Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi there. Remember me? I've stopped writing fic in order to focus on orginal stuff and I have a half dozen original projects I should be working on write now. Only sometimes Spike's voice is the only one I hear and I have always loved this story, so sometimes I work on it a little bit. It's taken ages, but I'm getting awfully close to wrapping it up. I have several (very sexy) chapters done and outlines for the rest, so I figured it was time to share them. I'll post a couple of chapters a week and hopefully have the final one written before I run out.



Some of these chapters (I wrote out of order, so I cannot be certain which) have been read by Puddinhead and/or Minx Delovely. They always provide wonderful advice, so big thanks to them. Any mistakes are all mine.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Joyce opened the door before Spike even raised his fist to knock. “So my daughter tells me that you are rather certain I won’t approve of you. Anything in particular I should know?”

“I...she umm--”

Joyce laughed gently. “Relax and come on in. I just couldn’t help teasing you, William. Or do you prefer Spike?”

“Whichever is fine.” Oh yeah. He should absolutely not have come to this thing. He’d tried to tell Buffy that family barbeques were not his place but then she’d looked sad. She hadn’t even pouted, just sort of sighed solemnly and he’d started promising to attend. He was crazy about her. If it was within his power to make her happy, he’d do it. Hell, he’d do things outside his power too.

Spike lifted up the bouquet of flowers he held in his left hand. “Thank you for inviting me to your home.” Yup. He’d practiced that in the mirror like a complete loser.

Her eyes widened and the family resemblance was strong. “They’re lovely. And my favorite too.”

“I noticed that painting in your kitchen. These are the same, right?”

“Yes! They are. Sunflowers. That’s very thoughtful, William.” She studied him for a moment before nodding. “Come with me while I put these in some water. I think I have just the right vase in the upstairs hall closet and we’ll grab one for those dahlias too.”

Spike’s cheeks warmed, but he grinned. “Will she like them?” Maybe he should have gotten roses. Chicks liked roses, didn’t they? But these had seemed so perky and cheerful. They had to be the flower equivalent of his girl.

Joyce laughed. “From you? She’ll love them.”

He followed her up the stairs and around the corner.

She opened a closet door and gestured to the top shelf. “The clay one and the purple glass I think. You can reach, right?”

Spike handed her the other bouquet and carefully pulled out the requested vases. He really only had a couple inches on Joyce, but it was kind of her to pretend that he was taller.

Joyce grinned. “Thoughtful and handy. Bring them downstairs.”

Spike followed dutifully, but he couldn’t help looking around. Was he ever going to get to see his girl? Also was Joyce aware that paint and furnishing came in colors other than beige and sage? It was like walking through a catalog for wholesome living. It made his skin itch.

Joyce led him back to the kitchen and gestured for him to place the vases on the counter. “I’ll admit that I’ve had my concerns about you.”

His stomach dropped. Spike stared at his boots. Was this it? Was this the ‘I’m sure you mean well but you’re clearly not good enough for my daughter’ speech?

“But that was back when it seemed like you didn’t return Buffy’s affection.”

He looked up, surprised.

“Now I don’t get the feeling that’s something I need to worry about, is it?” She pulled open a drawer and took out a pair of scissors.

“No, Ma’am.”

“Call me Joyce. Please.” She unwrapped the sunflowers and began trimming the stems. “She told me you were worried about her age, her being too young for you, and I’m glad. I don’t think it’s a problem, but I like knowing that my daughter is seeing a young man who thinks about that sort of thing, who worries about doing the right thing.”

Joyce arranged the sunflowers in the vase and placed it under the faucet. “She’s told you about her father?”

“Only that he...he passed away some time ago.”

“Three and half years ago.”

Spike winced. He’d assumed it was longer. Buffy really barely mentioned it. “I’m sorry.”

Joyce blinked a few times, but held on to her smile. “Thank you.” She reached over and patted his hand. “You’ve been quite patient and I’m going to get to the point now. When Hank got sick, life around here...it stopped being about anything other than family for a bit. We knew he only had a few months, so we made the most of them. We made memories. Which was right, I think. But after he passed away I should have made sure Buffy get back to being a teenager instead of letting her take care of me. She should have been dating--having fun, not baking cookies and watching old musicals with her weepy mother.”

“I’m sure she wanted to spend time with you, Ma’--Joyce.”

“I know. I guess all I’m trying to say is that she’s happier now than she has been in a long time and I know that’s because of you. As long you treat my daughter with respect, I don’t care about the ugly boots, what nickname you use, or how white you bleach your hair. Fair enough?”

Spike head was spinning. She’d only just started dating. No wonder she’d seemed so young. He couldn’t even think about processing the ramifications of losing your father at fifteen years of age. He nodded. “Thank you. That’s...thanks.”

“And I do mean respect, not kid gloves. I know my baby is an adult now. I don’t always like it, but I’m aware. Just keep making her happy and let her do the same for you. We’re all going to get along just fine. Now, Buffy’s out back--probably fussing with the tablecloths again. Why don’t you head out and give her those lovely flowers? Everyone else should be coming in about a half hour.”

He furrowed his brow. Had he come early? “Am I--”

“I wanted a few minutes to chat with my daughter’s new man, so I told everyone else to come late. Sue me.” She winked and went back to arranging the flowers.

Spike chuckled as he walked out the back door and scanned the yard for his girl. He spotted her standing precariously on the arm of a chair to adjust the lights strung between three large trees toward the back end of the yard. He set the flowers down on a table, snuck over and put his arms out to catch her. “Need a hand, love?”

Sure enough, she lost her balance--most likely because he’d startled her-- and teetered before he plucked her off the chair and into his arms.

“You’re here!” She wrapped her arms around his neck and smacked a kiss onto his cheek before letting her toes touch the ground.

“I am.”

She smiled up at him. “I’m glad.”

“Me too.”

“I don’t know where everyone else is.” She shrugged.

So her mum hadn’t let her in on that plan. “They’ll be here soon enough I’m sure. In the meantime, I brought you something.”

“You did?” She looked surprised. Too surprised, as far as he was concerned. He really needed to step up his boyfriend behavior.

“Just a little something. “ He nodded toward the table with the flowers.

She looked over and gasped. “You brought me flowers?”

“It’s traditional, yeah?”

She cupped his cheek. “I love them.”

Spike couldn’t help but laugh. “You haven’t even checked them out yet. Maybe I got the wrong kind.”

She giggled and shook her head. “Not possible. There’s no such thing as the wrong flowers.” Buffy clutched his hand and led him across the yard. “Come in with me. I’ll find a vase and put them in water.”

“We...um, your mum and I pulled out a purple one already.”

Buffy lifted the flowers and made a little squeak he was fairly sure was a happy sound. “So pretty.” She looked up at him. “Can I tell you something and you’ll promise not to tease me about being a kid?”

“Cross my heart, kitten.”

“I’ve never gotten flowers from an actual guy before.”

“Well, that just proves that most blokes are idiots. Girl like you ought to be flowered in...well, yeah flowers.” He shrugged. “Guess I started that sentence without thinking enough about the end.”

“I kind of wish we didn’t have to stay for the barbeque. I’d really like to have some alone time with you right now.”

Spike grinned. “Oh yeah, what would you do?” He leaned down and tapped his ear.

Her lips brushed against his earlobe as she whispered. “I’d let you see the new panties I got at Victoria’s Secret last night.”

He groaned. “What color?”

“Have to wait and see.” She giggled and shrugged before tugging him into the house. Buffy stopped without warning in the middle of the kitchen. “You got my mom flowers too?”

The sunflowers sat in the clay vase on the counter.

He nodded slowly, unsure about her reaction. Was she upset? Did it make her flowers less special? Maybe he should have brought her something else. He kind of wished Joyce were around to give him a clue, but she’d apparently finished in the kitchen and gone to another room. He frowned. “I did.”

She glanced back over her shoulder with a Cheshire cat grin. “That’s incredibly sweet, Spike, but I have to tell you, you’re not turning out to be much of a bad boy after all.”

He chuckled as he pulled her against him. “Is that so?” His girl wanted to see the bad boy, did she?

“Yup. You’re sweet as sugar.”

Spike trailed his hand up her side and caught her chin between his thumb and pointer finger, angling her head back so her ear was closer to his lips. He spoke very quietly. “Go into the other room, take off your knickers and bring them to me.”

“What? No.” She laughed.

“I want to see them right now.”

She paused. Chewed on her bottom lip. “I guess I could go change into another--”

He pressed a finger to her lips. “No. None.” Her skirt went nearly to her knees. As long as she was careful when she sat down, no one but him would ever know. “Our little secret.”

She swallowed hard.

Spike leaned in even closer. “Bet those panties are getting wet while you think about it.” He pressed himself against her hip so she’d know she wasn’t the only one aroused by the mere thought.

“Spike!” She whisper-shouted.

“If you want me to keep playing Miss Buffy’s Proper Gentleman Caller when your friends and family get here, I’m gonna need a little positive reinforcement.”

“I couldn’t.” Her chest rose and fell at a rapid pace. She licked her lips.

“Too naughty for you?”

She trembled ever so slightly when he said naughty. She always did. “Yes.”

“Are you certain, love? Just think of all the ways I might shock your sweet Aunt Ida.”

“I don’t even have an Aunt Ida.”

“My point remains. If you want me to be a good little boy, I’m gonna need those knickers in my back pocket.”

She lifted her chin and arched an eyebrow. “What if I just demand yours?”

“You’d be out of luck.”

She look over her shoulder and grinned triumphantly. “Ha!”

“Because I’m not wearing any.”

Her mouth made a perfect ‘O’ Fuck, she’s too cute.
Spike chuckled and kissed her temple. “I’m just teasing, love. Go take care of your flowers.”

She turned to search his face. “But are you?” Her eyes darted down to sneak a peek at the front of his pants.

Spike simply smiled. “Those flowers are lookin’ right thirsty. Best get them sorted.”

***********************************************************************

He was pale. Of course Buffy had noticed that before. Still, seeing Spike outdoors chatting with her neighbors and letting her littlest cousin, Mitchell, climb on him drove it home a bit. Aside from riding his bike, which he did wearing a leather jacket, dark jeans and a helmet, Spike was basically an indoors kind of man. He had the opposite of a tan. Buffy hoped he was wearing sunscreen. Maybe she should check. Or would that be like nagging? This girlfriend stuff was trickier than she’d expected. It was great. Spike was...amazing, but having something--someone--amazing meant she had someone amazing to lose. It made her question her instincts. It made her just a little bit scared all the time, scared of screwing it all up.

But that wasn’t happening today. Today Spike had given her flowers and helped her mom carry out pasta salad. Today he definitely looked like a guy who was in it for the long haul. She wouldn’t bother him about the sunscreen; they’d be leaving soon anyway.

Buffy leaned her hip against a tree and giggled watching Spike pluck the toddler from his leg and lift him over his head. Mitchell straightened his legs and held out his hands like a flying superhero and Spike ran the length of the yard. He swerved as they neared a tree, pretending they might crash before faking right and turning left. The cuteness was nearly lethal.

“There’s just something about a man playing with kids, isn’t there?” Cordelia stepped up beside her.

“I didn’t think I could be more in love with him than I was this morning.”

“Wow. I didn’t realize that had happened already.” Her head tilted to the side while she studied Spike from their spot across the backyard. “He’s cute. Pretty really. But the clothes and the hair…”

“I like it.” Buffy shrugged. “It’s him.”

“So I guess things are getting serious. You brought him around to meet your mom and all.”

“Yeah. I guess so.” She turned to Cordelia. “I just--I have to run inside and umm...do something. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

Ignoring Cordelia’s bewildered expression, Buffy hurried into the house. Her heart raced. It was a crazy idea: wrong and bad and dirty, but just imagining the look on his face had her running high on endorphins. He’d never thought she might do it, of that she was all but certain. She ducked into the powder room and took her painties off before her nerves could talk her out of it. They were sexy and impractical, barely more than strings, but when she took them off that tiny bit of missing fabric was instantly noticeable. She folded them into a tiny ball, closed her fist around them and took a deep breath. They could leave soon. She could totally do this. A nervous giggle slipped over her lips. Spike was going to flip.

Grinning, she headed back outside. Spike was digging around the cooler full of sodas. She took a second to appreciate the view. The man had a particularly nice butt and wore particularly tight jeans. It was a delicious combination. He was alone at the moment. She beelined toward him before someone else decided they wanted a ginger ale. Coming up from behind, Buffy gave him a big hug before sliding her hand between their bodies and slipping the underwear into his back pocket.

“Hey there.” He turned and returned her hug. “Kitten?” His voice was just a notch above a whisper. “Did you just grab my ass?”

“Back pocket.” She bit her bottom lip to keep from squealing and attracting attention.

His eyebrows shot up. Had anyone ever had such blue eyes before?

“You earned them.”

He exhaled loudly and lowered his gaze. “And now?”

“Nothing.”

Spike cleared his throat loudly then leaned down. “Sexiest. Girl. On the planet.”

Her face felt hot but her heart soared. “We can leave soon.”

“Good. But right now, I want you to go chat folks up knowing that I know what’s not under your dress.” He caressed her elbow lightly. “And think about what I’m going to do to that hot little body of yours when we get out of here.”

“Something good?”

Spikes tongue curled up to touch his teeth. He shook his head slowly. “ Naughty, baby. Just the way you want it.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading.