Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey, look, another one! I'm so glad that people are enjoying this story as much as I'm enjoying writing it. Big love to my amazing betas: Sanityfair and Diebirchen! Love you ladies!

“Mere bashfulness without merit is awkwardness”

Joseph Addison




Once the pair headed inside and closed the door behind them, they silently began removing their outerwear. The only sounds heard through the room were the lowering of zippers, Buffy’s sodden gloves plopping on the floor, and her relieved sighs as the warmth of the house starting to thaw out her numb body parts. After each offending piece of cold, wet clothing was gone, they stood near one another, neither sure what to do next. After several moments of awkward silence, Will turned toward her and tried starting a conversation.

“So—“

“So—“

Echoing her response, Will struggled trying to think of something more to say, but nothing would come. The uneasiness he felt between them earlier was now gone. Strangely, what had replaced it, there seemed to be only one word that came to his mind to best describe it—nervousness. Will remembered feeling the same way the first time he asked a girl out on a date or shopped for condoms. Thankfully, these first-time unnerving situations happened years apart.

Knowing that if he didn’t say something quickly, he was going to go crazy from the silence, he took a deep breath and pushed forward.

“Um—yeah, so, do you want somethin’ to drink? Some hot tea or maybe even somethin’ a little harder? I have that frilly drink mix you like. I could whip you one up. Sorry, but I’m out of the littl’ umbrellas you like. Hey, we even could go all out. I could throw another log on, and we can pretend that we’re someplace tropical.”

Smooth, real smooth. Soddin’ git! Will hoped the expression on his face didn’t look as pathetic as he knew he sounded.

While he spoke, Buffy watched his gaze hold a hopefulness she knew she should squelch, especially since she knew the longer she stayed around him the harder leaving tomorrow was going to be—for both of them. Despite all of that, Buffy couldn’t help but smile from his attempt to make her comfortable.

With a soft, “Sure, sounds good,” she headed over toward the welcoming hearth and sat before the fire. Several moments later, while she enjoyed finally being able to feel her fingers and toes as they wiggled before the flames, she heard the whir of the blender and the distinct sound of the blades chopping ice.

After the blender stopped, a few minutes passed before a large frozen drink was placed in her hands. She thought she would’ve hated holding something frozen, especially since it was not too long ago that her extremities had felt frozen straight through. Yet, basking by the fire had seemed to finally bring back the feeling to them, and actually at that point, she was now considering moving away from the flames since she was getting slightly too warm sitting so close.

Taking a tentative sip, she hummed in enjoyment as the sugary alcohol tickled her taste buds. As it slid down her throat, the melting icy strawberry concoction caused her to shiver.

“Too cold? I knew I should’ve went with a hot scotch or somethin’, ‘specially since you’ve been out there shovelin’—“

Buffy turned slightly from the flames to look at Will who was sitting on the couch holding a small tumbler glass filled partway with whiskey.

“No, it’s good. Really good, Will. Even if we were sitting on the sun, I would still shiver after drinking my favorite frozen goodness, I can’t help it.”

After she spoke, she smiled briefly before turning her gaze back to the flames. Once more, silence surrounded them with only the random crackling from the fire breaking through the quiet.

Buffy’s lids felt heavy and began fluttering, as she tried to bat away the sleep that called to her. Even though she was exhausted from the long drive, the emotional upheaval, and the digging, she didn’t want to go to sleep.

It was strange, but this was the most at ease she has felt in almost two years. Not wanting to start down that long road again, questioning whether having him sign the papers had been the right thing to do, Buffy decided to take the safer route. She chose to believe this peacefulness came from finally getting some closure with the past. That was a much safer road to head down.

Feeling her lids droop once more, Buffy placed her glass on the coffee table, afraid if she didn’t, she would have a lap full of the frozen drink. As she put the drink down, a jaw-cracking yawn forced her mouth wide open. Deciding she couldn’t fight sleep any longer, Buffy slowly stood from the floor. She stretched her limbs briefly, before looking at Will, who seemed to be absorbed in watching her every move.

“Um, I’m really tired. Do you mind—“Buffy’s gaze moved from his, when the intensity of his stare became too much. She began toying with the hem of her sweater, trying to focus on something other than his eyes. Hearing her words, Will pushed past the lustful thoughts running through his mind after watching her stretch before the fire like a lithe cat.

“Oh, yeah, sorry. I should’ve been—um, well, I’m knackered too. Long day.”

Without another word, Will stood and headed toward the stairs with Buffy in tow. Once they reached the top, the awkwardness returned with a vengeance. During their ascent, his mind thought of different things to say to her—everything from funny to flirty, but they all sounded equally ridiculous. Again, he wanted to push past this renewed uneasiness. Opening his mouth, he decided to let the words come as they may.

“Um, so, where do you want to sleep?” God, could I sound anymore like a pathetic wanker? Why don’t I just get on my hands and knees and beg her to come to bed with me?

“Well, I’m the guest, so the most reasonable place for me to be is in the room designed for guests. So, that would be the guest room. Yeah, I’ll take the guest room.” Babble much, Buffy? Damn him and his bedroom eyes!

Will nodded, as he restrained the look of disappointment that wanted to pass over his features.

“Yeah, so, after you.” Will motioned down the hallway. Following this gesture, Buffy turned and headed toward the room. When they reached the door, she stepped aside, so he could open it. He turned the knob, and the door swung open before he leaned over and flicked on the light switch. The soft glow from the table lamp filled the room. Will walked in first, and Buffy followed. She was amazed that this room, as all the others she’d seen, had remained the same.

“Um, let me get new sheets for the bed. They haven’t been changed since—“

“They’re the same sheets I put on over two years ago?” Buffy’s nose scrunched in disgust at the thought that the sheets on the bed were that old.

“Yeah, no one’s slept in here, so why would I change them?”

“It’s a bed. Hence, the sheets need to be changed often, even if nobody has slept on them.”

“Why? My thought is if somethin’ smells and looks clean, then it is.”

“Eww…Will, that’s really gross!”

Shrugging his shoulders, he pulled off all the offending linens and, after rolling them into a ball, headed out of the room after saying, “Be right back.” While she watched him walking away, Buffy thought about his admission—“Nobody has slept in here.”

This made the green-eyed monster of jealousy within her do the Snoopy dance. Even though they’d been separated for a while and knowing how sexually insatiable he was, he still hadn’t brought anyone here to quench that desire. He could’ve gone to their place, or even worse, they could’ve slept in his bedroom. her inner doubt whispered, which instantly caused her inner bitch to snap back, Shut up!

As Buffy was having this inner war of words, she missed Will coming back into the room with fresh linens in hand. After her bitch-side had put her doubting-side back in its place, she looked over to witness him making the bed. Her eyes instantly locked on one of her favorite parts of him, his posterior. She always loved watching these two perfect globes moving under his form-fitting denims. During their relationship, there were times where she would play weakling or claim she couldn’t reach something on the top shelf, just so she could get a secret, appreciative eyeful of that tasty morsel when he bent over or reached up high in front of her.

When he finished, she suppressed her inner slut and moved her gaze to the wall, before he turned and witnessed her obvious ogling.

“So, all set. I guarantee these sheets are clean, washed them earlier this week. Um, if you’re interested, there’s a new toothbrush and some dry, clean clothes in the loo.”

Will hoped offering his clothes wasn’t out of line. He was just thinking that she’d been in those clothes since that morning and was probably itching to get out of them. Right—she’s itchin’ to get out of them. It has nothin’ to do with you itchin’ for her to get out of them.

Pushing past his self-directed sarcasm and the renewed lusty thoughts of Buffy in his tee shirt or, better yet, in nothing at all, he focused on getting out of the room before he lost all sense of control by doing what he so desperately wanted to do—grabbing Buffy, throwing her on the bed, and having his wicked way with her.

“Thanks, Will. I appreciate everything you’ve done.” Buffy smiled as she toyed with her hands. She felt as though she should thank him more than just with words, like giving him hug or something. However, she knew hugging could lead to something else, especially standing next to a bed—one with or without clean sheets.

Will, sensed the awkwardness returning; that and the fact that his erection pressed almost painfully against the zipper of his jeans, meant it was time to leave.

“Ok, I’m goin’ to head off, to um, bed. Help yourself to anything. Like me… If you need somethin’, Like me… I’ll be just down the hall. Wankin’ off like a soddin’ teenager. Okay, um, goodnight.”

Will backed out of the room and closed the door behind him. He stared at the closed door for several moments, willing her to open it. After several beats, he decided his hoping she’d join him in their room to make mad, passionate love was just a foolish wish.

Slowly, Buffy released the breath she’d been holding. It was so difficult. Hell, it was almost damn near impossible to remain standing there doing nothing to stop him from leaving. Buffy hoped now with his intoxicating closeness gone, she could think more rationally.

Tomorrow it will be easier. Tonight has just been really difficult, and Will was always the one I turned to when things got rough. I’m just looking for a supportive shoulder to lean on. As for the ogling of Will, well that’s easily explained. It’s been awhile, a long while. That’s all that was, nothing more.

Buffy considered going to the bathroom to retrieve the proffered items, but she felt leaving the security of this room was not a good idea, especially with her current conflicted feelings she had about Will.

Sitting on the bed, she pulled off her damp socks, then stood and slid off her jeans. Standing briefly, she walked over to the head of the bed. Pulling back the covers, she climbed in and drew them over her body. After looking around the room briefly, she leaned over and shut off the lamp with a tug of its metal chain. She shifted slightly, in order to get comfortable. Once situated, she released a soft sigh as the weariness from the long day started to seep from her.

It didn’t take long before sleep began pulling her under. However, before the Sandman could sprinkle the final grains of sand in her eyes, a niggling feeling kept her from allowing him to do so. She tried to push past the tugging from her bladder, but it was no use. With a huff, she rolled over and turned on the light. Throwing off the covers, she shivered slightly from the cooler air touching her exposed legs. Standing from the bed, she yanked the discarded jeans from the floor and pulled them on.

Despite her irritation and the urgent pulling from her lower abdomen, she opened the door slowly. Grateful for the light illuminating from downstairs to softly light the way, Buffy peered into the hallway. After noticing his door was closed, she listened intently for several moments. Not hearing any noise coming from that direction, she knew it was safe to leave her room. With a soft sigh of relief, she headed toward the bathroom.

Once she reached the bathroom door, she eyed his bedroom door once more and waited to see if he would come out. After several moments of waiting and hearing no movement within, she pushed the bathroom door slightly ajar. Buffy took two steps into the room and froze instantly in place. There, standing before the toilet with his back to her, was Will. By his stance, there was no question what he was doing.

Buffy’s gaze darted quickly from his flannel bottoms resting under the place she was ogling earlier, to his now exposed perfectly naked, bitable cheeks.

Will was beyond frustrated. He had been standing in the loo for ten minutes and still nothing—not even a trickle. Once he left the guest room, he quickly headed to his room. With thoughts of Buffy filling his mind, he yanked down his jeans and grabbed hold of his willy, even before he moved from his closed bedroom door. Following several harsh tugs, he gushed all over his hand like a pimply-faced teenager. Once Will got his bearings back following his release, with his pants still around his ankles, he wobbled over to his bed. After he cleaned his hand with a tissue, the urge to seek a different kind of release made itself known.

Quickly, he shucked off the remainder of his clothes. Changing into his favorite flannel bottoms, he headed off to the bathroom. This is where he has been ever since. Currently, his willy was only at half mast, but for some reason, even though his bladder felt like it was about to burst, he couldn’t go. Fuck it! With irritation he tucked himself back into his pants and pulled them up over his hips.

When he turned, his gaze met with the one thing he wasn’t expecting -- Buffy. She stood on the threshold of the room. Her eyes still fixed where he’d been standing, or more specifically where his ass would’ve been in relation to where he was standing. Now, she was gawking at his front, as his willy went from half-mast to fully erect in a matter of moments. Not knowing what else to do, he spoke,

“Buffy?”

Hearing her name broke through the staring contest she was having with his cock. Her eyes snapped up to meet his and immediately grew as large as dinner plates. Following a string of muttered, “I’m sorry-s” and “Oh, God-s” she backed out of the room, turned, and bolted down the hallway. The slamming of the guest room door announced where she had gone.

Will walked out of the bathroom and looked down the hallway. Witnessing her reaction, he wanted to apologize for leaving the light off and the door being partly opened, giving the illusion that the bathroom was empty. When he reached half-way down the hallway toward her room, he stopped since he had no clue what he was going to say to her once he got there. He felt “Sorry you got an eyeful of my arse and dangly bits” really wouldn’t be any way to start an apology.

Plus, the more he thought about it, he felt he had nothing to apologize for, and he sure as hell wasn’t sorry he caught her looking. Sad to say, it was the most excitement his willy had felt in a really long time.

Yeah, he’d wanked. Hell, it was a daily occurrence, but it hadn’t felt as good as it did earlier. This time he had fresh memories of Buffy, not old ones, spurring his hand. Before tonight, the pictures he pulled from his spank bank were like trying to look past the squiggly lines of a blocked porn channel— the picture’s all fuzzy, and you can only see bits and pieces of the action. This time, it was like he was watching porn on a high-def, flat screen TV—a clear, crisp picture made the experience so much better.

Even better than that was the way she had been staring at him. He knew that look. She was completely lusting after him. It wasn’t much to hold onto, but it would do—for now. With a devilish smile and a spring in his step, Will turned and headed back to his room.

Buffy sat on her bed trying to catch her breath and figure out what just happened. She tried to rationalize the overwhelming lust she felt and the dampness spreading between her thighs. Buffy, let’s be honest, it’s been a really long time, and let’s face it, he has a really great ass. All you were doing was appreciating a fine form, nothing more.

Running this thought through her mind several times, she began to believe it. That was it. She’d been celibate for far too long, and her inner slut wasn’t too happy about it. Her gawking at his butt had nothing to do with him. She absolutely had no lusty feelings for her ex. Even more so, if she did, which she so didn’t, she wasn’t going to do anything about it. Buffy decided the best way to emphasize this point to both herself and Will was by staying in her room for the rest of the night. Bladder be damned.































Chapter End Notes:
Let me know whatcha think. I love and cherish each and every review! OH, and if she couldn't gather from the text, during the dialog the italized areas are their inner thoughts.