Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy! Thanks to Sanityfair for being my beta!!! Luv ya!
Elizabeth spent the rest of the day keeping her mother company in the solace of her darkened room, due to her illness. Elizabeth’s hushed tones and comforting whispers were the only noises that filled the chamber as she tenderly stroked a cool cloth upon her mother’s brow. A servant entered quietly to light the candles, signaling the end of the day. Upon her departure, Lady Summers finally spoke with a soft whisper,

“My sweet child, I would like you to prepare for dinner. You have been in this gloomy chamber all day. Please, enjoy the feast that took a full day to prepare.”

“Mother, I do not feel it is proper for me to leave you in such a state. Especially, since I was the cause. The servants can bring our dinner here. I will stay until your mind is at rest,” Elizabeth responded, tears rimming her eyes.

“No, my sweet Elizabeth, you were by no means the cause. I desired to leave these walls, your words only added to my conviction. Your place is with our guest. Your father would take great offense if neither Summers’ woman were present. Now go, time grows short.”

Conflicted thoughts warred within Elizabeth’s mind. She wanted to abide her mother’s instruction, but the pain that filled her mother’s eyes, drew her closer. To ease her daughter’s conflicting thoughts, written clearly upon her face, Lady Summer’s spoke once more with tenderness,

“Please Elizabeth, to witness the conflict I know races through your mind, causes my heart to weep. I will be fine. I need to rest a little further. Morrow, I will be on the mend, and we can enjoy our final day together.”

Hearing her mother’s words, the tears that hovered upon her lids fell to her cheeks. Mirrored tears welled within Lady Summers’ eyes. She raised her hand, and with gentle sweeps of her fingers, cleared away Elizabeth’s tears.

“Cry not for your future, nor for our separation. Your journey on life’s path has just begun. Excitement should fill your mind, not grief. Do not look upon this as an ending, but a beginning. No amount of lands or seas can lessen the love and connection you and I feel for one another. I love you my sweet Elizabeth, with all my being. Now please, clear your tears and attend the feast that was prepared. Enjoy the delectable foods, wine and music. Morrow I will be well, and we will enjoy it together.”

Elizabeth leaned forward and gently hugged her mother. Once she placed a tender kiss upon her brow, she begrudgingly pulled away. Elizabeth rounded the bed, before her mother’s weakened voice echoed within the room,


“Yes mother, please feel well. I will visit you before I retire for the evening,” Elizabeth responded with a hushed tone.

“No need daughter. I hope by then, sleep will have come. Good eve, I love you,” Lady Summers said.

“I love you, mother, till morn.” Upon her reply, Elizabeth quietly exited the chamber. Within moments, she found one of the servants and instructed them of her mother’s request.

Not soon after Elizabeth left, a servant arrived within Lady Summers’ chamber. She quietly approached the bed, where her mistress lay unmoving. With softened speech, she addressed the ailing woman,

“I am here Lady Summers’. Please instruct me how I can aid in your comfort.” Lady Summers’ open her eyes slowly. A grimace of pain flickered across her features, before she spoke,


“Yes, Jane, this message must be given to Lord Summers’ in the highest secrecy. Not a word must reach Lady Elizabeth’s nor the Duke’s ears.”

“Yes, my Lady,” Jane responded with a slight nod of acceptance.

“Instruct Lord Summers, that I will not be attending the feast this Eve. Explain that I require the doctor, and I will finally entertain his suggestions. I will allow the doctor to bleed away the evil spirits, which lurk within my body. Stress to Lord Summers, that despite my agreement, the doctor is not to be sequestered until Elizabeth has begun her journey. Morrow I will take my place by his and my daughter’s side, ailment notwithstanding.”

“Yes Lady Summers, I will do your bidding. May I inquire, before the doctor arrives, is there any solace that I may be able to offer?”

“No Jane, only silence is requested. Now please, take leave,” Lady Summers’ responded, closing her tired eyes. Jane left as silently as she entered.


