Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey! Look, we're already at Chapter 10! :D

So, I firstly want to thank you all for voting at the Sunnydale Memorial Fanfiction Awards! I got runner-up in Best New Author, which blew my f*cking mind! Thank you, you lovely, wonderful people! Seriously, I never thought I'd come close! But wow, Jesus...

I hope you guys are enjoying the story as it progresses. There were a lot of issues in S6 that I hated, so I'm gonna try and sort them out my way, but similar to the original. I will remind you guys that there is a main character death here, eventually. But I'm not gonna give away any clues. Sorry. ;] ... Also, I hope you like how I've dealt with the characters. I surprised myself with how caring and understanding I made Willow, 'cause I despised her in this Season, until she went evil, then she was bearable. :P Again, addressing the Xander-hate, I don't like him much, but I want him to be better here, so be patient as I try and fix his silly ass self. Oh, and Dawn? Well, Joss and co made her a bitchy teenager in the first place, so I'm just sort of giving you guys an idea of my 14 y/o sister. :P

Oh, and I must apologise to everyone who was looking forward to finding out what Spike was hallucinating. I'm sorry I made it boring death-stuff, 'cause his alternate reality would've been cool.

Okay, so I'll try and update soon. Thanks.
Buffy shook her head. “The spell’s wrong. Spike is already dead! He’s a vampire for God’s sake! I mean, the spell isn’t right for him, maybe? Maybe we can find a more vamp-friendly spell? Something that senses the undead. You know? And as for his “essence”, that’s his soul, right? Well, he doesn’t have a soul for you to find. So we just try a different spell and work from there.”

Tara frowned sympathetically. “That could be it, Buffy. Maybe it’s off because he’s a vampire. But it was a very obvious absence, and I am concerned. But I can keep working on some spells, maybe alter this one so it’s more, um, vamp-friendly…”

The Slayer nodded. “Good. That’s good. We can fix this. We just need to keep thinking. Anya, how much time do you think we have left?”

The former vengeance demon looked uncomfortable. “Not much. From what I’ve seen, it won’t be long until Spike’s a big ole’ pile of ashes. You might want to move him somewhere less flammable than the sofa. Repairs after a fire in here would be needlessly costly. So, we could move him, and it’ll save you some cash when he does go up in flames?” She offered, clearly thinking she was being helpful.

Running a hand through her short hair, Buffy turned away from Anya, and looked down at Spike. “It’s not going to get that far,” she said through gritted teeth. “I won’t let it.”

With a supportive smile to her friend, Willow returned to the dining room, and started perusing all possible leads and links on-line to help with their demon problem.

A few minutes later, Buffy dropped into the seat beside her, her face cradled in her hands.

“What Anya said, she didn’t mean it, Buffy. She was just being, well, Anya.”

Smiling slightly, Buffy looked up. “I guess somebody has to think like that.”

Willow knew that her friend would refuse to entertain the idea that they might fail, she had seen it time and time again, the most recent being the threat of Dawn’s death. In the end, she had laid down her own life instead. No, the Slayer would never ever allow any of them to meet their deaths, not if there was something she could do to stop it.

“Well, she can be as negative as she likes, but in the meantime, we can keep looking.”

Buffy smiled at her gratefully. “Yup. Okay, I’m gonna go rejoin the guys and help with the book research. Let me know if you get anything.”

She stood up and headed back into the living room, and sat on the edge of the sofa once more, picking up a book. Tara had joined Dawn on the floor with her own text, as Anya perused hers from the armchair. Again, more time passed on, and they kept looking, until an excited Willow rushed into the room.

“Buffy, I found him. I found the demon. See?” She held up a printed sheet with a diagram of the demon, and its name underneath. “This is it?”

The Slayer nodded eagerly. “What does it say? Does it mention the cure?”

Willow smiled. “See? It’s gonna be okay. It’s pokey stinger carries an antidote to its own poison. We just need to find him, and get the antidote. I can brew it up, and Bob’s your uncle, we can save Spike.”

Buffy smiled widely. “That’s great news. Thanks, Will. Well, I guess I’ve got me a demon to catch. Dawnie, can you clear out a space in the basement for me please? We can chain the demon up there.” She headed upstairs to change into more patrol-appropriate clothing. When she came back downstairs, Willow was just hanging up the phone in the kitchen.

“I called Xander, he’s gonna meet you at Willy’s with the truck. I figured you might need some back-up.”

“Thanks. Have you got everything you need for the cure? Other than the antidote, obviously.”

“Me and Anya are gonna run by the Magic Box and pick up a few ingredients needed. I think it needs some Burba weed.”

“Good, Spike likes that. He puts it in his blood, makes it spicy, he says,” Buffy said absently, tying her hair back.

Willow was a little surprised at this, and Buffy hadn’t taken any notice of what she’d said herself, not realizing how many small bits of information on the vampire she had collected.

“Okay, I better go. See ya. Wish me luck,” Buffy said, heading out of the house.



Fifteen minutes later, Xander’s construction truck pulled up on the street across from the demon bar. Buffy was waiting on the pavement outside.

Xander got out, and headed over to her. “Hey, Buffster. If it isn’t my favourite neighbourhood Slayer. Will says you need my muscle.”

Buffy grinned. “And your truck. We gotta demon to get.”

He clapped his hands together. “Well, let’s go rough up some of the patrons of this fine establishment then.”

She laughed. “Sorry, Xan. Already done. Didn’t take much to wheedle out info on this demon. He’s as much a threat to the demon population as he is to us. I think they’re sorta glad I’m doing my job. For once.”

“Aw man. And here I was looking forward to being all intimidating…”

“Well, we can put your master skills of intimidation to use as we knock this thing out, chain him up, and haul his pokey self back to my basement.”

“Good plan. So where to?”

“Apparently, it’s set up shop in the woods to the west of the cemetery. It’s always the cemetery with the bad guys, why can’t they be original for once?”

“Ah, but Buff, then we couldn’t enjoy the wonderful Hollywood stereotypy. C’mon, get in the truck, we can drive over. I’ve got my tranq’ gun in the back. It’s a capture mission, right?”

“Affirmative,” Buffy sighed. “We better get this over with. Gotta get that antidote,” she said, getting into the passenger side.

“Right,” Xander said, carefully. “That antidote. For Spike? Tell me again why we’re getting an antidote for him? Why not just let him die?” He started up the truck.

“He’s one of us,” Buffy replied, quietly, staring out the window.

Pulling out onto the empty street, Xander shook his head. “He’s really not, Buff. Remember, evil soulless vampire? How hard did that demon hit you?”

“Xander, don’t. Spike is one of us, and he has been for a long time. Deal with it.”

“But how could he be one of us, Buffy? I just didn’t think you of all people would be going to all this trouble to save the Evil Undead.”

“What do you mean ‘me of all people’? And it’s funny how you forget that Anya was a vengeance demon for a thousand years, and you still told us we had to accept her. Spike is one of us, like Anya is, whether you like it or not. If it was Anya, if she had been poisoned, would you want me to tell you not to save her?”

“You’re the Slayer! You’re supposed to kill vamps, not save them. And as for the Anya thing, that’s different. I love her, and she’s human now. You can’t compare the two situations.”

“I’m going to save one of my friends, Xander. I know you don’t like him, but he helps us, and he really is one of us. I’m not gonna let him die.”

“Alright, I’ll help. I’m not happy that you think he’s your friend. But if it’s important to you, I’ll help. Anyway, we’re here. You wanna get out, walk? He might hear the truck if we go closer.”

“Sure,” Buffy said, climbing out as Xander pulled the truck over. He followed her, grabbing the tranquilizer gun from the bed of the truck. She picked up the chains, slinging them over her shoulder. As Xander switched his flashlight on, he looked over at her.

“No weapons, Buff? Not even a blunt object?”

“Don’t wanna risk hurting the demon so much that the antidote doesn’t work. Just wanna knock it out cold.”

“Okay then, let’s go.”

They walked through the dark woods, a mist surrounding them. Xander’s flashlight cut through the fog, lighting a path for them as they walked.

“So, this demon guy? Any special powers I should know about?” Xander asked casually.

“Yeah. It’s pokey-stinger thing? Stay the hell away from it. It’ll make you go all hallucination-y, and it creates some alternate reality in your brain.”
He nodded. “Is that what’s up with Spike?”

Her mouth tightened. “No. No, it’s just killing him. It affects demons differently.”

Xander sighed, and pulled her to one side. “Buff, look, sorry I’m being a jerk. If you really feel that he’s one of us and you, uh, care about him enough that you’re trying so hard to save him, then I can be okay with this. Really. I mean, he’s not totally an asshole all of the time, I guess. When you were…gone, he stuck around and really helped us out. And yeah, I can see he does care for you and Dawn. So, I know I sounded kind of dumb back there, but Buffy, I’m willing to help. Okay?”

Buffy gave him a shaky smile. “Thanks, Xan, that means a lot to –”

They were interrupted as the demon suddenly leapt into the clearing. Xander yelped in surprise, stumbling back. Buffy tensed, and struck out at the demon. It ignored her and sent Xander flying to the ground with a heavy blow. She barreled into it, tackling it. With a strong punch to its jaw, she kept it on the ground, restrained. Another punch.

Rising on one knee, Xander raised the tranquilizer gun and fired it at the demon. The dart struck it, but it didn’t react. Buffy thumped it once more. It retaliated, knocking her off, and kicking her into the stomach. She staggered backwards, losing her footing.

Xander stepped forward, striking the demon with the butt of the gun. It floored him once more, and Buffy jumped in, punching it repeatedly.

“Why. Won’t. You. Give. Up?” She asked through gritted teeth, a blow for each word.

She kicked it, pushing it away from her, giving Xander a window of opportunity to re-fire the gun. The dart landed in its torso again, but had no effect once more. Taking advantage of this momentary distraction, Buffy leapt onto its back, and propelled it forward, bashing its head against a tree. With one final hit to the back of its head, Buffy managed to knock it out cold. It slumped to the ground, and she moved away, breathing heavily, rubbing her tender abdomen.

A panting Xander appeared behind her. “I altered his reality,” he joked breathlessly, gesturing towards the demon. “Get it? I…” At her raised eyebrows, he sighed. “Never mind.”

“C’mon, Mister Funny, help me chain him up,” she said in amusement.

She retrieved the chains that had fallen to the ground when the demon had ambushed them, and began to secure the demon in them. When they finished, they dragged the bound demon back to Xander’s truck, and tossed him in the bed.

As they drove home, Buffy watched the demon anxiously, praying to whoever was up there and listening that this would work.


Chapter End Notes:
THAAAAANK YOU for reading. To my usual reviewers? I love you all. ;] Thanks guys, your support is bloody amazing.

Oh, and if you guys want, feel free to follow my twitter at:
https://twitter.com/HostilePoet_17

:D There's a really great BTVS community there. :)