Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope that everyone is enjoying. Please let me know. All reviews are welcomed; positive, negative and the in-between. Thanks always to Sanityfair!
Elizabeth’s sleep was plagued with dreams of the silver tongue devil, with eyes of blue. His mere presence unnerved her. She was restless and unable to sleep. She greeted the morn, before the rooster heralded its arrival. The majestic array of colors that danced within the morning light was truly breathtaking.

Elizabeth felt slightly forlorn, since in two morns time, she would no longer be watching the sunrise from her bedroom. Silent tears fell. Fears she may never see her beloved family or home again, pervaded her thoughts.

A soft knock upon her chamber door pulled Elizabeth from her thoughts. She quickly dried her tears and called her servants to enter. Following their curtseys, the two women approached her.

“Good morn Lady Elizabeth, we hope you have slept well.”

“Yes, I slept fairly well. Especially due to the whirlwind of changes that transpired, but yesterday.”

Elizabeth’s own words sounded foreign to her ears. She moved from the chair to the window then turning, sat at the vanity. Elizabeth awaited the maids that were present to aid in her morning routine.

Elizabeth’s thoughts wandered, while one woman washed her feet, the other with gentle strokes, brushed her flaxen tresses; she remained distant.

Quietly, another servant entered. Once she curtsied and addressed Lady Elizabeth, she approached her. Upon the servant’s words, Elizabeth’s mind cleared with renewed interest.

“Lady Elizabeth, I have a message for you.”

“From whom?” Elizabeth inquired with slight interest.

"I was instructed not to say," Anne shifted slightly, while her gaze remained downturned.

“Well, enough intrigue Anne, please bestow upon me this gift,” Ire now laced Elizabeth's words. She requested the object with an upturned palm.

Anne pulled from her pocket, a crimson velvet satchel. Elizabeth’s eyes widened slightly, while Anne placed the gift upon her palm. As if this object was fragile, Elizabeth proceeded to cup her upturned hand with the other. She slowly brought it forward then placed them upon her lap.

With trembling fingers, she lifted the fabric, disclosing what lay beneath. Nestled upon the velveteen, was a golden necklace, adorned with a dozen emeralds. Each green gem sparkled in the morning light. The women remained silent, as they beheld the stunning gift.

“It’s so exquisite,” Elizabeth whispered in awe. While she ran her fingers tentatively over each smooth gem. “Anne, to whom do I thank for bestowing me with such a gift?” Elizabeth’s eyes were wide with excitement, matching the smile upon her lips.


Without a word, Anne handed Elizabeth a small piece of neatly folded parchment. Reluctantly, Elizabeth removed both hands from the necklace. She carefully unfolded the note. Reading the words, she held the parchment with one hand, the other returned to the gift upon her lap. Immediately, her eyes beheld writing upon the page.

Lady Elizabeth,

My wish was to present this gift, unto you in person. Unfortunately, I believed subsequent to our partings last Eve, you would not receive my presence so freely. I fear I have caused you great distress. My intensions were to sooth, not to exasperate. Alas, intensions are a fool’s errand, I am afraid. Regrettably, my careless words and distasteful behavior, has dismissed what little tolerance you had bestowed upon me prior.

Please accept this small token of my affections. Emeralds change color, when surrounded with deception and treachery. Wear them close to your heart, to ensure that none of these travesties will befall you in the future, by my words or actions.

Forever your Humble Servant,

William


Elizabeth reread his words several times before she placed the page upon her vanity. A myriad of feeling swirled within; awe, ire, delight, trepidation, utter confusion. The enigma that was the Duke of Suffolk, invoked inner turmoil

Elizabeth’s gaze remained transfixed upon her gift. She attempted to decide if it would be proper to keep his offering. She began to speak her thoughts aloud. The servants listened attentively, as each stilled their previous movements.

