Giles huffed with exertion as he dragged Buffy's passed out form through the forest. Her feet slipped from his hands as he stumbled through the last bush and onto the path where his horse stood, straining it's reigns to nibble on the grass surrounding the tree he had tied it to. A noise to his back startled him and he let Buffy's feet fall to the ground with a thump as he stood up straight. He wasn't alone. His surprise guest wore a small smirk and pointed to the woman at his feet.

"What!" Giles huffed.

"Need some help with that?"

"I'm quite fine, thank you."

Oz chuckled, walking over to help him lift Buffy up off the ground. With ease, he slung her over his shoulder before laying her across the saddle of Giles' horse.

"Spike sent me. Thought you might need help."

"Yes, well-"

"What did you do to her?"

Oz poked Buffy's shoulder a few times, getting no twitch or movement in response. He glanced at Giles who was ripping the material of his sleeved shirt apart, and noticed for the first time there was a cut across his arm. He winced sympathetically before taking a hold of the ripped strip of cloth to tie around the wound to stop the bleeding.

Giles let out a thank you as he adjusted Buffy's swinging arms before untying his horse from the tree.

"A simple sleeping powder. It won't keep her out for long so we best get moving."

He started walking while Oz slid his own reins over his mount's head to walk alongside Giles. There was simply no room for Giles to climb onto the saddle, not with it full of Buffy's passed out form taking up most of it.

"What's the plan? Once we get her back I mean. Spike has been pacing the halls since you left and I've gotta tell you, he's acting weird."

"Weirder than usual you mean?"

They shared a chuckle.

"Drusilla," Giles paused. "Spike tells me she has sought entry into Buffy's mind through means I don't quite understand. From what he has said I can tell you that it's quite dangerous for both of them. The distance in which Drusilla is trying to cover to make that connection and the longer she stays in Buffy's mind will be quite harmful. The bite that was delivered to the poor girl has her marked and the only way to break it is through a stronger bite. A claiming bite would do that."

Giles glanced at Buffy's face as they walked, he felt responsible for the young woman. He had made a promise to a dear friend years ago that if she were to ever come to him seeking his help that he would do as she asked.

"I didn't think that you would come."

"It took me longer than I thought to make the trip. Why the secrecy and urgency my friend?"

"It's better you don't know the details. For your own safety. I need your help!"

"Hank-"

"It's a matter of life and death! I have a daughter. She... You need to promise me that if she ever comes to you asking for it that you help her. Whatever she asks."

"Hank, I don't understand. Whats going on?"

His friend that he had known for half of his life was shaking like a leaf in front of him. Eyes scanning the small secluded clearing that they had agreed to meet in away from any prying eyes.

"Promise me Ripper!"

"I promise, but Hank I need to know what's going on!"

"It's all in here." He was handed a bundle of parchments wrapped in a leather bind, hands still holding onto the other end even after Giles hands had made contact. "Whatever happens, do not let these get into the wrong hands. It would cost his daughter her life." Frantic eyes scattered the clearing once more. "I can't stay any longer, promise to keep them safe. Keep her safe! If she ever comes for them!"

Before Giles could utter a word Hank disappeared from the clearing, leaving him with the bundle of parchments in his hands and questions unanswered in his mind.


"Claiming bite?"

"Hmm, yes. When vampires mate it is for life."

"That's why Spike is acting so weird. If he claims Buffy and cuts the link she has with Drusilla it also means that he would no longer be able to take Drusilla as his mate. Buffy would be his. Forever"

"Yes."

"Wow." Oz whistled low. "For as long as I've known him has been pining over Drusilla and trying to goad Angelus into fights."

"She started the war, Drusilla that is, playing the two off each other until in the end Spike lost and Angelus won. Now I'm beginning to understand that there is quite a lot more to Angelus and why he has kept Drusilla so close all these years. She was the key to finding Buffy."

"To completing the prophecy?"

"What do you know about it?"

"Not much. Just that Riley said he wanted to breed her. Not quite sure how that works seeing as Angelus is dead and all."

"There's a little bit more to it than that I'm afraid. Things I don't quite yet understand. I am, however, determined to find the answers."

Oz opened his mouth to speak when his ears picked up screaming in the distance, Willows screams. He flung the reins back over his mount and jumped up with ease, not giving a Giles a chance to speak before rearing and galloping off down the path back towards the estate.

........................................................


Buffy woke with a start, the shouts of screaming coming from somewhere nearby.

"I am pushing! Yousonofabitch you did this to me!"

More screams and muffled voices had Buffy trying to sit up with little success. Her hands seemed to be tied above her head and she noticed that once again she was lying on a bed. This bed, however, was not the one that was in her room. This room was different. It was twice the size and had a large floor to roof window that opened up to a small balcony. The curtains blew in with the breeze and she noticed for the first time that it was dark outside, a full moon creating a soft glow on the stone floors.

She recognized the voice that shouted down the hall was Willows so she surmised that once again, she was Spike's prisoner. How she had ended up in this strange room she didn't know. The last thing Buffy remembered was tying bindings around her bleeding hand and running through the woods, running some more, and then seeing gold eyes.

Her heart beat fast in her chest.

"Bad Dollie!"

"See if I ever let you near me again!"

The shout and scream broke her from her thoughts and she struggled against the ropes keeping her tied down. The bed was covered again in blood-red satin sheets, black throw pillows propped her up on the bed giving her a panoramic view of the room.

Books lined one entire wall, all held up by beautiful mahogany shelves. A leather chair sat in front on a rug with a fireplace on the adjacent wall. There was a small table near the chair, candle's and their holders covered in melted wax indicating that they were used every day. A book lay half open on the chair and even squinting, she still couldn't make out the title. Thick curtains were bunched together with a rope tie at the window and balcony, letting the nights breeze blow in. Her eyes scanned the room, more furniture lined walls, another wooden chest and then her eyes landed on a small bed side table next to her.

"One more!"

Shit!

Buffy struggled with her bonds for a few moments before managing to loosen the loops around both wrists. There was pure silence for a moment down the hall and then she heard the small wail of a child. Willow had just given birth. She heard muffled voices before the creak opening and closing of a door in the distance was heard and footfalls made their way towards her.

"How are you feeling?"

Buffy slunk back into the pillows trying to avoid Giles outstretched hand as he laid it on her forehead.

"Why did you run?" Buffy's head snapped up to owner of the voice and saw Spike at the open door, staring at her intently. "This is the safest place for you-"

"Like hell it is! What did you do to me? Let me go!"

"Buffy-"

"No!" Buffy shoved her body to the side, brushing off Giles and moving her head from under his hands. "I don't trust you!"

"You need to listen to me carefully, pet." Spike was sitting in front of her, face inches from hers, eyes never breaking their stare. "You're dangerous right now and unpredictable. This mornin' we were all a bit startled yeah, but after the damage you caused last night-"

"What?" She whispered, cutting him off. "What damage?" Hissing in pain when Spike moved the sheets aside to reveal her red and bruised hip, the scratch marks only beginning to heal.

"Last night you seemed to slip into a certain state in which we couldn't wake you." Giles had pulled his glasses from his face when he stood, letting Spike take his seat moments earlier. "You had been scratching at your bite and lashing out at anyone who got close to you."

"Something is happening to you-"

"Why should I believe a word you say! You have done nothing but drug me with sleeping powder and truth serum since I arrived. You agree to help me kill my tormentors, but refuse to let me kill Drusilla. Fuck you!"

Buffy slipped both hands from their loose bindings and slammed her head into Spike's, knocking him back as she scrambled from the bed. She rushed to the small table with the largest silver candle holder on it and held it up like a weapon. Spinning she knocked Giles in the chest and felt her limbs become heavy, her body doing things on its own accord. She was a simple viewer to her own actions. She hit Giles with the candle holder again and watched him slip to the ground, arms up in defense.

Before she could register another move, strong arms wound their way around her waist, pinning her arms to her side as a hot breath whispered in her ear.

"Stop. Buffy you need to stop."

"G-Giles....." Tears slipped from her eyes. She dropped the candle holder to the ground with a clang and stared down at her shaking hands for a few moments before she crumbled. Buffy slumped back into Spike's arms and struggled to breathe, letting out a huge sob as her tears fell. "What's happening to me?"