Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello there! I'm late, I know, but RL has took a big chunk out of my writing time. I hope people are still reading this.

I want to thank all of you guys for reviewing the last chapter! Means ALOT.

Now, for the news: The previous chapter has been fixed with the help of a very talented writer Behind Blue Eyes. You should go back and see it for yourselves, how much better it all sounds. It might even help you understand some things better. (Thank you again, D. - for all your help! You did an awesome job!)

This chapter continues, where the last one left off - with The Kiss. And this time a bit from Spike's POW... I hope you enjoy... because the next chapter that follows will not be as easy.

the dance mentioned in this chapter does exist.

And again - grammar faults are mine alone. Point them out to me if you wish - I still learn writing in this language as i go. :)

The banner was created by the talented Vette - thank youthankyouthankyou again!
Chapter 10 – Lips of Thorns







She was standing there by the broken tree.

Her hands were all twisted, she was pointing at me.

I was damned by the light coming out of her eyes.

She spoke with a voice that disrupted the sky,

She said ‘Come on over to the bitter shade,

I will wrap you in my arms and you'll know you've been saved’,

Let me sign, let me sign, can't fight the devil so just let me sign…


- Let Me Sign, Written by Marcus Foster and Bobby Long









Spike knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.



He felt anger at first, watching her defiance and disrespect toward him, which he was really not used to see in all his life as a nobleman. It drove him bloody mad.



But it soon turned into something else as he looked at her, really looked. And it stunned him speechless.



All of the dreams he had had of Buffy Summers, since he’d seen her for the first time, were threading and twining into one little slip of the girl that stood in front of him in flesh and bones, and not in wisps of slippery imagination. So it was really no wonder that he could not have stopped himself and just gawk at her, listening.



What he saw now was fire. She was blazing before him. Her tongue was lashing at him with a frustrated anger, dousing his in the process. All of it was making her eyes shine with green light, burning, and already consuming his soul.



Spike could have died laughing at the things his mind spoke of, like a bloody poet he felt himself being, when in truth he was anything but.



But he could not have made himself to look away.



She drew nearer and nearer as she spoke, fearlessly all of a sudden, taking his breath away with the heat that radiated from her. However could he have stopped himself? He was but a man after all…



A man, who, no matter how much he tried to resist it, was bewitched all over again..., all he saw was a golden-haired woman, his captive, who was accused of doing horrible things, yet he hadn’t ever seen such fire in anyone before. Not on Court, where people wore masks, always covering their demons, remaining two-faced. Not even among his peasants, people working on his lands, which were bowing and crawling before him in fear and acted humility, yet despising their Master once his back was turned.



But she…? She glowed from inside, not afraid what her actions would bring, what punishment awaited her in his hands for her one bold move she had made tonight. Like a gambler who risked it all, she was. And he really hadn’t expected it.



Her behavior just now could reflect an animal, trapped and cornered, who’d finally decide it had enough and fought for its freedom, no matter if it could mean death. It would be freedom all the same.



But no. it was not like that. He could see it in her eyes that it was her free spirit that spoke those words, not in desperation, but in conviction. As if she was always like this before she’d been imprisoned. Her spirit might have felt caged in shock of being locked up, but it had finally awoken again, lending her the power to speak up.



Spike wished he could have seen her out there, no walls surrounding her to hinder the flames of her nature.

Their breaths mingled together, she was that close. Had she planned this? He could see the straws of hay tangled in her hair. Little freckles upon her nose. Her eyes wide open, glaring at him. He could have chuckled. But he didn’t.



Instead, Spike balled his fists, but not in sign of violence, more like in a restraining motion for his fingers that itched to touch her. To slide them into her hair and pluck out the offending straws from her locks, and feel their silkiness, rolling them between his digits. To feel the hot skin of her cheeks…



Again, he felt like a soddin’ poet, so he kicked the rousing poncy side of himself in the groin, and went back to the task that awaited him – literally – at hands.



