Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you for the reviews, I finally updating the story.






The day turned into night and down by the shore the waves smashed home as the heavy wind preceded a great storm approaching. Overlooking the sea was a great cavern decorated with grim-looking gargoyles glaring accusingly on whoever met their cold gaze. The inner walls of the cavern were illuminated by torches, giving it an eerie yet home-y feeling. Guarded by minions dressed in lilac cloaks a gothic throne stood situated in the middle of the cavern completing whole the scene.






In the midst of it all this, stood a Master demon in his full height, dressed in suede slacks and a matching west that would fit right into the Charles Dickens-era. On the top of his head was a mop of wild glossy red curls and combined his green eyes and freckles it made him look angelic, like the very picture of innocence.

Sniffing the air the Master Demon came to a full stop, turning around and facing the arrival of a Pravtik demon. “Master Rufus, I've faced the Slayer” the demon said gruffly, kneeling before the throne.




“And came out alive? That's impressive, I'd say. Was she even injured?” Rufus asked in a hollow voice, blinking down at the creature kneeled at his feet.




“Badly, my Master” the demon told him frankly, with every intention not to irritate the Master.




“Ah ha. Then you were successful and shall be rewarded” Rufus said with an impish grin as he crooked his finger to his closest minion to handle the Pravtik demon the money he had earned.




“Master, I am ever grateful” the demon wheezed back in response as he eagerly counted his money, slithering backwards with his tail swinging happily back and forth from his feline body.




“And what of my Greyarmers?” Rufus demanded, eyes glowing dangerously.




“Huh? Oh! They're defending the prize as we speak” the Pravtik demon said in response, merely shrugging his broad shoulders.




“Defending?!” Master Rufus sputtered, his British accent thick. “Why would they do that? She is not suppose so get close to it!” Getting to his feet, he started to pace back and fourth, gesturing wildly. “Of all the bleeding things that could happen...Gnarl, you have deceived me, you have not meet my demands” he growled as Gnarl flinched in response when Rufus' eyes blazed with fury.




“But Master, I-I did what you asked, I-” Gnarl stammered, his yellow eyes blinking rapidly.

The minion standing closest to him snatched back the money from Gnarl and a few others blocked his path to the throne.


“Master Rufus haven't asked you to leave yet” one of the guards said in a gruff voice and over the guards' shoulder Gnarl could see Master Rufus picking up a hot fire-poker from the fireplace.




Wheezing Gnarl's pointy ears pulled back in distaste. “What is going on here?” he asked, eyes going back and forth from the hot poker to Rufus.




“This is your reward, Gnarl. I give you death itself” Master Rufus hissed through his teeth, eyes blazing.




“But w-why, Master?” Gnarl trembled.




“Well, don't take it personally. Just feel like it is all” Rufus responded without empathy, grabbing Gnarl's head and jammed the hot fire-poker through the



temple. The poker made a gurgling noise when it penetrated the skull and green liquid gushed from the wound. Gnarl's eyes rolled back with his mouth slacked as he fell onto the cavern floor, twitching a few times before coming to rest.




“Rotten soldiers who never finish a job properly. What can I say? I suck at hiring people” Rufus said under his breath, dropping the poker before wiping his hands on his pockets and slouching down in his throne like a petulant child.




“I fully agree with you, Master Rufus” a female voice purred seductively from the shadows before Nelligan emerged sauntering up to the throne before bowing down in front of the Master Demon, all while grinning.




Rufus responded with a toothy grin, throwing his hands up in the air. “Finally, someone in this godforsaken place that can spice things up a bit, the royal bloody Queen herself pays me a visit! I do remember promising myself to summon you whenever I'd start a riot on the Hellmouth. Riots are no fun without you, Nell”




“Oh, stop flattering me, Pinocchio,” Nelligan grinned mischievously from her crouched position before standing and lighting herself a cigarette, giving him a 'if you don't mind' look.




“Gosh, what a friggin' coincidence” Nelligan smirked as she started pacing around the cavern. “I'm here to take down the Slayer and you're here to bring the whole damn town down for good. When I heard you were back I just had to go see for myself, I mean how long has it really been?"




“Well, last time I saw you was around the roarin' twenties” Rufus said smirking around his razor teeth, while pouring himself a drink from a nearby carafe.




