Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



I own nothing of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, I am making no money from this, only the plot is mine.

Prologue

"Well shit."

That was the last coherent thought to go through Buffy's mind as she felt the toxin from the demon's stinger work its way into her brain.

The Slayer could feel her mind shatter as the poison gripped her mind like a fist, squeezing tighter and tighter.

She may have screamed from the pain but Buffy was beyond the point of being fully able to comprehend her actions.

*****

Chapter 1

Spike turned away from the remains of the demon that had hurt his Slayer when he heard the girl he loved cry out in pain.

If any human being in the area were watching they would not have been able to actually see Spike move, at most they would have registered a black and platinum blonde blur as the master vampire moved faster than he had ever tried to do in all of his one hundred and twenty years. One moment he was standing over his latest demon victim, the next he was across the street with Buffy tightly held in his arms.

"Come on, come back to me luv," he gently cooed to the girl he loved laying unconscious in his arms. "Come on Buffy, I'm gonna take you back home and get you nice and fixed up."

He lifted the petite blonde and started to walk in the direction of his crypt. After taking a few steps he thought better of that idea and instead turned in the direction of the Summers house.

*****

"NIBBLET! GET YOUR LITTLE ARSE DOWN HERE AND HELP ME WITH BIG SIS!" Spike bellowed from the bottom of the stairs after depositing Buffy on the couch. 'Good thing that sodding invite spell went out the window,' he thought to himself as he waited for the youngest Summers girl to come down and help him deal with Buffy.

"Spike? What's happened now? Did you piss Buffy off?" It was at this point that she noticed the form of her sister draped over the couch.

She couldn't stop images of her mother lying dead on the same couch after the fatal brain haemorrhage and of Buffy herself dead at the foot of Glory's tower from rushing through her mind.

She looked at Spike, questioning him with here eyes as to the condition of the sister that she had already seen dead one too many times.

Spike saw the look in Dawn's eyes and understood what she was thinking, the same thoughts had flashed through his brain when he saw Buffy fall.

"She's alive Bit, just can't get her to wake up is all."

The look of panic fell from Dawn's face to be replaced by worry as she heard the last part of what spike had said.

"What do you mean you can't get her to wake up?" She moved over to stand by the couch next to Spike.

"Just that, cant wake 'er up, tried shaking her and talkin' to her but she won't wake up. Heartbeat and breathin's OK though."

Just then the Slayer started to stir. Dawn knelt over her, concern written over her young features.

Buffy slowly opened her eyes and smiled when she saw her sister.

"Dawn."

"Yes Buffy."

"Dawn, so pretty." Buffy spoke with a childlike innocence as she reached up and stroked Dawn's face.

Dawn again looked to Spike with questioning eyes and he had no choice but to answer with a shake of his head to indicate that he too had no idea why Buffy was acting this way. Two questions passed through both their minds as they watched Buffy start to play with the end of her shirt.

'What is wrong? How can we fix it?'

Chapter 2

Spike wore a concerned look upon his face as he looked down on Buffy, who seemed to be having a great time playing with Dawn's hair. He really had no idea what had caused this change in the Slayer and he had even less of a clue as to how to get her back to normal. It was then that he noticed it was near sunrise.

"Why don't you try to get Buffy to bed Bit, I'm gonna spend the day here, help you look after her but its late and she's probably tired."

"What about school and Buffy's work?"

"I'll take care of the Double meat and you are staying home to help with Buffy."

Dawn seemed OK with this and went to help Buffy up the stairs and into bed, leaving Spike alone in the living room. Unable to stand still he started pacing the length of the room, only stopping to turn when he was about to his a wall. He stopped when he heard Dawn coming back downstairs.

"Get her to bed all right Bit?" He asked turning to face her. He didn't expect to see Buffy standing behind Dawn, looking tired and sheepish.

"She won't go to bed Spike, she wants you there with her." Dawn turned her head to look at here sister.

"Spike come? Spike make me feel better." Buffy spoke quietly, as if afraid Spike would mock her for asking.

The vampire moved across the room and cupped the Slayer's cheek, bringing her face up so he could meet her eyes.

"Of course I will pet."

These few words both reassured and pleased Buffy. Her face broke out in a wide smile and she let out a small "Yay!"

Spike then stared to lead Buffy back up the stairs, turning to address Dawn.

"You get some sleep Nibblet, I'll look after big sis."

Dawn nodded and followed them up stairs and went into her own room. Spike was glad that Dawn hadn't tried to argue about him taking care of Buffy, because he would take care of her, even if she never recovered he would stay by her and look after her.

*****

Once inside her room Dawn sat down on her bed and thought about what was happening to Buffy. What had caused it? What had it done to her? Would it last forever?

She reached up and wiped away the tears that had started to fall. There was nothing she could do tonight, she may as well get some rest so she would be able to help tomorrow.

Eventually she cried herself to sleep.

