricity, blazed through her. A slight gasp fell from Elizabeth’s lips. She looked up to witness what had transpired.

Upon her flesh, a man’s full lips were placed. They were soft, yet firm, as they lingered. Time seemed to still, the outside world, nonexistent. As soon as these mysterious feelings began, his lips moved away.

“Lady Elizabeth, it is all my pleasure to be granted your acquaintance.” Her eyes rose at his words. Fathomless pools of cerulean, danced with delight and something else, as they studied her intently, beneath inky lashes.

Upon the release of her hand, Elizabeth rose to full height. She felt flushed and confused. Never before had she felt these feelings. It was true this visitor was the first nobility, to grace her home. All her father’s business was done outside the home, mainly in the French courts, as per her mother’s request.

“Mere nervousness,” Elizabeth inwardly reminded herself. She counted slowly to three before she responded to the Duke’s words. Her gaze held firm upon his.

“As ours, Your Grace. Despite your utter detest for France and all it has to offer. I assure you, your stay here will be of the highest standards as it is at Whitehall Palace.”

Upon her declaration, Lady Summers gasped slightly. Elizabeth could feel her father’s fury-filled gaze, burn a path across the room. She could hear the deep intake of Lord Summers’ breath, as he prepared to scold her.

Instantly, full lips parted and deep baritone laughter filled the hall. His prominent Adam’s apple bobbed, as the mirth escaped his throat. William’s snickers filled the space between his words, as he addressed Lord Summers.

“Ah…she is a cheeky one, is she not? I sense she has spoken her mind often in your midst, Lord Summers?” William asked as his gaze met with her father’s now slightly relaxed one.

While William’s gaze held her father’s, Elizabeth’s eyes glanced over his form. A halo of snow- white hair was placed firmly to his head by hairdressing. Sculpted cheekbones stood proudly from his near perfect alabaster flesh. These prominent features flowed into full lips, which remained raised with a cheeky smile all his own.

Her gaze continued downwards as she appreciated him entirely. Masculine form donned in a black doublet with silver embroidery and inlaid pearls. Laid across his broad chest, a gold livery collar, with the Tudor’s rose hanging from dual portcullis. Black breeches tucked inside thigh length boots.

Sir William was extremely handsome. Elizabeth, despite no knowledge of this man before her, felt slightly enamored with him.

“Yes, Your Grace. Lady Elizabeth is full of intelligence and wit. She will be an excellent addition to court. My understanding of Queen Catherine is she thrives on intelligent conversations and Lady’s with knowledge in worldly notions.” Lord Summers retorted, in an attempt to smooth over her daughter’s wayward speech.

“Yes, My Lord. Queen Catherine does enjoy stimulating conversations, but ones that involve literature and arts. Not which involve means of state or realm. Queen Catherine is a dutiful wife, as well as a loving woman of God. All her Ladies in Waiting follow her example obediently and completely.”

Sir William’s comment struck Elizabeth deep. She knew that his words were meant to belittle her and ‘put her in her place’ as her father so often attempted.

Speaking of the Queen was Sir William’s means. If the Queen is dutiful and holds her tongue, a mere child of an Earl and Countess has no right for thoughts or words.

Any feelings she held only moments earlier, took flight at his next comment, a renewed fury filled Elizabeth.

“Lord Summers, your daughter’s wit will not be necessary to accompany us when we depart for England. Besides her fineries, her beauty is all that is required.”

William’s heated gaze roamed over Elizabeth’s features. His eyes settled upon the slight swell of her breasts, framed by the low, square necked bodice.

Elizabeth’s tongue tensed in her mouth, as biting words formed. Lady Summers knowing her daughter all too well; spoke before her daughter’s tongue lashed the Duke before them.

“Your Grace. You must be tired from your long journey to our home. Fires to ward off the chills of this spring day are blazing within your chambers. Not to be forward, Your Grace, but time to gather your bearings may be recommended. Before the fine meal that we have prepared for your arrival is served.”

Lady Summers’ voice was gentle. It swept through the room, changing all those present. Lord Summers seemed to anger at his wife’s forwardness. William’s gaze moved from her daughter to her. Elizabeth’s clenched jaw released slightly.

“Lady Summers, your recommendation is noted and well received. A rest before the anticipated fine meal that I look forward to, is a wise idea. If all is well at present, I will take my leave to my chambers. Today I rest, morrow a tour of your estate, Lord Summers?” William’s words addressed the three members of the Summers family, but his gaze returned to Elizabeth.

“Your Grace, may I accompany you as you walk to your chambers. Perhaps, a brief discussion of matters not privy to women can be spoken?” Lord Summers inquired, he appeared anxious to discuss the sequestering in full. William’s heated gaze left Elizabeth briefly. Now an annoyed gaze fell upon Lord Summers.

“Lord Summers, I assure you, all will be discussed in due time. I have grown weary of introductions and would like to retire to my chambers.”

Before William turned to leave the hall, he first faced Lady Summers.

“Lady Summers.” William placed a cursory peck upon her hand, as she curtsied. Once he released Lady Summers’ hand, he moved to stand before Elizabeth.

