Author's Chapter Notes:
Everyone prepares for Christmas day and Justin's proposal is revealed.
Early in December, Elisabeth rushed towards William’s house enjoying the scenery around her. Though afternoon, already the soft warm glow of candles and lanterns illuminated the snow covered homes, cobblestone streets and shops. Holiday hams and pastries hung in the shops while street vendors converged on the plethora of patrons who bustled in droves through the streets. For a month she collected scraps of ribbons, rickrack, cloth, buttons and various knickknacks that the shop set to be discarded in anticipation of this day.

At the same time she arrived, Jane came running up next to her carrying a silver hat box. “This is going to be fun.”

“I’ve never done anything like this before.” Together they planned to decorate the Pratt residence for Christmas.

Though they decorated and always kept the Christmas spirit, because it was just the two of them, William and Anne always spent the holidays at someone else’s house. This time they would have Christmas dinner at their home with Elisabeth, Jane and Justin in attendance. Since Jane’s family wanted to go on a Swiss ski trip like they did most every Christmas, Jane opted instead to spend her Christmas in London with her fiancé. However, she needed an escort and Anne would be perfect for that. Since Elisabeth grew weary of Rose’s constant hints of how much better of a husband Wellington would be over William, she opted to stay the month with Anne as well. Also, being in the same home with Anne and Jane made it easier to plan the wedding. Because it wouldn’t be proper with William there with two unrelated and unwed young women, it was decided that he would stay with Justin to experience what it was like to have a brother.

In the living room the girls sat together amongst a table covered with all their bric-a-brac. Anne brought in tea, cookies and pastries for them. “This year we will be getting a tree so we’ll need ornaments.”

Elisabeth used fancy ribbon and tied together a six inch tall clump of material two inches from the top so the bottom flared out. “Is Justin’s family OK with him spending Christmas here?”

“Yes, they’re spending Christmas Eve together.” Using cardboard, Jane cut out shapes of bells. “He likes the idea of a quieter Christmas without all his nieces, nephews and cousins running around. At Halloween, we only saw a fraction of the family. Oh by the way, please pass along to William my thanks for such romantic proposal. I’m sure he helped Justin.” Jane fondly remembered that night.

In a candle lit back room of the Halloween hall, a slice of Barnbrack Cake sat on a small round table. Justin took a seat and motioned for her to sit in the other. Being around Elisabeth, Jane learned that there was no shame in enjoying the affections of your suitor so she hopped on his lap for good snogging. Between kisses, he managed to say the words.

**“Serenading you with words
as my love flows,
How do you posses me so
with one word my smile glows”

**By: Jeff Weiner

“Check…the….cake,” he said as she nibbled his earlobes.

Jane stopped snogging and looked him directly in his dark eyes. “I don’t want cake. I want to enjoy our few minutes alone.”

“For me, a Stóirín,” he said sweetly with a light caress to the back of her knee. *(Pronounced ah store-een = My little darling)*

She pouted a moment. “You know I can’t resist you when you speak Gaelic.” She looked at the cake and saw the marquis diamond ring.

“Pósfaidh tú mé?” *Will you marry me?*
“Yes, I’ll marry you. I love you so much.”


Elisabeth knew the whole story from Jane and had always suspected that William wrote the poem and helped with the planning. Not to ruin Justin’s moment of glory, she never said anything but kept her suspicions to herself. “I’ll pass it on. It’s only fair since Justin taught William to fight and all.”

Jane started painting the cardboard bells silver creating dresdens for the tree. “By the way, Lord Wellington and Cecily will be at the Darlington’s Christmas Ball next weekend. The guys have a pact to watch out for each other’s girls. I say we make a similar pact and we watch out for each other’s fiancés because of Cecily.”

“Deal,” Elisabeth agreed.

Jane began sewing ribbons together. “So you’re going to Malaga, Spain for your honeymoon?”

“We’re staying at a beach bungalow for six weeks.” Elisabeth sewed some felt eyes onto her angel. “Anne arranged it for us as a wedding present. Her friends own the place.”

Jane looped string through the bells so they could be hung from the trees. “Are there a lot of historic sites?”