He hadn’t needed the answers he set out to question her about earlier anymore. He believed her desperate words. Actually, he felt quite foolish, that it was the dream he’d had to make him finally see. It was that thoughtless elation he’d felt when he thought they’d gotten somewhere in this case, and it made him bloody blind.



There was other thought in his mind that prevailed just now, and it was asking him if he were sure, if he really wanted to touch the sun in front of him, when he knew he would burn like a dried up twig from one single lick of her flame… Poets of the land beware, Spike thought quite humorlessly.



When she looked at him that way, like she was confused, her head tilted slightly, unconsciously leaning toward him, he decided he would do both the things. He would make sure if she spoke the truth, just to make sure, and he had to feel her even closer, feel her against him, her soft lips…



He felt her stiffen for a moment as he brought her closer, then their chests were touching intimately,… and he could hold it no longer...



So he kissed her.



He was but a man after all, a man that seemed to be left out in the cold for far too long in the past, and now desperately wished for that spark inside him to last longer…



Spike leaned his head slightly, and pressed another tiny kiss upon the hard line of her lips, not moving away until they softened beneath his. He felt her hands clutching at his waist now. Reluctantly, he opened his eyes to see that hers were closed; her thick eyelashes were resting upon her cheek, covering tired shadows he knew resided there…



She was so beautiful. And warm… and smelled of hay and wild flowers, not at all of the filth surrounding them.



If she was a witch… but he knew now that she was not, so it was no point in thinking about it any longer, or think about what if’s.



It was not nearly as important as… this. The feel of her… God. How long was it since he had a woman like this in his arms? It felt like centuries.



Before he could’ve closed his eyes and prolonged the kiss, she opened them; they were glazed over in rapture… that is, until she saw him as if for the first time.



She gasped, but before he could use it to his advantage and his tongue could explore the moist cavern of her mouth, she pushed him away. They parted with a loud sucking sound.



Spike stumbled backwards in surprise, not expecting the little strength she’d put behind her push.



‘’Oh, God…’’ she whispered in a tiny voice and covered those beautiful lips of hers with a hand. Her cheeks were blushing deep red, just as her eyes were big and moist, holding surprise and - he was ashamed to admit – even fear.



Christ, what has he done now? This was not what he had set out to do. He had bloody well attacked the poor bird; and even if she’d have liked it… she did like it, right?



Only, when he watched her, he saw the damage he’s made.



She shook all over, backing away from him, until she could move no more, her back was pressed to the stone wall of the cell, her gaze never leaving his. It was as if she were waiting for something to explode. Most probably his anger, though he felt anything but.



The power, to which she held on to before, deflated. Died out.



Spike felt like he was slapped by it all, and realized yet again, that she was not guilty. For such a cunning and slippery murderer, that she was accused of being, she was too innocent. She could have used this kiss to her advantage, let him explore it further, but she had not done so. Instead, she pushed him away when she could have sold her body for freedom. He’d be damned if this was not one of her first kisses too… for such a fiery minx, this was a rather shocking discovery.



And she was not guilty. Not of those abominable sins, but of another.



She somehow stole his heart without him even knowing…



Bloody hell! With one little barely-there kiss? How desperate are you, mate?



Spike squashed the panic rising inside him down; he knew that kiss had little to do with that. They barely spoke, never saw each other before all this soddin’ mess, and she was one of the poor. Clearly not a match made to be had. He felt terribly attracted toward her, that much was true, but that just might be it. One little fiery conversation only… well, she hadn’t stolen his heart, not yet.

But maybe his attention?



Yes, that she had it all.



Spike cursed his stupidity. He always seemed to rush things. Assume things too quickly.



Shuddering breaths broke through his thoughts. He refocused on Buffy once more. He drew in a calming breath. Trying to make the scared young woman feel at ease with him, he made a few steps closer, but stopped at hearing her first frightened whimper. She had her eyes tightly shut and her hands were clutching her torn bodice together so tightly, her knuckles gleamed white in torchlight.



‘’I am not going to hurt you, kitten,’’ he soothed, though his voice sounded strange.



