Author's Chapter Notes:
SUPER SPECIAL THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REVIEWS!

After a major upset, you guys pulled me from my blues.
Several weeks ago, William Pratt reviewed the purchase agreement for some property in Knightsbridge. The money spent would be recovered within ten years based on the tenant’s rent leaving the property free and clear. For the Pratt family, the antiquities trade provided new wealth for William’s father and now him as part of an emerging wealthy class brought on by commerce. But like others in his situation, titles held favor for most.

Joshua showed William a list of farms for purchase. “Will you be attending Lord Wellington’s ball?”

“Only because of some of our old chums will be there,” he replied. “I suppose Jane Nestaun will be there.”

“I can only hope.” Joshua leaned back in his chair and absently stroked his dark mustache. “Are you ever going to approach Cecily?”

While he ran his hand through his wavy hair, William shifted in his chair and quickly glanced down. “She would never speak to me.”

“You danced with her at the masque ball a few months ago.”

“That was different.” William checked off a few of the farms that interested him.

“Hiding behind a mask is liberating.” Joshua removed another stack of paperwork from his desk for William to review.

“Yes, it is.” William remembered the evening well. Behind the mask, he didn’t worry about his actions or views gaining disfavor amongst the traditional crowd which ultimately could hurt his family’s reputation and affect their business dealings as well. Further, no one snubbed him for lack of title. Indeed, it was the most liberating experience he ever knew.

“You manage your affairs better than most of the aristocracy.”

Glancing up at his friend, William pushed back his spectacles. “The formula is simple. Income must exceed expenses.” Realizing the time, William hastily stashed the papers in his valise. “Sorry to be of trouble,” he muttered. “Thank you for staying late on my behalf,” he stated. As he left he said, “Goodbye.”

“It’s only a few minutes. Besides, we’re friends.” Joshua shook his head. “Farewell William,” he called.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
That evening after his meal, William gazed around at his rather large home: five bedrooms with one for him and one for his mother who now spent a few months with her friends in the country. All he wanted was a wife to share it with and if heaven granted it, his own family. Most of the gentry married to improve their social standing but he couldn’t imagine sharing his life with only a friend or acquaintance as his wife. Ever the romantic, he hoped to meet his soul-mate one day but he pushed such private romantic notions aside.

Then William retired to his study and removed his journal from a hidden drawer in his desk. Reading politically charged papers considered improper by the aristocracy, he wrote some of his thoughts about reform. First, he expressed his support for the working class including the new child labor law that prevented children under nine from working in factories. Other papers touted that women should be treated as equals. Secretly, he wrote his supportive thoughts on those revolutionary ideas as well. Afterwards, he escaped into his poetry: a boundless world which William flourished in.
-------------------------------------------------
Several evenings later amongst the twinkling stars in breezy ebony night sky, Venus, the astrological planet of love, shined brighter than the rest. *This is serendipitous for Justin and his plans to approach Jane this evening. I wish I had his bravery.* William strolled into Lord Wellington’s manor eager to see some of his professors and chums from Oxford.

All thoughts of Cecily left William when he saw HER: honey blond hair, delicate features, lovely green eyes and possessing a certain something that riled him in a most embarrassing way. Immediately, he thought of all things grotesque to tame the beast below the belt before anyone noticed. Another group of gentlemen of noble birth apparently noticed the gorgeous new arrival as well, especially Lord Wellington. Seeing the long line to sign Elisabeth’s dance card and moreover the aristocracy in that line, William never bothered approaching her.

During a small break in the dancing, William’s hopes soared when he thought he caught a mildly flirtatious glance his way from the beguiling American girl. When he noticed several eligible Lords loitering nearby, his heart sank with the realization that she meant for them to notice her not someone as undeserving as him. *Well, she’s interested in someone with a title I’m sure.*
-------------------------------------------------------
The next day after church, William gathered his picnic lunch and his journal and went to Battersea Park. Beneath his favorite tree, he relaxed with his journal awaiting inspiration. That afternoon he chatted with an American girl who possessed a rather cute way of expressing herself which amused him. Even though he didn’t understand some of her peculiar Americanisms, he got the general idea. Since a proper lady wouldn’t be out unescorted, he wondered if she was married or simply didn’t care. Either way, her carefree attitude captivated him.