“There are some a good carriage ride away.” Anne tied fancy ribbons around some candy canes. *There’s not much to do there but they’ll entertain themselves and I will hopefully have a grandchild soon enough.* While Anne didn’t plan to interfere in their lives, getting a grandchild was the one thing she planned to help along anyway she could. “By the way Elisabeth, Ezra will be joining us for dinner tomorrow night and to pick up the dress.” Anne excused herself while she tended to some dough ornaments that she baked.

Jane carefully looked around to ensure that no one was around to unsure utmost discretion. “I’m nervous about my wedding night. No one talks to me about this sort of thing except to say just lie there and bare it but I love kissing and all.” She paled. “I mean I love Justin but he does come from a rough background. Do you think it will be as bad as they say?”

Elisabeth saw the sheer terror in her friend’s eyes. Earlier Jane had confided in her that she had to throw a tantrum to get her parents to approve of her marriage to Justin once they found out about his background. She couldn’t believe the backwards thinking.

Jane continued. “Sometimes husbands go to the red light district so their wives don’t have to endure certain things. After you’re married, would you be honest and ….never mind.”

*Jane has been brought up in a strict society household. What do they tell these girls?* “When two people are married and in love, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. Justin might come from a rough background but he’d never hurt you. There’s no need for a husband to have a hooker on the side because his wife needs a break. Women can enjoy sex just as much as men.”

Jane gasped. “Have you!”

“No but I have reliable sources and I’ve gotten the talk. Look I’ll give you every detail and report to you about my wedding night.”

Jane giggled. “That would be most improper.”

“You must swear never to breathe a word to anyone.”

Jane nodded enthusiastically. “If that’s the case, maybe I’ll push my wedding up to April.”
-------------------------------------------------------------
The following evening Ezra arrived for dinner wearing his normal western gear. Without the Sweeney Todd wig, they could see that he had short hair salt and pepper hair. Elisabeth showed him the dress she made. A satin emerald green top that hung down in the back could be bustled or could hang to the ground and the top had mid-length satin sleeves with lace forming a faux long sleeve. The front looked like a mock corset. It could be worn over a cream satin simple long dress in spring or a black one for winter. Effectively, she created several looks in one dress. “Gale will love this. Thank you.”

One of the servants announced dinner and they all sat down. First they started with a chicken soup. “So Ezra, have you enjoyed your vacation?”

“Well, I have enjoyed it but it was sort of a business trip to start.” Ezra broke off some bread and dipped it in the soup.

Several eyebrows rose including Anne’s as they watched him eat but Elisabeth stifled a giggle and did so herself. “What sort of business?”

“Well, my daughter is very special and somehow a group of scholars here knew ‘bout it. Two years ago they sent one of their own to tutor her. That boy didn’t know much ‘bout Texas and rattlesnakes. Let’s just say he found out the hard way.” The chicken and potatoes were served and he paused to help himself. “Anyhow, they sent another and that ole boy tried to get Gale to keep her tutoring secret from me and her ma. Then the yellow belly tried to keep me an’ my posse from helpin’ her out with some of the vermin. I didn’t take to well to that advice and sent him packin’. They got a might ornery ‘bout that.”

The tale fascinated Elisabeth. “How angry were they?”

“Well, the yellow belly did have a bit of buckshot in his….”

“Peas,” Anne offered.

“So your daughter confides in you about ….stuff and you help her,” Elisabeth stated.

“Of course, matter fact that’s why I visited. Trying to make peace with the tutors,” Ezra stated.

“Did everything go alright?”

“Not so much,” he replied. “They informed me that they didn’t want her to be a teacher which she has her heart set on. Then I found out about a nasty little test they planned to give my daughter when she turned eighteen. Me an’ my two friends convinced them not to and never to step foot in Texas.”

Elisabeth passed him the sweet cream butter and more rolls. “Who are your two friends?”

“Smith & Wesson,” he replied.

