Buffy woke with a smile tugging at the edges of her mouth, her body sore from the evenings activities. A groan escaped her as she stretched her arms above her head, the knots and muscles unwinding with the movement. She rolled over to greet her mate and frowned upon seeing the space next to her empty.

"Spike?"

She hadn't heard him get up or leave, but sitting up in bed she found that she was alone in the room. Her stomach dropped as thoughts of why he might have left her alone after the night they shared plagued her mind. The thoughts, however, were fleeting when she looked around the room. Spike had started another fire in the fireplace which was burning away in the corner of the room and she was glad to feel the heat radiating from it. The gown she had borrowed from Tara was draped across his chair next to the fire.

He warmed it for me

The thought brought a smile to her face, Spike wanting her clothes to be warm and comforting when she put them on. A pair of slipper-like shoes that she had also borrowed from Tara the day before were placed a few feet away from the fire as well.

She stood naked, stretching her arms above her head, spine cracking before padding her way across the room. Picking up the dress from the chair she almost didn't notice a small piece of parchment resting just under the gown. The script was beautiful, her fingers tracing the perfectly lined and cursive writings for a few moments before reading.

Dear Buffy,

You looked so peaceful sleeping that I couldn't bring myself to wake you.

I'll be in the library with Giles with breakfast ready and waiting. I should very much like for you to join us when you awake as I have something exciting planned for you today.

Yours,

Spike


Her fingers traced his name for a few moments before placing the note back on the chair. She slipped on the dress with a smile, loving the sensation the warm material had on her skin and moved to the thick curtains covering his window. They were still drawn closed and with a swoosh she swung them open. Light filtered into the room, casting it in a dull haze. It was snowing outside again and the chill from the glass had her shivering almost instantly, once again thankful for Tara's oversized gown that covered so much of her skin.

Hugging her arms around her body she felt the warmth the fire had given her gown leaving as she left the room, the halls and walls of the castle encasing her in their icy grip. Turning corners in the castle the walkways before her were slowly becoming familiar and she only had to backtrack her steps once when she ended up in a corridor she'd never seen before. Her stomach grumbled, face grimacing at the sound and trying to recall the last time she had eaten. Rounding another corner she was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't see the person coming towards her, letting out a squeak when she nearly walked straight into Tara who greeted her with a smile.

"You look well rested."

"I feel it, thank you."

Her cheeks were red she knew it. It was more than just the fabulous sleep she'd had that was making her glow. If Tara suspected otherwise she didn't press her on the matter and together they began walking in silence.

After the bond between her and Spike had been reaffirmed and solidified, there was no longer a reason for her to try to fight it. The constant battle that had been raging within her the day before while trying to keep Spike out had only been draining all her energy. Now, she felt him in the recesses of her mind. His presence was always there, just within her grasp and if she tried hard enough she could pick up what he was feeling.

Contentment.

His hunger had been sated, but his need and want for her had been ignited. A flood of goosebumps rushed down her spine making her shiver when an image of tangled limbs and swollen kiss filled lips rushed her.

Oh my!

"Do you know what we're being summoned for?"

She was broken from her musings by Tara's voice.

"Huh?"

"W-well..." Tara stammered, seeing the dazed look on Buffy's face. "Spike sent a servant to c-collect me and told me to join him in the library. He said he had an urgent task-"

"He left a note for me saying he had something planned for today, but I have no idea what it is." Buffy shrugged, brows furrowing as they walked the rest of the way in silence.

She tried concentrating on her mate again, but only got more images of tangled limbs and sheets sent her way. Was that what he was thinking about? Their evening together? As if he was answering her question another image came to her which had her eyes bugging. She was astride him in bed, her head tossed back as she came around him, chest heaving, hands raking down his chest, eyes locking with his.

Oh my god!

Tara nudged Buffy in the direction of the library, breaking her from her thoughts again. As they got closer to the doors the sweet smell of warm pastries wafted through the wood which had her mouth watering and stomach turning, all thoughts of lovemaking pushed aside.

"I think that's a marvelous idea!"

Giles voice was muffled slightly and the first they heard as they entered, pushing the heavy doors open. He was sipping on his drink with one hand while the other held tight on a glazed pastry. Spike was seated in his normal position at the end of the desk, a quill and paper in hand and looking quite pensive.

"What's a good idea?" Buffy asked, steps quickening as she moved to snatch a pastry from their collection before pulling up a chair. "Hmmm this is so good!"

