Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope everyone is enjoying! I truly appreciate everyone's reviews! They really keep the story flowing within my mind. A huge thanks to Sanityfair, for without her, my stories would be riddled with mistakes and completely worth nothing.
Traces of mirth remained upon William and Elizabeth’s faces as they passed through the wooden doors of the banquet hall. Savory aromas of the feast and soothing harmonies of the violin, flute, lute and viol, encompassed their senses. Lord Summers had spared no expense, for the Duke of Suffolk’s arrival.

A magnificent centerpiece, of passé crassane pears and cardinal-red tulips, which formed an edifice of pure delight for the senses, lay upon the table, with numerous spring floral arraignments encircling it. Servants cleansed William and Elizabeth’s hands with water then escorted them to their seats.

Positioned on either end of the lengthy trestle table were Lord and Lady Summers. William sat closer to Lord Summers. Elizabeth sat athwart her mother, upon the alternate side of William. Once William took his position, Lord Summers’ voice filled the air; a barrage of questions fell from his lips to the Duke’s ears.

Service of the aromatic meal began during this one-sided conversation. The first course consisted of civet of hare with wild mushrooms and onions, spit-roasted pig and sturgeon, which was delicately seasoned. While the foursome enjoyed their meal, the second course followed. This consisted of roe deer, quail and a steak pie set within a coffin of flaky pastry. Plates of silver remained full as each person sampled the delicious creations set before them. Throughout the meal music, conversation, and wine flowed freely.

William and Elizabeth traded numerous inconspicuous glances. During one lengthy, appreciative glance at William, Elizabeth began to question all that had transpired since their initial meeting.

She herself was amazed how this man had instilled fury and calmness within her being, with mere words and actions. One moment, she was enraged due to his almost scandalous behavior during their introductions and increased tenfold by his nefarious behavior with Margaret. Then, as if another man had taken over his body, he presented her tokens of apologies; with kind words and a thoughtful gift. The Duke of Suffolk was a total enigma to Elizabeth, which she was intrigued to solve.

“I believe I was wrong about the Duke. I shall grant him leniency, I may have been too hasty…” Elizabeth’s words stilled within her mind, as she overheard her father’s and Sir William’s present conversation.

“…and the delivery of cheese and wine, did it quell your hunger Your Grace?” A devious smile graced Lord Summers’ lips, upon his words to Sir William.

“Yes, it was quite delectable Lord Summers. Every morsel was devoured with equal vigor,” Sir William retorted with a devilish grin.

Once William spoke the words, he felt someone’s eyes upon him. His gaze moved from Lord Summers to the other end of the table, more specifically to Lady Elizabeth. Angry eyes, sharp as daggers, beheld him. Her fury filled gaze matched the sharpened knife clutched within her petite fist. William was ignored when he attempted to sooth her wrath with a toast of wine.

“Your mouth needs to be fitted with a metal bit William, if you are to make it back to England in one piece,” He thought to himself, while he lowered his goblet and focused on his meal.

Served next was the third course. Placed before them were a plethora of darioles filled with custard, fine wines, preserves, passé crassane pears with white cream, cheese slices and other delightful pastries. All partook of the feast of sweets, all but Elizabeth. Her anger boiled within her veins and caused her desire for these delectable sweets to abate due to the Duke’s crass words and devilish grin.

“Such a fool, I am! The devil does not change, only transforms. He never strays from his true nature,” Elizabeth inwardly berated herself. Within moments of her own thoughts, Lord Summers’ heightened words dispelled Elizabeth’s inner monologue.

“Elizabeth, if you have completed your meal it would be of the greatest pleasure to hear your angelic voice sing us a song. Your Grace will be pleased to hear such sweet melodies. Since the only noises for the past month, were those of the waves licking upon the bow of his ship and boisterous sea faring men.”

Lord Summers’ request was full of pride and quite boisterous in itself as he addressed his only daughter. Elizabeth’s gaze beheld the Duke’s as she responded to her father’s request,

“My Lord, I have to decline such a request. I feel quite ill due to ingesting honeyed substances of which I’m unaccustomed. However, fear not, in the future I will not partake in them ever again, so I shall remain unburdened with this type of illness. If I may be excused, I should like to retire to my chambers.”

Upon her words, Elizabeth, with the aid of a servant, left the table and the hall. William knew, without a doubt, that she referred to his ‘honeyed’ words, not the food that lay before her. As she spoke, he tried to apologize with his gaze. This only seemed to infuriate her more.

The final course continued beyond Elizabeth’s departure. Even though Lord Summers’ conversation continued, his words never penetrated William’s mind, which was fixated upon Lady Elizabeth and coming into her good graces again. William knew this would be a feat difficult to accomplish, if at all.

Once the feast concluded, Lady Summers retired to her chambers, and the men entered into Lord Summers’ solar suite. Flanked on either side of the hearth, wine in hand, Lord Summers’ initiated the discussion of Lady Elizabeth’s sequester.

