Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow. I am getting some seriously mixed reactions! I'm kind of enjoying the controversy. ;) I hope some of you are sticking around. Things will start looking....more complicated soon. :) Thanks for reading and reviewing. You all rock. This is an extra long update!
Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Spike smiled at the sight of Fred’s ever-growing baby bump, but she was not fooled. She frowned at the shadows under his eyes and the invisible weight that made his shoulders slump. “What’s wrong?”

He frowned. “It’s nothing.”

She pushed herself up from her chair and held out her arms for a hug.

“No need for you to stand up, love. I’d have come to you for my hug anyway.” Spike wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head before helping her back into her chair and taking a seat across the table from her. He’d taken a long lunch so that he could meet her at a café she liked. “How’s that little champ in there treatin’ you? Should I give him a little pep talk about holding off on the Rugby practice until he gets out?”

Fred laughed. “No. The doctor said the kicking is good. It means the baby is active and healthy.”

“As long as he’s not being too rough with his mum.”

“You do realize that the baby might be a girl, right?”

Spike shrugged. “I’ve got a feeling about this one.”

She laughed and shook her head. “I have a feeling too. I have a feeling that you’re not telling me something. What’s going on? You look…awful.”

He arched an eyebrow. “Awfully handsome?”

“William.”

He sighed. “She’s getting married. Buffy. I saw the ring myself. It’s a bloody ice skating rink. I thought…I don’t know what I thought, but I didn’t think she’d be getting married.”

“Oh! Oh no. I’m so sorry, sweetie.”

He shrugged.

“Did you ever tell her that you liked her?”

Spike laughed. “You mean: did I send her a note in homeroom?” He shook his head.

She sighed. “I know you like her, but maybe you should step back now—before you get hurt anymore. I mean if she has a fiancé…”

He nodded. “Yeah, probably should.”

“Spike, you—”

“I love her.” He said the words quietly and out loud for the first time.

Fred paled as pain for her friend drilled into her heart. “Oh, sweetie. I’m so sorry.”

“I can’t walk away, not yet.”

Fred nodded. “I know.” She had to blink hard and fast to hold back her tears.



Friday, January 28, 2011

“Dawnie! I’ve been trying to get you forever. Don’t you believe in returning phone calls these days?”

Dawn laughed. “Whatever, some of us have lives.”

“Yeah, I’m one of those people. In fact, I’ve only got a few minutes. I’m getting ready to go to dinner with Angel, his boss and his boss’ wife.”

“Ooh…sounds boring.”

Buffy chuckled. “Yeah, the thing about being a grown-up is sometimes you have to do things that aren’t about the fun.”

“If you say so. I think the thing about being a grown up is you finally get to decide for yourself.”

Sighing, Buffy changed the subject. “You’re done with your semester in May right?”

“Yup.”

“Good. I have news. Big news. I’m getting married, Dawnie, and I want you to be my maid of honor.”

“Oh my god, Buffy! Why didn’t you tell me?”

She laughed. “Hmmm…could it be because you never return my calls?”

“You could have texted.”

“You don’t send a text to ask your little sister to be in your wedding. You’ll do it, right? I mean Cordy will probably take over and handle most of your responsibilities, but you’ll come and stand with me?”

“Of course. Of course I will. Oh my god. My sister is getting married! Wow. Are you sure?”

“I’m wearing the ring, so yeah…pretty sure I’m engaged.”

“I meant, are you sure you want to marry Angel?”

“Dawnie!”

“Isn’t checking one of my duties as Maid of Honor?”

“Nope, I don’t think it is.”

“Oh. I thought it would be. But anyway—you’re sure?”

“Of course I am.” Too many of her friends and family had felt the need to ask if she was sure when she shared her news. The question hurt her stomach. She and Angel had been dating for her entire adult life, why was anyone surprised that they’d be getting married? Couldn’t her friends just be happy for her?

“Okay.”

“All right, I have to go find shoes and finish my makeup. I’ll talk to you soon. Love you!”

“I love you too, Buffy. I want you to be really happy.”

