Buffy woke to a pounding headache.

Trying to move and raise her arms to her head to find out what was causing the throbbing against her temple she found herself unable. It was then that she realized her arms were stuck by her sides, pinned down by a heavy weight.

What the hell!

A sharp stab of panic shot through her, calming only momentarily when she felt the soft familiar mattress beneath her.

I'm still in my room.

She remembered going to bed after her disastrous dinner with Spike and remembered falling into a restless sleep, plagued by nightmares that kept her tossing and turning until the wee hours of the morning and then there was nothing but darkness.

But, she was not alone now.

There was a grumble that sounded from down near her hip, a sound that wasn't hers. She let out a groan of protest when she tried to move her hips and a throb of pain echoed through her bones. Buffy tried to wriggle her legs free of the weight that kept her pinned down and failed. Her body was sore, her hip aching.

She reached out tentatively and felt for her waist, eyes going wide when her hands came in contact with hair. She ran her fingers through the tangled mass for a few seconds and her body tensed up when the person at her hip moved, the head nuzzling into her skin.

Oh my god!

Buffy's eyes were wide, snatching her hand back up as if she had been burned. The face nuzzling against her side made another noise.

Is that... purring? What the-

The arm that had been across her torso and was the cause of pinning her down moved, fingers trailing along her stomach before moving across to her opposite thigh. The owners fingers lingered there for a few moments, the head that lay at her hip stilled its movement before something cold and wet struck her skin, her hip burning hot in an angry protest.

Something changed within her and she let out her own growl and a startled shout before she jumped, arms and limbs flailing as she pushed the person off of the bed. They fell with a shout and Buffy couldn't help but slide off the other side of the bed to hide on the floor, her head just above the mattress as she tried to peer over the top.

"Bloody hell, luv. Wha' you do that for!"

"S-Spike?" Buffy's heart was racing a million miles an hour in her chest. "What the hell were you doing?"

"Me? You're the one who pushed me off the bloody bed!"

Buffy couldn't control her breathing, her breaths coming short and in panicked gasps.

What was Spike doing in my bed? What has he done to me now?

Spike stared, his gaze quizzical and taken aback when her eyes flashed a yellow-gold before him.

"Exactly! The bed! My bed! What were you doing in my bed?"

She moved to push herself up off the mattress and for the first time glanced at her blood smeared hands, the sight doing little to stop the racing in her chest. She glanced at the mattress where, moments ago, she had been sleeping and noticed it too was smeared with dry blood. Her head ached and her chest felt tight.

What did he do to me?

"Buffy-"

She didn't realize Spike had moved to come and stand almost in front of her before he was only a few feet away. Her eyes widened in sheer panic when she saw a faint hint of red on his cheek and lips.

"S-Stay away from me!"

Spike reached out for her and instantly regretted it the moment his muscles twitched to move. Buffy's yellow-gold eyes narrowed and focused on him, brows closing together as her lips formed a sharp line. With all the strength she possessed in her tiny frame she pushed his arm away before delivering an uppercut blow to his stomach. Buffy grabbed onto his head before he could retaliate and smashed it against one of the bed posts, watching him crumble to the floor with a thud.

Buffy knew one thing was for certain. She couldn't stay here another minute. It wasn't safe.

Spike had told her over dinner that he would help her kill Angelus, but she knew that where the crazed Drusilla was concerned that he would never see reason. Spike had drugged her with sleeping potions numerous times, locked her in a room with no windows and she suspected after last nights ease at confessing her truths to him that he had also laced her meal with a truth serum.

He was a liar and a manipulator and couldn't be trusted.

Especially not when she had just woken up to him laying across her hip, her hands bloodied from fighting him off as he'd tried to feed from her and her head aching from a suspected blow to the head that he had no doubt delivered.

"You taste even better."

Buffy knew from his words that haunted her that he had indeed tasted her blood before. She rushed around the room and grabbed the garments that she had been traveling in for weeks. The items had been cleaned, but the leather and materials were well worn and had definitely seen better days. She didn't care, the blow she had delivered would not keep Spike down for long and she planned on being gone when he woke.

I can't stay here another minute.

Tossing her ripped and bloodied night gown onto the bed she changed, tying the laces of her boots as she thought of her plan.

She didn't know where Giles or his companions Willow, Oz and Tara fit into Spike's world, but if they were his accomplices, then they too could not be trusted. She was no ones puppet to be tugged, manipulated and played with.

If she wanted justice and vengeance for the wrongs done to her and her family, then she would do it alone.

Walking around the room she blew out the remainder of the candles that burned, wisps of smoke rising and filling the room with their smell. She slunk to the door and closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It was silent on the other side, but that didn't mean her guards didn't still hold their watch.

She tried the door and to her surprise it opened with ease, not locked at all.

It swung open silently, allowing her to sneak and hide on the inside against the wall, shadowed in darkness waiting to see if anyone came in. Two guards entered.

Minions.

Buffy could feel their strength, the little of it that they emitted. They wouldn't be hard to take down.

It only took a few seconds before they spotted their master crumbled on the floor, their eyes searching the room for her.

Buffy was too quick, she pushed one guard in the back, grabbing his sword and slicing away with ease before the second rushed to attack her. Disposing of her would-be guards was easy and she knew that she would get further away than she had ever escaped from Angelus before. The two guards lay in a heap on the floor and for a moment she just stared, eyes narrowing before snatching a small blade from one of their belts before dusting them both. The only positive thing to come from her captive stay with Spike was that at least he had been generous enough to feed her proper meals.

Her body was full and plenty with energy.

For that, I am grateful.

She spared glance at Spike's form before fleeing the room.

Buffy slipped down the winding stairs and tried to remember her way through the halls. She got only made it a few meters before hearing voices down the hall and had to backpedal up a flight of stairs to avoid getting caught. It took a few wrong turns before she finally rounded another corner and saw the familiar big double doors that led to the library she had been taken to the day before.

Turning the handle she cringed when it creaked, slipping in silently and shutting the creaking door behind her. Eyes scanning the large room for occupants and seeing it empty she took a deep and calming breath and continued on. Disregarding the papers strewn across Giles desk, she made her way to the window seat that she had been sitting at the day before and pushed open the glass windows and climbing up onto the ledge.

"Buffy?"

The voice sounding her name behind her startled her and she spun around quickly. Her eyes met Giles' for the briefest of seconds before setting her lips in a firm line, heart lurching in her chest as she jumped.

Two stories wasn't a life threatening leap for her to make, but that being said it still hurt like hell. Buffy landed with a thud and a gasp, her hand slipping on the metal of the small blade that she had dropped in the fall.

"Buffy!"

Without looking behind her she got up and ran, blood dripping from her hand and onto the damp ground beneath her. It was early morning still, but the sun was up enough to light her way, the light bouncing off her hair like a golden halo.

"Buffy! Come back!"

If Giles hadn't been startled by seeing Buffy jump out of his window, he may have thought to look at the parchments laying strewn across his desk.


"Isn't she golden,

Shining in the light

Drops are scattered by the harvest of gold

Passing through like morning sun

A waiting to be cast along...."


Chapter End Notes:
I'm about to start working Monday to Friday for three weeks, I finally get weekends off so I'm hoping I'll be able to post a lot more during that time period! :)