Author's Chapter Notes:
Have you all seen the pretty banners this fic just received from the lovely folks over at Sunnydale Memorial Fanfiction Awards? I was feeling pretty damn honored by the nominations, so three runner-ups awards kinda blew my mind. Thank you tons!!! I am really behind on everything and have lots of stuff and stories to share, but I am going to simply post a chapter right now and tell you that this story is getting close to its end. :)

Also-I will have another chapter up VERY soon.
Friday, March 18, 2011

They arrived at the hospital less than twenty-five minutes later. Spike rushed urgently through the front doors, as though he himself were the one in labor, and Buffy followed with an amused expression and a warm heart. When he started to drill the nurse at the reception desk for information, Buffy laughed softly and took his arm. She looked at the already irritated woman. “Could you please direct us to Labor and Delivery?”

The nurse’s expression softened before she quickly and efficiently provided the directions she no doubt recited several times a day.

Buffy thanked her as they hurried away.

Spike stopped half-way through their recommended route. “I don’t have the presents!”

“I thought you gave them to her at the shower weeks ago.”

“Those presents, yeah, but not the new presents.”

“I’m sure it will be okay if you bring them by tomorrow.”

He frowned. “There’s got to be a gift store in this place, right? I need flowers for Fred.”

Buffy nodded and searched the sign by a nearby set of elevators. “Come on. It’s this way.” She guided him to the gift shop and watched him purchase a large cheerful bouquet of daffodils and a sweet stuffed hippopotamus. She remembered suddenly their brief discussion about wanting kids so many months before. It had been such a casual discussion at the time; they hadn’t been dating so it was just friendly chatter. Now she found herself picturing Spike as a father to be with surprising ease. She fought to press the thought aside. It was far too soon to even wonder about things like that, wasn’t it?

The cashier in the gift shop gave them new directions to follow and they quickly found the right hall. Giles was sitting in the lobby looking queasy. Spike raced over to him. “Where is she? Has the babe come yet? Is Fred…is she all right?”

“No one has come out for a while, but I don’t think so. It doesn’t seem to be moving along very quickly. Anya said I was coming to the hospital too soon, but—”

“You don’t know if—”

“William!”

Everyone turned towards the sound of Wesley’s voice and watched him hurry towards them. Spike took two big steps in his directions and spread his arms to give the other man a quick squeeze and pound on the back.

“You’re here.”

“Of course I am.”

Wesley grinned and pushed a hand through his already disheveled hair. “Can you believe this is happening?”

Spike laughed. “You becoming a Daddy? Not hardly.”

“Yeah, well it doesn’t seem likely to ever happen again. Fred’s already made me swear never to, and I quote, make a play under her skirt again.”

Everyone chuckled.

Buffy grinned. “I’m sure she will change her mind when she sees that sweet baby for the first time.”

Wesley looked at her suddenly, as though he was only just then noticing her presence. He glanced back at Spike and then at Spike’s hand resting on Buffy’s back and grinned widely. “You told her.”

Spike nodded. “I did.”

“Brilliant!” Wesley stepped towards his cousin and gave him another hug. “That’s brilliant, mate.”

As soon as Wesley stepped back, Spike pulled Buffy closer. “Yeah.”

After another few moments of excited chatter, Wesley went back to Fred’s room and Buffy and Spike settled down in the lobby with Giles.

They were all still there two and a half hours later.

“I’m thinking it’s time for another round of sodas.” Spike started to stand up.

Buffy jumped up quickly. “My turn to get them.” She grinned at his raised eyebrow. “I’m not good at sitting still this long. Give me something to do.”

“I’m sorry, pet. Do you want me to take you home?”

“Of course not.” She shook her head. “Just tell me what kind of soda you want.”

Spike laughed. “Just a cola.”

Buffy turned to Giles. “Can I get anything for you? Soda, coffee?”

The older man laughed and shook his head. “No thank you, dear. I rather think the four cups I’ve already had will keep me for the next day or two.”

Returning his warm smile, it occurred to Buffy that he was really a very attractive older man. She wasn’t at all surprised that a younger woman was interested and wondered when she would finally get to meet the infamous Anya.

Spike watched Buffy walk through the lobby to the vending machines in the adjacent hall with a very male grin. He stood up and stalked across the room in pursuit.

