Author's Chapter Notes:
GAH! Okay, sorry sorry S O R R Y for not updating for ages, and then giving you this pathetic chapter! But, my exams started this week, so my brain feels slightly shaken from extensive revision of the Oral Irish and French courses! So my timing and tiredness has been scattered everywhere!

Not much to say here, I don't like this chapter, so forgive me! *cowers from angry readers...*

Also, completely unbeta'd, my mistakes are my own, and I profusely apologise!!

But, whatever, enjoy, I guess? :]

Consulting the print-off of addresses, Buffy gave a frustrated sigh, and double-checked the seventh line. She shoved the page into her pocket, and nodded at the darkened house in front of them.

“That’s the one,” she said, turning to Spike.

He cast a look around the street, eyes narrowed as he checked for any other creatures lurking nearby. “Right then, pet. Ladies first?”

“What? So that I can look stupid when I bust down another door, and it’s not them?”

“Bloody courtesy, pet. An’ anyway, what if it is them, an’ we get attacked? I can’t go first, ‘cause I can’t fight back.”

“So, you want me to protect you? That it, huh?”

He growled impatiently. “ ‘S not what I meant. But I don’t know how handy I’d be with a bangin’ headache after I take a swing at these bloody human baddies of yours.”

She rolled her eyes. “This is exactly why I told you to stay behind! But no… You had to tag along all macho, and… and stupid! How am I supposed to take these guys out, when I’m trying to protect you?”

He shoved his hands into his pockets angrily. “Well, I thought I’d bloody look out for you, is all. Make sure nothin’ gets the drop on you. But you’re so bleedin’ high an’ mighty that you can’t see a nice gesture when it jumps up an’ bites you on the bloody behind, you stupid bint!”

Her eyes narrowed. “I’m not stupid. You’re the idiot who’s dumb enough to try and go after humans, even though you know you’re just gonna get your ass kicked!”

She stormed up the driveway to the front door. Behind her, Spike gave a frustrated snarl.

“What is your bloody problem? I’m tryin’ to help! An’ you’re not makin’ it any easier for me!”

“It’s not my job to make things easier for you. My job is to prevent evil and stop the bad guys running about doing evil things. And frankly, you’re getting in the way of that right now.”

“I’m jus’ tryin’ to help you!”

“By distracting me? I can’t deal with your chip firing around these guys, and making me lose concentration. There’s nothing for you to do here.”

He glared at her blackly. “Alright, then, luv. I’ll be off on my bloody way home, if that’s how you’d like it!” He turned around sharply, his duster billowing out behind him. She pulled a face at the vampire’s rapidly retreating back, and sighed.

Turning to knock on the front door, she was suddenly blind-sided from behind, as someone heavy tackled her to the wooden boards of the porch. For a wild moment, she felt fear rush through her as she contemplated the idea that Spike had lost it and attacked her.

Rolling over onto her back, she threw her legs into her attacker’s abdomen. It went flying off of her, and she took the opportunity to jump to her feet.

It charged at her again, and she caught sight of it this time. A demon with a waxy grey face, and large black eyes. She ducked his attempted punch, and tried to land her own.

However, her opponent was strong. He grabbed her and flung onto the front lawn. She winced, and tried to stand up again. Standing over her, he landed a heavy punch into her jaw, sending her sprawling onto the ground again.

As his foot crashed into her back, she choked out, “Spike!”

The demon was much too strong for her to handle on her own. She managed to roll to the side, getting to her feet. She grabbed his arm as he aimed for another punch, throwing him to the side.

Raising her leg to kick him, the demon shoved her roughly against the car parked in the driveway. As her temple collided with the metal car door, bright spots of colour exploded behind her eyes. He fisted her short hair, and slammed her face through the car window.

She cried out, and slumped to the ground. The demon stood over her, and she noticed a wet spiked skewer protruding from his forearm. Her eyes widened in alarm as he aimed it towards her.

Suddenly, a streak of flashing platinum and whirling black leather flew past her. Spike crashed into the demon, hitting it with a flurry of punches. Buffy eased herself up, and hurried over to them. Now, the demon had gained the upper-hand on Spike, sweeping his feet out from under him. Buffy tried to intervene, throwing a kick at the demon. It batted her away, punching her hard into the face.

Spike was on his feet again, and he pulled the demon away from Buffy. With the vampire wrestling the demon, Buffy caught sight of that skewer on its arm again.

“Spike, look out!” She yelled.

He glanced over to her, momentarily distracted. His opponent used this to his advantage, and thrust its weapon into Spike’s side. The vampire’s eyes widened for a moment, before he stumbled. As his body hit the ground with a dead thud, Buffy rushed over to him.

The demon kicked out at her, his booted foot connecting with her chin. She gave a weak yelp of surprise, and crumpled to the ground beside Spike. He stirred feebly, and his eyes squinted open.

“B-Buffy?” He croaked.

She shook herself, and groaned as her cracked ribs pulled in protest. “Spike, are you okay?” She leaned over him, her hand grasping his.

He gasped a weak chuckle. “Never better.” Suddenly, his eyes rolled back in his head, and with a shudder, he became still.

Spike?”

Behind her, the demon approached, and slammed his foot hard into the base of her head.

Pain burst through her. She fell forward.

Everything went black…


Chapter End Notes:
Review if you want, I'll try and update soon!!

THANKS FOR READING.