Saturday, February 5, 2011

In honor of having completed his work on the kitchen, bathroom and living room, Spike was throwing a party. In an attempt to keep his guests from trashing the work he’d done in the kitchen, bathroom and living room, he was having the party in the back yard.

The festivities were well under way when Buffy arrived with Willow and Tara. She smiled at the happy, busy scene. There were at least two dozen people milling about talking animatedly and drinking beer out of red plastic cups. Most of the crowd was sitting on stumps, coolers and a variety of un-matched lawn chairs in a large circle around a home-made fire pit in the middle of the yard. Several people had guitars across their knees. She spotted Spike easily as he’d re-bleached his hair only a few days earlier and stood out even in the relative dark of late evening. She walked over to greet him.

“Hi. Nice party!”

“Thanks, love. You girls find the beer yet?”

“Just got here.”

He grinned. “Well then, allow me to give you the grand tour.”

“Cool. Do we get to see inside?” Willow asked eagerly.

“Yeah, but don’t tell the rest of this riff-raff that I let you go in.”

They giggled as he walked towards the back door. “So this is the garden-backyard-whatever. I hacked away some killer bushes, but I haven’t really had a chance to do anything else.” He shrugged.

“It’s big. Maybe you can put in a garden. That way you could have fresh herbs and veggies.” Tara suggested.

He groaned. “Fred is already on me about it. Don’t you all get started too.” He opened the back door and gestured them inside. “Here’s the kitchen. I had to tear up the old floor. Put this one down myself. The cabinets are old, but I repainted them. I think it looks okay.” He looked almost shyly at Buffy.

She grinned and walked over to touch one of the cabinets. “They look great-almost brand new but sort of classic too. It would have been a shame to tear out real wood cabinets.”

He exhaled quickly and nodded. “That’s what I thought.”

“You really did this floor yourself? That’s so handy. Is it bamboo?”

“Yeah, I got a good deal on it and it’s supposed to be more sustainable and all.”

Tara bent down to touch the floor. “It’s also really pretty.”

Buffy nodded in agreement. “I like the color too.” She pointed to the pale grey-blue wall. “It really makes the white cabinets stand out.”

“Alright, enough girly chatter about colors and what not. Come see the living room.” Spike proceeded to show them through his house, pointing out finished projects and planned ones. He came to a stop in a room he hadn’t yet started on, but had big plans for. “So this used to be a garage and then they renovated in the seventies and put up this hideous paneling. Once I get it all torn down, slap up some drywall, put down a decent floor-it’ll be a great room.”

“What will you use it for?”

He shrugged. “Parties, I guess. It’d be a good space for jamming. The acoustics are kind of surprising.”

“You’ve done so much work. I don’t know how you find the time.”

He shrugged. “A little every day-well most days.” He grinned. “Less on days I’m hanging with you all.”

Buffy smiled. “Well now I feel guilty that we were dragging you away from your work here.”

He frowned. “What’s the point of having a house if you don’t have anyone to stop by?”

Tara smiled. “That’s nice. I like that. Willow and I have been talking about getting a place of our own. Did you like your real estate agent?”

He nodded. “I did. Nice bloke. I’ll get you his card.”

“Thanks.”

They asked a few more questions, complimented his paint choices again and the whole group headed back outside.

An hour later the girls were all seated around the fire enjoying an impromptu sing-along. Spike and his more musically inclined guests were taking turns leading a wide variety of songs and were joined vocally by most anyone who knew the words.

Fred and Wesley had dropped by but not stayed for long since Fred was feeling big and tired.

A tall dark haired man that Buffy had never met had just finished singing the lead on a rambunctious cover of The Proclaimers’ "500 Miles" when Spike took over for a song. Buffy smiled as she recognized the first few lines of "Sweet Child of Mine" and then turned to look at Tara in surprise. The quiet blonde was singing along in a flawless voice. Buffy turned to see Spike looking over at Tara with a grin. She noted that he, along with everyone else, had all but stopped singing to better hear Tara’s vocals.

Spike didn’t say anything until the song was finished. Then he considered the blushing woman with a smile. “That’s a pretty instrument you have there. You ever consider performing?”