She hadn’t relaxed at his words, neither did he expected it of her to do so. Something in his chest tightened again, just like it did a day before, seeing her face watching the soldiers carrying away Anya, and he realized of what it meant now. He hated seeing her so afraid, of him even.



‘’I promise, pet.’’



He stepped toward her once more, the straw was crunching beneath his boots, but he had no time in placing this metaphor anywhere near this situation. He had done it before, yes, but this one girl does not deserve to suffer under his hand.



‘’Kitten?’’



This time she opened her eyes, watching his slow progress with unshed tears brimming. He felt like a hunter, cornering his prey, and for the first time in his life, he hated that feeling. When he stretched his hand toward her, she slid down the wall and sat in the hay, looking defeated up at him before she bowed her head. Her hands loosened from the tight grip she had on her bodice.



How had her bodice end up being torn anyway?



Spike’s eyes went wide. His stomach dropped and he could slap himself all over again.



‘’No, don’t think that, kitten, I shan’t hurt you. Not anymore, and not even that… way… ‘’ Spike felt disgusted at himself, and horrified at the same time. Some memory tried to force itself back at the front of his mind, but he held it back vehemently. He was not prepared to relive it yet, even if the image from the past seemed to come alive again, right before his eyes… and place itself in a girl cowering from him in the present.



‘’I…’’ His voice shook a little when the blonde mane before him darkened into ones of a coal-like hue… he closed his eyes tightly and then reopened them. The image was gone. But she was still there.



‘’I am a bad, rude man, but never a rapist…’’ he crouched before the frightened blonde, and with a finger, he lifted her chin gently, leveling their eyes. She closed them, causing a tear to escape from under her lids and make a long, silvery line across her cheek. He used his thumb to wipe it off. It was not under these circumstances that he imagined to touch her. ‘’I am deeply sorry for the way I have forced myself upon you. I shan’t do it again, Buffy, I swear. I believe that you are innocent. And I never touch the innocents, rather protect them, I do.’’



She opened her eyes then. A frown was clear on her face for him to see, she was obviously confused by his admission. She hadn’t asked of him to explain it to her though. She only nodded. Hope was shining upon hearing the word ‘innocent’. More tears came.



‘’You rest now, and we shall talk once you wake up. I cannot do anything just now without any witnesses.’’



‘’Why would you not let me go? If you believe me?’’ her voice was quiet, hesitant.



‘’You have been accused of sins, far too greater than just thievery, kitten. I have no such power in my hands to pardon you of those accusations.



‘’But, ‘’ he quickly continued when she opened her mouth to argue. ‘’I promise you this, pet, I shall do everything that is in my power, to help you get out of this, for I know you are not the one to be blamed here.’’



Spike bowed his head in shame at the memories of how harshly he’d dealt with her in the past, a few minutes ago even… not at all nobly-like. His Mother would be horrified. ‘’I know it now, kitten.’’





-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.





Buffy felt lightheaded.



The first feel of his lips upon hers came as a shock. But then there came another… and she could not have helped herself to do anything but relax at the gentleness she hadn’t felt in a long time, ever since her mother had died.



The woman, who brought her the blanket tonight, was kind, and so was young Andrew, but there is no comparison whatsoever to a gentle touch that body craved for desperately for so long. No comparison in the feel of warmth spreading from her lips to her heart like a slowly blooming flower.



She had to grip at something, or she’d swoon from the sensation. She felt like the world was slipping away, because it felt nothing like that slobbery kiss that Abram Parker surprised her with all those years ago, when she had her Mother alive, and all the time in the world to dream.



Lips caressing hers now were soft, and warm and not even a bit icky with saliva…



After an eternity she felt had passed, Buffy had to open her eyes, to see if she was still alive, or maybe unconscious. Or in heaven. It took some time before all of it came back to her and she realized where she was and… with whom.



She pushed him.



Hard.



Then panicked, because she refused…



After that, it all happened in a horror-filled blur. She was sucked back into that unholy place in the woods, where that man had… and she thought that this man would do it too, not knowing she had nothing left to give.