While everyone else at the table found Ezra entertaining and eccentric, she found him highly informative.
----------------------------------------------------------------
The evening of the Darlington Christmas Ball, Elisabeth regally entered the grand ballroom wearing a scarlet long-sleeved princess cut velvet gown that clung to her figure. William proudly stood next to her in a long tale tux and vest that matched her dress. Next to them, Jane practically glowed wearing a deep green velvet dress in the exact style as Elisabeth with Justin wearing a vest to match. The music started and they danced amongst their elegantly dressed peers in the candlelit grand ballroom. Sprigs of strategically placed mistletoe provided ample opportunity to sneak kisses.

After several dances, both couples socialized. During that time, Jane noticed that Cecily started moseying towards William with Elisabeth nowhere near. Immediately, Jane bumped into him and cleared her throat loudly. As her pushed back his spectacles, he looked down at her. “Do you wish to…?”

“Yes, come on,” Jane replied grabbing his arm and practically dragged him to the dance floor.

On the other side of the ballroom, Elisabeth chatted with Madam Leveau and some of her friends about fashion when Justin noticed Wellington heading her way. Since it would be rude to ignore him, she let him speak to her away from the other ladies but well in the public eye. Once Justin saw where they headed, he intercepted and stood beneath the mistletoe just as they arrived. Elisabeth rolled her eyes. “Justin look up,” she stated.

“Oh my,” he said.

“We have to avoid bad luck.” She kissed his cheek. “Lord Wellington, you wished to speak to me.”

He glared at Justin. “Only to apologize for my prior behavior. If you ever need anything, I am at your disposal.”

“I accept your apology. If you’ll excuse me, Justin promised me this dance.”

Justin flashed a Cheshire grin. “Sorry about that old chap but I’m ever so popular,” he stated in a high British accent before he whisked her away on the dance floor.

“Thanks,” she said. Then she nodded towards Jane. “Jane is absolutely glowing. What’s going on with you two?”

“Nothing,” he said.

“Don’t nothing me,” she stated. “What did you two do?”

Justin’s dark eyes darted around the room. “It has to do with a strawberry pebble.”

*Oh My God! The strawberry pebble!* Elisabeth blushed then she glared at him. “She wants to wait for marriage.”

“We are waiting for the important things but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun, Sister Elisabeth of the Immaculate Engagement.”

As Justin chuckled softly, Elisabeth gasped and kept quiet. *He figured out what William and I do!*

Moments later, they danced near to William and Jane. Both men twirled the girls and then switched partners.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
At one of the tables adorned with a red table cloth and a silver candle encased in a wreath of holly, a slightly older man and a young woman scowled ignoring the beauty and festive feelings surrounding them. Cecily’s blue eyes gazed at the couples dancing, specifically William and Elisabeth. “So you couldn’t get her alone could you?”

“No but I did get her exactly where I want her,” Lord Wellington coolly replied.

“Are you going to get them to call off the wedding?”

“No because once they are married she’ll come to realize something about him that the aristocracy already knows,” drawled Wellington.

“What’s that?”

“How insignificant William really is. Once she realizes that and is bored with him, I will become her lover, all of the benefits with none of the commitment.” He swigged some Champaign. “You can have everything you want as well.”

Cecily sipped some mulled wine. “How do you mean?”

“You want William’s attentions but he is untitled and therefore unsuitable for a husband.”

Cecily gazed at the once shy intellectual who now exuded a confidence she found attractive. “At one time, I wouldn’t have even wanted his attentions. I think I know what you’re suggesting and it just wouldn’t do.”

“You need a marriage with wealth and title and I have just the answer.” He pointed to a feeble elderly man. “You should marry Lord Hallsworth.”

“That decrepit old man,” she stated.

“That rich widowed old lord who has no living relatives and whose doctor says has only a few months to live. A young woman married to such a man could easily be a mistress to a lonely but devoted newlywed whose beautiful wife is preoccupied with her lover.”

“What if they don’t bore of one another or even if they do what if they refuse to cheat on one another?”

“As long as it looks like they are,” he replied. “I merely need to step it up and make them think the other is cheating with a few carefully written notes.” He held up a shopping list that Elisabeth made and a short note from William. “We just need to practice our forgery skills.”

“Oh cousin, why didn’t we ever team up before?”


Chapter End Notes:
Please R&R. Thank you for all your support.