**** ****


Worry creased Elizabeth’s brow while she walked towards her chambers. Once she passed over the threshold, Elizabeth heard the chatter of her three servants as they prepared her gown for the evening.

The servant’s voices silenced, upon Lady Elizabeth’s entrance. With a smile that teased her lips, Elizabeth commented,

“Do I dare to ask what this incessant prattling is about?”

“Lady Elizabeth, with one of us accompanying you to England, we are just excitable that is all,” Mary stated with a barely contained smile.

“Ah, so this is the topic of the hen house. Well, let it be known that I enlisted my mother’s knowledge for the standard procedure for a Lady in Waiting and her attendants. I was instructed it would be considered a faux pas, for a Lady in Waiting to have three servants of her own. Only one will be accompanying me on my journey. I have made my choice, which was a difficult one to make. Anne, you will accompany me to England. We are leaving a day after morrow, at sunrise. The trip will be lengthy and…” Before she finished, trills of delight filled the room. Anne quickly found herself in the midst of congratulations and hugs from the other two girls.

“I see that my announcement has brought pleasure, not distress, which pleases me,” Elizabeth stated with shared happiness. Her attendants were the closest thing she had to friends, so their happiness was hers also.
“Pardon us for our outbursts Lady Elizabeth, this is just joyous news that we all found difficulty in containing ourselves.” Anne beamed with joy.

“Tis fine, no apologies needed. Now, I am expected for dinner. Ladies…” with a playful clap of her hands, the three servants began their task of preparing Elizabeth for dinner. Smiles remained upon each of their faces.


**** ****

As the servants were placing the finishing touches upon Elizabeth’s golden tresses, an unexpected knock sounded from her chamber’s door. Her heart fluttered wildly within her chest, while she pictured the man standing on the other side, William. Regardless of formalities, Elizabeth rose from her vanity and answered the door herself. Angelic features of sapphire eyes, sculpted cheekbones and full sensual lips, greeted her.


“Lady Elizabeth.” William’s words danced along every nerve ending within her body. In an instant, her body craved him; his demanding lips upon hers, his tender hands upon her flesh. These foreign yearnings pulsed throughout her being, causing these once dominant desires to awaken.

Elizabeth willed him to pull her into his arms and bestow the pleasure he had given her in the garden. She wished for the world to fall away and all that would remain was they. His name hovered upon her lips. Before she could call to him, her father’s voice rang through the manor’s halls,

“Your Grace,” Lord Summers’ approached him, not noticing his daughter’s presence.

“Lord Summers,” William stated curtly, gaze still fixed upon Elizabeth. Lord Summers’ gaze followed his and landed upon her.

“Good Eve, Elizabeth.”

“Father,” Elizabeth spoke, her tone mirroring William’s. Lord Summers’ gaze flickered quickly from his daughter, to fall upon the Duke once more.

“I appreciate Your Grace’s thoughtfulness in escorting my daughter to dinner. With her mother being ill and my thoughts filled with concern, my mind has been lost and forgetful.”

Elizabeth's jaw tensed with the lies her father was speaking. She wanted to disclose them to William. Speak the truth, which was far from her father’s words. He had not seen nor inquired about her mother, since he escorted her inside this morn. His words and concern were only for show.

William felt Elizabeth’s anger roll off her in waves. The lethal gaze, she beheld her father, not long ago, was for him as well. Despite the idleness of her tongue, he knew she was enraged and Lord Summers’ words were the cause.

Ire roared within William, toward Lord Summers’. Regardless of his station, this man was a scoundrel. He used his family as pawns; a sickly wife and a daughter he was willing to brand as a common mistress to the King, in an attempt to gain respect. In which William held none for the likes of him. Before his temper flared beyond his mind, William ended the conversation. He held his bent left arm toward Elizabeth. With two words, he encouraged her to join him.

“Shall we?” Elizabeth’s gaze softened considerably, when it fell upon him. The sweetest smile graced her lips.

“We shall.”