“Yeah, lot has happened since, the Master got killed and then there was the Anointed One...” Nelligan said looking away for-longingly, before shaking her head as if shaking herself out of those thoughts and she stomping her cigarette “Anyway, what are you up to now?”




“I'm gathering my army, announcing myself the new Master of Sunnydale and I've got myself the Axe of the Red Ones” Rufus smiled chillingly when Nelligan's eyes widened in surprise at the end. “And you see I really don't want it to fall into the wrong hands. Maybe you could help me out with that?”




His red eyes snapped over to the entrance where one Greyarmers entered the cavern and bowed infront of the throne and delivered the precious axe into his hands.




"What a fine piece of work," Rufus sighed. "Don't you think? I mean look at it, crafted in bronze and iron with precious Viking symbols with small golden ornaments decorating around the handle, it looks like a wand that the mighty Wizard of Oz could own, but it is in my hands now"




“May I?” Nelligan asked with barely contained glee.




“'Course. Be my guest” he said offhandedly, taking a seat up on the throne that was far too big for his lithe body, swinging his legs back and forth as the minion handled the precious axe over. “It's what you came here for right?” he said in a chilled tone.




“Partly” Nelligan responded absently, holding it up for inspection as she caressed her fingers over it with a mesmerized smile. “So, you want me to help you out, right?”




“Yes, since my Greyarmers have failed their mission I was thinking we could perform the spell on you and bind you to it while increasing your strength. Then you'll be able you can guard the Axe from that malice-happy bitch. What do you say, are you game or what, Nell?” Rufus said as his eyes now lit up in a creepy manner, looking thirsty for slaughter.




“I wouldn't say no to that” Nelligan grinned as she wiping off her leather jacket and placing herself onto her knees in front of the throne, awaiting the ritual.




Letting the axe touch each shoulder, Rufus mumbled a few Latin phrases quietly with closed eyes before picking up an urn filled with black liquid.




Not a single emotion escaped his face as he kneeled down by a great pentagram painted onto the floor with his head bent. Rufus kept his eyes squeezed shut, concentrating so much he was shaking, using every ounce of energy of his being while painting the final piece of the pentagram, chanting for himself.




“Let it rise now to earth and let the Powers That Be tremble at its marvel. Listen as I summon thee and release your power onto earth" he breathed heavily as sweat dripped down his brow.




"This is the beginning of a new era. This is the beginning of the end of the time! Hail our dark Master!” the minions shouted back in answer.




Slowly by the second, the Master Demon channeled his energy to earth until the magic surged through his body, spreading through his whole being.




“I call you forth, your Unholiness, most Unclean One. Hear me and answer to my call. I call forth the powers and bring forth your power. Show thyself and accept my offering”




"This is the beginning of a new era. This is the beginning of the end of the time! Hail our dark Master!” the minions repeated.




He tilted its content over Nelligan's chest slowly. As a liquid hit her chest and she felt it burn like acid through her clothing, seeping into her flesh.




Crying out in anguish, Nelligan sank down onto all her fours, trying to fight off the pain. Then suddenly it hit her, a feeling the power that cruised through her veins greater power she'd ever experienced before floored all her senses. And in a motion her head snapped backwards and an inhuman growl emerged as her eyes changed into deep purple. Standing up she snapped the nearest minions head off and went off bashing up several minions to Master Rufus delight.




"So much power, so little time" Rufus grinned psychotically. "I do believe our Nelligan is ready to play now Slayer and she is coming right at you"




The Bronze was crowded that very Saturday night. People were dancing and drinking, bodies moving intimately, losing themselves to the rhythm. The energy was high in the club, the bass was pumping heavily as people were bumping and grinding to the sweaty beat.




'As if they just found their true religion,' Rufus mused from upstairs on the balcony were he stood along with two of his minions, scanning the crowd.




Rufus breathed in deeply, taking in the sweat mixed with desire in the air, and leaning over to a minion and commanded “Close off the exits and turn off the blasted music, will ya? And bring me some heavy brandy”




The crowd danced on the lower level, enjoying themselves unabashedly to the heavy beat when suddenly the lights shut off and the music was turned off abruptly. A few lights were directed onto the stage.




The Sunnydale crowd started to complain and a few tried to exit the doors but the doors were barricaded. Then a single spotlight was directed onto the stage directing all the attention from the crowd as a kid with red hair and freckles took the microphone stand and cleared his throat.




“Welcome to Bronze this evening, folks" Rufus spoke into it with an eerie childlike voice.




"Get off the stage, kid!" a loud man called to the stage, hollered by his friends "It's late after your beddy-by isn't it?" a few patrons joined in his laughter.




Snorting, Rufus continued “As I said, welcome all. Tonight is a very special night, for I am now on announcing myself as the new Master of Sunnydale. And you're all invited to my party,” Rufus spoke monotone before pausing and several people exchanged brief wary looks at the kid with cherubic features speaking into the mic as if he was full grown up man.




“And you are all a main course to be served” he said deadpan and then burst out laughing, dropping the mic and whistled. The doors of the Bronze were blasted open and a dozen Greyarmers came from all directions. People started yelling and screaming, centering themselves in the room as the demons approached them predatory from all directions.




Backed up in the furthest corner of the club, Joey crashed into the wall. He couldn't believe what he saw. He saw the monsters slashing and bashing, people getting pounced on and thrown into walls. He squeezed his eyes shut and covered his ears and after a while the screams subdued and only a few moans of agony was heard. He opened his eyes and saw blood and guts everywhere, that was all that was left of all the people.




Panting Joey reached for a weapon, anything that could save him. Scanning the room, his eyes fell on the redheaded boy stalking around the room predatory, twisting neck after neck with glee. It was as if the freak danced around him, as if it was all a game. Joey would like to wipe that psychotic grin off his lips, even if he had to slash it in two pieces.




Suddenly the little freak stopped in mid-movement and directed all his attention to Joey. The freak's eyes opened wider as his irises widening until they shifted into a pair of penetrating red eyes.




"Hello, don't think we've met, my name is Rufus, you wanna play with me?" he said, tilting his head expectingly.




"Get the hell away from me, you freak!" Joey yelled and grabbed the neared object at hand and aimed it for Rufus' head that he easily dodged.




"Guess you don't wanna play then" Rufus said with a small grin playing on his lips, as he inhaled fear. "Don't I know you? Weren't you that mate who disrespected me and hated my speech"




"Hey, man no hard feeling, okay? I was just-" Joey began but Rufus didn't seem to listen as his eyes sparkled with mirth.




Snarling Rufus approached him predatory and Joey backed hastily, darting to the left, but the freak intercepted him. "Hush, lil' one. Be quiet now. You'll be very sorry if you struggle against me,” Rufus told him warningly. “An' we don't want that, do we?” he said calmly, caressing Joey's dark hair. "Hush, little boy don't you cry. Everything is going to be all right"




“I-I promise I wont tell anyone about what happened here. Just please let me go” Joey sniffled loudly while trembling while he touched her skin.




“Yes, you'd like that wouldn't you?” Rufus leered and Joey nodded with wide grey eyes “Oh, well, I've got great plans for you and for that, you'll have to bleed”




“No!” he yelled just before Rufus slammed him with inhuman strength back into the wall and his head cracked. Joey gagged on his tongue, sagging down the wall in a heap on the floor, leaving a trail of blood behind. Rufus stood watching Joey for minute, before he tensed for a second and then turned to a nearby minion.




“I think he just twitched. That was goddamn creepy. Dead boys do not move”




“Don't think he did move, Master Rufus” the minion said in response.




“Oh, so it's all good then. Don't want him to be awake for this” he replied and ripped Joey's stomach open, emptying it of its content and innards emerged, polluting the air with its smell.




“Empty him of all blood” Rufus commanded his closest minion and walked over to the bar, wiping his hands on a napkin and shot back his brandy.




After the minions finished splashing Joey's blood in a round circle on the floor along with the blood of the rest of the strewn corpses they left Rufus by himself to sit down indian style, in the midst of all the carnage.




Slowly he painted two lines with blood in his face, one vertical and one linear and then proceeded with his ritual.




"I have offered you great sacrifices so now I summon thee. I beg of you to bring forth your power and rise the Spawn of Hell, bring forth thy power and rise it to earth!”




The floor shone with blue light and pulsed up into the roof, the whole building shook as the floor broke open and split. Rufus watched the whole spectacle looking astonished, breathing heavily in the dust as the red spotlights shone down onto him and Rufus' eyes rolled back as he collapsed.




After a long moment he blinked adjusting to his surroundings as he slowly by the second coming back to conscious. Cracking his eyes wide open, he coughed and lifted himself up from the floor, shaking dust from his hair and swiping nosebleed from under his nose.




From the floor the blue light swirled and figures rose into fully corporal forms. One by one children identical to himself emerged from the ground and directed their eyes to him.




His own army awaiting his command. “Finally,” Rufus smirked.




When Buffy kicked the door off its hinges to run inside the Bronze, the fire alarm rang like crazy and she backed out almost instantly when the fiery warmth and smoke hit her immediately, almost scorching her flesh with its warmth, making her cough and her eyes water.




“Get back you stupid bint!” Spike roared in game-face, pulling her back out by her collar on the street again.




“It could still be people inside!” she cried out in response, desperation clear in her voice. "Let go of me!"




His yellow eyes flashed her way, to the building and then back to her “Wait here, okay?”




Nodding, Buffy pulled her jacket up to cover her nose as Spike ran inside. Even if he was not bothered by the smoke, it burned his eyesight.




When Spike entered the Bronze he took in the sight of the disemboweled bodies strewn all over every inch of the floor and felt no heartbeats anywhere.”Cor, someone really but in a throughout job of covering their tracks...” he muttered wondering what kind of menace could have done it, something that the Scourge of Europe might had committed in their glory days. Whoever had done this, it nearly made him impressed.




When he passed the dismembered bodies he could see the whole event unfolding in front of his eyes. Using his preternatural senses he saw as complete chaos ensured as panic spread quickly as a wildfire, the screams as one by one got slain, body parts separating from one another and blood and guts splaying everywhere.




As he stomped over decapitated heads and severed limbs, inhaling the blood staining floor to ceiling, Spike noticed a circle of red on the middle of the dance floor and stepping closer he tried to make it out as he was blinking back tears that ran from his irritated eyes. The circle was made of blood and around it was a few burned down candles. In his head the picture suddenly became very clear, someone had been practicing magic here and the bodies must have been the sacrifice, Spike concluded before backing out of the building.




Grabbing a still coughing Buffy, he pulled her inside the Bronze, avoiding the spreading fire. “Hello? Is there anyone in here?" Buffy yelled and tore her arm out of the grip, coming to full stop. "Hello? Anyone?"




The response was a high-pitched shriek further inside the Bronze, exchanging a brief look with Spike, Buffy took off.




“Help! Somebody! Please help me!” the girl screamed again and Buffy charged for her, when the boy fast as a lightning pushed her away and the girl hit the nearest wall, screaming before her throat ripped open and blood splayed everywhere as she sank down with a glazed-over look in her eyes.




Spike intercepted the boy and hauled him up against a wall who snarled and hissed in response before Spike hit him clear across the nose and let the body slip down into the ground out cold.




Buffy's hazel eyes quietly observed the scene where the eyes of the girl stared blankly back at her, blood pumping out of her neck."I could have saved her. Oh god Spike, I failed her" Buffy said before bursting out in tears, balling up her fists.




Turning back to look at the wall they found out that the red-haired boy had vanished into thin air as fast as he'd been present.




Buffy was shaken out of her thoughts when Spike suddenly gripped her arm “Ain't nothing we can do for her now, luv. Let's go” he said, pulling her arm, but Buffy remained adamant on her spot so he employed another tactic. "It is far to late to do anything, but help was already on the way. Firetrucks are heading this way" he said, concentrating on his enhanced hearing.




“Hey, luv” Spike said, tugged her arm to get her attention. "We have to leave."




"Spike, let go off me" she said, wrenching her arm out of his grip and leant over the bar shutting her eyes, completely missing Spike watching her with stunned silence until he swallowed looking at her as he'd been slapped.




A growl of warning tore his throat,"Bleeding chit!" he gestured wildly. “I don't know what kinda twisted game your playin' here, pet. You run hot and cold all the time, 'til I don't know what to think anymore”




Her eyes flared for a second “Yeah? Then maybe you should keep away from me then” she countered, turning away “And quit following me. I don't want you around me, you are not helping” she spit and Spike stiffened before turning back to look her with betrayed eyes.




"Fine," he said, he muscle in his jaw clenching hard.




"Fine," Buffy mirrored with barely contained rage.




They glared at each other for a long blink, neither dropping his or hers glare.




“Hey, is this a private party or what?” Someone called over to them and the pair tore away from eachother as if burnt.




Turning around, the girl who had just been lying bleeding her neck out stood up from the floor and ran her hands through her hair that was plastered to her skull with blood, grinning. “If so, can it wait? 'Cause I’m all eager for a serious fight and I can’t wait all night on you two to finish your physical act” she grinned widely.




“Nelligan Anacoth,” Spike stated, narrowing his yellow eyes slightly, fangs gleaming. "I should've known, those tricks you got up your sleeve are getting old"




“William Pratt” she greeted in the same manner, cocking her hip “Long time no see” Nelligan said closing her arms over her cleavage, tilting her head invitingly.




Buffy scrunched up her nose showing her immediate dislike.




“Really haven't been long enough seeing the last time we bumped into each other, you tried to plot and turn my allies against me” Spike sneered back, fangs bared.




“Well, what can I say? Girls just wanna have their fun” she grinned, struggling absently. "By the way, thanks for saving me" she said pointedly to Buffy with a sarcastic edge. "Personally I thought the Slayer's job was to help people, not letting them bleed to death in the gutter. I think you're losing your edge, Summers, say maybe it has something to do with the death experience? Maybe she's getting a wee bit of rusty, dontcha think, William?"




“I'm standing right here" Buffy said, narrowing her eyes. "Did she say William? Who is she, Spike? More importantly what is she?” Buffy said quizzically with raised palms while flicking her eyes between them two.




“Evil throughout, pet” he said tightly, never letting his glare waver.




Buffy studied the woman, who was considerably beautiful she noticed as she did a double check. About the same height as herself, slender and dressed in black. Her pretty face spoke of elegance, with protruding cheekbones, a long nose and bee-stung lips. She had a European look to herself, with short uneven jet black hair that really wasn't her true color, Buffy noted. But the eyes were the most spectacular thing, though, they were a pair large silvery eyes with predatory tint in them.




Scrunching up her nose, Nelligan spoke “So, this the new girl? You've got the Slayer ensnared?" she said, critically examining Buffy from head to toe. "Guess you can go lower than that slutty Morticia Addams”




“Hey!” Buffy and Spike said in unison.




Spike narrowed his eyes, growling “Now not another bad word 'bout Dru, don't you dare utter her name” he said, pointing at Nelligan before crossing his arms over his chest.




Nelligan shook her head “Can't say I approve of her. Anyhow, you never had great taste in women” she sneered out loud. “It's so typical of you, William. Getting yourself all whipped” Nelligan drawled, shaking her head.




“Oh, sod off” he growled in response, flashing his fangs.

Turning to Buffy, Nelligan reached out her hand, leering. “I'm Nelligan by the way. You'll be seeing a lot more of me from now on”




"I so looking forward to it" Buffy scowled at the pro-offered hand with distaste, cocking her hip. “I say we fight right here and right now. Can make it easy for you and kill ya instantly. It is fast and a lot less painful” she said whipping up her stake.




“No, Slayer” Spike said with a slight shake with his head.




“No?” Buffy said, quirking an eyebrow.




He sighed. “She's a master, luv”




“Master...?” Buffy said impatiently, waiting for him to elaborate.




“Do I have to spell it out for you?” Spike said exasperated, rolling his eyes frustratedly “She's a Queen, luv”




Buffy rolled her eyes with a grim smile “Oh. Well, no problemo, I've killed gods and whatever creeps around at night so I think I can handle her”




“Know you can, but this fight needs to be taken elsewhere with more hefty weapons, luv” he protested.




“If you two quit bickering, can we like fight already? Clock ticking away and so” Nelligan said resignedly, crossing her arms.




Casting a look over to Spike, Buffy spoke “See? She even agrees with me. She's all with the come-kill-me-arguing”




“Slayer...” he growled low in his throat, warningly.




“Oh, shut up already, Spike.” Buffy replied whipping her hair over her shoulder before turning her head back to Nelligan.




Only she was gone.




“Now you made her leave you stupid, bleached thing! And I missed out on a helluva good fight!”




“Trust me, I just saved you from making a real stupid mistake here,” he said with a snark. "That girl isn't just anyone, when the time is right we'll collect her bones"




'How dare he!'




“Whatever, I'm out of here” she said frustratedly, tucking her stake into her waistline of her jeans before stalking away in another direction with Spike hot on her heels.




Chapter End Notes:
to be continued