“Your Grace, I would like to extend my gratitude to the King and to yourself for the procurement of my daughter Elizabeth. I feared due to the lack of betrothal at this time, Elizabeth would have remained a spinster well into her twenties. In addition, I fear since Elizabeth has yet to experience court that she may be overwhelmed at first. I assure you, Lady Summers will school her of the proper etiquette and the expectations of her, both from Queen Catherine, as well as from the King. I promise that all will be in place upon your leave,” Lord Summers attempted to assure the Duke with appeasing words.

“Lord Summers, I have no question that Lady Elizabeth will be a pleasant addition to court. I have yet one question about her. Is her ire easily placated?” William inquired with hope.

“Alas Your Grace, that is a quality that has yet to be tamed. Her anger is equal to a man’s. I fear that I have been too lenient with discipline in regard to her wayward tongue and temper. I intend to extinguish this quality, as well as her other faults before your voyage. My heavy hand will assure this,” Lord Summers’ avowed with a slight bite in his tone, which exhibited his own anger towards his daughter’s behaviors.

“And prior, how did you quell her wrath?” William’s words came forward as uninterested, a contradiction to how he truly felt.

“Time Your Grace, time is the only medicine for that ailment.”

Lord Summers’ answered, while he raised his goblet in a silent toast. Inwardly, William sighed, with the great task he had set before him.

If William presented Lady Elizabeth to the King with the current feelings, she held for him, surely, the King would be angered.

“I need to make amends to Lady Elizabeth for my behavior, for the King’s benefit,” William inwardly scolded himself. William needed to apologize for that reason alone, or so he attempted to convince himself.

**** ****

Elizabeth’s irritation still seethed within, as she prepared to retire for the evening. Sitting in front of her vanity, her mind wandered slightly as she brushed her golden tresses. Each hypnotic stroke lessened her ire. Her eyes closed with enjoyment. A light knock upon her door broke Elizabeth from her now calmed disposition.

A servant answered the door and after initial acknowledgement of who was upon the threshold, she called forth Lady Elizabeth. Believing that it was her father, to scold her for her early retreat from dinner, Elizabeth pulled her robe closer around her as she approached.

“Father, I am sorry for my early retirement. I was feeling…” Elizabeth’s words froze. Her gaze met Sir William.

“Lady Elizabeth, I understand that this is not proper time for a visit unto your chambers, I apologize. It’s is of utmost importance…” William’s words were rushed. He attempted to speak before he was met with her fury-filled words, or most likely the wooden barrier that was, for the moment, ajar.

“Your Grace, there is no proper time for you to visit my chambers. I suggest that in the future forget where it lies within this manor. In addition, your apology is unnecessary. I am aware of your true nature, forgetting was my mistake. A dog, even though well trained by its master, is still an animal even so. Now, if you will excuse me, this conversation has met its end. Your Grace.”

Upon her curtsey, Elizabeth proceeded to close the door. The Duke’s strong hand upon the wood broke the barrier, and his words filled the air,

“Please Lady Elizabeth, I beg for your forgiveness yet again. I do not wish for you to hold ill thoughts nor feelings toward me. Especially, since our journey together has yet to begin. If you fail to speak with me my sanity may be no more once we reach England.”

William attempted to appease Elizabeth with his words. He knew that she might deny him regardless, but he needed to make an attempt.

“Your Grace, as I said before, forgiveness is not mine to give since this is in your nature. Only God can forgive you for your behaviors. If need be, ask Lord Summers to fetch a priest in the morn if you so feel the desire to purge your misdeeds. Now, please do not plague my door anymore this Eve nor any other. Goodnight Your Grace.”

William was too stunned by Elizabeth’s words. When she pushed the door closed, it did so. Only the loud sound of closure broke him from his bewilderment.

As William turned away and walked towards his chambers, his thoughts were plagued. He had never in all his years, apologized in such a fashion to a woman for his behavior. He begged for her forgiveness and her denial had upset him greatly. Normally, brief silky words or a charming smile easily swayed even the angriest of women. Usually these empty placating means had been delightful, these once angered women, sharing his bed.

Elizabeth easily unveiled each façade and addressed them completely. William was fully displeased with himself due to his words within the banquet hall. Even though he mirrored Lord Summers’ lecherous grin and tone, he had not felt that way. His past misdeeds toward Lady Elizabeth were wrong, and he had hoped that his apologies had erased them. Despite, endless denials, in an instant reality set in.

“How could I love a woman, I have not known less than a day?” William questioned himself. Within an instant, his mind formed an answer, “Time matters not. Elizabeth is your destiny. This fact was known the moment you set eyes upon her. Only denial and loyalty to the King had swayed this fact. With the truth known and accepted, the only issue would be how to convince her and the King of this matter. This will be a feat unto itself, but I am willing to perform all mean within my being, or die trying.”

Upon this firm inward declaration, William continued toward his chambers to plan his next attempt to win the lovely Elizabeth.


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are cherished and loved...thanks!