Elizabeth weaved her petite hand under William’s extended arm placing it upon his forearm. Through two layers of fabrics, his flesh burned from her mere touch. Despite the boldness of the gesture, he placed his right hand upon hers. His touch ignited renewed desire. Without further acknowledgement of Lord Summers, the pair headed toward the banquet hall.

A confused gaze fell upon the retreating pair. Lord Summers attempted to keep up with the Duke and his daughter, to no avail. Once he reached His Grace’s right side, the Duke’s angry glare fell upon him. Without words, Lord Summers felt his presence was not welcome. Lord Summers stopped his movements until they were several steps ahead, before he resumed his own solitary pace.

The three sat together during the feast. Lord Summers at the head of the table, William and Elizabeth flanked either side. Throughout dinner, William and Elizabeth’s conversation remained steady, discussing numerous stimulating topics: literature, the arts, and fine wines. Lord Summers was never welcomed nor did he enter the flow of conversation.

Once the meal concluded, William announced that he would escort Elizabeth to her chambers. Each bid Lord Summers a good eve. Prior to his exit, William clearly expressed the importance that Lord Summers would be informing him of Lady Summers’ condition, come the morn. Neither waited for his response, they departed from the banquet hall.
William and Elizabeth strolled down the hall, once more joined. Comfortable silence filled the air between them, until Elizabeth spoke,

“William, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart, the care you have shown towards my mother. I fear that the years of my father’s emotional neglect has caused great strain to her well-being. As far as my memory recalls, I have been her constant companion. I worry that once I leave in a day’s time, she will be sentenced to a life of solitude,” Elizabeth’s voice waned, until her last words were mere whispers.

“Sweetheart, do not thank me for something that I feel in my heart is true. Your mother is a majestic creature, who deserves to be worshiped not conquered. I fear that I cannot meddle in affairs of marriage, but I do vow that I will regularly question Lord Summers of your mother’s condition, not only prior to, but following, our departure. I encourage you to question your mother of her well-being, in the morn and through letters. Together, we will know the truth of Lord Summers’ words. If they prove to be false, as they were this eve, punishment for his lies will be swift. Despite him being Lord and Master of this home, his station is below mine. Morrow I will remind him of his place and my thoughts of those that choose to trespass against me.”Once they noticed that they had reached her chamber door, their movements stopped. They faced one another. William’s hand gently laid upon her cheek, as his words continued, “I know his attention toward your mother will not be true and honest, but she will be cared for, far more than she is now.”

Elizabeth’s tears spilled forward. Several drops trickled down her cheeks, landing upon his hand and the emeralds that adorned her neck. His heart broke with the sight before him. Tenderly, he placed a kiss upon her lips. In an instant, their kiss heated. The once contained passion, unleashed.

His arms pulled her closer, heaving chests met. Mouths feasted, while tongues explored, delved and tasted. After several heavenly moments, William’s lips released hers, to descend the column of her throat. Instantly, Elizabeth’s hands encircled his neck. Her fingers grasped his locks, as she urged his exploration. Her mews of pleasure filled the air, which encouraged the increased strokes of his tongue and nips upon her flesh.

“My greatest weakness...my greatest strength…my Elizabeth,”

William whispered against her flesh. He gradually removed his mouth from her throat. He pulled back slightly, his heated gaze fixed upon her bee-stung lips. He placed another gentle kiss upon them and then pulled away. Her lids fluttered upon his words and ministrations. Her unfocused gaze beheld his. William’s deep voice penetrated her hazy mind,

“My sweetheart, take leave of me. I fear that the reins upon my control are waning.”

“As mine, William, good eve." Upon her words, Elizabeth placed a chaste kiss to his lips, and gradually entered her chambers. He could sense her hesitation to leave. He was himself at war with her departure.

The sound of the latch, pulled William from his thoughts briefly enough to turn and leave. Promises of pleasure-filled dreams of Elizabeth, was the only consolation to returning to his chambers…alone.




Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are loved and cherished! It was common that doctors would bleed their patients to remedy ailments.