Author's Chapter Notes:
Everyone has been so nice. I can't tell you how much the warm welcome back has meant to me. Thank you. Spuffy folks are the best!

As I mentioned in the notes for the last chapter (WHICH IS NEW-READ CHAPTER 10 if you haven't) some of this benefitted greatly from comments by Puddinhead and/or Minx Delovely. They are awesome. All mistakes are mine.

*I think you guys are going to like this chapter.*Heart

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
It was official; he was a glutton for punishment. Spike had known that a trip to the beach was a bad idea. He’d been certain that seeing his girl in a wet swimming costume was going to be torture. And then he’d gone ahead and done it anyway. They’d taken his bike out to a spot of coastline that he’d found rarely had other visitors. He’d thought that they would hang out on the blanket for a bit and watch the water, but Buffy had other ideas. She was barely off the bike before she stripped down to a pale blue string bikini and ran into the water.

Spike sat down beside her abandoned dress and watched. He was not much of a swimmer. He’d taken some lessons as a kid and had picked up the basics, but he’d never honestly enjoyed it. Buffy clearly did; she was probably part fish. He shook his head. He didn’t even own swim trunks; he had no business dating a mermaid. But there he was, sitting on the beach in his only pair of shorts and considering braving the waves just so he could touch her. He had it bad.

The sound of laughter and car doors slamming shut pulled him from silent reverie. He frowned at the sight of four young men carrying surfboards. So much for their privacy.

They, much like Buffy had, headed for the water immediately. And before Spike had finished cursing over his lost opportunity to lick his sweet girl’s pretty pink quim while on a sandy beach, he was facing an even more frustrating sight.

Buffy had come to shore and was standing in ankle deep water and chatting with two of the surfers. She laughed and placed her hands on her hips. He couldn’t hear their conversation over the crashing waves, but even sitting several yards away he could see the way her tiny wet swimsuit was clinging to the perfect globes of her ass. The way the young men were swarming made it clear he wasn’t the only one who appreciated the sight.

Spike stood up and stomped over. “We should be leaving.”

Giggling, she turned towards him. “We just got here.”

“I…uh…remembered something. Come on.”

She frowned a little but followed him back to the blanket. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“What did you remember?”

“I think I can find us a more private spot.”

She laughed. “There’s plenty of room here. The surfers weren’t bothering me.”

“Yeah, I noticed that.”

Her eyes widened. “Spike!”

He knew he was being ridiculous. He didn’t need it pointed out for him.

“Spike, they were just being friendly. It was nothing. You know that.”

He nodded. “Yeah. I get it. I just don’t feel like sharing you today. Want to be all greedy and keep you for myself.”

Her lips curved up prettily. “You do?”

A wave of relief splashed up from his toes. He grinned. “I do.”

She dropped the dress she’d been readying to pull back on and stepped closer to him. “You know you’re pretty cute when you’re jealous.”

Spike frowned. He’d known it had been too easy. “I’m not—”

Her finger covered his lips. “Maybe even cute enough to distract me from the fact you don’t trust me with a couple of dumb surfers…this time.”

He sighed and kissed her hand before pulling it away. “It’s not you I don’t trust. I just…I just don’t like the way they were looking at you.”

“And I only care about how you look at me.”

Spike pulled a few pieces of wet hair off her cheek and tucked them behind her ear. “Sometimes looking at you hurts—you’re so bloody beautiful.”

She blinked quickly several times before wrapping her arms around his neck. “Okay, you’re out of the dog house.”

Grinning, he rubbed his cheek against her ocean-cooled forehead. “Was I ever truly in the dog house?”

“Definitely. We were going to have to buy you one of those plastic food bowls with your name on it.” She giggled lightly. “Actually, Spike is a pretty good name for—”

Spike gave her waist a pinch. “Don’t even think about finishing that sentence, little girl.”

She laughed and tightened her hold on him. “Why don’t you come swimming?”

Spike hugged her before sitting down and pulling her onto his lap. “I’m not a big swimmer.”

Buffy pushed at his chest. “I’m going to get you all wet.”

He smirked.

She blushed. “Is there anything you can’t turn into a dirty thought?”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You gave me that look.”

“What look?” He widened his eyes and shrugged.

“The look that says…I don’t know…dirty things.”

He tugged her closer and whispered in her ear. “I thought you wanted me to do dirty things with you, kitten.”

Her pupils grew big and round. “We can’t do…anything here.”

“Why not?”

“Spike!”

He wondered if he would ever understand why her shocked expression turned him on so very much. “We could. Want me to prove it?”

“There are—people, people who can see us, Spike.”

He glanced up to confirm that the surfers were occupied. “They aren’t paying any attention to us, love. Be none the wiser if I take care of my girl.”

She glanced anxiously at the surfers and bit her lip. “I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

Which meant she wanted to but was nervous. Fuck, but she’s adorable. “Come here.” He turned her so she was sitting on his thighs facing him. Spike watched her chest rising and falling with increasing speed and saw the hunger in her eyes. She made him feel like a king. He kissed her hard before dropping his head down so their foreheads touched. “So, I’m looking at you in that sinful little swimming suit and I’m thinking you must’ve gone full tilt with the razor this morning. Tell me. Did you chop off all those shiny curls?”

She squirmed and hissed his name.

Spike stroked her stomach with two fingers. “I’m gonna find out soon anyway, love.”

“I got a wax yesterday, okay?” She looked around again.

“And?”

“And the waxing girl took off hair so I could wear my bikini.”

Spike inhaled deeply and looked down at the pale blue triangle of fabric again. “All of the hair.”

Her cheeks flared red. “Yes.”

“Fuck.”

“You don’t like that?”

“Kitten, I’m so hard right now I can’t even remember my own name.”

She grinned. “It’s William, which ends in yum as in ‘Wow, check out that yummy goodness with the bleached hair.’”

Spike squeezed her hips and rested his cheek on the crown of her head. He felt lighter, younger, free in a way that he hadn’t since he was a child. She did that to him. Buffy brought out a self he’d thought long lost.“I love you.”

She froze.

Clarity and the words he’d just uttered without thought hit him like a bucket of ice water. “I—I shouldn’t have—it’s too soon to be—”

“So you don’t mean it? It was just the hormones talking?” She was looking away so her eyes gave him no clues about what was swirling about in that big brain of hers.

Spike could almost hear the seconds ticking by. Perhaps, he thought, it was just the sound of his heart racing. They’d gone out less than a dozen times. How could he have just announced that he was in love with her? What kind of fool does that? “I meant it,” he admitted quietly.

She cupped his cheeks in her sand-dusted hands. “Really?”

He nodded.

She smiled. “Because I got waxed?”

She was killing him. How could she play off his love like it was a joke? “No.”

Buffy stroked his temple with the pad of her thumb. “You don’t have to look so nervous, you know?”

“How’s that?”

“You know I feel the same way. I was already halfway in love with you that night you told Rick off for me.”

The hand squeezing his heart eased, but only a touch. “So it’s still about that? I gave you a hand and you think I’m a hero?”

Buffy looked thoughtful. “It might have been a little bit like that…at first.”

“But not now?”

She was so pretty when she smiled that he couldn’t help smiling back. “You’re still my hero but now I’m not halfway in love with a mysterious stranger who whisked me off to safety on the back of his bike. Now I’m all the way in love with a man who acts all tough but stammers every time my mother tries to talk to him, who kisses like…” she shrugged before continuing, “goodness, and worries a weird amount about the possibility of getting grease on my clothes.” Her voice steadied as she spoke. “Now I’m way, way in love with a man who makes my head spin but won’t take advantage, who likes playing video games but calls me a kid and who I’m starting to think doesn’t know how to swim.”

“I know how to swim.”

“Sure.”

“Maybe I just don’t like the salt water. Did you think of that? It’s gross.”

“My mother went to visit her sister.”

Spike frowned at the abrupt change in subject.

“My place is closer than yours and it’s empty,” she explained.

“Are you hinting at something here?”

“Nope. I’m just saying that if we head to my house I can take a shower and wash off all the salt water that you apparently find gross.” She stood up, steadying herself with a firm grip on his shoulder. “Also….” She leaned down and he couldn’t help enjoying the view of her breasts her position provided. “I baked you some brownies.”

“And if I was hoping to eat something else?”

She laughed. “You mean like a sandwich or…” She hooked her thumbs under the strings holding up her bikini bottoms and grinned saucily.

He nodded, dazedly. She owned his soul. A cookie baking teeny-bopper owned his soul.


Chapter End Notes:
Any thoughts? ;)