Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all you wonderful reviewers. That's how fanfic writers are paid. The chapter title refers to an excellent movie.
Late Sunday morning, Elisabeth awoke refreshed and relieved that William had faith in her. Not long after she started talking to Wellington last night, she realized that William would not have toyed with her emotions. Before she could do anything, she felt strange and now she knew the reason she did was because Wellington slipped her something. *That bastard will pay.*

Revenge would come later because it was Sunday, her and William’s day. Elizabeth hurried and dressed. While she wore pants, she added a lacy white children’s dress that fit her like a shirt. *At least it’s somewhat feminine and I can still exercise.* No one bothered her since they were all at church so she grabbed some scones and a flask of tea.

When she arrived at their favorite red oak tree, William had already arrived and was spreading out a large blanket in the shade. “William!” she yelled as she ran towards him. Taking him by surprise, she threw her arms around his neck. “At first I believed Wellington but then I knew better. I’m so sorry.”

Forgetting propriety, he swung her around in a big hug. “Elisabeth, I shouldn’t have listened to him. I should have gotten to you sooner.”

“You saved me.” She kissed his cheek. “I was out of it. Did you really beat him up?”

“I acted a bit uncivilized.”

“Good,” she replied with a kiss to his other cheek. “I admire that.”

He set her down gently and scanned the area. “Our being alone here could ruin your reputation.”

“I don’t care.”

“Neither do I, except to protect you,” he conceded. “I promise not to take advantage.”

“I know.” She glanced down at the larger than normal basket he brought today. “You have something special planned.”

“I wanted to surprise you.”

“You always do such sweet romantic things for me and I can’t do anything for you.” She plopped down helped him unpack what turned out to be a minor feast.

“If you promise to always be mine, that’s all I need.” He glanced down almost nervous awaiting her answer to such a question.

“I promise.”

Once they finished unpacking, an elegant picnic of roast chicken with cream sauce, trifle and whiskey punch lay before them served on fine china. “This is amazing. I can’t believe you did all this. No one has ever done this for me. I love it.” While she couldn’t remember what she did, she knew it was more duty than frivolity. She fixed them plates of chicken.

“That’s quite the pity. You deserve such things.”

Elisabeth hungrily ate some chicken since she skipped breakfast. “William, promise me that we will always but honest with each other.”

“You have my word. I enjoy our honesty.” He poured them both some whiskey punch.

“You’re the only person I feel that way with.” She ate some of her chicken. “William, there are some things about me that you may not like, things that I haven’t told anyone.”

“You can tell me anything and it won’t change my feelings.” Seeing her staring down at her lap, he empathized. Few people knew about his poetry or radical ideas.

“Sometimes I feel like I don’t belong here; like I’m from somewhere else or some other time. I have these vivid dreams like I fight demons and I’m really strong and fast.” *Now he’s going to think I’m crazy and not be interested anymore.*

“Vivid dreams are a sign of an active imagination. I don’t think you’re a nutter.” William calmly resumed eating his chicken.

“Thank you for saying that.” *Was he just saying that?*

“I support child labor laws and women’s rights. Most folks would think I’m a nutter for all that. It could seriously affect the family business.” He handed her a small plate of trifle. “If I thought you were a nutter or I didn’t trust you, I wouldn’t have told you that now would I?”

“I guess not.” She enjoyed a bite of the fruit and cake mixture. “Soon you’ll be like Mr. Normal and they’ll be all cave people.” *How did I know that?*

“Maybe I’m not in the right time either,” he remarked as he laughed heartily. “What else can you tell me?”

“You’re all foo foo manners and all. That comes to an end, mostly.” When she said that, he looked offended. “But, I like how you treat me. Most guys are all about the grabby.”

“I’ll be sure to put an end to that. No man is allowed to take liberties with you.” He gathered the dishes while she poured more punch. “I have a surprise for you.” He removed a book from the basket. “I’m going to show you why Shakespeare isn’t so bad.” William leaned against the tree. “I found the perfect story for you. It’s called The Twelfth Night. It’s about a young woman who assumes the identity of her twin brother and so the comedy adventure begins.”

“A comedy sounds nice.” She rested her head on his shoulder.

“You’ll like the character of Viola. She’s a bold lady who shows the men that she is their equal while remaining a very feminine creature and Orsino accepts her. Oh and she dresses like a boy a lot.”

She tilted her head up to stare at his handsome smiling face. “Obvious much,” she commented.

For a moment, he contemplated her Americanism. “Understanding allegory is your first step.”

Elisabeth listened as he read and would explain bits of the story throughout to translate it for her. His deep dulcet tones and accent made her tingle. “Is that the end?”

“Only the end of the first section,” he replied.

“Time to burn off lunch,” she stated. Elisabeth kicked off her shoes and ran.

William followed her to the small lake where she splashed him several times. “Why don’t you splash back?”

“I’m trying to be a gentleman.”

She stuck her tongue at him only to get a tidal wave hurled at her. “I thought you were a gentleman.”

“I took a short recess.” He slid his spectacles into his pocket. With a giant leap, she tackled him with such force that he went under and so did she. Once the astonishment wore off, lust set in. He immediately ran towards their tree.

She followed. “What’s wrong?”

Blushing beet red, he handed her his vest. “Put this on,” he commanded.

She looked down to see her top had become very transparent. “Don’t you like what you see?”

“Very much so,” he answered. “No one else is allowed to see.” While she put on the vest, he turned. Nervously, he ran his hand through his damp hair making it curl more. “Before you said …more than friends. I know this is far too bold and too soon but I would like you to consider me to be more of a suitor.”

Suitor was considered a step before fiancé, more of a time for him to prove himself before a former proposal. During their time together, she found him to be a friend, best friend even and she certainly found him attractive. In this short span of time, she knew she felt the first stirrings of love. She circled around so she stood in front of him just inches away. “Yes,” she whispered. She tilted her chin up awaiting a glorious kiss.

William slid his fingers beneath her chin. Very slowly he brushed his lips against hers in a delicate kiss but she wanted more. That sweet kiss that stirred her promised so much more.

*He’s too polite and formal. He needs a stronger hint. I want real kissage!* “Is it true that poets possess a passion for life more than most people?”

William looked down trying to hide his blush. “I guess.”

“Then kiss me like you mean it.”

“I did. Actually, I’m taking far more liberties than what is considered acceptable.”

“I don’t care about acceptable or proper.” She motioned around them. “We’re all alone.” She stood before him shaking in anger. “I wore that dress last night just for you. I’ve given you hints. And….and….you’re a poet. You’re supposed to be passionate and you admitted it. But you kiss me like I’m your sister!” Elisabeth stormed around the tree away from him. She saw the lust that burned in William the moment he saw her wet shirt, the jealousy when other men danced with her and the rage with Wellington touching her. These damn rules of propriety that he couldn’t seem to break enraged her to the point that she came up with a rather devious plan.

William rounded the tree to join her. “Elisabeth please,” he pleaded.

“Don’t Elisabeth me! If you don’t give me a kiss that proves that you are just as passionate about me as you are about poetry.” Her fury boiled to the point that reason left her. “I’ll…..I’ll …visit Lord Wellington.” *Eewww, I didn’t just say that, Wellington absolutely not, especially after what he pulled.*

William’s blue eyes burned in fury. “You wouldn’t dare!”

She knew she almost had him and she pushed that button. “I’ll let him ravage my virginal body.” *Oh my God, did I just say that?* In that moment, she didn’t just crack William’s dam of decorum. She obliterated it.


Chapter End Notes:
Please R & R.