*****

Spike lead Buffy into her room. Once he got her into the room he removed his T-shirt and boots, leaving only his jeans on. He sat Buffy down on her bed while he searched through her draws for something for her to wear. Eventually he found a pair of pyjamas he decided would do and handed them to Buffy.

"Put those on now luv and we can get some sleep." He turned his back to allow her some privacy, he wasn't going to use her current condition to get a free peep show.

When he turned back he saw Buffy sat in the same place she was put in staring down at the pyjamas. 'Oh bloody hell,' he thought 'so much for givin her some privacy.' He walked up to Buffy and lifted her to her feet.

"It's OK luv, just got to get you into these then we can get you into bed." He motioned for her to lift her arms and when he complied he lifted her top off over her head. He kept his eyes locked with hers to avoid looking down at her exposed breasts. He quickly slipped the pyjama top over her head and made sure her arms went into the sleeves.

Next he undid the zipper of the pants she was wearing and pulled them down her legs, along with her underwear. He gently raised first her right leg then her left to he could remove the pants and slip the pyjama bottoms onto her. He pulled the bottoms up as he stood and looked at her face.

Buffy just stood there and let him undress and redress her, never showing any sign of embarrassment at Spike's actions. She looked into his eyes and gave him another one of her wide innocent smiles.

Spike responded with a smile of his own as he carefully placed Buffy down onto her bed and got in next to her. He pulled the covers up to cover them both. He heard her quiet voice a few minutes later.

"Spike?"

"Yes luv?"

"You wont leave? Leave me alone?"

"No luv, I'll be here as long as you want me to be."

Buffy smiled at this, reassured that he wouldn't leave her alone, and went to sleep.

Chapter 3

Spike was the first to wake and quickly sensed that it was around noon. Then he looked at the window in Buffy's room and said a silent thanks to whomever had bought Buffy such thick dark curtains, being woken to find a flaming Spike next to her would not help Buffy. It wouldn't do him much good either.

Spike kept as still as possible so as to not wake the sleeping Slayer cuddled up next to him. In their relationship he had very few opportunities to sit with her like this. He quickly pushed all thoughts of his prior relationship with Buffy out of his mind. This was not Buffy the Slayer, or even the Buffy who was broken from being pulled out from heaven by her friends, this was an innocent childlike Buffy who wanted and needed his help. And he swore that he would stop at nothing to give her that help.

The real problem would be convincing her friends to let him.

*****

Buffy woke feeling safe. She opened her eyes and smiled as she saw Spike next to her, looking at her.

"Mmm, feel good. Happy."

It broke Spike's unbeating heart to hear to usually articulate and quick- witted Slayer reduced to being barely able to string three words together. At least she was smiling and said she was happy, he couldn't stand the thought of her being miserable.

"Hello luv, glad to hear you're happy." He gave her a reassuring smile. "I'm just going to go get Dawn so she can help you get dressed." At his words a look of panic came across Buffy's face and she clung onto Spike with all her strength, causing Spike to wince.

"No, don't leave me," she seemed to be struggling to find the words, her voice still at the now familiar whisper. "I'll be good."

Spike was shocked at her words.

"Listen to me Buffy, I'm only going down the hall to get Dawn, and I'll be right outside the door while you get dressed. I'm not gonna leave you and you don't need to do anything to make me stay. You have not been bad, I'm not leaving you," he reiterated, and was glad to feel her relax her grip.

"Coming back?"

"Yes luv, I'll be right back." He smiled and slipped from the bed, retrieving his T-shirt and pulling it on. When he got outside the door he leaned back against the frame and let a single tear fall down his face.

He quickly wiped it away. 'Gotta be strong for Buffy and Nibblet, can’t let them see you like this' he thought to himself and walked down the hall to Dawn's room.

*****

Dawn answered her door the third time Spike knocked, after pulling on a pair of jeans and a T-shirt.

"What's up? Is Buffy OK?"

"Yeah Bit, but she needs a hand getting dressed."

"Oh? And how exactly did she get undressed last night?" She asked, raising one eyebrow, much like Spike had been known to do on many occasions.

Spike gave her a look that clearly said 'Not now' and she dropped the eyebrow.

"Can you be quick Nib? She doesn't want to be left alone." Dawn moved past him in the hall and went to help Buffy.

*****

Inside the bedroom Buffy was anxious. She couldn't have actually said that she was, that was beyond her, but she knew she didn't feel right. She wanted Spike to be there with her. Or maybe Dawn. Dawn was pretty.

She turned and smiled when Dawn walked in.

"Hi Buffy," dawn said, trying to put as much cheerfulness into her voice as possible. "Want to get dressed now?"

Buffy nodded and Dawn helped her stand up. They walked over to the closet where Buffy pulled out some black leather pants and a white top.

"You want to wear these Buffy?" Dawn asked.

"Spike like these?" She answered Dawn's question with her own. When Dawn nodded she smiled and held the clothes out for Dawn. Dawn gave a little grin at the implications of Buffy wanting to look nice for Spike, then remembered that she had to help her sister dress and started to do so.

When Buffy was fully dressed she stood in front of her mirror looking at herself. She reached a hand forward and was surprised when she encountered the glass.

"Ready Buffy?" Dawn asked her. Buffy smiled and nodded.

"Are you sure you're not the 'bot?" asked Dawn, not used to seeing her sister smile so often.

The question seemed to confuse Buffy and she got a worried look on her face when she couldn't understand what Dawn was talking about.

"Shhh, hey now, forget I said anything," Dawn said, trying to soothe her sister. It seemed to work as the smile returned so she lead Buffy to the door. Buffy hesitated at the door, as if unsure whether or not she wanted to go out. Dawn gently coaxed her out of her room.

Buffy wanted to stay in the nice room, afraid that when she went out Spike would be gone and then Dawn would leave her too. Buffy stepped out into the hallway, scanning left and right. When she saw Spike at the end of the hall she ran to him and gripped his hand, giving him a huge smile.

*****

Spike and Dawn had taken Buffy downstairs and she was currently occupied watching cartoons on TV. Dawn and Spike stood behind the couch talking quietly.

"What can we do Spike?"

"Not sure Bit, first you make her some food, nothing messy like cereal, a nice bit of toast. Question is who can help us? Whelp will just try to take her away, Reds with the whelp for the week so that leaves her out, Watchers in good old England, demon girl may help but Buffy needs sensitivity now - not Anya's strongest point. That just leaves Glinda which is fine by me. What say you Bit?"

"Yeah, Tara will help. You call her while I make lunch."

Chapter 4

"Yeah Glinda, come over right away and bring your bag of tricks."

Spike put the phone down after explaining to Tara Buffy's current mental state. He couldn't, however, tell her exactly what had happened to Buffy. It wasn't hard to figure out that the demon had done something to her, but what was another matter altogether.

"Tara's coming over?" Dawn asked from in the kitchen. Spike had phoned both Buffy's work and Dawn's school to arrange time off for both sisters. He had managed to get Buffy the next week off but had only been able to get the school to give Dawn two days off due to her 'illness'. Today was Sunday so that gave Dawn three days where she would be able to help but then she would have to go back to school. Spike was hoping that by then this would be sorted out and Buffy would be back to normal.

"Yeah Bit, gonna be here in half an hour or so. How's the food coming on?" Spike crossed the living room and sat down next to Buffy who was watching cartoons on the TV. She leaned into him but never took her eyes off the screen.

"Should be ready any minute. I made pancakes for me and Buffy and heated you up some blood we had in the fridge."

"You sure she'll be OK with pancakes?"

"She should be, they're not that difficult to eat."

"Fine." He turned back to Buffy. "You hear that luv, Dawn's made you some nummy pancakes."

Buffy turned from watching the TV to look at Spike. She gave him a shy smile.

"Pancakes nice."

"That they are luv. You going to eat them all up?"

Buffy nodded and Spike lead her into the kitchen where Dawn was arranging the food she had prepared onto two plates ready to be eaten. She handed Spike a mug of warmed pig's blood.

"Thanks Bit, was getting ready for that." Buffy and Dawn sat at the counter and Dawn helped Buffy to eat her pancakes. When she was about halfway through her pile, Buffy turned and offered her full fork to Spike.

"No luv, I've got mine here," he held up his mug. "You eat that up." Buffy went back to eating her food.

After they finished all the food (or blood), Dawn started to wash the dishes.

"Buffy can you pass me your plate?"

Just as Buffy was lifting her plate to take to Dawn the doorbell rang, startling her causing Buffy to drop the plate onto the floor where it smashed. Buffy instantly started crying, crouching in a ball on the floor against the cupboards.

'Oh bloody hell!' thought Spike. "Nibblet, you answer the door, probably be Tara, I'll sort Buffy out."

Dawn left the kitchen to answer the front door while Spike knelt down next to the crying Buffy.

"Hey, come on luv, no need to cry."

Buffy refused to stop crying and mumbled something that not even Spike's sharp hearing could pick up.

"What was that Buffy?"

"Spike mad." This shocked Spike. Buffy was worried that she had upset him?

"No luv, I'm not mad." Buffy looked at him.

"Not mad?"

"You could smash every plate in this house and I wouldn't be angry at you pet." This caused the smile that was becoming a permanent feature on Buffy's face to return. "Come on then, lets dry you off and we can go see Tara." Spike used the bottom of his T-shirt to wipe the tears off Buffy's face.

Spike helped Buffy to stand and they made their way into the living room where Dawn was waiting with Tara.

Chapter 5

"Hello Buffy, do you remember me?" Buffy nodded to Tara's gentle words. "Good, I'm just going to try to find out what's wrong with you, OK?" Again Buffy nodded her understanding.

Tara had set up the components of a spell to detect what had happened to Buffy while Spike had been calming the Slayer down in the kitchen. She sat Buffy down in the middle of a circle she had drawn on the floor using a mixture of magical sands and herbs and started to chant in Latin. After a few moments a thin cloud of smoke started to encompass Buffy. The smoke was mostly white but turned a red colour over her arm. This told Tara what she needed to know.

"Whatever is wrong with her, it's not magical, the smoke would have turned blue if it was. It looks like that demon you mentioned did something to her arm, the red smoke means an injury and also possibly a poison. It looks like the demon stung her or maybe used a poisoned knife."

Spike was unused to hearing the formerly painfully shy witch say so much at one time. She certainly had come out of her shell since joining the Scoobies. Before he got into talking with Tara he wanted to make sure Buffy was looked after. He got her to stand and walk over to where dawn was on the couch and turned on the TV for Buffy to watch. He went back over to talk with Tara.

"No pet, I wasn't paying much attention to the bugger but I remember it didn't have any knives or swords on it."

"Then we're looking for a demon capable of stinging someone then. Do you know what type of demon it was?"

"No, never seen one of the gits before, couldn't tell you what they're called."

"Damn," Spike looked shocked at the uncharacteristic curse coming from Tara but said nothing. "I'll check the books for any stinging demons and you can look them over to see if our one is there." The blonde witch crossed the room to where Dawn and Buffy were sat.

"Bye Bye Buffy, I've got to go now."

The Slayer looked saddened at Tara's words but didn't say anything. Dawn got up and gave Tara a hug and said her goodbyes. As Tara was opening the door to leave Spike stopped her.

"Find it pet, help her." His voice was quiet and pleading, as was the look in his blue eyes. Tara's heart went out to the vampire.

"I'll try my best," she promised, and with that left the Summers house and started walking towards the Magic Box.

*****

Spike checked the clock on the wall and was surprised to see that with the time it took to get Buffy up and dressed, make and eat lunch, the incident with the plate and then the spell and talking with Tara it was only an hour until sunset.

"Why don't you order some take away Bit, I'll pay. Then I'll go do a quick patrol." Dawn went the phone to order for her and Buffy

Buffy's head snapped up at hearing that Spike wanted to patrol.

"Spike stay." For the first time since her encounter with the demon her voice held a fraction of her usual commanding tone usually used to direct the Scoobies when a battle was afoot.

"Luv I'm just going to do a quick patrol, don't want the nasties out there hurting people do we?"

The confidence Buffy had shown disappeared quickly as it had come and when she spoke her voice was back to being small and unsure.

"Spike want to leave?" She looked up at Spike with tears in her eyes.

Spike felt his heart shatter at the look she gave him. He wrapped his arms around the petite girl and whispered into her ear.

"Shh pet, I'll not go if you don't want me to." He turned her face so she was looking at him. "I'll not leave you Buffy."

Chapter 6

After the food for Buffy and Dawn had been delivered and eaten the three occupants of the Summers house sat down to watch the TV. Spike drank the last of the blood from the fridge.

Buffy sat between Spike and Dawn on the couch and watched the funny pictures on the screen. Dawn had said it was a Disney movie but Buffy didn't know what that meant so she ignored the comment and just watched the brightly coloured pictures.

*****

When the movie had finished Spike noticed that Buffy was looking tired so he lead her upstairs into her bedroom.

"Just wait here luv, just going to get Bit to come and help you get ready for bed." Spike was pleased that Buffy made no comment about him leaving her, she seemed to be realizing that he meant it when he said he would not leave her.

Spike left Buffy's room only to find Dawn stood at the top of the stairs.

"You want me to help her get ready?" The teenager asked.

"Yeah, I'll wait out here, fetch me when you're done."

"Will do," and with that she went into her sister's room.

*****

Spike really wanted to kill something, preferably something tough and nasty that didn't want to die. They were the best type of kill, the hard kill that he could take pride in accomplishing. It was for this very reason that he had sought out three slayers in his time when he had been told that to do so was suicide.

However in this situation he knew that killing things would not help with Buffy's condition. He felt totally helpless and didn't know how he would be able to cure the girl he loved. Of course he couldn't discuss his feelings with anyone, Buffy needed him to be strong and Dawn was counting on him to look after her and Buffy.

He would just have to keep putting on a brave face and try to help in any way he could, even if it was just being there to calm Buffy.

Spike's thought were interrupted by Dawn opening the door and exiting the bedroom.

"She's in bed, she wants you to stay with her."

"Was plannin' to anyway Bit," Spike replied.

"We will be able to fix her, won’t we?" Dawn looked at Spike with pleading eyes, it didn't matter if Spike thought Buffy could be cured, she just needed to hear it would happen, she needed the hope. Spike picked up on this.