“I simply cannot accept this gift. To do so, would appear that I forgive Sir William of his trespasses against others and myself within this home. Which, I do not. He is still a knave and shall not be trusted. Furthermore, he must be aware, trinkets, sweet words and a handsome face will not buy me. There must be merit to his actions. He must do them with honesty. Not selfish means, which this clearly is.” During her monologue, Elizabeth extracted her feet from the water, stood and began to pace. Her gaze held firmly upon the necklace.

“All valid reasons, My Lady,” Anne stated, once Elizabeth’s words stilled a moment.

“Thank you Anne, I have yet finished. The next question is how to return this gift. Shall I send back the gift, with his letter and a counter letter of my own, informing him of my thoughts in reference to his gift? I assure you, I shall fill the letter with words sharp as my very tongue. Another version of return, I could send back his gift and letter, without a response. Have you deliver it to his person, with no explanation given. My silence and denial the only answers he will receive. Then another possibility…” Anne’s query interrupted Elizabeth.

“If I may be so bold Lady Elizabeth? For a gift that you are adamant about returning, there are many thoughts that plague your mind. Are your words to convince us or yourself, as to why you should deny such a lovely gift?”

Elizabeth’s movement abruptly ceased. She looked down upon the exquisite necklace, with wonderment. Her gaze then rose to Anne.

“Clearly, myself; I know my thoughts on his behaviors, which were abhorrent, have not changed. However, this exquisite gift is beyond a simple apology. I know not of games of the heart. Where, I assure you, the Duke of Suffolk, is quite fluent. This is all so confusing, I know not how to proceed,” Elizabeth’s voice wavered. Her gaze returned to the necklace.

“Lady Elizabeth, may I suggest?” Elizabeth proceeded to sit in front of her vanity, attentive gaze now fixed upon Anne.

“Please Anne; I feel that my lack of knowledge has caught me unaware. With a man such as the Duke, this is a precarious place to be.”

“Accept Your Grace’s gift. Wear it upon your neck this very day. When he queries, your reasons for doing so, give sparing answers. Act if it as you receive gifts often and this is but another to the many you have acquired. This nonchalant behavior will give equal measure as fierce words from your tongue.”

Anne’s words were clear and concise. During her suggestions, Elizabeth’s features shifted from hesitant to decisive. At the end, a teasing smirk hovered upon her lips.

“Anne, you are a profound addition to my servants. I feel I will be seeking your council in the future in regard to such matters,” Elizabeth stated with a definitive nod.

“My Lady, your statements fill me with utter delight. My ear is at the ready for your words.” Anne’s words ended with a deep curtsey, before she aided the other servants who returned to attend to Elizabeth.

“As my ear, is at the ready for yours. If you could please…” Upon her words, Elizabeth lifted the necklace up. With her eyes, she encouraged Anne to take the piece. She held her long tresses up, while Anne placed the necklace upon her. Anne fastened the clasp, and Elizabeth released her hair. Four gazes fell upon the vision reflected in the mirror.


**** ****
Following a quaint breakfast with her mother, Elizabeth proceeded to the gardens. Despite her mother’s frequent gazes at her neck, she did not question how Elizabeth had acquired this necklace. Elizabeth remained silent as well, unsure how to broach the subject herself.

With leisurely strides, the inviting spring day surrounded her, a myriad of colors: yellows, purples and reds, stretched out before her. The warm rays of the sun, danced upon everything that lay within its reach. Elizabeth ran her fingertips over the soft petals, which blossomed to drink in the day. Sweet melodies, of the birds echoed within the air. Preoccupied with her surroundings; Elizabeth did not hear anyone approach.

“Beautiful.”

Elizabeth startled by the deep baritone voice disturbing her tranquil sanctuary. Her hand flew to her breast, while she turned towards the voice.
“Your Grace! You have startled me! I am usually the only person that visits the gardens. Father feels they just weeds, and mother’s condition doesn’t allow her to remain in the sun for too long.”

“Please Lady Elizabeth, accept my apology. I was merely commenting on the beauty surrounding me. I had no means to cause distress.”

“No, you have caused none, just merely startled me. If I may impose, what brings you outside? Surely, my father would not have suggested indulging in your presence out here.”

“No, he did not suggest here exactly. He said he and I would be touring his lands today. I assume, since he inquired the type of saddle I required, we are traveling afar.”

“Ah, father is planning to show you the furthest reaches of his domain. Despite being one of the deadly sins, father does indulge in pride quite a bit.”
“As do all men, Lady Elizabeth, as do we all. Speaking of which, I see that you have received my gift.”

“Gift?”

“Yes, the one you wear upon your neck.”

“Yes, your gift. Your Grace, I assure you, my father will be grateful for your thoughtfulness. I was unaware, until your letter, that emeralds hold such power. As one would wear a cross to protect oneself from the devil, I shall too, wear this to protect me from his deception and treachery. May I pry and inquire if my mother’s gift was emeralds as well? I fear that deception and treachery can lie within every facet of our lives. All ladies must be protected.”

“I fear that I have not given such a gift unto your mother. I felt her husband’s protection from deviousness and treachery, would be sufficient.”

“I see. Well, I will have to inform Lord Summers of this power emeralds hold. May I inquire? Where did you procure the necklace?”

“Once I landed the village just outside of port. It is a tradition of mine, that during my travels, I collect rare beauties from the land I visit. These excursions make the voyage much more tolerable.”

“If this rare beauty makes your voyage more tolerable, why bestow this unto me?” Elizabeth’s hand gestured towards her necklace while she spoke.

“Once my gaze fell upon you Lady Elizabeth, even the most precious gems in the entire world, could not compare to your beauty. Since I will be bringing you back to England, I feel that your accompaniment is the most exquisite find I’ve had the pleasure of obtaining.”

Upon William’s words, a furrow marred Elizabeth’s brow. Her disdain from his comment filled her features and words as she spoke,

“Your Grace, I am not yours to do as you will. I shall not be cataloged with your other procurements. If you will excuse me, I must take leave.” Prior to her turning, William’s voice stilled her movements,

“Lady Elizabeth, please. I feel that each time I’m in your presence; I speak or act in a manner you find offensive. It is not my intension. Far be it so.”

William’s soft, pleading words struck deeply within Elizabeth. Despite how often his words did offend her, she could tell by his expression, he did not mean to cause her distress. After several moments of his sincere gaze meeting hers, she spoke,

“I too must apologize. You are only attempting to smooth over ill actions and words, which I seem to trigger even more.”

“If I may be so bold to state Lady Elizabeth, I am but a man who has always found comfort in words. It seems I forget myself when I am in your presence. Which, you have bared witness to, many times. In all my years, I have never had the pleasure to encounter such an intriguing and exquisite woman. I feel as if I am a young man with no knowledge of speech, instead of a man of thirty years.”

“Your Grace, since your arrival, each of us has shared in a fierce battle of words. At this moment, I feel we should start anew. I would like to extend a white flag, in a show of good faith.”

Elizabeth extracted an intricately embroidered handkerchief, from the folds of her dress. With a teasing smile adorning her lips, she handed it to William, as she spoke,

“Please do not construe this as surrender.”

William gently extracted the swatch of fabric from her hand. His heart swelled with this simple act. As he addressed her, a mirrored smile met hers,

“Oh course Lady Elizabeth. Please understand, conquering you was never my intension. I only want to reside peacefully within your good graces.”

“If I may say, you have been the most formidable opponent,” Elizabeth’s voice remained teasing upon her declaration. William’s voice softened as he responded,

“Lady Elizabeth, from this moment on, I hope you see me in a different light, no longer an opponent.”

“As you wish, Your Grace.”

Upon Elizabeth’s words, a stable hand approached and spoke after his bow,

“Your Grace, Lord Summers is awaiting your attendance. Your steed is prepared for your ride.”