Elizabeth curtsied and raised her hand. Her gaze remained upon William as he gently clutched her fingers. Lingering, but brief, sensual kiss was placed upon her knuckles. The sharp intake of his breath was felt upon her flesh, his eyes closed slightly. Elizabeth attempted to extract her hand, quickly. He had other plans. His grip remained firm, until the dictate of manners required him released her. Both parties returned to full height, as William spoke,

“Lady Elizabeth, I do hope you could accompany Lord Summers and I morrow. Even though your fair beauty may distract from the grounds, your presence is most desired.”

Before Elizabeth could reply, William headed towards the hall door, Lord Summers in tow.


**** ****


Silence fell between both ladies as they walked toward her mother’s bedchambers. Once they entered, Lady Summers dismissed her servants with whispered instructions. Following their respectful curtseys and ‘Yes, my Lady’ each woman exited, leaving Elizabeth and her mother alone. Mentally, Lady Summers’ counted, as she awaited her daughter to speak. She only reached three.

“How DARE he?!?” Elizabeth’s bellow resounded loudly from her chest. Upon her angered question, she started to pace with a wide and fury-filled gait, the length of the chambers several times, before her mother responded.

“Elizabeth, you are his daughter. We both knew this time for you to leave our home was fast approaching. For many of the years, I have had my say of you and your future. Not only in your upbringing, but in matters of your betrothal and attendance to court, which for a woman of any station is unheard of,” Lady Summers explained to her furious child.

Lady Summers stepped in front of her daughter’s storming form to heed her angered movements. Once Elizabeth’s gaze was held with hers, Lady Summers continued to speak,

“Please, my sweet child, understand. As you well know, betrothal you have no choice. No say. A man your father chose for you to wed unfortunately may not appreciate all your amazing qualities. With your service to the Queen, as her Lady in Waiting, you are expected to be unwed, intelligent and worldly. All these qualities and so much more do you possess. While serving under the Queen, you will have opportunities to meet an Earl, Duke or even a Baron in the King’s court. This will ensure a choice. Your choice. Please, see this is a blessing, not a curse.” Lady Summers’ completed her words with a gentle kiss upon her daughter’s hands, which were housed inside hers.


“Mother, I understand why father has done this. I may not agree with his unkind methods, but I understand and accept them, nevertheless,” Elizabeth explained as she gazed upon her mother. Confusion marred Lady Summers’ face from her daughter’s words, until understanding began to fill her wide eyes.

“You are not speaking of your father, are you?”

“Of course not! My knowledge of seventeen years has prepared me for his behaviors. Unfortunately, they have not for the Duke of Suffolk!” Elizabeth resumed her pace. Her hands flailed in annoyance.

“That…that knave is to be my consort to England? A heathen? He was utterly scandalous in his manners! The way he held my hand, how his mouth lingered upon my flesh! Just the manner in which he looked upon me! He inspected me, as if I was a broodmare! I am surprised, he didn’t request father parade me around the hall and display my teeth!”

Lady Summers’ stifled her laugh behind her hand. Her gaze continued to follow her exasperated daughter’s movements. As before, she stepped in front of her. Abruptly, Elizabeth stopped, as she noticed her mother’s smile.

“Mother! I do not find any humor in this situation in the slightest.” With eyes blazing her words seeping from between her teeth.

“My dearest child, this is your first introduction to the appreciation of a man. Due to your limited exposure to those of the male persuasion, with the exception of servants and your father, you are not well versed in how a man…well how a man responds to a young woman, such as yourself.”

“So it is a common place for a man to greet a woman in such a fashion? It is as if women are only in this world for their appreciation? If this is the case mother, I choose to remain an old maid within this manor’s four walls, I assure you,” Elizabeth bit out.

“Elizabeth, such speak is only based on the unknown. If I instructed you in the world outside of literature and the arts, His Grace’s behavior would have been expected if not anticipated. For that, I apologize for not bestowing this knowledge unto you.” A shimmer of tears welled within Lady Summers’ eyes as she spoke to her daughter. Elizabeth’s hardened features softened as she witnessed her mother’s distress.

“Please mother, do not cry. The knowledge that you have bestowed upon me is valued more than the King’s treasures. I assure you, you have made me into a woman of worth, not of lacking,” Elizabeth responded as she wrapped her arms around her mother’s waist and placed her head upon her chest.

Lady Summers’ heart swelled as her only child clutched her. Running loving hands over her daughter’s flaxen tresses, she spoke,

“Elizabeth, you are a beautiful young woman, inside and out. I pray that neither court nor a husband changes this radiant light that emanates from you,” Lady Summers whispered as she placed a gentle kiss upon her daughter’s forehead. Each woman’s gaze held briefly before Elizabeth spoke.

“Since we have but days before I am to set sail, could you please fill my mind with all that is necessary for court life?”

“Of course my sweet child, my knowledge is all but yours,” Lady Summers affirmed.

Placing another chaste kiss upon her daughter’s forehead, she extracted herself for her embrace. With gentle hands, she led Elizabeth toward the chairs located by the large window in her room, where many of their lessons had transpired. She knew that her mother’s knowledge was vast. Elizabeth had no fear that she would prepare her well. The only concern was if her lessons would include how to deal with a knave, such as Sir William.


Chapter End Notes:
I hope all enjoyed...please...please review!