Buffy gasped slightly when he snuck up and stood very close behind her. She’d just fed in the first dollar. Her heart picked up its pace when Spike lean in and rested his hands on the soda machine, effectively trapping her in between them. “It occurs to me, love, that I haven’t told you how very sorry I am that we were interrupted. I am…very sorry.” He stressed the last two words with a deep tone.

She blushed and kept her gaze on the soda options. “That’s okay.”

He moved in closer so his body brushed hers. “I can’t stop thinking about how nice it was to touch you, kitten.” He slid two fingers down her arm and felt her shiver.

“Oh.”

He chuckled deeply, insanely happy to see how easily he could get her flustered. “Mmmhmm.” He leaned down, pressed the button for a Coca Cola and collected the soda when it appeared in the opening on the bottom on the machine. He walked back to his chair without another word.

Buffy took a deep breath and willed her knees to stop shaking before she gave the machine a second dollar and selected a Diet Coke for herself. She was well aware that he’d done it all just to tease her and was almost annoyed before she turned around to walk back and saw him sitting in the horrible light of the maternity waiting area and still looking like the sexiest man she’d ever laid eyes on. The thought that he’d spent months waiting for her, wanting her, was easily the craziest thing she’d ever heard.

Fear and insecurity threatened to rear their distinctly unattractive heads, after all how could she hope to keep the interest of a man like Spike, but they couldn’t break through the bubble of joy Buffy was floating in. He was watching her walk back and the look on his face was unmistakable. He loved her. Spike loved her. Somehow knowing that made the whole world a more wondrous place.

None of the words on the tip of her tongue were meant to be shared in the very public delivery waiting area, so she simply returned to her spot on the bench beside him and took his hand.

Spike’s eyes widened at the way Buffy simply reached for his hand when she sat down. The gesture had seemed so natural that he was certain anyone around them would assume they’d been holding hands for years. The chorus of a Beatles song he’d always considered rather sappy sang out in his mind and he realized its truth. He gave her small hand a quick squeeze. Dear God, he wanted to hold her hand bad enough to sing about it.

He exhaled shakily and nodded towards the television. “You’d think someone would have figured out that if the babes are in the other room being born they couldn’t be out here watching this kiddie rubbish.”

Buffy laughed. She supposed the nurses had put The Disney Channel on earlier for a soon to be big brother or sister and that no one had ever requested it be changed. It was funny how long they’d been there before even noticing the television was on. She glanced over to see if Giles was watching it and found him fast asleep. A naughty thought about his reportedly hot new young wife keeping him up late ran through her mind and made her lips twitch. She was too much of a lady to share the thought with Spike, although she was sure he’s enjoy it. “I’m sure you could sweet talk the reception nurse into giving you the remote if you want.”

“Might have to, this—”

“Oh!” She squeezed his arm. “No, this is good. You’ll like this.” She grinned.

Twelve minutes later, Spike was intrigued. “Do you suppose platypuses make that noise? Truly?”

“Stop over-analyzing Phineas and Ferb. You’re going to ruin it for me.”

“No way, love. This shit is brilliant. I’m—”

Buffy shushed him so she could hear one of her favorite songs. “Listen, this is hilarious. Remember how Candace is having that allergic reaction?”

Spike watched Buffy giggle as the cartoon teenager tried to bust her younger brothers by singing a solo with her mother’s rather hip musician friends. He couldn’t deny the song was catchy, but he was mostly entertained by seeing Buffy mouthing the words. He wondered what it would take to make her push through that wall and simply sing along.

Three episodes later, Spike was hooked. He’d already figured out the chords for the theme song. “You know the thing about Ferb, he’s a man of few words but that just makes it more special when he does talk.”

Buffy giggled and nodded. “Of course. I never thought of it that way.” Her lips twitched.

“Oi! Don’t give me that look, imp. I’m being serious. This is a quality program and you’re not fully appreciating it.”

“No?”

“Take his accent. That’s a genuine British accent—lends a touch of authenticity—you’d be surprised how many actors squeak by with mediocre, fake accents.”

Buffy bit her lip. “You’re right. That does sound serious.”

“You’re mocking me. Am I right? This is you mocking me?”

She giggled. “Maybe a little.”

“Brat, I oughta take you over my knee.”