“Thank you. Please inform Lord Summers, I will be but a moment.”

“Yes, Your Grace.” Upon his words, the stable hand bowed and took leave.

Once the stable hand moved slightly away from the pair, William’s soothing, voice addressed Elizabeth,

“My presence is sequestered, My Lady. Begrudgingly, I must take leave from you.”

William lowered himself with a bow then returned to full height. Elizabeth proceeded with a curtsey and raised her hand toward him. William’s gaze remained fixed upon Elizabeth’s, while he placed a lingering, tender kiss upon her hand. Once his lips moved from her skin, his gaze remained upon hers as he spoke,

“My Lady. Until this Eve, I will be counting the moments.”

“Your Grace, this Eve."

William took leave of Elizabeth with gradual strides, as he followed the direction of the stable hand. While he walked, he brought her handkerchief to his nose, breathing deeply. Utter contentment filled his features, from the sweet aroma enmeshed in the fabric, rose water, lavender and her pure essence.
Elizabeth gaze followed Sir William until he disappeared from sight. Leisurely she walked towards a stone bench among the spring flowers. As she sat upon the bench, her thoughts filled with Sir William, all the while her fingertips tenderly stroked the necklace upon her throat.


**** ****


William did not see Elizabeth until that evening. As he entered within the banquet hall, he noticed her immediately. As the night before, she sat beside her mother; dressed in stunning crimson, highlighting his gift beautifully. The elation that filled William from earlier, still lingered. Once he noted his necklace upon her throat, it soared once more.

William’s gaze remained upon Elizabeth, while both women continued to exchange conversation in low tones. Once William sat, the dinner commenced.

As last Eve, Lord Summers spared no expense, the extravagant feast brought forward. During the meal, Elizabeth and William traded lingering glances and demure smiles.

Upon completion of the third course, William gently tapped his knife upon his goblet. The slight vibration from the silver caused the other diners to look toward him. He stood, slightly raising his cup, while he addressed the others,

“If I may, I would like to propose a toast to the Lord and Lady of this manor.” With his words, William raised his goblet higher, first toward Lord Summers then toward Lady Summers. Each raised their goblet in return. Once each drank in toast, William spoke once more,

“If it pleases each of you, sleep had eluded me last Eve. During that time, I had composed a ballad that I would like to present to all of you.”

Upon Lord Summers’ slight nod, William rounded the table. Within in moments, he stood before the musicians, which were now silent. William motioned towards the lute that one young man held. Gently, he took the instrument. William then sat upon a chair, which the young man vacated, and he placed the lute upon his thigh. William strummed the strings several times, before his deep baritone voice rang out,

Early one morning,
Just as the sun was rising,
I heard a maid sing,
In the valley below.

Oh, don't deceive me,
Oh, never leave me,
How could you use
A poor maiden so?

Thus sang the poor maiden,
Her sorrows bewailing,
Thus sang the poor maid,
In the valley below.

Oh, don't deceive me,
Oh, never leave me,
How could you use
A poor maiden so?


Once the last chord rang out, each person stood, especially Elizabeth, and clapped with enthusiasm for William’s ballad. With a slight bow and a warm smile upon his lips, William returned to his seat. For the rest of the Eve, William and Elizabeth’s gazes increased and lingered longer than before.






Chapter End Notes:
I know that Early One Morning was written by William Chapelle in 1855-1859, well after this time, but this will be one of the liberties that I stated I was going to take in the story. However, as a side note, it is believed that this song came from Henry Howard’s poetry called THE FORSAKEN LOVER DESCRIBETH AND
FORSAKETH LOVE. http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/oloathsome.htm Now, Henry Howard lived from 1517-1547. He had nobility on both sides of his family and was raised at Windsor Castle with Henry VIII illegitimate son Henry Fitzroy. He is also first cousin with Anne Boleyn. He, Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn traveled to France at one time also. So, I actually didn’t take too much of a liberty…did I?