Tara shook her head. “I’d get too nervous. I don’t really like a lot of attention.” She barely looked up when she spoke.

He nodded. “I get that. Well, I hope you’ll come by and sing for me some more.”

Willow hugged her girlfriend as she grinned at Spike.

Buffy found herself wishing she was musical for the first time since she was a child. She sang along quietly as someone played "If I had a Million Dollars" and then a countrified cover of "Gin and Juice".

Spike had just played "Should I Stay or Should I Go" when Tara and Willow decided it was, in fact, time for them to go. They shared their decision with a disappointed Buffy and the three started towards the gate.

Spike chased them down instantly. “Hey, you birds aren’t leaving yet, are you?”

Tara nodded. “I have to work at the shop in the morning. It was a really nice party though.”

He turned to Buffy. “You don’t have to leave too, do you?”

“We came together, so I kinda do.”

“Stay. I’ll give you ride home later.”

Buffy arched an eyebrow and glanced meaningfully at the red cup in his hand.

He chuckled. “Fine. I’ll give you a ride home much later. I can stop now, be good to drive in a couple of hours or-and this is better-stay. I’ve got a brand new futon in a guest room no one’s ever used. Stay. Have fun. Crash. I’ll bring you home in the morning.”

Buffy’s eyes widened in surprise. She looked over at Willow for guidance. “Umm…I don’t know.”

Willow shrugged. “Stay and have fun. There’s no reason you can’t.”

“Right.” Buffy nodded but still felt unsure. The hopeful look on Spike’s face was the clincher. She nodded again. “Yeah. There’s no reason I can’t stay and have fun.”

“Brilliant.”

The party had thinned out an hour later and everyone who remained was sitting around the fire. Buffy shivered and rubbed her hands down her arms as the night air grew cooler. Spike showed up with a sweatshirt a few moments later. “Here, love. You looked cold.”

She smiled and slipped the large black hoodie on over her pretty, flower-covered blouse; it nearly covered her rather short khaki shorts. “I must look ridiculous now.” She laughed.

Spike shook his head. “Nah. You always look good. Bloody unfair for the rest of us.”

Her cheeks warmed and she ducked her head. “Thanks. I’m much warmer now.” She followed him back to the fire-pit and sat down on a chair beside him, pulling her feet up and wrapping her arms around her knees.

He smiled at the picture she made enveloped in his favorite sweatshirt. “Any requests?”

She shook her head. “Whatever you like. I’m liking all of it.”

Spike fiddled with his guitar for a few minutes, not really settling on a song.

Buffy’s eyes widened when a sexy, dark haired girl wearing very tight jeans and a tank top that did not cover the tattoo on her lower back walked over and threaded her fingers through Spike’s hair.

She leaned down, revealing more than a glimpse of cleavage. “All right hot stuff, you know what I want to hear.”

Spiked smirked and nodded. Without another word, he launched into a song.

Well I've been up to Paris,
and I've slept in a park.
Went down to Barcelona,
someone broke in my car.
And I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Euro-trash Girl.


The girl started dancing, arms over her head, hips circling provocatively, around the fire. More than a couple of the party goers shouted out encouragement. Buffy glanced at Spike to see if he was enjoying the show, but couldn’t tell. As always he seemed to be emoting the lyrics he sang perfectly, as though the song expressed exactly what he wished to.

Took the train down to Athens,
and I slept in a fountain.
Some Swiss junkie in Turin
ripped me off for my cash.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, search the world over
for a Eurotrash Girl.

The CRS on the metro
shook me down for a bribe.
On my knees for the sergeant
when my passport arrived.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Euro-trash Girl

Euro-trash Girl, Euro-trash girl.
Euro-trash Girl, Euro-trash girl.


When he hit the chorus, the crowd joined in and the dark haired girl sauntered over to Buffy and curled her finger up in an inviting gesture. “Come dance with me, blondie.”

Buffy shook her head and smiled anxiously. “I’m good here.”

She was relieved when the dark-haired girl gave up and found another girl, a tall redhead, to grind with.


Called my mom from a payphone
I said "I'm down to my last."
She said "I sent you to college...
now go call your dad."
And the waitress that he married,
well she hung up the phone.
You know she never did like me,
but I can stand on my own.

Sold my plasma in Amsterdam.
Spent it all in a night,
buying drinks at the Melk Weg
for a soldier in drag.
And I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Eurotrash Girl

Euro-trash Girl, Euro-trash girl.
Euro-trash Girl, Euro-trash girl.


Buffy leaned over and asked the man sitting next to her who the dark haired girl was and was told that she was Dru’s cousin, as though that explained everything. She tried not to frown was she watched the girl dance. She wondered if this was the type of girl that Spike dated. She didn’t want to be judgmental, but she was sure he could do better. The more she thought about it, the odder it seemed to her that he never appeared to have a girlfriend. She couldn’t think of a single time he’d mentioned having a date since they’d met. She looked over and considered the man in question as he continued to sing in a deep, playful voice.

Yeah, I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Eurotrash Girl

Got a tattoo in Berlin
(and a case of the crabs).
A rose and a dagger
on the palm of my hand.
And I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Eurotrash Girl.


He was wearing a long-sleeved black t-shirt, worn jeans and scuffed boots. With his bleached hair, the look definitely said bad boy but Buffy had long since stopped being fooled. Spike was no badder than she was. He was a nice guy, considerate and funny. There was no denying that he was a catch. She wondered why no one had caught him yet.


Euro-trash Girl, Euro-trash girl.
Euro-trash Girl, (I'm a) Euro-trash girl.

Yeah, I'll search the world over
for my angel in black.
Yeah, I'll search the world over
for a Eurotrash Girl.


The small crowd broke into applause and catcalls when the song finished. Spike laughed and gestured for the girl to take a bow.

She did before walking back over to Spike and smacking a loud kiss on his cheek. “Thanks.”

He laughed. “Anytime.”

The dark-haired girl left to get another beer and reappeared in the recently vacated seat beside Buffy a few moments later.

“I’m Faith. I’ve never seen you before.”

Buffy nodded. “Buffy.”

“Seriously?”

She shrugged.

“Cool. How do you know Spike, B?”

“We’re friends. There was a charity thing.” She couldn’t possibly tell this woman that she’d once had a date with Spike purchased for her at an auction. She’d die of embarrassment.

Faith nodded. “Yeah, that sounds about right. He’s a good one, you know?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, he is. How do you know him?”

“I’m Dru’s cousin.”

“Right.” She shrugged. “I have no idea what that means.”

Faith laughed. “Wow. That doesn’t happen too often. Dru as in Drusilla. She’s crazy but hot so she was pretty popular for a while.”

“Oh. That’s nice.”

Faith shook her head. “Not really.” She sighed. “This is going to kill my buzz. The highlights: Dru’s not just quirky, she’s bat shit insane. But, like I said, hot so she made the rounds. She slept with half the assholes in town. When they got sick of her shit they dumped her and left the mess behind. Not their problem anymore. Not Spike though, he had her committed.”

Buffy’s eyes were saucers. “Really?”

Faith laughed. “Yeah. Pissed me the fuck off at first.”

Buffy frowned.

“Dru was my roommate and her daddy was the one paying, so…”


“Oh.”

“But he was right. We found her journal and a shitload of knives under her bed-the girl thought I had an alien in my head. Docs said she might have tried hacking me open if he hadn’t stepped up and locked her sorry ass up.”

“Oh my god.”

Faith nodded. “Yeah. He’s a stand up sort.”

“Wow.”

“I think he still visits her sometimes. He’s probably the only one that still does. Her daddy was fine when she was a quirky artist type but actual crazy gets hidden away, you know?”

Buffy nodded and tried to absorb the story. “Yeah.” She winced. “I’m sorry.”

The other girl shrugged. “It’s all good. Just thought you should know…in case you were thinking he’d be a bit of fun to get your rocks off with before you take that hike down the aisle.” She nodded towards Buffy’s engagement ring.

Buffy’s eyebrows flew up. “Whoa. No. We’re just friends. No rocks.”

Faith frowned. “Huh. I must have read things wrong then.” She shrugged.

“You did, like really did.”