She laughed out right. “In your dreams.”

“Damn straight.”

She blushed and it was his turn to chuckle. Spike was leaning down to kiss the gasp off of her lips when a shockingly rumpled Wesley rushed into the hallway.

“It’s a girl. I have a girl!”

Spike grinned and pressed a hard and fast kiss on Buffy’s mouth before hurrying over to his cousin.

Buffy walked over and shook Giles’ arm. “Wake up. You’re a grandpa.”

He started. “Oh! Oh Dear. What is it?”

She smiled. “You have a granddaughter.”

He surprised them both by pulling her into a hard hug before he took off in the direction of Fred’s room.

Buffy stood in the middle of the waiting lounge and watched the three men share embraces and pats on the back. When she went to take her seat again, Spike came and took her arm. She protested. “It’s really a family time. I’ll wait here. Go. Meet your niece.”

He shook his head. “It’s not like that. Everyone here knows what you are to me.” He squeezed her hand and gave her another tug.

It still seemed awkward to her, but she couldn’t argue with his earnest expression. “Here.” She lifted the vase of flowers from the side table and handed them to Spike. “Don’t forget Fred’s flowers.”

He took them in his other hand and grinned. “See, what would I do without you? Grab the hippo.”

Buffy hugged the large stuffed toy and followed Spike down the hall and into Fred’s room.

The pretty brunette was holding her new daughter wrapped in a soft pink blanket and talking quietly with Giles. She looked up and smiled broadly when she saw Spike. “There you are. I couldn’t believe it when Wes told me you two spent all night sittin’ out there waitin’.”

Spike placed the flowers on the table beside her bed and gazed with watery eyes at the baby in her arms. “It was well worth the wait, love. She’s beautiful. Get’s that from her mum, I suppose.” He gave Fred a wink.

She laughed and shook her head. “Yeah, I’m sure I look real good after all that.”

“You’ve never been prettier.”

Fred shook her head slightly and looked up at Buffy who had stayed just inside the door. “You’re going to have to watch out. This one is charming enough to sell popsicles in snowstorm.”

Buffy laughed softly. “Congratulations. She really is the prettiest baby I’ve ever seen.”

“Do you want to hold her?”

“Oh! But I couldn’t. I mean I’m sure everyone here wants to—”

Fred laughed. “Come here.”

Buffy walked over and sat gingerly on the edge of the bed. She accepted the baby and Fred’s directions on holding her with a stunned gasp. “Oh! Look how little she is!”

Spike watched with a speculative smile. “Has my favorite niece got herself a name yet?”

“Oh!” Fred looked at Wesley with wide eyes. “We haven’t told them.”

Wesley nodded. “Meet Miss Charlotte Anne Giles.” He turned to Spike. “If that’s all right with you.” He smiled gently. “I always loved your mum and she did give me a brother.”

Fred turned quickly to Spike. “If you wanted to save the name, if you were thinking of using it yourself…”

Spike shook his head before leaning down to kiss Fred’s cheek. “She’d be honored and so am I.” He leaned even further down to place a very soft kiss on the baby’s fuzz covered head before explaining to Buffy. “My mother was Anne Giles before she married.”

Buffy nodded. “She couldn’t have a lovelier namesake.”

“William, do you want to hold her?”

“Yeah, my turn. Hand over the goods, kitten.” He held out his hands like he was trying to catch a football and everyone laughed.

Fred put her hand on Buffy’s shoulder. “Hand over the goods very gently.”

She did and then she watched Spike cradle the tiny girl against his chest.

“Well hello, love.” Spike grinned at the little bundle in his arms. She barely registered as weight. “I’ve got some stuff to tell you, Charlie.”

Fred gasped and looked up at her husband. “Oh! They’re going to call her Charlie!”

Wesley shook his head and then glared at Spike. “No one is going to call her Charlie if you don’t like it, dear.”

Spike continued as though no one had spoken. “First off, your parents are brilliant. I know they seem a tad bit stuffy sometimes, but they’re actually quite a lot of fun when they smoke a bit of—”

“Hey! None of that. Give me my baby.”

Spike laughed softly, kissed his niece again and gently placed the baby back in Fred’s arms.

All too soon, a nurse came in and shooed away the visitors so that the new mommy and her baby could get some rest.


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts?