Sleep had come easily.

The moment her head had made contact with the soft pillows on the bed her eyes had drifted shut, slipping effortlessly into a dreamless slumber. Spike had been kind enough to give her another one of his shirts to wear to bed, her nightclothes having been ripped to shreds the previous night and neither one of them having the time to replace it. He had slipped into a shirt of his own, one that was slightly too big for him that came to stop mid-thigh. It was an odd sight to behold, seeing Spike standing in the middle of his room wearing a shirt two sizes too big and looking rather uncomfortable.

"Don' normally wear anything to bed."

"Ah..."

He'd put in the effort to dress for her.

Her cheeks flushed a shade of crimson when he walked about the room, the cream shirt doing little to conceal his body as the fire made it nearly see-through. She was glad she had already slipped beneath the covers and listened with one ear as he spoke, making promises that new night-things would be purchased for her as well as gowns that fit properly. Not that she had minded wearing Tara's over-sized dress all day as the ruffled skirts had supplied her with ample warmth. She didn't hear Spike stop talking or feel the bed dip when he slid in next to her. Too exhausted from the day to keep her eyes open any longer.

Spike held back a chuckle at the tiny snores his mate was making in her sleep, the sound echoing against the brick of the walls as she slumbered. His body was warm thanks to the fire in the room and just like Buffy had, as soon as his head touched the pillows of his bed he was drifting off to sleep.

She didn't know how long she had been asleep for or who had instigated the movement, but there was now a body curled flush against hers. She was half stuck in between dreaming and being awake, not yet sure which one was real. Her mind was thick and heavy with sleep. A head nuzzled its way into her neck causing a slew of goosebumps to rise in their wake as an arm encircled her waist. There was little to no light in the room indicating that she had been asleep for hours, the fire having all but burnt out leaving only the embers left to warm the room. The fire seemed unnecessary now as the body behind her was creating its own kind of friction, her skin flushing with warmth as it snuggled itself into her.

The fingers on her stomach splayed out, pulling her closer as hips thrust against hers from behind. On impulse she pushed back, the pressure she felt there pulsing to life as a low growl reverberated in her ear sending a rush of heat to her center. The hand on her stomach slipped down past her belly button, her breath hitching in anticipation as fingers explored her body. Hot breaths were coming in short unnecessary gasps against her neck right above her claim mark which had her eyes rolling into the back of her head. She was helpless to do anything to stop him, his touch only furthering her need. She hadn't thought it possible to crave anothers physical affections or the touch of a body against hers with such desperation.

We shouldn't

She knew it was wrong. Knew that she should push his hands away and roll to the other side of the bed, but she couldn't stop her body's reaction to his ministrations. His fingers finally met her center and she gasped his name into the darkness. Her hips began to slowly move with the rhythm he had developed, his body pushing up against hers from behind as he thrust his hardness against her. The pressure in her stomach was building as he pleasured her, leaving small but firm nips against his claim mark on her throat. One of her hands grabbed a fistful of bedding as the other pinched her nipple, her need heightening. She was close and he knew it. With a few strokes of his hand and a commanding groan into her neck she came undone.

She let out a shuddering breath, eyes snapping open. She was now wide awake and able to see in the darkness better than she had before. She knew that by instigating this dance her primal side was coming to the forefront. Unlike the first time however, she was now in control. Her body still craved and wanted his with a desperation and hunger she couldn't control, but there was also hesitation.

Something was changing between them.

She knew her eyes shone golden, a stark contrast against the pitch black of the room. She knew because the second she rolled over to look at him his demon burst to the surface. They stared at each other for moments, both locked in a daze. The air suddenly felt thick with anticipation and want coupled with something she couldn't quite explain. That feeling struck her right to the core and had her sliding a leg over his hips and he, his hands all over her body in seconds. There had been a pressure building between them all day, a disconnection and separation that neither her primal self or his demon had liked very much.

They were a mated pair, but their link was weak.

It needed strengthening.

Renewing.

They didn't need to talk, actions speaking louder than any words they could have said to the other. A hand wound its way to the back of her neck, pulling her face to his as lips and fangs met in a bruising kiss.

Want

It was the only thought running through her head as she allowed herself to be pulled on top of him, sitting astride. Their new position had her nightshirt sliding up her thighs, moans escaping them both as she ground herself onto his erection, his own shirt doing very little in the way of covering him. His eyes darkened as me moved his hands up her thighs and hips slowly before the sound of material tearing echoed in the room as he tore the offending garment over her head and tossed it aside.

Her breath caught in her throat as his human visage slipped to the front as he sat up and begun prepping her naked chest with feather-light kisses. Her eyes closed at the sudden tenderness he was now showering her with and opened the connection they shared. It was weak, but it didn't stop her from feeling the inner battle he was raging with himself. He wanted them to slow down and didn't know if he could stop.

They had agreed to be friends.

Friends...

Friends didn't kiss each other the way he was right now, his lips sure and demanding against hers, doing nothing to quell the fire that was building inside of them both. Friends didn't explore each other's bodies with hands, pinching and gripping in their desperation for the others touch. Friends didn't sit astride each other, bodies rocking together desiring to be one.

Her breath stopped in her throat as his erection made contact with her slick and ready opening, his movements halting as his hands came to rest on her hips.

