Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi all. I've got an update for you. :) And I just update the Soundtrack post to include the new songs. Thanks for reading, let me know what you like. Thanks.

Check out the soundtrack here: http://dorians-kitten.livejournal.com/63752.html#cutid1
Saturday, November 13, 2010 (still)

A large band took the stage after Spike and the crowd cheered. Buffy laughed. “I take it these guys are popular?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah. They do a lot of ska covers. I think you’ll like them.” He turned to Fred. “You gonna take a turn with me?”

She stood up and grinned. “Definitely.”

He laughed. “Let me grab a drink first. Then we show the newbies how it’s done.”

Ten minutes later Buffy stood beside Wesley and watched Spike and Fred swing dance with startling skill and enthusiasm. Wesley laughed at the shock on her face. “Yes, they’re quite good, aren’t they?”

“So they do this regularly.”

“Somewhat. It’s my fault, actually. Fred signed the two of us up for dance lessons before the wedding and I was…rather done after the first lesson. I was dreadful. Spike stepped up and finished the classes with her. I believe they’ve taken a more advanced class since then, but they like to pretend that they are simply naturals.” He smiled.

Buffy laughed.

“May I ask how long you and William have been seeing each other?”

Buffy frowned. “Will-oh, you mean Spike. We’re not, you know dating or anything. We’re just friends.”

“I see.”

“I have a boyfriend.” She didn’t know why she felt the need to tell him that. It was almost like she needed to explain that she didn’t think there was anything wrong with dating his cousin, as though that might be a concern.

“Ah. I’m sorry to pry. I should have asked William before I embarrassed myself.” Wesley was not embarrassed, nor was he surprised by Buffy’s reply. Fred had explained the situation to him repeatedly and made him promise to try getting a read on Buffy.

“No worries, really.”

“I suppose I just thought he seemed happier lately and that there must be a girl involved.” Wesley laughed. “Is it possible that my wife’s over-active hormones are driving me towards romanticism?” He shuddered comically.

The band played a few songs and then the lead singer asked Spike to join them for a song. He looked reluctant, but when Buffy nodded enthusiastically, he walked back up to the stage.

She watched him confer with the band members for a moment before everybody nodded and he stepped up to the microphone. “Here’s a little song by Royal Crown Revue. It’s called Honey Child.”

Sometimes your love is just like honey
So sweet and wild-so sweet and wild
Sometimes your love is just like menthol
So cool and nice-so cool and nice
That’s why I don’t want no other lover
Nobody but you

Honey child, honey child


Willow and Tara had walked over to stand beside Buffy. Willow spoke first. “That’s hot.”

Tara spoke second. “It really is.”

All three women stared at the stage for a moment. As Spike sang he tapped one foot to the beat and held the microphone stand with both hands. His gaze traveled over the crowd, stopping periodically to make direct eye-contact.

You got a funny little way
A way of teasing
Feels so right, yeah so right
You’ve got a way-such a way
Through the night, all through the night
That’s why I don’t want no other lovin’
Nobody but you

Honey child


Tara finally turned to Willow. “Will you dance with me?”

Buffy turned quickly to see her friend blush before nodding. She watched Willow and Tara walk to the small space in front of the stage and begin dancing in a way that was more sweet than seductive. She smiled and wondered how much longer she’d have to wait before her friend came out to her. It seemed dishonest to pretend that she didn’t know.

You got a brand of lovin’
That sets my soul on fire
You got a brand of kissin’
That drives me wild
That’s why I don’t want no other lover

That’s why I don’t want no other lover
That’s why I don’t want no other lover
Say, that’s why I don’t want no other lover
Say, that’s why I don’t want no other lover, baby


Buffy smiled when Spike walked back over to her. “Okay, now you’re just showing off.”

He shrugged. “Gotta give the people what they want.”

She laughed. “Is that so?”

“Occasionally.” He turned away and grinned as the band started a new song. “Oh this one is bloody good. Dance with me?”

She shook her head. “I don’t know how-at least not that stuff you were doing.”

“No problem. I’ll show you. All those years of cheerleading ought to make it easy for you, yeah?”

She was going to argue but he wrapped his hand around her wrist and pulled her towards the dance floor, where Fred was already leading Wesley through a couple of basic steps. Buffy thought the man looked like he was in pain.