"Yeah Nibblet, she'll be good as new in no time." With this he went into the bedroom and slipped into bed with Buffy for the night.

*****

The next morning went much the same as the previous morning. Spike left the bedroom and got Dawn to help Buffy dress then make something for both of them to eat.

The only drama of the morning was when Spike discovered he would have to go fetch some blood from the butchers. It took him half an hour to convince Buffy that he would be back as soon as he could.

Once Buffy let him go Spike made a dash for the sewer access outside the Summers house and quickly made his way to his favourite butchers to buy a weeks supply of blood.

*****

Spike slammed the front door shut after bursting into the house, his blanket only slightly smoking. He looked around the living room to see Dawn crouched over Buffy who was sat on the floor crying.

At hearing the door slam Buffy looked up to see Spike enter. She immediately launched herself at the vampire, hugging him.

When Buffy didn't let go of him, Spike looked at Dawn questioningly.

"She started crying just after you left. She kept saying 'Spike gone, Spike gone' over and over."

Spike turned his attention to the crying girl in his arms.

"Shh luv, look I'm back now. I said I'd be back didn't I?" He reached up and used his thumb to wipe away the tears from Buffy's cheeks.

Dawn saw this and put it with the other little gestures from both Buffy and Spike over the last two days but decided now was not the time to ask about it.

Spike managed to calm Buffy down again eventually and he sat her down to watch some more TV. He realized that he kept putting her in front of the TV but she seemed to enjoy watching the children's programmes so he didn't think it was doing any harm. He then went into the kitchen to put away his blood.

*****

It was nearly 5 o'clock when Tara rang the door bell. Spike let her in and saw that she was carrying a pile of books listing different types of demon.

"Find many stinging demons pet?" he asked the witch.

"Six." She proceeded to show Spike pictures of the demons she had identified in the books. Spike rejected the first five pictures. Then he looked at the sixth.

"That's the bugger, he's the one that got the Slayer." He noticed the worried look on Tara's face. "What is it?"

"That's a Glarghk Guhl Kashma'nik demon."

"And that's a bad thing?"

Tara paused before answering, not sure how to tell Spike the bad news.

"W-w-well, the books s-s-say that there is no c-c-cure for this," she started stuttering, as she always did when he was nervous or anxious. "N-n- not even her slayer healing w-w-will help."

Spike didn't know whether to cry or shout at the news. He chose shouting.

"WHAT! MAKE AN ANTIDOTE! USE YOUR POWERS!"

"There is n-n-no antidote! And healing spells w-w-wont work! I tried already!"

Spike visibly slumped at hearing this. Can't be cured? He felt tears fall from his eyes at the thought of Buffy being this way forever and did nothing to stop them.

Tara saw Spike start to weep and wrapped her arms around him to try and offer some comfort.

It was at this point that Dawn came to see what Tara had to say. She saw Spike crying and Tara holding him. Instantly she became very worried.

"What?"

Tara turned to face her, a sad look on her face.

Chapter 7

The next day when Dawn came into the bedroom to help Buffy dress, the Slayer noticed that Dawn wasn't smiling. Why wasn't Dawn smiling? Smiling meant you were happy. Dawn wasn't happy? Buffy decided to ask Dawn.

"Dawn not happy?" Dawn stopped moving and looked at Buffy. She forced a smile onto her face.

"Of course I'm happy Buffy." She couldn't say more for fear of breaking down and crying as she had done the night before when Tara gave her the news that shattered the last remaining hope she had that Buffy would get better.

Buffy felt better now she knew Dawn was happy. She wanted Dawn to always smile and be happy. Dawn was pretty when she smiled. Buffy couldn't recognize the heartbroken look in her sisters eyes.

*****

Dawn had told Spike about how there were some boxes of toys from when She and Buffy were children. Whilst Buffy and Dawn were eating their lunch Spike made his way down the stairs to the basement and retrieved the boxes of toys. The boxes were stored high up and so they had escaped the damage caused by the flooding some months before.

Spike took the boxes up into the living room and opened them. He emptied the contents onto the floor and went to fetch his girls. Just before he entered the kitchen he noticed a large doll among the toys. He went back and put the doll back in one of the boxes, he'd had enough of insane women their dolls to last him two of even his long lifetimes.

*****

Buffy saw Spike come back into the kitchen and she smiled at him. She knew she was smiling a lot lately but she was happy and she knew that if you are happy you smile, so she smiled often.

Buffy thought she could remember a time when she wasn't happy and didn't smile very often but she thought that it couldn't be real, she had Spike and Dawn so why should she have been unhappy?

*****

Buffy took Spike's hand when he held it out to her and let him lead her into the living room. When she saw the toys scattered across the floor she looked at Spike questioningly.

"Go on luv." He motioned for Buffy to pick up the toys. "They're all for you." Spike would have endured another session of torture from Glory to be able to see the look of pure happiness on Buffy's face at any other time.

As it was the moment only served to cause him more pain than the hell god had ever succeeded in achieving. Was this what Buffy's life would be like from now on? Playing with toys and barely being able to speak in sentences, unable to even dress herself. Spike vowed that he would find a way to cure her, even if when she was well again she tried to remove him from her life once again. That would be a small price to pay to get back the Buffy he had fallen in love with.

Until then nothing would stop him from looking after the two Summers girls.

*****

That night as she waited for Spike to join her in bed Buffy thought about her day. Dawn had helped her get dressed again, she liked it when Dawn helped her and she had picked out the clothes she wanted to wear and Dawn had let her! Dawn was always nice to her and even cooked pancakes for lunch when Buffy had asked for them.

The day had become even better when Spike had given her all the nice toys to play with. She had spent the rest of the day playing with all the toys. She liked Spike a lot, he was very nice to her and didn't leave her alone. Buffy remembered a word she thought meant what she was feeling for Spike but wasn't sure how to tell him.

Love

Chapter 8

Spike woke early on Wednesday. Yesterday had been the last of the days he had convinced the school to let Dawn have off so today, and every day for the foreseeable future, it would just be Spike and Buffy in the house during the day.

Spike was having difficulty thinking of things to keep Buffy occupied. He couldn't exactly take her for a noontime stroll down to the park.

It was this thought that got Spike thinking of something that may be a problem. Buffy knew who he was but did she know what he was? Did she have any idea that he was a vampire? He had drank blood in front of her but that was in a mug and in her current state he had no way of knowing if she knew it was actually blood he was drinking.

He decided it would be best to ask her about it and if she didn't know then he would have to come out and tell her and hope it didn't frighten her. He figured it was for the best that she knew, he didn't want to get angry or fight some demon and vamp out and scare her. At least if she knew and she saw him vamp then it wouldn't be such a shock.

*****

After Dawn had dressed Buffy and got herself ready for school it was time for her to leave. This left Spike to get Buffy some breakfast. He decided to put off the conversation about exactly what he was until Buffy had eaten so that he would have her full attention.

Buffy sat at the kitchen counter watching Spike as he rummaged through the cupboards looking for something for her to eat.

"Here we go luv," he said at last. "Pop Tarts. Wouldn't say they were food but its the best we've got that I can make." He put two of the Pop Tarts in the toaster and warmed himself up a mug of blood in the microwave as he waited for them to heat up. When they were done he took a plate out of the cupboard, placed the Tarts onto it and gave them to Buffy. He took his blood out of the microwave and slowly sipped it.

Buffy ate in silence but once again tried to offer Spike some of her food when she saw he was not eating anything. This went some way in confirming in Spike's mind that Buffy really didn't know he was a vampire.

*****

Spike let Buffy play with her toys while he sat on the sofa thinking of the best way to explain to Buffy that he was a vampire without scaring her. He finally decided the only way to do it was just to sit down and tell her.

"Buffy, come sit up here luv." He motioned for Buffy to sit next to him on the couch. She put sown the pony she was playing with, got off the floor and sat beside him. "Pet, I need to ask you a question, is that all right?" She nodded. "Do you know what I am?" Buffy looked confused.

"Spike."

"That's not what I meant luv. I'm going to show you something and I don't want you to be afraid all right, I'll not hurt you." He turned away from here for a few seconds and when he turned back his human face had disappeared to be replaced by his demon visage.

Buffy's eyes went wide at seeing his vampire face but she didn't cower or appear frightened or particularly shocked by it. She reached up and traced his brow ridges with her fingers.

"What do you see luv?"

"Spike."

Chapter 9

Buffy had been in her demon induced condition for six days. She still seemed happy and healthy, at least physically. Her mental state had shown absolutely no improvement. Not that the residents of the Summers house were expecting any improvement, but even the personal, unvoiced hopes of Dawn and Spike were quickly diminishing.

Dawn managed to quiet the little voice in the back of her mind that kept whispering that her sister would be this way forever by throwing herself into the routine of getting up, getting Buffy dressed, going to school, coming home, feeding Buffy and going to bed. These events were repeated every day and she was thankful that they gave her something to do.

Spike had been looking after Buffy on his own in the day since Wednesday. It was now Friday night and Dawn was back from school. Spike passed the days by making sure Buffy was fed and happy. The latter usually involved either the TV or the toys he had found out for her and always involved Spike never being more than six feet away from Buffy unless it could not be helped.

While Buffy no longer looked scared every time Spike left her sight, she wouldn't let him out of the house or away from her for more than a few moments at a time. They had taken to leaving the door at least partially open when Dawn was dressing Buffy so she could see him even when he wasn't in the room.

Spike always faced the opposite wall while this went on, he was determined that he would in no way take advantage of the situation, not even to get in a quick peak of a semi-nude Buffy. He had to admit the desire to do just that was in his mind - he was still a vampire, and a man, but he easily pushed the thoughts down.

*****

"Spike, what are you doing in here?" Dawn was surprised to see Spike enter her bedroom. She had already made sure Buffy was ready for bed an hour ago and had been reading a magazine on her bed ever since. "How did you get away from Buffy?"

Spike chuckled slightly at this.

"Been awhile since I've wanted to get away from your sis, more like the other way round. Anyway, Slayer's asleep, just thought you might need to talk to someone Bit. Not good to keep all your thoughts locked up."

"Fine, but this goes both ways, you need to talk too." Spike nodded so she continued to speak. "I'm scared Spike, I'm scared that Tara's right and we wont ever get Buffy back. I mean she is Buffy but she's not. Buffy is strong and clever and makes all those puns to vamps. The thing I hear most from this Buffy is 'Dawn's so pretty' and while I won’t turn down the compliments it breaks my heart to hear her talk like that." Despite the effort to make a joke, tears had started falling down Dawn's cheeks. She leaned into Spike and he wrapped his arms around her in an attempt to offer comfort.

"I know Bit, it breaks me too. Look, we can't give up hope, Buffy needs us. I called Clem the other day and he's looking round the demon world for us to try and find anything to help."

"You think he'll find anything?"

"Don't know, but it's a chance isn't it? Now you get to bed, I'd best be gettin' back to Buffy."

"What about you? You said you'd talk too."

"Some other time Bit." And with that he left the room.

*****

Saturday was easier on Spike than the last few days had been seeing as there was both Spike and Dawn to look after Buffy and not Spike by himself. He didn't mind looking after Buffy and he would continue to help for as long as she needed him but it was slowly killing him inside to see her like this.

He hadn't told Dawn the night before but Clem had already called twice in the four days since Spike had asked for his help to report that possible leads had turned up nothing. Spike now had very little hope in his heart that Buffy would ever be cured.

*****

By the time Sunday night came around, Spike was convinced that Buffy would be this way forever. He realised that it was time to tell the Scoobies about Buffy's condition. Not only would it be good for Buffy to see them but something had to be arranged in regards to patrolling. A week had gone by with no active Slayer in town, who knew what the demon situation was like.

Spike thought about what the reactions would be. Red would be devastated but may not try to stop him staying. Demon girl would be worried but wouldn't interfere and Glinda already knew of course. Tara had stopped by twice, once even bringing groceries and blood so that Spike wouldn't have to leave the house.

The real problem would be the Whelp. He would say that Spike was using the situation and manipulating Dawn into letting him stay. He may even try to dust him. He defiantly would try to get Spike out of there.

Shaking his head at the thought of the boy who seemed to me more of a hindrance than a help most of the time, Spike walked over to Dawn to tell her what he had planned.

*****

Dawn took the next day off school so that she could support Spike when the Scoobies were told. She was very glad of that decision as she looked around the room. Willow was crying with Tara holding her, Anya looked upset but remained quiet. Xander on the other hand looked like he wanted to stake Spike, as if this was all his fault.

The day had started with the usual routine of Dawn getting Buffy ready while Spike made breakfast. After breakfast Dawn had called all the Scoobies and told them to come over to the house. When everyone had arrived Dawn had explained the situation as to what had happened to Buffy and the week that had followed. After that Spike had brought Buffy in from the kitchen to meet her friends but she seemed to be shy and wouldn't come out from behind Spike's back. Things had stayed this way for a while now.

"What did you do to her?" Xander's voice cut through the silence. "I don't believe that crap about a demon, you've poisoned her so she'll be dependant on you and you can be the hero of the hour."

Spike's jaw clenched and sparks of yellow flashed through his eyes at the accusation that he had done this to Buffy. He thought of what he had predicted Xander's reaction to be and realised that he hadn't thought of being accused of doing this.

Before Spike could respond, Dawn's hand shot out and connected open-palmed with Xander's cheek.

"You bastard! How dare you say he did this? He's looked after the both of us for a week and you accuse him of being the bad guy?!"

"It's an act Dawn! If he wanted to help her he would have told us!"

Tara faced Xander.

"He d-d-did ask for help, I've known since S-S-Sunday. Spike asked me to help. I-I-I did all I could, found the d-d-demon, tried a healing s-s- spell." Dawn spoke up again.

"Maybe if you had actually called in the last week you would have been told, but you didn't! I see now why you brought Buffy back, to be your friend but only when you need it. You may as well have just kept the 'bot." Dawn knew her words were harsh but she felt they needed to be said. She walked over to the front door and opened it, turning to glare at Xander.

"Get out."

"What?" He looked shocked and confused.

"Get out of my house. Come back when you've quit being a bastard." She waited for Xander to leave then slammed the door behind him.

Spike turned to look at Buffy and found her on the floor crying. He'd hoped she was past this, she hadn't cried like this since the incident with the plate. He looked at the remaining Scoobies.

"Sorry folks, but Buffy's upset and we need to calm her down, we can finish this some other time. Come back tomorrow, leave the Whelp at home." He went back to Buffy, leaving Dawn to show them out.

"Hey luv, what's the matter?"

"Spike and Dawn mad."

"Yeah pet, we are. But not with you. We're never mad at you." As was usual when Spike talked to her, Buffy almost instantly calmed down and leaned against him.

Spike held Buffy and thought about how today couldn't get any worse.

*****

"I don't care that she is harmless! We have to get rid of her! We're the villains, its our job! Now go and get me the phone book."

While he waited for the phone book, Warren thought about what they had learned about the Slayer. They had spent the last week watching and listening while Dawn and Spike had taken care of an insane Buffy. Warren was sick of watching, now was the time to act.

This was a perfect plan: get rid of the slayer and not even have to do anything illegal. He quickly flipped through the pages of the directory, found the correct number and dialled.

"Hello, is this Social Services? Good. This is kind of awkward, but I have a friend who I think needs to be committed."

Chapter 10

The next day saw the Scoobies, minus Xander, again gathered in the Summers living room. To avoid any problems with upsetting Buffy, Dawn was keeping her occupied in the kitchen by backing cookies with her. Spike was wary about Buffy getting burned on the cooker but he knew that Buffy would get upset if anybody started shouting so he didn't say anything to Dawn.

Willow had been thinking about the situation all night. She had managed to compose herself shortly after leaving the night before. She realised that for the last week Spike had managed to take perfectly good care of Buffy and Dawn. What was surprising about this was just how little of a shock that was.

Tara had seen her lover trying to process what she had been told about the events since last Saturday. She hadn't tried to talk to Willow about it or influence her in any way, Willow needed to do this on her own and see what was happening. Tara was glad that Willow seemed to accept Spike staying as being the best option, she knew that both Buffy and Dawn were in safe hands with the vampire.

Anya was pissed off with the whole situation. Not only was her friend sick but Xander was angry and that meant that she would be on the receiving end when he started shouting. They had already had one fight when she wanted to come today but he was still not welcome. Xander wanted her to think the same way as she did and got pissed off when she wouldn't try to take Buffy away from Spike. Anya had already decided that while she was concerned for Buffy, this was not a situation where she should get involved.

Without Xander's presence things went a lot smoother than the previous day. Spike recounted once more what had occurred the night Buffy was attacked and the details of her subsequent week of insanity. Discussions were held as to what would continue to happen with Buffy and Dawn. Eventually it was decided that the situation would stay much the same as it had been, with Dawn and Spike living with Buffy. The only changes would be that the Scoobies would regularly bring groceries and blood to the house and would visit often.

*****

That night as Dawn was dressing Buffy for bed the phone rang. Spike walked towards the stairs from his position next to Buffy's door.

"I'll get it Bit."

"'Kay." After she put Buffy into bed Dawn made her way back to her room, stopping at the top of the stairs to listen to Spike's conversation.

"Look, I've bloody told you, she's sick......No, I don't know when she will get better......Well fine, stuff you and your poxy job!" He slammed the receiver down and started up the stairs.

"What was that about?" Dawn wasn't expecting the slight jump from Spike, she realised she had startled him. Him! "Why are you so distracted?"

"To answer both, that was Buffy's boss and he has decided to sack her. I don't mind, not the place for a slayer that, but Buffy needs it to keep a roof over both your heads." His face took on a look of pain and sadness as he realised what he had said. "Well, at least she used to, can't very well go to work now can she? Don't worry Bit, I've got a few things I can sell to get some cash." With that he passed Dawn and went into Buffy's room.

*****

"Time for bed Spike?" Buffy was very pleased with herself. She had been listening to Spike and Dawn speak and she was trying to say more. This time she had managed a whole question and she grinned at her achievement.

"Yeah luv, time for bed." Spike came and got into bed with her, just like every night.

Buffy wanted him to know she liked this so she wrapped her arms around him and snuggled up close to him.

Spike was slightly uncomfortable with this, memories of their previous relationship floating around in his mind. It wasn't too difficult to separate the two situations though, while they had made love many times, they had never snuggled up in bed. Hell, most of the time there wasn't even a bed involved.

Soon both Buffy and Spike were asleep.

*****

As was per usual, after she had woken up and made sure Buffy was dressed, Dawn went out and fetched in the mail. She looked through the few letters to see if anything was for her. Finding nothing she gave the bundle to Spike who had taken to opening Buffy's mail in case it was something important like a bill. Today however, when Spike read one particular letter Dawn saw his face turn an even paler shade than usual.

"What is it Spike?" Dawn was very worried about what could have shocked Spike like that.

"From Social Services Bit. They've found out about big 'sis, there's to be a hearing in two days about weather or not to put Buffy in permanent care. They want to send her to a funny farm."