Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello all! First off, I want to thank all those that voted for me at the SunnyD Memorial Fanfiction. Without you, my winning wouldn’t have been possible. Thank you! Secondly, big congrats to Sanityfair for winning best beta! She soooo deserved it!!!! Thirdly, I hope everyone is still with me. I know things seem to be moving slowly, but there is a method to my madness I assure you. All will be revealed. However, I feel that, especially with matters of the heart, things have to run its course. I'm not one to push a story along just for the sake of pushing it along. I find it important to lay the necessary groundwork so when everything comes to a head it’ll make sense. Hopefully this clarified things and you will continue reading. Lastly, I want to give a big thanks to some lovely ladies. Thanks to my betas Sanityfair and Diebirchen. Also big thanks to capella42 for my amazing banner! Now, get to reading!
“It is ever the invisible that is the object of our profoundest worship. With the lover it is not the seen but the unseen that he muses upon.”

Christian Nevell Bovee


Will had been staring at the blinking cursor on his computer screen for what felt like hours. After he’d handed Buffy her hot chocolate, he’d gone to his study. He’d been there since.

He had a deadline to meet. Well, actually he’d had several deadlines to meet. However, each deadline came and went with no work to show for it. His agent had been on his arse to give her an outline for his new book. However, despite all her demands, they’d never inspired the words to appear on the screen. On the contrary, her constant harping only made Will’s muse even more elusive, which in turn pissed him off all the more, and made writing that much harder.

It used to be so easy back when he and Buffy rented a squalid two-room apartment and lived on meager rations of boxes of mac and cheese and hot dogs. Back when they barely had a pot to piss in, never mind a window to throw it out of. This was when, regardless of everything they had to go without, their love and passion always remained strong.

During this time, words just randomly came to him. He could be taking a shower, washing dishes, or anything else equally mundane, and they flooded his mind. That’s how his first book came to him. Before that, he’d never considered himself a writer. Yeah, he wrote lyrics and the occasional poem, but those never consisted of anything longer than a paragraph or two or lasted over four minutes when accompanied by music.

So initially, when the words started rambling through his mind that night, he thought after he’d written them down, his muse would be done with him. However, despite what he thought, it seemed this time his muse had other plans. She kept him on the same task for six months straight. When he wasn’t working, his hand was scribbling away furiously on anything lying around that could be written on.

Will cursed the taunting, pulsating marker once more before standing and heading toward the window. He released the lock and lifted it up several inches. The cold air rushed in and brushed against the exposed skin of his forearms, instantly causing the hairs there to rise.

He dropped himself into his favorite battered recliner facing the window and slid his hand between the worn cushion and the arm of the chair, pulling out a hidden pack of cigarettes.

It had been years earlier when he’d promised Buffy he would quit. Even though they haven’t been living together for almost a year he, out of habit, still hid packs around the house. He knew Buffy knew he was still smoking, but since he was trying to quit and didn’t smoke as much as he had in the past, she seemed to overlook the occasional fag here and there.

Placing a slightly bent cancer-stick between his lips, he pulled his Zippo from the front pocket of his denims, flicked the flame on, and placed it to the end of the cigarette. Then he took in a deep drag. The smoke burned his throat and lungs, but the rush of the nicotine made it all worthwhile. He released a steady stream of smoke through his nostrils and watched the hazy cloud disperse in the air while his mind wandered.



Six years ago


“Why are you resemblin’ a chicken with its head cut off, luv? It’s only a Halloween party. You're not meetin’ the bloody Queen of England.”

Despite his teasing words, Will’s lustful and intense gaze remained on his wife as she rushed around their combo bedroom/living room.

She didn’t spare him a glance as she placed the finishing touches to her make-up. With a final stroke of the mascara wand, she turned and headed toward the closet to retrieve the shoes she’d decided on for the evening. Using the wall for balance after sliding one three-inch, black stiletto on, she slid her foot into the other.

Once finished, she had noticed Will still hadn’t moved an inch from where he’d originally lain down after his shower. Buffy heaved a heavy sigh and turned toward him.

She noticed his gaze instantly zeroed in on her corset-covered chest or more specifically to the swell of her breast spilling over the top of said corset. Buffy cleared her throat loudly in order to get his attention. Will ogled for several more moments before breaking his stare. Finally, his gaze rose to meet hers.

“Will, it’s not just a Halloween party. It's opening night at Faith’s bar. She’s been working double shifts at the diner for years now trying to save up enough money for this place, and I wanted us to be the first people there.”

“It’s in a shady part of LA, luv. I bet the cops will be the first people there.”

“Ha, ha, very funny. Now, Mr. Comedian, get up and get dressed.” Buffy turned back to the mirror and began braiding her left pigtail with agile fingers.

“You know I hate all this dress up stuff. Well, let me reiterate: I hate this dress up stuff for Halloween. When you dress up like a Catholic schoolgirl or a naughty nurse, it is far from my idea of hating. Speaking of which, if I may say, this outfit you’re wearin’ may be my new favorite.”

Will’s gaze raked over Buffy’s backside. His eyes lingered on the tiny skirt barely covering the swell of her ass and patiently waited for her to move just right to flash him one pert cheek.

After she finished the second braid, she turned from the mirror. The small skirt of her Little Red Riding Hood costume began swishing side to side from her movement.

“What do you mean? You're not even dressing up! You’re wearing what you always do!” Buffy motioned to the pile of clothes, of a black cotton tee shirt and jeans, lying at the foot of the bed.

“Oi,‘m dressing up!”

“Will, wearing plastic fangs is not dressing up.”

“It’s more than I’ve ever worn on this soddin’ night, isn’t it?”

Buffy, knowing that this was true, relented. He did buy a pair of vampire fangs in order to appease her. She had to give him credit where credit was due. As she spoke, now with a softened tone, she eyed his lounging form.

“So tell me, what are you going as anyway?"”

“’m the Big Bad. You can’t be Little Red without the Big Bad.”

“If I remember correctly it was a wolf, not Billy Idol with plastic fangs, who was the baddie in that fairytale.”

Buffy always teased him about stealing his look from Billy Idol. When she did this, he feigned being hurt and in turn brought out the big guns—the pout. In typical fashion, after eyeing his protruding bottom lip, she’d instantly felt compelled to make amends—with a kiss.

After several moments in a heated lip-lock, Buffy knew if she didn’t end their kiss now they would never get to the party. She pulled away slightly, breaking their kiss while trying to extract herself from his arms, which he’d looped around her legs.

Unfortunately, he had other plans. He held onto her tightly as he’d raised himself into a kneeling position. Once he repositioned his arms around her waist, he began peppering kisses and small nips along the column of her throat, causing her thoughts of pulling away to waver.

“Mmm…My, my what a lovely cock I have, all the better to shag you with, my dear.” Will’s voice, resembling a purr, sounded in her ear triggering her to shudder with pleasure.

Buffy felt her resolve slipping away. While his talented mouth teased her sensitive flesh, the towel once wrapped around his waist fell away, and his “lovely cock” brushed against her bare upper thighs. She was almost done for. Will always had a way to make her putty in his hands and turn her brain to complete mush.

Her sexual haze lifted slightly when she felt his deft fingers searching and grabbing the zipper of her costume. She took this opportunity to slip from his arms.

Buffy quickly backed away several steps and watched Will’s heated gaze following her, like a lion tracking its prey. He grinned mischievously and wagged his eyebrows as he sat back and unfurled his bent legs. He placed his feet on the floor and with a feline grace, stood and slowly began stalking toward her.

“No use, Little Red, this Big Bad is goin’ to eat… you… all…up.”

She knew by the look in his eyes, she was going to get it and good. That in itself was not the problem. The problem was this type of good usually ended up with torn clothing and, one time, broken furniture.

Buffy put up her hands, trying to stop his pursuit—at least momentarily. She spoke quickly knowing she only had a small window of time before he pounced on her. Once that happened, she knew all thoughts and logic were going to go bye-bye.

“Um, before the Big Bad, um, eats me, there have to be some ground rules.”

Despite how passionate and at times down right kinky they were, she still blushed when talking dirty to him. He always found this absolutely adorable. Curiosity at hearing her words stopped his advancement long enough to question what she meant.

“What type of ground rules?”

“One, there will be no tearing of clothing of any kind. This is a renter and I have to return it in one piece.”

“Right, I won’t tear into my present like a kid on Christmas day. Gotcha, and the others?” After a thoughtful pause, she shrugged her shoulders.

“I think that’s it, just the one ru—“

Will, seeing her shrugging as a green light, rushed forward and quickly pulled her into his embrace. He silenced the remainder of her words with a passionate kiss.

He had kept true to his word. The costume remained intact. However, she couldn’t say the same about the thong that he’d found under her frilly bloomers.

Unfortunately, the promise Buffy had given to Faith, for them being the first people at the grand opening of her bar, was not.

It was that night when his muse really gripped his mind, as he sat at the bar nursing his beer. She’d started earlier in the evening with random whispering of such words as temptress and majestic, while Buffy sat astride his lap. Her braids bouncing in time with her steady rise and fall as she rode him in utter perfection.

Now, as he watched Buffy’s hips swaying in time with the blaring music courtesy of Faith’s band, Five by Five, the muse’s words were loud and clear. Compelling him to act. Unable to ignore her words any longer, Will caught the bartender’s attention and asked him for a pile of napkins and a pen.

Once he had them, he began scribbling away. For most of the night, this filled his time. However, in spite of the muse’s tight hold on him, there were times during the night he’d ignored her, as he’d let Buffy lure him out onto the dance floor.

He loved how their bodies fit together perfectly. It didn’t matter what type of dance, they always instinctually found a rhythm that made them move as one.

By the end of the night, his hand was cramping and stained with ink. When the house lights came up, Will compiled over fifty napkins full of notes and started shoving them into his pockets while Faith’s brash announcement, “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here!” echoed throughout the bar.

After Will and Buffy said their goodbyes to Faith and their other friends still hanging around for an after-after-hours party, the pair caught a cab and headed home.

As the cab pulled from the curb, Buffy’s mouth was on his as she boldly straddled his lap. Will, conscious of the prying eyes of the driver, pulled the sides of his leather up and surrounded the precious bundle grinding against him.

Ten minutes later, the cab stopped abruptly, before a gruff voice announced they were at their apartment. Giving Buffy a moment to shift her corset back into place, Will lowered his coat and moved in order to give her enough room to get out of the cab. Noticing the driver’s wandering eyes to his wife’s assets, he shoved the wad of cash in his line of vision before sliding out and slamming the door behind him.

His foul mood from the bastard eyeing his wife quickly dissipated once he caught sight of her hips swaying seductively as she walked toward their building’s front door.

They were barely inside their apartment, when they were on each other once more. This time, he wasn’t able to keep his promise. Gratefully, the rip was small and an easy fix.

After an hour of mind-bending kisses and caresses, he entered her with a tedious slowness that triggered her orgasm instantly. His pace was unhurried and deep, and with her third climax, he joined her over the edge of bliss.

In the early morning light, he'd awakened with her head pillowed on his chest and her soft snores greeting him. He placed a chaste kiss to her crown, before reluctantly pulling himself from her embrace. A small frown creased her brow, but following a soft kiss to her forehead and his whispered, “Love you,” it disappeared.

Before walking toward the kitchen area, Will pulled on his favorite flannels and headed to where his duster lay. He pulled out the pile of napkins out of his pocket and began sorting through them. With his eyes still fixed on the words, he pulled out the stool at the breakfast bar and plopped himself down. Slowly, he began spreading the bits of paper on the countertop, trying to make sense of them. This is where Buffy found him several hours later after she’d woken up alone.

For the next six months, the breakfast bar was where she would find him. It didn’t matter what time of day or night, when he wasn’t working or spending time with her, he was writing.


Present

Will broke from his memories once he felt the heat from the tip of the rapidly dwindling cigarette warming his fingers. He dropped the butt into the remainder of the cold coffee left at the bottom of his mug. The short-lived hissing announced the liquid had quickly extinguished it. With a heavy sigh, Will compared the cigarette’s snuffed fire to how his carelessness had snuffed out the fire that once burned brightly in his life, as he sat before the blank screen, once again determined to write.





Chapter End Notes:
Even though I love this story overall, this particular chapter is one of my favorites. Let me know whatcha think.