“Like this.” Spike guided her through the first few steps slowly before pulling her close and leading in tempo. He sang along with the song’s chorus.

Hello, Baby, I think about you every day.
Hello, Baby, I dream about you every way.


Buffy laughed. “What is this?”

“Hello, Baby.”

“Wow. I wonder why they called it that?”

Spike spun her quickly. “This is classic ska. Stop sassing and dance.” He continued singing through the next verse, while Buffy laughed and tried to keep up.

On Monday next, I saw you again,
We shared a seat on the end of the train.
I couldn't talk; I hadn't the knack,
I found a card, and I wrote on the back:

Hello, Baby, I think about you every day.
Hello, Baby, I dream about you every way.


Fred and Wesley bowed out almost as soon as the song was done. “Sorry, this pregnancy thing makes me really tired and I have a thing at the shelter tomorrow. “We’re going to head home.” She made a pouty face.

Spike sighed. “It’s barely ten o’clock.” He shook his head. “Besides, you can’t fool me. Wesley is the one who is ready for his bed.”

Fred laughed. “Maybe, but don’t let on that you know.”

Willow and Tara decided to follow their lead and told Buffy that they were ready to head too.

Her shoulders slumped. “Already?”

Willow glanced to Tara. “I mean we could probably stay for a little longer.”

Buffy shook her head. “No, that’s okay.”

Spike turned to her in surprise. “You’re leaving too?”

“They’re my ride. We were all eco-conscious and carpooled.”

“Well, stay and carpool with me.”

She laughed. “You live in the opposite direction. It would take you like fifteen minutes out of your way.”

“Don’t mind. Stay. I’m all keyed up from being up there. I need someone to play with.”

Buffy giggled at his pouty expression. “Okay. If you’re sure you don’t mind giving me a ride.”

Willow didn’t wait for Spike to reply. She gave Buffy a quick hug. “Call me tomorrow, okay? And have fun.” She turned to Spike. “It was nice finally meeting you, like in person meeting you.”

He chuckled. “You too, red. Thanks for coming out.” He shook her hand and then Tara’s.

Tara smiled at him shyly. “You play beautifully—a lot, a lot of emotion.”

“Thank you.”

Buffy and Spike stayed through another band and then he asked if she was up to swinging by his friend’s bar, as he’d promised to try.

Buffy was game and was shocked and delighted to find herself watching a drag karaoke competition at Lorne’s bar, Caritas, a half hour later.

They found a small table near the back and sat through a terrible rendition of I will Survive and an excellent cover of It’s Raining Men. When a pretty blonde took the stage, Buffy gasped. “That’s a man?” She looked at Spike in shock.

He laughed. “No, that would be Harmony. No one’s sure if she realizes what drag really means. She just wondered in one day and stayed. It was like she’d found her people. If she was any good at singing, one of the boys would have complained by now, but she’s…like a mascot. This is how just how she dresses.”

Buffy looked back at the girl with the big blond hair, short bubble gum pink dress and silver platforms. “You’re kidding.”

“Wish I could say that I was, kitten. This is Harm on a tame night. I’ve seen her wearing thigh high boots made of pink vinyl at two o’clock in the afternoon. It’s as though she fell out of a Bond movie.”

“You hang with her?”

“I have. She’s a nice enough bird, a bit—well she’s unique.”

Buffy was tempted to ask if he’d been involved with her but decided against it.

Lorne, the man Buffy had seen chase Spike out to the sidewalk two weeks earlier, joined Harmony on stage. He was wearing a dark purple suit and a black shirt and somehow made it look good. Buffy giggled as their music started.

Lorne spoke the first line with comical exaggeration.

Hi Barbie

Harmony responded perkily.
Hi Ken!

Lorne pretended to eye her up.
Do you wanna go for a ride?

Harmony appeared very flattered. She patted her hair and batted her fake eyelashes at him.

Sure Ken!


He gestured to an invisible car.

Jump In...

When Harmony started to sing the first verse, Buffy laughed so hard tears dripped from the corners of her eyes. Harmony wasn’t a terribly good singer, but she was very entertaining.

I'm a Barbie girl, in the Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
You can brush my hair; undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation

Lorne continued on in the role of Ken.
Come on Barbie, let's go party!

When their song finished, Lorne joined Buffy and Spike at their table. Buffy watched the men exchange a quick hug.

“You came.”

“Said I’d try.”

“How’d your show go?”

Buffy answered before he had a chance. “It was awesome. He was awesome.”

Lorne laughed. “Glad to hear it. I don’t believe we’ve met, sweet thing.”

She blushed. “I’m Buffy.” She held out her hand, but Lorne leaned in and gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“Pleasure to meet you, Buffy. That’s a fantastic name and a fantastic dress. I’m already your biggest fan and I’m glad someone is keeping this boy company. He gets into too much trouble by himself.”

She gave Spike a quizzical glance. “Is that so?”

Spike shook his head. “Enough of that. Is there anyone tending bar tonight? I mean, here we are-very thirsty-and no one is bringing us drinks.”

Lorne laughed. “I have just the thing. My new man, Rico, makes the most delectable Sea Breeze. Passion fruit vodka. It’s perfection.”

Spike shook his head. “A beer for me.”

Lorne sighed and turned back to Buffy. “Please tell me you’re adventurous at least.”

“Are we talking about a pink drink with a little umbrella?”

“We sure are, cupcake.”

“Then I’m adventurous.”

Three hours Later, Lorne was shutting done the bar and Buffy realized that she hadn’t closed out a bar since college. She’d had a great time listening to Lorne and Spike argue and share silly stories. She’d been surprised to learn that Spike played at Lorne’s bar regularly, though she supposed that she shouldn’t have been. Sure, lots of straight men weren’t particularly comfortable around gay men, but she’d already seen that Spike was unusual.

Harmony had joined their group for a little while, and though Buffy had wanted not to like her, she had. As fake as might have looked, Harmony was shockingly genuine. She also called Spike, Blondie Bear, which Buffy thought was the funniest thing she’d ever heard. Of course, at that point she’d had a couple of Rico’s special Sea Breezes.

It was almost three in the morning when Spike dropped her off at home.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Buffy’s phone rang at seven in the morning. She patted around the nightstand for it before realizing it was still in her purse. She whimpered before pulling herself out of bed to find it.

She answered groggily without looking. “Hi.”

“Good morning, princess.”

“It’s really early, Angel.”

He laughed warmly. “The trip went so well that I came back a day early. I got in last night and my parents were hoping we would join them at church and brunch this morning.”

Buffy shook her head and then remembered that he couldn’t see her. “I had a really late night. I need to sleep more. Maybe we could do something later…like later.”

Angel laughed again. “But you love brunch. Just think French toast, baked brie, chocolate covered strawberries.”

She groaned. “Well now I’m hungry, but I’m still tired. Seriously, I’ve only been in bed for a couple of hours.”

“Wow, party girl. What were doing all night?”

“I went with Willow and her new roommate to see a friend play guitar at The Bronze and then I ended up at a karaoke thing. Fun makes tired Buffy.”

“All right, I’m glad you had a good time with the girls. I guess I will suffer through church with the folks alone and give you a call later.”

“Mmmm…good. Love you.”

“I love you too. Go back to sleep.”



Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Buffy snuggled against Angel’s shoulder. “I love this movie. Who would have guessed she could sing this well?”

Angel murmured non-committedly.

On Buffy’s television June Carter and Johnny Cash, portrayed earnestly by Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Pheonix respectively, were trying very to avoid falling in love. They wouldn’t succeed.

“I was thinking about your birthday.”

Buffy grinned. “Oh yeah, what were you thinking?”

“What if we go away for the weekend? We could find a bed and breakfast in wine country-something romantic.”

“Aww…that does sound nice, but you know that Cordy is already planning my surprise party for that weekend. Maybe we could go another time.”

Angel sighed. “I don’t see how it is a surprise party if you know about it.”

“That’s because you aren’t a girl. Cordy knows better than to throw an actual surprise party. I want warning so that I can get a manicure and wear a new dress. I can’t look like a slump at my own party.”

He laughed. “Women.”

“Yup.”

“All right, so the party is Friday, right? Can I have Saturday night for a special dinner, just the two of us?”

She nodded. “That sounds perfect.”

“Good.” He gave her a quick kiss before refocusing on the movie.


Chapter End Notes:
Thoughts?