Author's Chapter Notes:
PLEASE READ.

This was delayed more than I'd hoped. I'm sorry. :( I got all caught up editing an older story. Which brings me to my news. I'm taking The Best Man down. It makes me sad to do that because I love the story and I very much appreciated all the support and comments it received. But that's the thing- I love that story and I think, maybe--just maybe--I can rework a few bits and get it published. A couple of very supportive friends are encouraging me to try, so I am facing the fear head on and doing it. The story will be up on the archives for another day or so if anyone wants to give it a quick read or reread. If you have or take a copy, please don't pass it around. Thank you...very much. And on with the first date...
Extra Special Thanks to Puddinhead for beta-reading and general awesomeness.
“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Buffy bit her lip and studied her mother’s complexion, happy to see the pink returning to her cheeks.

Her mom laughed. “Yes. I believe my forty-one years of life have prepared me to be alone for a few hours.”

“But if you’re still feeling bad, I could just postpone. I’m sure he’ll understand.”

“Are you sure you want to go out with a guy who didn’t seem interested until you were no longer around? That seems—”

“It’s not like that, mom. He was worried and came by to see if I was okay.” Buffy grinned. “He actually asked if I wanted him to fetch medicine for you.” Buffy used air quotes around the word fetch. “He’s really very sweet.”

“Okay, sweetie. Have fun, just be careful.”

“Will do. Do you need anything else before I go get ready?”

“Not a thing. Go. Primp.”

Buffy giggled before leaning down to give her mom a quick hug. “I love you, mom.”

“I love you too, Buffy. Now, stop worrying about me. I’m fine.”

Buffy nodded. Having just seen her mother in a hospital bed, the scare was fresh. Still her mom was looking much more like her usual self and she had plenty of tea and soup made up and a stack of magazines and movies on her bedside table. There was nothing else for Buffy to do.

Deciding on a dress took far longer than Buffy considered reasonable, but when she finally stood in front of the mirror and studied the results of her hour of date preparation she was pleased. She was wearing the white dress she’d worn the day they’d nearly kissed in the office at the garage. She’d been right, bleach had taken care of the dust stains and it showed no sign of having ever looked less than pristine. Buffy figured Spike should see that. She also thought that maybe he especially liked her in this dress since it was what she’d been wearing when his wall had started cracking.

She paired it with some red wedged heels and a matching clutch. Anya had once told her that seeing the color red made guys think about sex. Buffy was hoping that was true. She was also hoping that leaving her hair down and putting on a bit of eyeliner made her look older. She needed Spike to stop worrying about her age. It was completely bewildering to her that he thought nineteen was so young.

She heard the knock on the door at one minute past seven. Spike was awfully prompt for a bad boy. Buffy answered the door with a smile. “Hi.” She nearly gasped at the sight of him. He’d been wearing a white t-shirt with dark blue jeans or mechanic’s uniform pants every other time she’d seen him, but this time he was wearing black from head to toe. If asked, Buffy would have thought black jeans were too dated, but on Spike they were a revelation.

“You look very pretty tonight, pet. Are you all ready? Mum’s okay?”

Buffy managed to nod but nothing else. As far as she knew, words to describe her feelings simply did not exist.

“Buffy?”

She nodded again.

“You all right? Seem a bit…off.” His eyes narrowed slightly and his forehead wrinkled as he looked at her.

She was blowing it. She had to pull herself together. “I’m great and…ready to go.” She stepped out on to the porch and frowned. “Where’s your bike?”

He laughed. “Knew you were only interested in my bike.”

“No! That’s not—I just thought you’d—”

“I thought my car was better choice since you seemed terrified last time.”

“Oh. That makes sense. That’s really nice, actually.”

He walked around to the passenger side of the large black sedan and opened the door. “In you go, then.”

Buffy climbed in, carefully arranging the skirt of her dress under her legs. “Thanks.”

He shut her door, walked around and climbed into his seat while she buckled her seat belt. “Course I also figured having the stick shift in the way might help you keep your paws to yourself.”

She gasped. “Spike!”

He laughed. “I’m just sayin’. You got awfully handsy when we rode the bike together.”

Buffy was sure her face now matched her purse. She resisted the urge to cool her cheeks with her hands and gave Spike’s shoulder a swat instead. “You said I had to put my arms like that. I was not… handsy.”

“Do you believe everything strange men tell you?”

She just stared at him. He couldn’t be serious. “You mean—”

He chuckled as he reached over and patted her knee. “I’m just teasing, kitten. I did try to warn you that I’m a bad sort.” He winked.

Her stomach tumbled. It was official; her date was the hottest man in the entire world.

She tried to think of something to say as he started the car and drove the two miles to Sunnydale Pizza, but her mind was stuck on the memory of his kissing her the night before. It had been, quite simply, the best kiss she’d ever had. She wanted to repeat the experience. “So I guess you’ve gone out with a lot of girls.” She almost groaned. What was she thinking? Who asks stuff like that?

“Tons.”

“What?”

He nodded as he parked the car. “Not gonna lie to you, love. There have been a lot of girls: tall ones, short ones, redheads, large bottoms, small bottoms, girls with really nice breasts, Asian twins, a librarian, a nurse, a racecar driver, a gymnast—did I mention the girls with small bottoms?”

She just stared. He was teasing, probably, but…

He laughed and finally turned towards her. “Oh! Your face! Oh you’re too bloody cute…and easy. Honestly, who asks that?”

“Right.” Buffy turned away. He was right, but she was still hurt. She took a deep breath. He’d been teasing; she wasn’t going to let it ruin her night, unless that was the point.

He sighed and put his hand on her shoulder. “Hey, look here. I’m sorry. I was being a right prat.”

She turned back to him. “Is this a real date, Spike? Or are you—I don’t know—trying to prove that you’re no good for me or something?”

His eyes widened. “Can’t say I didn’t consider it,” he admitted quietly.

“Right.” Buffy nodded. “Then you can just take me home. I’ll wait until you’re ready to try it for real.”

“I considered it, but I wasn’t going to try, Buffy. I promise.” He shrugged. “That was just me bolloxing this up all on my own.”

She unbuckled her seatbelt and pulled her legs up so she could turn all the way towards him. “I get it. You think I’m naïve and maybe stupid.”

“Not that,” he said firmly. “College girl.”

“Fine, just naïve then. You might be right. I’m probably out of my league here. It’s not that you’re older, it’s that you’re you.”

“And who am I? What do you think you see?” He leaned towards her.

“A man who is a lot sweeter than he wants people to think he is.”

“That might have something to do with you tripling my sugar intake these past few weeks.”

She laughed. “I don’t think it works that way.”

“Will you still come for dinner, then?”

Her heart thudded painfully in her chest. “Yes. But I need you to…do something first.”

“What’s that?”

“You’re too handsome.”

His eyebrows went up.

“It’s distracting. But I think if you just kissed me now, then I wouldn’t have to wonder when you were going to or if you were going to and—”

His hand cupped the back of her head and he kissed her. Hard.

It was wonderful, but it was over too soon. She leaned towards him, wanting more but he stopped her by cupping her face in his hands. “Let me try to do the right thing here and take you to dinner before things get out of hand.”

“Okay.”

Spike got out, walked around and opened her door. Buffy accepted his help getting out of the car and once he’d closed the door, she curled her hand around his elbow. He seemed surprised, but didn’t say anything.

They found a booth towards the back and ordered a large pizza with black olives and a couple of sodas. When the waitress left, Spike leaned across the table. “Come sit on this side.”

Buffy laughed. “What?”

“There’s plenty of room over here for two people.”

“Why?”

He grinned. “Do it and you’ll find out.”

It was too hard to resist him when he was smiling. Buffy scooted off her seat and slid in beside him. “Okay. So what is it?”

“Now you can hear me even when I talk very quietly, but no one else can.” He whispered.

She giggled before whispering back. “Oh, were you planning to tell me secrets?”

“I will tell you two secrets for every one you tell me.”

“What makes you think I have secrets?”

“Pretty girls always have secrets.”

Her heart skipped a beat. “I don’t think I have any.”

He slid his hand around her waist, gripped her hip and tugged her closer. “Come on, one naughty little secret and I will tell you two. It’s a good deal.”

“You tell me one first and…and then I’ll tell you one.”

He rubbed her side with thumb. “Drive a hard bargain, don’t you? Hmm…let’s see…”

“Make it a good one or it doesn’t count.”

He leaned very close to her ear. “I don’t think you were wearing anything under those pajamas last night and I gave that a lot of thought.”

She froze. “Spike,” she whispered harshly. “I thought you were going to behave.”

“I am behaving. No one else can hear me and you like it when I say naughty things to you.”

“I do not!”

He chuckled; his warm breath tickled her neck while the deep sound made her skin tingle. “Yes, you do. The blacks of your eyes get all big and round like a little Anime girl.”

“You’re…you’re—”

“Turning. You. On.”

He was right. She was ashamed to admit, even to herself, that she was insanely turned on. They were sitting in a restaurant. “Why?”

“Unh, unh. It’s your turn, cutie. Tell me a secret.”

A secret? It felt like a test. She wondered what he was looking for, what the right response was. Did she have to say something dirty? Would she look like a baby if she didn’t? “I cheated once,” she blurted.

Spike frowned. “On a guy?”

She shook her head. “No. It was a math test. Sixth grade. I’d studied actually, but when the test came I just panicked and I knew the boy next to me was really smart and…I still feel like confessing every time I see one of my old teachers in the grocery store.”

He laughed. “That was naughty.” He smirked and Buffy felt her face heating up again. Why did he have to keep using that word? Naughty. It was so…bad, dirty-bad.

“I know. I grounded myself for two weeks afterward. My mom thought I was fighting with my friends.”

He was still laughing a moment later when the waitress brought their pizza. She placed a large slice on each of their plates and asked if they wanted anything else. Buffy smiled at her even though it was clear that the waitress was staring at Spike. She couldn’t blame her. He was drool-worthy.

“We’re good,” She said cheerfully.

The waitress frowned a little as she glanced at Buffy. “Great.” She left.

Buffy laughed and said quietly, “She could have made a sign and her thoughts wouldn’t have been any clearer.”

Spike squeezed her hip. “I promise you, kitten, there isn’t a man in here that isn’t thinkin’ you could do a hell of a lot better than me.”

“I disagree.” Buffy dabbed the grease off her pizza with a white paper napkin.

“Does that make a difference?” Spike eyed her plate.

“Couldn’t hurt.”

He lifted his slice, folded it in half and took a large bite, grease and all. When he finished chewing, he grinned. “I like to live on the edge.”

Buffy giggled and lifted a clean napkin. “Yeah, well the oil likes to live on the edge of your chin.” She wiped the shiny spot and then raised her eyes to find him looking at her with an oddly serious expression. “That’s better,” she said softly before licking her lips. “You owe me a secret still.”

“That right?”

“Yup. You said if I told you one, that you’d tell me two.” She took a bite of her pizza and chewed carefully.

“That doesn’t seem fair.”

“Fair or not, that was the deal. You can’t change your mind now.” She grinned.

“Hmm…” He tucked his tongue behind his teeth while he pretended to give it some thought. Buffy had to look away. “Alright, then. Got one. You sure you wanna hear it?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t think you’re ready.”

“I’m totally ready.” Buffy sat up as straight she could and tilted her ear towards him. “See. All ears.”

He leaned down. “And they’re cute ears too.” He brushed her hair her ear. “I burned my tongue on your chocolate last night and had to pretend that I hadn’t so you couldn’t scold me.”

A flurry of giggles escaped Buffy’s lips. “Scold you?” She shook her head. “I’d have gotten you ice, you big dork.”

“I think it was worth it—maintained my dignity and all.”

“Yes, you do seem very dignified.”

“Wanna give it a kiss and make it all better?” He wiggled his tongue at her.

“You’re awful.” She gave his chest a light shove.

“Can’t help it. You’re just too bloody adorable when you’re blushing.”

“So you’re just going to tease me constantly?”

“I’d say that’s a fair bet. You wishin’ you hadn’t tricked me into asking you out?”

She frowned. “I didn’t trick you.”

“No? I suppose not. But your methods of persuasion hardly seem fair.”

“All I did was drop off cookies.”

He arched an eyebrow. “If you say so.”

“I do.” She took another bite of pizza.

He drove her back to her house when they finished and parked his car. Buffy tried to ignore her nerves. “Do you want to come in for a little while?”

He looked at her for a few moments before shaking his head. “I am going to walk you to your door, hopefully get a goodnight kiss, and then I’m going to leave all gentleman-like.”

“Oh.” Disappointment mingled with anticipation. She unbuckled and was reaching for her door when he pulled it open. “Thanks.” She gave him her hand as she got out. He didn’t let go.

He held her hand until they reached her porch, where he took her other hand and placed them both on his chest before cupping her face between his palms. “Promise me you’ll never come by the garage wearing cut off shorts and a bikini top.”

“What?” She wrinkled her nose. He was supposed to be kissing her.

“Humor me.”

“Okay. I promise.”

“Good girl.” He covered her mouth with his own. Buffy heard herself whimper the second he made contact. She supposed that she ought to feel embarrassed about reacting so strongly, but she was too busy trying not to swoon. Her toes curled and her knees grew weak. She pushed her hands up to circle his neck with her arms, the hairs the brushed her fingertips were surprisingly soft. She couldn’t help thinking that his tongue seemed miraculously talented despite its apparent injury.

When he lifted his lips away, he dropped his forehead down to rest against hers. “You know what they say about playing with fire, right?”

“I’m not playing.”

He lightly kissed her bottom lip and swiped it with his tongue.

Buffy gasped and leaned her body against his.

“You’ve still got dangerous written all over you.” His voice was so deep it made her shiver.

She giggled. Says the guy who rides around on a motorcycle with his hair bleached white and spiked up with product, she thought. “Really? I thought I washed that off earlier.” She shrugged and grinned.

He made a deep noise with his throat, almost a growl. Buffy quickly decided it was the sexiest noise she’d ever heard. He made her thighs ache.

Spike kissed her again. Hard. His teeth nipped at her bottom lip before he pulled it between his. “I’m gonna let go in a second and you are gonna get yourself on the other side of that door. Got it?”

She pouted. “It’s early still.”

He laughed gruffly. “Yeah, well I’ve still got myself a couple of hours of cold showers, don’t I?” He kissed her again, but lightly. “Good night, kitten.”

She kissed his cheek. “Good night, Spike.”

He pulled his hands away and took a large step back. “Be good.”

Laughing, she opened her front door and stepped inside.

He was halfway to his car when she shut the door and peeked out the window. Buffy ran up the stairs.

“Buffy?” Her mom called out. “You’re home early. Did everything go okay?”

Buffy stopped in her mother’s doorway and leaned against the frame. “So okay. Way okay.”

Her mom laughed. “That good?”

She walked in and dropped down on the bed beside her mom. “Better.”


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you. :)