Author's Chapter Notes:
Halloween holds many surprises, especially when celebrated the Irish way.
Late in the afternoon of October 31st at William’s home, Elisabeth tied an emerald green ribbon in Jane’s strawberry red hair. “How do I look?”

Her friend stood before her in an emerald green flowing skirt that came to just above her ankles and the royal purple long sleeve peasant shirt. “You’re beautiful. Justin will go wild.”

Jane looked at her friend’s gypsy outfit: a cream off the shoulder peasant shirt, black leather waist cinch and a royal blue flowing handkerchief skirt that came to just above her ankles and a tad higher at times. “You’re gorgeous and that outfit is so bold that William will have to guard you against potential suitors.”

Tonight Anne would chaperone both couples. The girls got ready at the Pratt residence while the men got ready at Justin’s home. “Their carriage is here.” Jane watched from the window. “Oh my goodness!”

When Jane blushed and nearly hyperventilated, Elisabeth rushed over to see what she was missing only to see the back of a black cape enter the house. She grabbed Jane as she rushed towards the door. “No, we’re going to make them wait so we can make an entrance. That’s the plan.”

Jane plopped down on the bed. “Justin was just so …..rough. They’re both just as handsome as they can be.”

After waiting a little while, they ventured downstairs. From the back, Elisabeth saw William in a wide brimmed black Stetson hat and a black caped rifle frock coat practicing flourished fast draws. Justin stood across from him wearing the same style of hat with a silver vest and black knee length frock coat practicing his fast draw. He glanced up and tipped his hat. “Ladies,” he said. “Don’t worry; they’re not loaded.”

William turned and tipped his hat as well. “Beautiful gypyies,” he stated.

Black hat, floor length cape-like coat, burgundy vest over a white linen shirt, black pants and a hip holster which drew attention to something he should be proud of: Elisabeth could safely say that black and red were William’s colors and the duster his garment of choice. Wearing the duster, he exuded a ruggedness and refinement, all in the same breath. Elisabeth felt the heat between her legs. “Hello handsome,” she said.

“Authentic U.S. Marshalls,” William stated pointing to the badge. “Justin’s cousin from the states is visiting and let us borrow these. In return, a certain fashion designer I know will design his girl a dress.”

“Oh, its worth it.” She grabbed his hand and led him to to the living room. “You can arrest me and do anything you want to me.”

“I don’t have any handcuffs.”

“Too bad,” she drawled. “Either way I won’t resist you.” Elisabeth laid back on the couch and hiked up her skirts so he could see her fishnets. “That coat makes you completely irrestistable.”

“Those fishnets make you the sexiest little minx ever.” William lowered himelf on top of her and kissed her passionately.

As he trailed kisses down her neck and shoulders, she felt herself melting. Through their clothing, she felt him. *My wedding night can’t come soon enough!* Suddenly, he was painfully hard.

“My gun,” he muttered. When he sat up, the handle rested against her inner thigh. “This almost took my wedding night present.”

“We’re getting married in two months. I don’t know why we have to wait.” *Elisabeth dreamt of a time where waiting until marriage was almost unheard of.*

“You’ll be mine forever.” He offered his hand to her. “It makes it more special.” When they walked in the parlor, William cleared his throat so that Justin and Jane could break their lip lock. “Mum’s coming. You don’t want her to think we’re sullying our women.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------
On the carriage ride over, Elisabeth noticed the neighborhood getting a little rough but it didn’t scare her. Since William had his arm and coat draped around her shoulders, the chill in the air didn’t bother her either. Anne contentedly looked out the window of the carriage ignoring both couples embraces. They pulled up to a rather old brick building with jack-o-lanterns lining the ground and crosses on the walls.

Justin hopped out first. “Don’t worry. It’s safe. We’re celebrating Halloween the Irish way.”

Elisabeth stopped and looked at the wet ground surrounding the building but several feet out. “Why is the ground wet?”

“That’s holy water to keep the demons away. We’re superstitious folk.”

“Yeah, so superstitious that you walk around with your buddy at night when the vampires are out,” Elisabeth muttered.

“That’s all fairytale nonsense. Some of the muggers are just….ugly and deformed.” Justin picked up several tiny pouches from a cauldron sitting on the ground at the entrance and handed one to each of them. The bags contained dust. “We also believe that throwing dust at a goblin will make them release all the souls they’ve stolen.”

When they walked in, many people dressed in costumes greeted Justin. Along the walls, paper cut outs of witches and ghost decorated the walls along with cornstalks in the corners. Shadow casters provided light spooky shadows. A contingent of children dressed as witches, devils, ghosts, goblins and ghouls descended upon William and Justin once they saw their outfits. Both men started entertaining them with flourished fast draws and other gun play. First, they tossed guns into a spin that they caught behind their backs and holstered. Then they spun the guns around their fingers while they twisted their wrists until they balanced the barrel in the palm of their hands. After a few more elaborate spins, they tossed each other their guns, spun them and holstered them. The children clapped and cheered. Both men promised more after dinner.

As William and Justin entertained the children, Elisabeth nudged Jane. “It looks our boyfriends have boyfriends.”

Jane looked at her strangely. “Oh, I understand now. I’m glad they’re friends. Justin dropped his Irish brogue and picked up more formal mannerisms so he could fit in with the upper crust but he’s not quite comfortable with them. He’s afraid his intellectual friends wouldn’t like speaking to a former street brawler. On the other hand, he loves his family dearly and they him but he’s the only one with a college education. While he’s not ashamed of his past, he doesn’t quite fit into either world anymore.”

“While William comes from a good backround, he hates the trappings of society and doesn’t feel he fits either. And he loves fighting.”

“Justin does too. You know he still carries a knife in his boot.” Jane nodded toward’s Justin’s right leg.

“You can take the boy out of the street but you can’t take the street out of the boy.”

“Every woman wants to marry a gentleman but,” Jane giggled.

“Sleep with a bad boy,” Elisabeth finished. *I’m living the dream.*

Jane’s face turned beet red. “Well, I haven’t. I won’t. Not until I’m married.”


When the dinner bell rang, everyone sat at several long tables with the children having a table all to themselves. The children each had a baked potato while several older woman passed out plates of food to the adults. “The children get coins in the potatos that they’re allowed to keep.” Justin then passed a couple plates to them that had a mini mountain of green specked mashed potatoes with what looked like a tiny pool of butter in the middle. “This is Colcannon. The potatoes have onion and kale in them and that is butter. You dip each bite in the butter.”

Elisabeth took a few bites of the savory mashed potato mixture. “This is delicious. Thanks for inviting us. So where is this cousin of yours?”

Justin pointed to a man who looked about fifty wear a white striped black wild wig dressed as a middle class British gentleman with fake blood splattered across his chest and a folded straight blade razor in his pocket. The man had William’s build. “Beneath Sweeney Todd over there is Ezra Sweeney, my second cousin, U.S. Marshall and genuine Texan.”

Every now and then Elisabeth overheard bits and pieces of tall tales told with a Texan drawl from the next table. Once they finished their main course, everyone sliced into loaves of brown cake with fruit in it. “This is Barnbrack Cake. Watch for objects other than fruit in the cake.”

Elisabeth cautiously picked through her slice to find a simple tin ring in it. “What’s this for?”

Justin heartily laughed. “The ring is a sign of impending romance.” William held up a coin. “That’s the sign of a prosperous year.”

William draped his arm around Elisabeth’s shoulders. “I’ll be able to take care of you properly.”

“I’d rather have romance,” she stated. “And poetry,” she whispered in his ear with a kiss to follow.


After the meal ended, a priest sprinkled holy water on the children and a few of the adults before they left. “The holy water wards off evil spirits. My Ma and Pa are taking them out trick or treating. You’ll be able to meet them properly at the St. Patrick’s Party.”

“We’re going to the Sweeney St. Patty’s party because no one celebrates it like the Irish,” William stated.

“None of the Irish celebrate it like the Sweeneys do,” Justin added.

As some music with a lively beat resounded throughout the hall, William took Elisabeth’s hand and lead her to the dance floor. Instead of formal dancing, couples danced lively steps. After several dances, Ezra tapped William on the shoulder so William kissed her cheek and allowed Ezra a dance.

Ezra twirled her around several times. “So you’re the little filly who caught young Will’s heart,” he drawled.

“Yeah and you’re the mysterious cousin who taught them how them all that fancy gun stuff. I never met a Marshall before. Do you get into a lot of gun fights?”

“My fair share,” he replied. He looked towards William and Justin who twirled the guns again. “That’s just for show. In a real gun fight, we aim and fire quicker than you can blink.”

“You didn’t let them have bullets did you?”

“Hell nah,” he stated. “I’d never let them British dandies touch a bullet. Bad nuff I had to dodge my own pistols when they first tossed ‘em round but they’re doin’ a fine job now.”

“Oh, I hope they didn’t damage your guns.”

“Nah, even if they did. Not like I don’t have a bunch more.”

Elisabeth saw that he had no less than three pistols on him . “I can see.”

“Well, I carry more at night. You never know what kind of vermin you might meet at night especially during a shindig.” He patted one of the guns. “By the way, you goin’ to design somethin for my daughter?”

“I’d be honored. What’s her favorite color?”

“Green,” he replied. He twirled her in a big circle. “Think you can handle some real Texas dancin?”

“Bring it,” she answered. To her surprise, he spun her and flipped her over his back. She kept up with everything he had to dish out and then some. Then Ezra danced with Jane and Justin danced with her for a couple of songs.
--------------------------------------------------------
While his girl danced, William enjoyed some ice cold hard apple cider. After he danced with Jane, Ezra soon joined him. “Will, you have yourself one wild filly.”

“Indeed I do.”

“Mind some advice,” Ezra offered.

“Sure,” William replied.

“Make sure you deserve respect by takin care of your own. Sometimes you have to fight for it though.”

“Elisabeth respects me.”

“Just make sure everyone in your home respects you both including the passle of young ‘uns you’re sure to have. Sometimes you have to fight for it cause sometimes they just don’t listen.”

“My children will love me.”

“Sure they will but its respect that keeps your home in order. Respect is fifty percent love, forty percent admiration and ten percent fear.”

William looked at him in horror. “I will not have anyone in my home fear me. I find that revolting.”

“I don’t mean that everyone walks around in fear. I mean they listen to you and follow the rules but the fear the consequences if they don’t. That maintains order, especially when they’re teenagers.”

“I guess I have something to think about….later.” William noticed his mother talking several other matrons so he decided to make the most of his unchaperoned time.

--------------------------------------l------------------
Near the end of the song, Elisabeth felt a familiar tingle. William stood at the edge of the dance area with one raised eyebrow wearing that duster. He offered his hand and gave her that heart melting smile of his. She let him lead her outside. At the side of the building, away from the entrance, he embraced her. As his lips trailed gently over her shoulders a low moan escaped her lips. In William’s tender embrace, the world faded away giving way to a multitude of tinglies. *At last, some alone time and excellent kissage.*

Bang! Bang! Bang! “Damn ugly vermin!”

William pressed Elisabeth against him and covered her head the second the first gunshot thundered through the air.

“One of them vermin was watchin’ you over yonder.” Ezra pointed to a spot just beyond the holy water boundry where a pile of dust lay.

From inside, the music had slowed a bit leaving her to believe that they had been smooching for awhile. Once William relinquished his protective stance, Elisabeth looked at the pile curiously. “Bullets don’t kill vampires. Only a wooden stake through the heart will.” *Vampires and demons don’t come out on Halloween either. My dreams tell me so much.*

“I don’t reckon to get close to one like my daughter does. She’s real fast and real strong. I’d rather just shoot them with Mr. Colt here and these blessed wooden bullets. Now you two need to get back in. You had enough time unchaparoned. Wasn’t ‘bout to let Will’s ma come out here.”

William buttoned his shirt and Elisabeth straightened her clothes before they went in. When they entered, Elisabeth noticed Justin and Jane absent.

“Time to get the other two,” muttered Ezra.

With the slower tempo of music, Elisabeth enjoyed nearness as they danced together slowly. Later, Justin and Jane entered slightly disheveled with Ezra escorting them. Jane bubbled with delight and started showing folks her hand. William smiled. “I think she has some good news she wants to share.”

“Did Justin propose?” He nodded. “And you knew and didn’t say anything,” she concluded. “You should have told me.”

“Women gossip,” he stated.

“I wouldn’t have said anything.”

“Doubtful,” he replied.

“For that I’m not speaking to you for the rest of the night.” When she turned to leave, William grabbed her and kissed her.

“You said no speaking not kissing. Now go to Jane before she explodes.”

*He just gets bolder and bolder.*

The moment Elisabeth exited the dance floor, Jane grabbed her. “Justin proposed.” She held up a marquise shaped diamond engagement ring. “This is so exciting we must get together and plan the wedding sometime. I was thinking of having the ceremony in May.”

--------------------------------------------------------------
That night as Elisabeth went to sleep, she reflected on that evening. Her best friend was getting married but that didn’t bring the tear to her eye. Nor did the fact that having someone else take care of a vampire which relieved a weight on her shoulders. Instead, the fact that William loved her so much that he would protect her with his life meant more to her than anything. He didn’t even think twice when he wrapped himself around her as the first gun shot rang out. *No one has ever loved me so much.* She looked at the empty pillow next to her. *In two months, when I go to sleep, William will be next to me.*


Chapter End Notes:
A/N – Please R&R. I love hearing from you all. To get an idea of the gun show, go to youtube and look up “Gunslinger Joey Dillon Hollywood Gun Coach” and you will see the spins. To get an idea of just how fast Ezra fired his pistol, look up “Fast Draw - 5 shots off an assistant in less than a second.” It’s pretty amazing and funny also. The outfits that William and Justin are wearing was inspired by the movie Tombstone: Doc Holliday and Morgan Earp’s outfits respectively.

Anyone pickup on what Ezra’s daughter is? Please let me know your thoughts on anything and everything. Next a Yuletide party with Cecily and Wellington making a guest appearance.