Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to [info]dawnofme for the lovely and inspiring banner, thanks to [info]spuffy_wonder for the challenge and big thanks to [info]sanityfair1 for all her help beta-reading. *Hugs* As always, all mistakes are my own and I still do not own Whedon's characters and use them only for fun.
Buffy watched the fire with a serious expression. “We should have done this quicker-first thing. Maybe they would have seen it before they got too far away.”

Spike nodded. “Maybe, but it took us a while to get it this big; it still might not have been fast enough.”

“Still, we should have tried.”

“Sorry, pet. It’s my first time being forgotten on an island.” He gave her a grin. “I promise I’ll do better next time.”

“I didn’t mean it like that. I was just thinking.”

“I know. Just wanted to see you smile.”

She gave him a quick smile before getting back to business. “Okay. We have shelter.” She pointed to the pavilion. “And we have fire. What do we do next?”

“They left the ice and the barrels they used as coolers, so we have fresh water, or we will when it melts.” He shrugged. “I think that’s all we can do until morning.” He sat down next to the fire. “Sit with me.”

Buffy sat down beside him. “I feel like we should be doing something.”

“We can look for food in the morning, but until the sun comes up…this is it.”

“Right.”

“Maybe, you should sit closer. You know, conserve body heat.”

Buffy laughed. “It’s like eighty degrees. I don’t think freezing is a concern right away.”

He sighed and reached for her anyway. Tugging her on to his lap, he gave her a squeeze. “Would you just sit with me?”

Giggling at his exasperated tone, Buffy nodded before resting her head against his chest. She watched the fire and tried not to read too much, into his cuddling. Really, she figured, they barely even knew each other anymore. He’d said that he’d wanted her four years ago. That didn’t mean he still did. “William?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you…seeing anyone? You know someone special.”

His arms tightened around her. “No, love. I am not.”

“Oh.” She smiled and kept watching the fire.

“Buffy?”

“Yes?”

“Are you seeing someone special?” He was fairly certain she wasn’t, she was on vacation by herself, but his breath still caught in his chest while he awaited her answer.

“Nope.”

“Oh.” The possibility that he could get another chance, the idea that he might kiss her, sent his thoughts and pulse racing.

“Yeah, so…”

“What?” He knew he sounded too eager, but he didn’t care.

Buffy gave a nervous giggle. “This is getting silly. I mean just because we’re here and neither of us is seeing someone that doesn’t mean—w”

“Do you want me to kiss you?”

She closed her eyes and swallowed hard. “Yes.”

Spike turned them both and lifted her chin so he could see her eyes. He laughed breathlessly as he rubbed his thumb across her cheek. “I’m not usually so nervous about this.” Leaning in, he brought his lips down against hers for a soft kiss.

Wrapping her arms around his neck, Buffy sighed and returned the kiss with the kind of hunger that comes from five years of wanting.

He moaned when he felt her tongue swipe at his lip and slid his hand around to cup the back of her head. Holding her tightly against him, he plunged his tongue into her mouth.

Buffy gripped his shoulders and trembled from a mix of nerves and lust. “Is this crazy?” She pulled back just enough to see his eyes.

Sighing, Spike rubbed his cheek against hers. “Sure, love. It’s mad. Does that matter?”

She shrugged. “Shouldn’t it?”

“I played this with my head last time round and we both ended up hurt. I’m trying something different this time.”

Her hands shook on his shoulders. “You are?”

He kissed her forehead. “I am.” He pulled her around so that her back rested against his chest and wrapped his arms around her again.

Buffy let her head rest on his shoulder. “Care to elaborate?”

“And warn you? I think not.”

She laughed. “This whole thing is surreal.”

He rubbed his hands up and down her arms and dropped a row of kisses along her shoulder. “You smell delicious, like coconut.”

“That would be the tanning oil. So, do you just live on the ship?”

Spike sighed. He’d wondered how long it would take before she decided that a musician that worked just enough to pay the bills was not the kind of guy she wanted to be with. He proceeded cautiously. “We’ve been doing the cruise gig for one week a month for about six months. The rest of the time, I’m at my place in LA. We play regularly at a couple of bars in the city-end up with maybe, six nights. We’re set to lay down a few tracks next week; it’ll be our first real album. We’re planning a party and all, but, um, yeah; we’re not all that successful. When things get really tight I pick up a day or two subbing at one of the high schools.”

Buffy laid her hand over his. “I didn’t mean it like that. I was just wondering how hard it would be to see you. I’m living in Sunnydale; it’s not too far south of LA. It would probably be too much driving for weeknights, but maybe I could come see you play sometime on a Friday or a Saturday.”

“I’ll get a place closer to you. I can always crash with one of the guys if we have a late gig in the city.”

She turned to look at him in surprise. “Doesn’t that seem…I mean we barely know each other anymore, maybe we should...”

His mouth came down on hers, hard and demanding. He kissed her until she trembled and clutched at his shirt. “All or nothing, love, we either give this a go, a real honest to goodness full-in go, or we stop right now. You already know my vote. I want you. I’ve always wanted you.”

Buffy’s bottom lip shook. It was a fantasy. As much as she had thought about him, as much as it had hurt thinking he hadn’t wanted her, she had never really considered the possibility of them, again. She wasn’t sure she could think of him as anything other than a missed chance or a lost dream. She studied his handsome face; he looked the same as he did in her memories, only now he was watching her with pleading eyes. He was just the sensitive soul she had always suspected underneath all the bravado. He looked scared. She reached up to caress the side of his face. “I was in love with you.”

His eyes widened and he swallowed hard. “And now? Could you…feel that way again?” His head tilted to the side as he watched her.

She wasn’t so sure that she had ever stopped, but she couldn’t just say that. She shrugged. “Maybe.”

Spike pulled her close for another kiss. “I’d give a lot for a nice big bed right about now.”

Pulling away, Buffy gave him a sheepish look. “I’m crushing you, aren’t I?”

“Bollocks, you’re tiny.” He pulled her back. “Just want to make love to my girl where she’s all comfy.”

Buffy laughed softly. “Feeling awfully sure of yourself, aren’t you? What makes you think I’m giving it up to you tonight?”

He smirked and leaned close to her ear. “Let’s just say I plan to be very persuasive.”

“You’re forgetting how good I am at resisting your charms,” she replied with a grin.
“Trust me, love. You’ve never been tested.”


Chapter End Notes:
review?