Author's Chapter Notes:
The title is Brit slang. Enjoy and please R&R.
Thinking about William, Elisabeth smiled as she decorated the window of Leveau’s Dress Shop. Instead of payment in money, they let her have some ribbons and silk flowers to create her own dressy hat, the perfect accompaniment to the pink and white dress she planned to wear on Sunday. Earlier that day she had received a note from William.

Dearest Elisabeth,

Please meet me at our spot on Sunday. I have a surprise for you. It would be best if you dressed like a lady.

Love always,
William
------------------------------------------------------------------

****Elisabeth blissfully awoke to the sun streaming through the curtains filtering through illuminating the handsome face of her lover. “William wake up,” she said sweetly. “Last night was amazing.”

“Every moment I have with you is amazing. I only wish our time together could be longer.” As he caressed her cheek, he kissed her tenderly. A wave of sadness passed over him as he got up and headed towards the door.

A foreboding feeling swept over Elisabeth. She ran after him through the endless corridor opening door after door but the rooms were empty. Nearly exhausted, she opened the last door to find a dungeon. A very tall man with brown hair and eyes glanced up at her. Another man hung from chains completely battered in tattered clothing. All she could see was the top of his light brown curly hair. “William,” she called.

“That’s not William.” The tall man’s forehead shifted into ridges and fangs jutted from his mouth. “You will never have William.”

The man on the wall lifted his head. For a moment, she saw the face of her William. Then the face of William shifted into a ridged forehead and his teeth grew into fangs. A wispy white light emanated from his chest and left it. The light took the form of William but encased in an angelic glow, the most beautiful sight she had ever seen.

The depth of love in William’s eyes touched her soul. “Know that I love you more than I have ever loved anyone or ever will. Because of you, I lost my fear and became who I always wanted to be. You truly are my happiness, my muse and my soul-mate.” Then he started to fade.

“William, I love you. You’re stronger than this. Please don’t go.”

“Remember me, my butterfly,” he whispered as he completely faded into oblivion.

Elisabeth felt the core of her being tearing into shreds at that moment. She couldn’t stop it no matter what she did. “NO!”****

Someone shook her. “Elisabeth wake up,” Rose pleaded. “You’re having a nightmare.”

Elisabeth looked around at her dimly lit room. All was normal except for the ominous feeling in the pit of her stomach. “Someone’s trying to hurt William. I have to go to him.”

“It’s three in the morning. You can’t go now. It’s …”

Before Rose could object further, Elisabeth grabbed a coat and bolted out the door. Running through the cobblestone streets with his card, she eventually found William’s home after a few wrong turns and cat calls from street thugs. Frantically, she banged on the door until a very burly man and a ruddy faced woman answered.

“Miss,” he said.

Elisabeth brushed past them. “William!” she shrieked. “William!”

A door opened upstairs and she heard someone running down the stairs. William rushed up to her and held her tightly. “Elisabeth, are you alright?” He cupped her face and studied her. “Has someone tried to harm you?”

“No, I had a horrible nightmare. There was this monster and….” She started sobbing.

“I won’t let anyone harm you.” He picked her up and carried her to his living room where he cradled her on the couch.

“He wasn’t trying to harm me. He was a vampire, all fangy and grrr. He turned you into one. You lost your soul then you were just all fangy and grrr. You weren’t William anymore.” Heaving sobs racked her body. “I lost you.”

“You won’t lose me. I promise.”

“You can’t stop it. I can’t stop it.” Elisabeth knew this for certain as if she’d seen it already happen. “I need you William. Please don’t leave me.”

“I won’t leave you.” William continued to hold her.

“You think I’m crazy, don’t you?”

“Well, I don’t believe in vampires but I believe in you. Maybe your dream is an allegory for a corruptive friend who takes me down a dark path. Tries to corrupt me, you think?”

That explanation made much more sense. “I guess so.”

“How about I promise not to let anyone corrupt me?”

“Sounds good,” she replied. *My William always keeps his promises.*

A little later the woman who was at the door brought a drink. “Here’s a hot toddy. You’ll feel better.”

Elisabeth sipped the strong lemony, clove flavored and slightly sweet drink. Soon her eyes grew heavy while clutched William’s linen nightshirt. Agnes tried to pry the sleeping girl’s fists open but couldn’t so William settled back against the couch with her in his arms. Agnes covered them with a light blanket before settling down in a chair in the corner of the room in order to give some sense decency to the matter.

-------------------------------------------------
The next morning Elisabeth awoke in William’s arms. Now she believed the dream had a deeper meaning and didn’t take it at face value just like William said. Slow steady breathing and a rhythmic heartbeat thudding beneath her ear let her know that William remained William for now. Further, she realized that she was exactly where she wanted to be. Unable to resist, she ran her fingers through his tousled curly hair. “Elisabeth,” he moaned. Then she felt him stiffen. Slowly her hand slid beneath his open nightshirt to feel taught chest muscles and down until she could almost touch.

Someone cleared their throat out of sight behind them. “We can fix you up with some of Mrs. Pratt’s clothing. Afterwards, you can have some breakfast.”

William opened his eyes and smiled but shifted slightly to keep his morning glory from touching her. Elisabeth blushed and bolted from the couch.
-----------------------------------------------------

Upstairs, Elisabeth did as the older woman directed. “Is William angry with me?”

“Oh heavens no,” Agnes replied. “He could never be cross with you. He didn’t mind comforting you at all.”

“Really,” she said as she combed her hair.

“William has a giving nature. One day when he has a family of his own he’ll be a very nurturing father. It’s unusual in a man.”

Elisabeth had to agree with that.
------------------------------------------
Once she dressed, Elisabeth joined William for eggs Benedict. “Thanks for dealing with coo coo girl last night.”

William translated for a moment. “It’s my pleasure.” He chuckled at her outfit. “You may want to go home and change. Having you dressed like my mother wouldn’t do for my plans today.”

“Not down with the Oedipus,” she remarked.

“Not at all,” he agreed.

-----------------------------------------------
After breakfast Elisabeth went home to clean up and dress, she assured Rose that she was fine but needed a nap. Apparently William sent word that she was well and properly escorted. Once Heath and Rose left for church, she wore her lacey pink and white dress with matching hat that she designed to the park.

At the park, an orchestra played in the gazebo covered bandstand area. Several folks gathered together readying for a festival. William awaited her beneath their tree wearing a beige and brown suit and hat to match. When he saw her he kissed her hand and offered his arm. “You look quite fetching today.”

“Thank you and you’re yummy yourself,” she replied taking his arm.

He escorted her to a small boat and rowed them across the lake to one of the tiny islands. Once he helped her out of the skiff, he handed her a blind fold. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes,” she answered while she tied it around her eyes.

After a brief and shaky walk, he removed the blind fold to find herself beneath a canopied tree. Several pastel bows and other decorations including tiny cupids, hearts and butterflies were tied around the branches and overhangs. A small elegant picnic area had been set-up in corner. Across the lake the orchestra played. “This is the most romantic thing ever.”

William offered his hand to dance. Beneath the canopy, they danced close. Afterwards, they sat down on the picnic cloth to eat lobster and drink champagne. Elisabeth wanted this moment to last forever.

William took her hand and looked into her eyes. “Elisabeth you are my soul-mate and I want to be with you forever. Please do me the honor of becoming my wife.” Then he removed a small jewelry box from his pocket. Within a gold ring with four diamonds arranged to form a delicate butterfly atop glistened in the sunlight.

Deep down Elisabeth knew she wasn’t meant to marry or have a family. Instead, she was meant to die young, a warrior’s death. No one gave her the choice. Everyone treated her like a weapon. That is what her dreams told her. However, now before her the man of her dreams offered her what she couldn’t have but she feared she couldn’t give him what he wanted most.

“No,” she replied breaking down into tears.