Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for all your reviews. You guys are truly inspiring me forth.
On Saturday afternoon, Elizabeth combed her hair as she gazed dreamily into the mirror. *I have the perfect boyfriend.*

All week William sent her gifts from confections to flowers but her favorite she kept in the corner of her mirror: a lovely azure card in the shape of a butterfly adorned with ivory lace. The verse he wrote on it warmed her.

Enchanting me with her
Laughter and smile,
In my dreams
So beautiful and I
Adore her so,
Bewitching me in
Every way and
Truly in my
Heart forever more.

Such romantic presents made Elisabeth feel treasured. Unlike other ladies of her time, she couldn’t embroider, paint, draw or otherwise make romantic tokens to reciprocate his affections. Rose commented on William’s forthrightness with the gifts citing it as too much too soon. Since William was a poet, Elisabeth figured great passion resided behind that cool exterior. The abundant gifts expressed his exuberance. Technically, they had already dated for three weeks anonymously in the park.

She fondly remembered her days at the park with him especially the last one. Ever the gentleman, she practically begged him to kiss her. In a way, she adored William’s shyness especially when he blushed. However, at times she just wanted him to kiss her. She hoped that he took the hint that it was alright to kiss her once she kissed him. Often she dreamt of more forward times but accepted the slow romantic pace of these times.

Earlier that week, on Wednesday after sorting through fabric and notions at the dress shop, Monsieur Leveau asked her to wear a rather avant-garde dress to the ball and Elisabeth accepted. The teal fitted dress featured a snug silver bodice and off the shoulder faux sleeves of silver lace. The silver tapered down to the teal skirt in an ornate threaded pattern. The tiered ruffles only hung at the sides and back. Bare shoulders along with a fitted hip-length bodice in the front would surely cause controversy. She couldn’t wait for William to see it.

Earlier that week, Heath and Rose met with William. During that meeting, they decided to share a carriage in order to provide a proper escort for William and her. From her window, Elisabeth observed the arrival of William’s carriage.

After dawdling for a bit, Elisabeth made her entrance. As she descended the stairs, Rose gasped in shame, Heath puffed his cigar and pure lust flashed in William’s cerulean eyes. However, reserved admiration replaced lust by the time she reached the bottom step. She wondered if he noticed the lust in her eyes when she saw him in his black coat which tapered at the waste and flared slightly and the hips along with snug breeches. Heath and Rose exited to the foyer to leave the couple alone but only for a few moments and with the door open.

William kissed her gloved hand. “You’re absolutely stunning.”

“Thank you,” she replied.

“I have something for you.” He opened a jewelry box to reveal a silver rope necklace with a teardrop teal gem.

“This is so beautiful. Thank you.” She held the perfectly matched necklace to her cleavage. “How did you know?”

“Monsieur Leveau told me the colors but nothing else.” William clasped the necklace around her neck.

“You’re wonderful William. I’ve never had such an attentive boyfriend.”

“Just…friend,” he muttered.

She remembered boyfriend had a different connotation than what she meant. “Much more than a friend,” she stated.

As he tucked her hand on his arm, he blushed. “If no one ever lavished you with such attention, they were fools.”
------------------------------------------------------------
Carriages converged on the newly built Royal Albert Hall. Elisabeth studied the marble archways, candle operas and sculptures. A sea of finely dressed couples waltzed to music provided by a small orchestra. Because it was such a large public event, they didn’t have dance cards. Some of the older ladies looked as shocked as Rose did when they saw her gown but the younger ones seemed envious. Many of the gentlemen looked upon her with reserved lust. None of it mattered as she gazed into William’s eyes. For tonight, he danced with her most every dance. Every once in awhile another gentlemen would ask Elisabeth to dance and she accepted to not be rude. William would allow them a dance citing that it was the price he paid for escorting the most beautiful woman in the world to the ball.


As Lord Wellington danced with a succession of several young ladies, he watched William dance with Elisabeth. She seemed completely infatuated with him; something he didn’t understand at all. Moreoever, it was something he couldn’t allow. After awhile he made his way over to Rose and nodded towards the couple. “Well, isn’t that an interesting match?”

“Elisabeth is very spirited and she has made her choice.” Rose waved her yellow fan. “William is an affable young man but a little shy.”

“Indeed he is. It’s just too bad for me. I should have expressed my intentions towards Elisabeth sooner.” Lord Wellington slyly smiled. “It would have been advantageous for us both. You could have been my cousin.”

Rose’s eyes lit up when she imagined full access to the upper echelons of society with a union between the Wellingtons and their family.


Well into the evening, Elisabeth closed the very polite distance between her and William as they danced. William’s smile brightened and he gently caressed her back where his hand rested. That slight action sent tingles down her spine. While he gazed mostly into her eyes, every now and then his eyes stole a glance at her cleavage but she didn’t mind. She considered it quite an accomplishment to make William forget himself and act so roguishly. “You’re my rogue poet, aren’t you?”

“What?” he stated. He looked like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. “Pardon me,” he pleaded bashfully.

“Don’t be,” she replied flirtatiously. “The necklace was a gift from you. You’re entitled to admire the gem all you want.” Conveniently, it rested perfectly in her cleavage. “Perhaps when we’re alone, you may admire it up close, but only you.”

William blushed all the way up to the tips of his ears. “You are a naughty girl Elisabeth.”

“I’m your naughty girl William. You seem to bring that out in me.”

“Same,” he whispered.



Two dances later Lord Wellington tapped William’s shoulder. Elisabeth allowed herself to dance with him. However, William’s eyes revealed a jealous but controlled rage.

“You look very beautiful tonight.”

“Thank you,” she replied demurely.

“You’ve made William quite happy.” He discretely glanced over to William who danced with Cecily. “I’m sure he’s over his heartache.”

“Heartache?”

“For the last several months, he fancied Cecily but I’m sure he’s not interested in her anymore. After all, she never returned his attentions.” He twirled around so Elisabeth faced the dancing couple but ever so briefly.


Earlier Cecily regarded Elisabeth’s new dress with disdain. For the new American girl stole her limelight. Moreover, she stole the attentions of William Pratt. When she saw this debutante preferring William over several wealthier and more advantageous prospects, Cecily wondered what she missed. Purposefully, she brushed against William just as he exited the dance floor while Elisabeth danced with Lord Wellington.

Politely, he nodded to her and showed her courtesy. “Cecily, would you care to dance?”

“I thought you would never ask.”


Elisabeth watched William and Cecily dance together and it sickened her. She remembered that Rose mentioned rumors of William’s interest in Cecily before she arrived. However, Cecily never paid him any attention since she had much better prospects and William never approached her. Further she remembered an admission William made in the park before he knew who she was.

*“I dare not approach the girl I wanted to meet because she desires someone of a much higher station but it doesn’t matter now.”*

At the time Elisabeth thought he meant her. *Did he mean Cecily?* “Excuse me Lord Wellington,” she said as she stepped away from him. “I’m feeling a little light headed. I think I need some air.”


Lord Wellington winked at a couple of his mates and followed her into the gardens. “You really shouldn’t be out here alone, especially if you’re not feeling well.” Once he caught up to her, he motioned towards a park bench. “At least sit down,” he pleaded. After she sat down, he handed her a handkerchief. “I’m going to get you a glass of water. Will you be alright?”

Elisabeth nodded.


A smile came to Lord Wellington’s lips as he entered the ballroom and saw William frantically searching around. He solemnly looked down and took the long way to the refreshment table. “William, forgive me I wasn’t watching where I was going?”

“Have you seen Elisabeth?” His blue eyes darted around the room.

“I don’t know how to tell you this.” Lord Wellington fiegned dismay.

“What are you talking about?”

“Please don’t be angry with Elisabeth. She only wanted to….make me jealous.” He patted William’s shoulder. “She is young and reckless. Don’t be upset with her. Now if you’ll excuse me. I must join her.” Manipulating the naive came easy to Lord Wellington and corrupting them was even more pleasurable. He found Elizabeth to be a tasty innocent morsel which he fully intended to devour.


As he left the ball, William couldn’t decide which hurt more: swallowing the endless lumps in his throat or the slow shattering in his heart. *How could Elizabeth do such a thing!* He stopped just before he reached his carriage. *Would my butterfly do such a thing?”*


As she sat alone on the park bench, Elizabeth’s teardrops fell when she thought about the loss of her William. Lord Wellington placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and handed her a cup of water. “Just let it all out,” he whispered.”

“I’m sorry to be such a bother.” She sipped the water and dried her eyes using the handkerchief he handed her.

“You’re not a bother. We are friends.”


Chapter End Notes:
The ELISABETH snippet was based on some of the practices of the time. Admittedly, I'm not a poet. Please R&R.