But he was crouching before her now, and gently brushing the tears from her cheeks that she hadn’t even realized were falling, and talking to her in a reproachful, soothing tone…



And did he just mention that he believed she was innocent?



Oh.



Buffy did not, however, understand why he could not just let her go if he believed her. He tried to explain it to her, he did, but her mind refused to understand anything just now.



‘’P-please, my Lord, I cannot stay here… not any longer, please…’’



She was ashamed, that she was openly crying now before him, but the relief she felt… and that he believed… But the walls were smothering her, choking her, pressing down on her, and she could not bear it much longer.



‘’I am sorry, kitten, I really am. But the actions of the murderer had reached the King’s ear, and he had sent his Church Council as soon as he got the news of me catching the responsible person for those horrible acts.’’



‘’W-will they come soon? A-and let me go when they see I-I am n-not the one to be b-blamed here?’’ She could hardly speak through sobs.



‘’Yes, I promise you I shall do everything in my power to see to it that you are to be released. I am sorry, however, for I cannot make your… stay here, any more comfortable. The Council is strict and would not receive well any favoritism of mine shown toward you. You are to be trialed before witnesses. I cannot stop them from what they have been sent out to do.’’



He must have seen her worried face then, because he was quick to reassure her. ‘’Not to worry, kitten, there are no evidences against you. Not now that I see how wrong I was. They point out toward you, yes, but do not seem to be real. All I have to do is make them all see it too’’ He paused for a moment, and then sighed. ‘’After all this is over, I am going to ask of you, if you could help me by answering some things… I need to know who the real killer is.’’



‘’Yes. I will help. Thank you for… for believing me, Lord Rayne.’’



He left her to get some sleep after that. She understood that he could not give her any comfort, but she could survive a few more days. Just a few more days… in the mean time, she had a blanket, surrounded by the hay that served as a nest. But nothing kept her warmer than his words of promise, and the fact that he believed her…



Maybe he was an angel after all, Buffy thought, when her eyes closed and she fell into a dreamless slumber.



-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.





‘’Your daughter is safe, Drusilla. You are not to be worried about her wellbeing any longer. The King had assigned her to a new family, as you very well know it already.’’



‘’Into what new family, sister dear?’’ sneered Drusilla at the other woman. ‘’A family with enough fortune? Childless family? Given to a woman which womb is fruitless and barren like a desert, and cannot bare the children of her own?’’



Jenny saw a flicker of insanity in her sister’s eyes and could not help but to flinch at where this conversation is going. The sneer on the other woman grew wider, malicious with her next words. She had seen the obvious hurt on Jenny’s face, so she moved in for the painful kill.



‘’ Maybe… Into your family, perhaps? Tsk, tsk, Jenny. You thought you could steal my child to play mummy with, just because your womb is too weak to carry your own? I am going to be so very cross with you, if that happens to be true.’’



‘’Drusilla, for the love of God, hold your tongue. I have not stolen Faith from you, nor do I have her. It was the King’s command that had her taken away from you. Not mine.’’ Jenny tried to reason with her sister. ‘’You had not been well, ever since your husband had died. It was only done in your own good. You… you had hurt the girl, my sister. Cannot you see it was all done for the good of the poor child? Are you not happy to know that Faith is safe?’’



‘’Hush now, you wicked one. I hurt. I want to see her. She is mine and belongs to me, not to any other. I did not hurt my sweet little dove. The knife was there, it was. She, she…’’



Jenny was at a loss when her sister started to pull at her hair absently while low humming voice started in her throat. Her eyes turned glassy and unfocused.



Then a shadow covered them both.



‘’Excuse me, Ladies. I was only wondering, if Lady Giles would not mind me stealing her companion of course, could Lady Bathory do me the honors and accept the invitation for a dance?’’



Jenny looked up at the tall, bulky man standing before them, obscuring the light. He had a sort of nervous expression on his face while he watched the actions of Drusilla. He obviously came to take her away. ‘’Lord O’Connor. Angelus, what a pleasant surprise is seeing that you too had come back on Court.’’ She nodded in greeting as did he. ‘’I do not mind you asking my sister to dance. I have the fortune in seeing another to keep me company while you dance. So if you’ll excuse me.’’



She curtsied, and quickly walked along the edge of the dance floor filled with people dancing the Pavane, evading the very loud and still very drunk Lady Glory.



She saw Darla walking about and longed to talk to her some more before she retires for the night. All the sharp reminders Drusilla had thrown at her, mentioning her unfortunate state, hurt her deeply. What kind of woman cannot bare the child to her husband after all? She felt exhausted, and in desperate need of her friend.



‘’Darla, my dear!’’



The other woman turned around in surprise. Then her smile bloomed. ‘’Jenny!’’ The blonde looked around quickly and then asked, ‘’Where on earth did Drusilla go? I thought you two… talked? Better yet, how did you escape her long claws?’’ she winked at Jenny who started to laugh.



‘’Oh, she was at a brink of another insanity when her not-so-secret lover snatched her away. To dance, if you can believe it.’’



‘’Well, they are not here, so they had to be planning on another form of dance, and I cannot believe I just said that!’’ Darla blushed.



Jenny smothered a laugh, then rescued her friend by changing the topic. ‘’Guess who I saw just now. I thought she’d be sleeping under the table somewhere or maybe that the servants would lead her to bed all wobbly-like. She’s right there,’’ she said, and pointed toward the sleepy looking Lady at the other end of the ballroom.



Darla snickered. ‘’Oh yes. While you had your pleasant conversations, I tried to evade her as much as I could. God, how much wine could that woman handle?’’



‘’Oh, she is so very depressed, you see, while you were away, so many things happened, you would not believe!’’



‘’Do tell me. You know I’m in much need of a good gossip. Lady Kendall was of not much use to me a few minutes ago. You can imagine how long it takes before the woman gets to the point…’’



‘’Oh, I know. I’m surprised you even spoke to her in the first place. And about Glory no less. They are such rivals, I’m surprised she could mention her name at all.’’



‘’She did, as a matter of fact.’’ Darla paused and then leaned to whisper her friend in her ear quietly. ‘’She mentioned her name quite often in between… bitch from hell who pretends to be goddess, stealing her man…’’



Both of the women crossed themselves seriously. Before ducking their heads in between shoulders and burst into laugh. They quickly covered their mouth with their fans, when old Ladies Arianne and Fauna looked their way, grumbling something under their breaths.



It only served in making two friends laugh some more. They did move further aside at some point, when they finally get to control themselves properly, and Jenny had some more shocking news to tell.



‘’Haven’t you heard, Darla? Glory was dismissed from His Majesty’s bed… he does not even look upon her any more. Instead, he chose to flirt with Harmony… You can imagine what a bitter poor thing Glory must have turned into while you were away.’’



‘’You don’t say!’’ Darla’s eyes got huge with suppressed excitement over such juicy news. God, but she really did miss the Court.



The rest of the evening flew by with two friends sticking their heads together, whispering gossips, their words drowned out by the sounds of happy drums and flute.



-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.





Hour was late, when Lord and Lady Ethan Rayne finally prepared to bed.



Darla snuggled into her husband’s side while he held her tightly. ‘’Ethan, my love?’’



‘’Mmm?’’



‘’Have you delivered the letter of our son to His Majesty?’’



‘’I did, my sweet.’’



Darla sensed the perkiness in her husband’s voice all of a sudden. Intrigued, she encouraged him to continue. ‘’Well? Did it please his Majesty?’’



‘’His Majesty the King, was delighted by the news of capture, and has also told me that my son William was to be rewarded once his work was finished on his estate. He invited him to Court.’’ Ethan snickered quietly. ‘’If you could only see the look on Giles’s face, my dear…’’







TBC...



Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked reading... would you mind to review before you go? *bats her eyes*