Friends didn't have sex.

Or did they?

"We need this."

She was fighting a losing battle before the words had even left his mouth. They were doomed. Her primal need for him took over completely, forcing all sensibilities and reservations aside. Biting her lip, she nodded in agreement, her hands reaching forward to tear open his shirt and mewling when his naked chest met hers.

Skin to skin.

Finally

His lips met hers in another desperate kiss, the sensations and emotions he was flooding her with through their link nearly bringing her to tears. She allowed him to roll them both until he was on top, no time for foreplay before he pushed her thighs apart and buried himself inside her welcoming heat with one swift movement.

"Oh..."

The gasp that escaped her had him slowing his movement, hips pushing forward until he was fully sheathed inside of her. He lowered his forehead to hers and let their hips rock together. Last night had been about claiming each other and breaking the hold Drusilla had over her, but this was something else entirely. She felt connected to him in a way that she had never been before. Feeling him stretching her, filling her, she felt whole. He was hers, just as she was his.

His hands were on either side of her head, holding himself above her. Ever so slowly, she wound her fingers around his wrists and let them glide up his forearms in a silent gesture to continue. She nibbled on her lip, a sight that had him leaning down to capture the swollen lip with his. Their bodies rocked together, hips never parting ways for long. It was a slow dance, neither needing nor wanting a hard and fast mating like the first time. This time was different. It was about strengthening their connection, renewing and giving themselves to each other. Golden eyes met his cerulean blue and he sat back, pulling her with him. Her legs slipped to either side of his waist as they moved to the center of his bed, rocking together slowly.

Her lips met with his in a tender kiss as his arms wound their way around her back, bringing the sheet with them when her body flushed with goosebumps from the cold night air. A single tear slipped from her cheek that she didn't know she had shed until he kissed it away before he began prepping her neck with kisses. She nipped against his own throat, groans escaping him when she found an erogenous zone just above the claim mark she had given him. Their movements became frantic as they rocked together, the hands on her bottom helping their rhythm. On impulse they struck at the same time, both biting the claim marks they had given the other, bodies grinding together as blood poured into their mouths. The hands on her hips held her firm in place as he spilled his seed into her, her body pulsing against his in pleasure as she came undone.

Light flashed before her eyes and she had to hold her breath at the onslaught of images that rushed her. Images from the night before as well as the dreams she had been plagued with.

Memories.... Not dreams.

The connection she had with Spike had indeed strengthened and with its renewal, the block on her memories gone. She remembered everything.

"W-what was that?"

"That," Spike collapsed on his back, pulling her with him, feeling just as dazed as she sounded. "was the claim fully opening. Think we've both spent the day trying very hard to keep the other out."

"Yeah..."

"Don' think my demon took too kindly to it."

"Or mine..."

They both lay tangled together for a while, bodies panting and slick with sweat from their lovemaking. Buffy let out a shiver when Spike ran his hands down her back, partly from the cool air and partly from his touch. From his lying position he could see their nightshirts thrown on the floor. His was completely ripped and hers, frayed at the hems from his impatient inability to remove it from her body quick enough.

"We're going to have to get you a whole wardrobe of night-things, luv."

Colour flushed to Buffy's cheeks as she lent over him to see the damage they had caused to their clothes. Resting her chin on his chest, she turned to look at him.

"Seems we have a habit of breaking things."

"We could always just sleep naked?" Spike offered, lips raised in a suggestive smirk as his fingers played with the loose strands of her hair.

"Just friends is never going to work is it?" Buffy asked after a moment of silence.

"We'll never be able to be just friends, luv. Not after everything we've already shared. My demon wants you too much. You're my mate."

"I feel this constant pull towards you when I let my guard down..." Buffy blushed. "Like when I'm sleeping."

"Why fight it then?"

"Because it scares me. She scares me..."

"You're going to have to embrace her, luv. It's a part of who you are."

"I know..."

"We'll discover her together, yeah." Spikes hands playfully made their way to her backside and gave it a pinch, earning him a giggle. "I'll help you train tomorrow. Help you try and connect to her better, yeah? Believe it or not I actually know what it's like to constantly be at war with a deep hunger that rages within."

"How do you control it?"

"It's not about control.... it's about balance." Spike sat them up to move towards the back of the bed where the pillows were, propping himself up and opening his arms for her to join him. "The moment you try to control it," he covered them with the blankets. "to push it down, you're going to get resistance. And the second the demon takes over, carnage breaks loose. But to find that perfect balance... to coexist... It's more difficult, yeah, but you'll reap the most rewards."

"To be stronger?"

"In a way. It's taken me..."

Buffy let her thoughts consume her, eyes closing as her head moved to lie on Spike's chest as he spoke, explaining the thoughts of his demon and how long it had taken him to find the perfect balance between beast and man. His dulcet tones coupled with the cool hand he was stroking her head with, fingers weaving their way through her hair had her drifting of to sleep within minutes, body too tired and sore to stay awake any longer.

"...Probably why I find it so- and you're totally asleep. Never mind then, I'll show you tomorrow, luv."

Spike laid a kiss to her head before bringing the covers up to her shoulders, sliding them further into the bed where he was content to pull his mate into his arms.