“Cool. Then it’s been fun, B, but I gotta fly. I’m catchin’ a ride with The Freshmaker.”

Buffy nodded as the other girl got up and walked away with a couple of men with dreads and Phish t-shirts.

Later when everyone had left or been kicked out and Spike was pulling a couple of blankets out of a closet for her, she asked. “Who’s The Freshmaker?”

Spike laughed. “That’s Ronnie.”

“Uh huh.”

He laughed again. “I guess it was last year sometime, Ronnie saw this science thing on the internet. If you put Mentos in a bottle of Diet Coke the soda sprays about ten feet in the air. He did it a couple of times at a party and has been called the Freshmaker ever since. You know, because of the Mentos.”

Buffy nodded and laughed. “Of course. Now it all makes sense.”

Spike walked into the guest room. “So the blankets are all new too, thanks to Fred. I’d barely unlocked the door the first time and she was stocking the linen closet. I’ve got about a dozen towels.” He shrugged. “Comes in handy when I don’t get around to doing laundry for a couple of weeks.”

She giggled. “You’re such a boy.”

He nodded. “Yeah, I am. Were you expecting otherwise?”

“No. I just think it’s funny.”

“Glad I can provide some entertainment, princess.”

She frowned. “Don’t call me that, okay?”

He shrugged. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be.”

They stared at each other quietly for a moment. Spike looked away. “There are a couple of bottles of water in the fridge. Are you hungry or anything?”

“No. I’m good.”

He nodded. “Hold on.” He walked out of the room and came back a moment later carrying a t-shirt. “I don’t generally keep ladies’ PJs around.” He handed her the shirt. “But you can sleep in this if you like.”

“Thanks.” Her cheeks were hot again and she felt foolish. It wasn’t a big deal. He was just lending her a t-shirt to sleep in. If Xander was giving her a t-shirt, she wouldn’t think it was weird.

He stood in front of her for a minute bouncing slightly on his toes. “Do you need anything else?”

“Nope. I think I’m all set.”

“Good. Sweet dreams then.” He nodded a couple more times before leaving.

Buffy pushed the door shut before taking off the sweatshirt, her blouse, shorts and bra and slipping into the t-shirt. It was big, covering half the length of her thighs, but she still felt oddly undressed. She rubbed her fingers over the worn cotton and looked down at the Sex Pistols’ logo with its peeling edges and smiled. It was totally a boy shirt. She was making the bed with the sheets and blankets Spike had given her when she heard a knock at the door. She stood up. “Hello?”

He opened the door slowly. “Hey, pet. I was just thinking that I forgot—” He froze momentarily at the sight of her wearing only his t-shirt. She was chilly. He could tell because her nipples made points under the black fabric. He swallowed hard and averted his gaze. “I…uh…was wondering if you had any time in particular that you needed to be up. I could set an alarm if you wanted me to.” His gaze settled on her thighs. The t-shirt covered just as much as her tiny shorts had, if not more, but somehow gave the impression of covering less. He knew he was a bad man for looking.

She shook her head. “No. No time in particular. I’m not really an early riser on Sundays.” She laughed. “It’s a problem actually. Angel’s mom always wants me to go to church with them, but I like to sleep in.”

“Right.” The mention of her fiancé’s family was like a dash of cold water against Spike’s balls. His hands fisted in frustration. “Good then. You can just wake me up when you get up. There are plenty of towels in the closet if you want to take a shower or wash up or anything.”

Buffy laughed softly. “You mentioned that.”

“Right. I did.” He tried to smile. “You’re my first house-guest. I guess I’m a little off.”

“Nope. You’re very hospitable. I’m all set. Really.”

“And I should leave you alone now.”

“That’s not how I meant it.”

He nodded. “Sleep tight. Okay…umm…” He walked over to her and hugged her shoulders lightly. “I’m glad you stayed.” He stepped away and studied her face with his head tilted to the side. “We are going have to talk about your little whisper singing habit. It’s more fun if you’re belting it. ” He gave her a small smile, walked out and closed the door firmly behind him.

Buffy sat down on the edge of the bed, stared at the door and wondered why she felt like she’d let him down.


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts?