"Excuse me!"

"What! I said he was in grave danger and WOULD die if you didn't HELP him!"

"Wait! No! That came out wrong! I told you this wasn't going to work." Buffy glared at Anne.

"Not when you deliver it like that! Do you have no finesse."

Spike hurriedly pushed a few buttons on the phone on his desk before speaking into the intercom, all the while staring at the crazed woman sitting opposite him in his office. "Charlie can you get in here!"

"Sure thing, boss." Gunns voice popped back loud and clear through the speaker.

"I told you that he'd think I was a raving lunatic!"

Spike nodded his head in agreement with the young woman who seemed to be speaking to herself and slowly started to rise from his chair.

"Ooooh I've got it! Sing this! It's the song I used to sing to him as a child. Early one morning just as the sun was rising, I heard a young maid sing in the valley below-"

"No way! I'm not doing that!" Buffy's eyes widened, shooting Anne a look that said 'you're absolutely crazy'.

"Whats up boss?"

Gunn stepped into the office and took in the site before him. The young blonde woman was standing in the middle of Spikes office, staring over Spikes shoulder and talking to the wall. Spike met his eyes and made a few gestures with his hands next to his head, spinning them around in a motion to indicate that the young woman was, in Spikes words, bloody barmy.

"Can you escort Miss Summers here, out of my office and out of the building please."

Spike had one hand behind his back, reaching for the weapon he kept in the back of his pants as Gunn stepped up behind Buffy.

"Yeah...."

Buffy felt the man Detective Giles called Charlie step up behind her, ready to escort her from the building and she knew she had no choice. She sent a glare Anne's way before opening her mouth.

"E-early one morning just as the sun was rising. I-I heard a young maid sing in the valley below..."

At Buffy's pointed look and wide eyes Anne continued the song.

"Right, yes. Oh, don't deceive me, oh never leave me. How could you-"

"Oh, don't deceive me, oh-" Buffy spun around, her hands up in defense as Gunn stepped closer to her as she sung.

"How could you use a poor maiden so."

Buffy almost stumbled over her words as Anne hovered over to stand next to her son, staring at him wistfully as she sang into his ear. Buffy was processing the words as she sang them and stopped mid sentence to drop her hands and stare at Anne.

"Seriously. You sang that to him as a child? No. You know what. I'll go on my own, you don't need to escort me out. Sorry Anne, I tried." Buffy grabbed her purse from the floor, shaking her head at Gunn who had stepped back and stormed from the room, mumbling to herself.

Spike stood there with his mouth slightly open, not believing what he had just witnessed.

"What-" Gunn made a move to sit down opposite Spike who had slumped backwards to lean against his desk. He almost broke out into a laugh, but stopped at seeing his partners face. "the hell was that?"

"I have no bloody idea."

Anne puffed out a breath of air, blowing her ghostly hair from her eyes as she crossed her arms and glared at her son.

"Well don't just stand there William. Go after the girl!"

Spike opened and closed his mouth, no words forming as his mind struggled to put sense to what had happened.

"I'll be right back mate."

He was gone in an instant, leaving Gunn to slide down into the previously occupied chair, confusion covering his face.

"What the hell just happened?"

.......................................................................................


"God damn ghosts. Why can't you all just leave me the hell alone."

"Well, you sure stuffed that up didn't you."

"Great juuuust great." Buffy threw her hands up in the air as Anne's blurry form popped up next to her, gliding along as she hurried her way down the street and as far away from the station as she could get. Buffy was close to tears, having just embarrassed the hell out of herself. Not only did Mrs. Mackenzie probably think she was insane, but now the police crime unit of Sunnydale sure as hell did. It wouldn't be long now until someone came to fetch her for another stint in the loony-bin.

"Miss Summers!"

"Leave me alone, Anne. I can't help your son. He along with his whole damn unit is probably standing back there laughing it up and talking about the new crazy loon in town! God, I'm so stupid."

"It was an unfortunate start, but I don't think it's irredeemable."

"Shyeah, well, I beg to differ." Buffy rounded the corner of the street her shop was on and only got a few steps in before the pounding of shoes on the pavement was heard behind her.

"Miss Summers!"

"Oh god! Please just kill me now." Buffy looked to the sky, desperation on her face. Sending out a silent prayer, wishing that the earth would swallow her whole and spare her the minutes she would have to spend explaining herself to the handsome detective with the captivating blue eyes.

"Miss Summers, please stop."

"It's Buffy." She continued to walk, seeing her shop in the distance. The jogging footsteps fell into place beside her to her left, to her right the glowing form of Anne floating along beside her.

"Buffy, could you please stop. I have a few questions."

"Oh, I bet you do." Buffy half but laughed, fishing her keys out of from her purse.

"Can you just stop walking for five minutes- Oh."

Buffy stopped out the front of her shop and opened the door, gesturing for him to enter, a small smile on her face as she shut the door in Anne's ghostly face. She felt like poking her tongue out at her persistent ghost who just folded her arms in defiance, gliding straight through the door, quite smug with herself. Clearly she wouldn't be gotten rid of as quickly as she had hoped.

"How did you do tha'? Before in my office."

"Yup!" Buffy said, popping the 'P' as she lent back on her shop counter.

"In my office, you sang a song tha' no one and I mean no one but my mother sang to me as a child." Spike's face was a mask of confusion as he spoke, his hands gesturing a lot which was an indicator that he was nervous.

"Look, Detective Giles-" Buffy started.

"Spike."

"Look, Spike, I tried explaining it all before in your office. I can see ghosts. Your mother, who I might add is rather persistent, popped into my store this morning demanding that I go see you and give you an urgent message."

"Right. I'm going to die." He paced back and forth in front of her, rubbing his temples. "Let me just try to wrap my head around this for a mo'."

Buffy nodded, cutting a glare at Anne over his shoulder as she started to open her mouth that said 'Don't even!'

"You can see and talk to ghosts?"

"Yes.

"Ghosts are real?"

"Yes."

"This is the part tha's a bit," Spike sighed and shook his head. "The ghost of my mother came to see you to warm me of my impending death?"

"Yes-"

"W-well see... the thing is-"

Buffy shot up and away from the counter before he could utter another word. He jumped slightly at the movement, her eyes wide, one hand outstretched and a finger pointing to the opposite side of the counter. He couldn't see anything there and from his point of view it looked like she was talking to the cardboard box that sat on her counter. It had a wooden statue poking out of it with packing peanuts spilling onto the counter top around it.

"What! No, 'no the thing is'! You said death! Grave danger and death!" Her eyes seemed to move around the room, following a form he couldn't see. Spike tracked along with her movements before she turned to face him, a glare on her face. A glare that seemed to be shot directly at him and had him taking a step back.

She was a fierce young looking woman who Spike didn't fancy ever getting on the wrong side of.

"Y-yes well I may have exaggerated that last part just a little." A sheepish look came across Anne's face as she gestured a small amount with her fingers. Buffy growled in response and through her hands up in the air in defeat.


Chapter End Notes:
Just posting a quick short chapter before I get flown away for a few days with work. What are your thoughts? Liking where it's going?