Author's Chapter Notes:
A new side of William is revealed.
William stopped just before he reached his carriage. *Would my butterfly do such a thing?”* Remembering their anonymous chats in the park, her forthrightness and her bold flirtations directly solely at him, he doubted she would ever use him to make Wellington jealous. Through their short acquaintance, William came to know Elisabeth’s heart. *She wouldn’t do that.*

William raced back into the ballroom where he bumped into Justin who was grabbing his cane and hat on his way out. “Justin, have you seen Elisabeth?”

“Not for awhile,” he replied.

“Have you seen Wellington?” William frenetically scanned the room.

“I think he mentioned something about the garden.”

William bolted back in heading towards the back garden entrance. Justin followed. “What’s wrong?”

“I suspect foul play.”


Outside in a secluded corner of the park, William observed Wellington nearly groping Elisabeth who seemed slightly disoriented. “William is the sweetest. He wouldn’t. I feel slightly dizzy.”

That was all William needed to see. He grabbed the back of Wellington’s collar and viciously yanked him to the ground. Before a startled lord could do anything, William ferociously kicked his ribs. Wellington yowled in pain from the merciless attack.

During the entire attack, Justin watched in awe. Recently, he noticed changes in William but all for the better. First he noticed that William’s mood seemed cheerier and his disposition more outgoing. Next, he sensed a newfound boldness. The demonstration of violence proved it. When Elizabeth swayed slightly, Justin rushed over while William continued beating Wellington. Seeing Justin’s actions, William rushed over as well. “I think she’s been drugged.”

“Elisabeth, are you alright?” William put his arm around her shoulders and held her up.

“Just a little dizzy,” she whispered. “Are you in love with Cecily?”

“No,” he answered as he kissed her forehead.

Justin noticed some commotion from inside. It looked like some of Wellington’s buddies were on their way. “William, you need to take her and leave, through the garden this way.”

He noticed it as well. “What about you?”

“I’ll take care of things.” Justin rumpled his clothes and acted like he was just getting up as Wellington’s friends arrived. “Ruffians,” he gasped. “I tried to stop them.” He pointed to the way out of the garden, opposite to where William had gone.

After they followed the imaginary ruffians, Justin straightened his clothes and walked away. As he passed Wellington, his cane accidently poked Wellington in the stomach. “Sorry about that old chap,” he said and continued to walk away.


William carried Elizabeth t his carriage since she nearly stumbled most every step. Heath and Rose awaited them. “What happened to her?” Rose rushed and felt her forehead.

“She fainted from the heat. I think.” William knew accusing Wellington of slipping something into Elisabeth’s drink would not be believed. Moreover, it would only serve to make him look petty with an unproven accusation. William placed her in the carriage seat and climbed in next to her.

“William, I thought I lost you.” Elisabeth tried to wrap her arms around him and nearly climbed in his lap. “Don’t leave me.”

When he seated her in his lap all the way, Rose gasped. “That is most improper.”

“I don’t care.” Seeing the satisfied smile on Elizabeth’s lips and hearing her contented sigh as she rested her head on his shoulder, William wrapped his arms around her even tighter.

Despite Rose’s protests, William carried Elisabeth to her room and patiently waited outside her bedroom door while the maid helped her change. Once the maid emerged from her room, he entered but left the door open. Elisabeth slept soundly. Glancing around her room, William noted all the gifts from him had been placed on her vanity, the most cherished place in her room. *How could I have doubted her?*

When Rose stood at the door clearing her throat, William kissed Elisabeth’s forehead and left. With a final glance to his slumbering butterfly, he couldn’t help but want to always cherish her.


Chapter End Notes:
What did you think of William's actions? How about Justin?