The following Sunday, the American girl showed up once more by jumping out of a tree. Despite his concern for her safety, he secretly admired her lack of concern about propriety. Based on that, he wondered if she was the daughter of middle-class American tourists, not that class mattered to him. The anonymity between them allowed him comfort that he never had speaking to women. The red oak tree became his mask with his newfound companion.
--------------------------------------------------------
On Saturday, William attended a party hosted by his friends Lord Byron and Lady Millicent Brooks. Often he had business dealings with Byron over the past few years. Several dinner invites led to an eventual a friendship. Often, he envied the loving couple and their cherished family. This evening he heard through the grapevine that Lord Wellington’s pursuit of Miss Sommersby commenced.

During a game of Blind Man’s Bluff, Lord Wellington intercepted Elisabeth as she stumbled towards him, dashing William’s hopes of meeting her. Not only did William anger over that but also at the fact that Lord Wellington pursued an innocent girl in hopes of a sordid marriage. Wellington’s wife died many years prior during childbirth along with the baby but rumors of his affairs outside the marriage still circulated. While many of William’s peers felt it appropriate to have a wife to bear their children and keep their homes, they kept a mistress on the side to satisfy their immoral pleasures. He disapproved of this practice. While William knew he wasn’t worthy of Elisabeth, he hoped she would soon realize that Wellington wasn’t either.
--------------------------------------------------------
That Sunday William purchased a small painting of a blue butterfly for his Battersea Park companion. While he found Elisabeth intensely desirable physically, he considered his newfound companion, who he nicknamed Butterfly, just as desirable in a manner of friendship. As Butterfly spoke of her trouble with a certain man, William felt a tiny pang of jealousy.

“Forget that stupid William Pratt ‘I’m so smart’ snob,” she muttered.

When he heard that, he dropped his torte and hopped to his feet. “Pardon,” he stated as he stood above her.

“Oh my God,” she muttered.

What does one say when the object of one’s desire and the object of one’s budding friendship are the same? Moreover, how should one respond to accusations of snobbery from a girl dressed as a boy? William Pratt stood aghast and tongue tied momentarily as he contemplated those questions. “Snob?” he questioned. The only word he found capable of saying with his comfortable mask of anonymity ripped away.

“Someone told me that you were an intellectual snob.” Elisabeth stood up in defiance. “That’s why you only speak to your cronies at parties and why you wouldn’t ask me to dance.”

“No, that’s not it.” Promptly, he walked to the other side of the tree. He felt he cheeks already burning.

She followed. “Tell me why,” she demanded. When he turned the opposite direction, she pursued. They kept at the game until she giggled incessantly. “I can do this all day.” And she kept going. “Do you not like girls?”

“I like girls.” Soon laughter replaced William’s shyness. “Did you dress like a boy because you thought I liked boys?”

Elisabeth crossed her arms. “I like a sense of humor but that doesn’t get you off the hook.”

“You have much more worthy suitors. I didn’t think you would be interested.”

“I determine who I want to go out with. That Wellington has a major creep factor.” She relaxed against the tree nearly touching him.

“I’m glad you realized that.” He looked her up and down. “Seriously, why are you dressed like a boy?”

“The skirts and corset make it impossible to do anything. If you don’t believe me, you should try wearing one yourself.”

“No, no,” he answered softly. “I’ll take your word for it.”

Her green eyes gazed up at him trying to conceal mischievousness. “There’s another ball this Saturday. You are going to dance with me, aren’t you?”

Though William knew that he should be appalled by her forwardness, he found it enticing. Further, he found it rubbing off on him. “Only if you accompany me to it but on one condition,” he offered.

“Name it,” she countered.

“You have to dress like a lady.”

“I’ll consider it but only on one condition.”

“What’s that?” William waited with baited breath.

“You have to catch me.” Elisabeth darted away.

William followed at top speed. *This girl can run! I need to start running each morning so I can keep up.* A bit later, William realized he ran through the park chasing a girl dressed like a boy while several of his fellow Londoners watched skeptically. At that moment, it didn’t matter. Later, he found Elisabeth wading in the water so he followed.

She splashed some water at him. “You still haven’t caught me.”

“Are you going to swim around the entire lake and expect me to pursue?”

She sloshed over to him. “Would you swim after me?”

“Of course,” he answered. *You’re worth the embarrassment it may cause.*

“You still haven’t caught me.”

“I’m standing right next to you.” *Does she want me to grab her? That would be inappropriate and far too forward. She might bolt and never speak to me again.*

She stood next to him shifting from one foot to another. “I have a secret to tell you.” She motioned for him to lean down so he did. Instantly, she leapt up and kissed his cheek. *See you Saturday!” she exclaimed.

As she splashed her way out of the water, William touched his cheek and smiled. *Elisabeth is accompanying me to the ball! Me! William Pratt!* Immediately, he raced home to plan the proper way to woo of his beautiful butterfly.


Chapter End Notes:
Please R&R. Thank you.