"I'm glad you like it." Buffy shot Spike's amused face a pastry filled smile. "Tara, please help yourself." He turned back to Buffy and raised one eyebrow before licking his lips.

Oh I'm so on to you, buster!

Buffy narrowed her eyes.

"T-thank you." Tara stammered, walking to the other end of the table and away from Buffy and Spike who seemed to be having a stare-off.

Giles selected two more cups from the tray that sat to his left, pouring them each a tea from the kettle as Tara pulled up a chair.

"I was hoping to ask you if you wouldn't mind accompanying Buffy into the village today to buy some clothes?" Spike broke their stare first.

"Me?" Tara's eyes shot up at Spikes question.

"Yes you, luv."

"W-well yes I could, but surely someone else-"

"Do you not want to?" Buffy placed her hand on the stammering Tara's arm. "You really don't have to. I don't mind this dress, it's warm." Buffy tossed the skirts across her legs in example and snatched another pastry from the tray.

"I do! B-but I'm not very good with p-people. Willow normally goes into the village for these kinds of things.... But I guess you can't really ask her with a new baby..."

"I'm sure you'll do quite fine, dear." Giles smiled in assurance.

"Tha's why I'm making you a list." Spike passed her the piece of parchment he had been writing on when they entered. "I can't exactly go myself... though' this might help a bit."

"It does, thank you." Tara's eyes scanned the parchment, lips moving silently as she read each item.

"Why can't you come?" Buffy asked with a slight pout to her voice.

"Daylight..."

"Oh, right."

Idiot Buffy!

Her eyes were downcast as she ducked her head, suddenly feeling the fool. Of course he couldn't come with them. Not unless he wanted to be a big pile of ash. How could she have been so stupid to ask him such a thing! Her stomach dropped, breath hitching when Spike sent a rush of emotion to her through their bond, his eyes catching hers in a way that had her instantly calming. He knew she hadn't meant it to hurt him, a simple lapse in thought perhaps. She smiled and turned to lean towards the paper Tara was reading, but the angle made it hard to see anything.

"P-pants?"

"Training gear." Spike explained to Tara, pointing to Buffy's dress. "Can' exactly learn to fight in a dress now can she?"

"Hey! I can fight plenty fine in a dress I'll have you know." Buffy huffed.

"I've no doubt of it pet, but we're not just trying to fight, yeah." Spike shot her a look which that had her raising her eyebrows in understanding.

They were going to try to connect her with her primal side to find the perfect balance.

"Right.... pants." Buffy pointed to the paper. "Add boots to that too." She snatched another pastry, stomach starting to get full, but another wouldn't hurt.

"Training? Forgive me, but I thought you were requesting Tara to accompany Buffy into the village to gather the materials to make a gown for our yearly tenants gathering?"

"Balls! I'd forgotten about that." Spike scrunched up his face.

"What's a tenant's gathering?" Buffy slowed her chewing.

"The tenant's gathering is done yearly and it's when Spike invites all those who live on his land to the castle. They pay their rents and we hold a feast in celebration of another year to come." Giles explained, sipping his tea. "The invitations went out weeks ago. It's in a few days and I'm quite surprised you'd forgotten it actually." Giles raised an eyebrow.

"I've had other things on my mind mate." He shot back a look before turning to stare at Buffy again, who gulped under the intensity of his eyes.

"W-we can still get all the things you need to train with, b-but it won't hurt if we pick up some materials for a gown for you as well." Tara picked up the quill and began writing, stopping every few words to dip it in more ink.

"Is it safe? I mean... with Angelus and Drusilla on their way?" Buffy suddenly lost her appetite, dropping her pastry to her plate, choosing to sip her tea instead.

Spike could see the discomfort and fear in her eyes and longed to reach over the desk to take her hands in his, but instead he spoke.

"It'll be safe."

"Yes, quite." Giles nodded in agreement. "Willow and I assure to that every year."

"What do we do?"

All heads turned towards the new voice that entered the library, bringing with it another noise. A tiny gurgling that rose from the being in her arms as Oz trailed not too far behind, arms laden.

It's so tiny!

"We thought it was about time to bring this little guy for a walk."

Oz was carrying a bundle full of blankets and after helping Willow sit in a chair next to Giles he placed them across her lap and around her shoulders, keeping her warm.

"Casting the protection spell around the castle at the yearly gathering." Giles answered her question.

"Yes! Oh are you going into the village? Can you get me some more herbs? I need-"

Buffy wasn't paying attention to the voices around her as they spoke. Instead, her eyes were focused on the tiny human being nestled in his mother's arms. How was it that the body was capable of creating something so utterly...perfect. So tiny. Little fists came out from the blankets he was wrapped in to scratch at his face, his little fingers stopping to rest on his lips. Lips that were perfectly plumped up, ready and waiting to suckle against anything placed against them, including his own hands. His face scrunched up, eyes squeezing together and looking about ready to let out a wail, but then Willow rang a single finger down the center of his forehead and his features softened. Slipping into slumber once again, instantly calmed by his mothers soft touch.

Her own hand found its way to her stomach, eyes watering at the thought of what it would be like to have a tiny being of her own. The mere thought had once repulsed her after being held captive by Angelus and Drusilla for years, tormented and taunted on the ways and how he was going to breed her. To have her stomach grow with life inside it, life that would have been his demon offspring.

No!

That future would never happen. She was no longer the captive of a deranged beast. Now she was the mate of another demon, a choice that she wasn't given, but had come to accept nonetheless. Her first meeting with Spike had been jarring, he had been so cruel and just as beast-like as Angelus and Drusilla. Over time though she had seen him in a new light, he was different. He had friends. There was a side to him that she hadn't been looking for, but was surprised to find.

He was kind.

Gentle.

He was her friend.

Images from her own memories of his gentle touch the night before rushed her as his head came to rest on her chest, her fingers combing through the soft hair at the nape of his neck as he covered her body in kisses.

"You alright, luv?"

Spike broke her from her thoughts and she looked up to see all eyes trained on her. She coughed and nodded, breaking her gaze from Willows baby to turn to Tara.

"Is there anything else we need?"

"No, I think this is everything." Tara laughed at the now double-sided parchment written with items they were to buy.

"Let's get going then." Buffy stood, wiping the unshed tears from her eyes as she moved towards the library doors, Tara trailing not too far behind.

She briefly heard Spike murmur a request of 'go with them' to Oz who followed behind them a few minutes later.

They took the carriage into the village and not just horses, something to which she was thankful for. The snow had created a blanket of white on the ground and the air held a chill to it that she didn't wish to be riding out in.

The village itself reminder her of the one she used to visit with her parents when she was young. The streets lined with markets and stores of all kinds, with tellers selling everything you could imagine. They stopped at a store selling herbs so that Tara could complete the second half of her parchment, the list of items Willow had requested being rather extensive. Next they bought materials for her gown, she selected a few different shades of golds and reds that glimmered under sunlight. While in the store she also selected a few other materials in earthy tones, wanting some gowns to wear around the castle that would keep her warm and covered.

Next they stopped at a store that sold men's materials where Oz helped her select a few different types for pants. None of the clothes that were already made were going to fit her tiny frame and instead they were going to have to fashion the clothing's themselves.

Buffy trailed behind her two companions as they walked the market streets in the snow through the smaller stalls and tellers. She sampled some of the foods and sweets that were offered to her, but all the while couldn't stop the tingling that was running up her spine. Just like her mother had felt all those years ago when she had been confronted in the markets, something didn't feel right. Her eyes scanned her surroundings, narrowing at people as they walked past. All the stores and taverns seemed full of life, with people mingling about working and laughing even with the cold chill in the air.

"You ready to go?"

Buffy tried to pinpoint the source of the tingles shooting through her body, but came up empty. She spared one more glance towards the row of taverns at the edge of the village, frowning before speaking.

"Yeah...."

"A-are you ok?" Tara placed a hand on Buffy's arm, jolting her from her concentration.

"I'm ok," she shook it off and smiled. "Just overwhelming is all. There's something about this place that reminds me of something that happened when I was a child...."

"T-the marketplace can get quite busy." Tara agreed, nodding towards Oz who lead them through the crowds easily and back towards their carriage.


....................................



Inside a darkened room of a small tavern an impatient Vampiress ran a bloodied finger down the chest of her favorite screaming daddy.

"Scream for me."

Her eyes glistened with joy when the young daddy let out a groan, body trying to twist away from her as she slashed at his chest with her hands.

"Dru, stop playing with him." Angelus sat up from his position on their bed and growled at his mate, looking bored. "We need him to be able to walk."

"They're all going to be dead soon." Drusilla tilted her head, listening to a voice that no one else could hear. "The stars speak to me, but they tell me lies." Her hands slashed down again in her anger. "My William has been tainted by your sunshine!" Her fingers wrapped around her captives neck and squeezed, eyes widening in delight at the sounds he made while struggling to breathe. "He was not yours to take!"

"Dru!" Angelus stomped over to his mate and pried her fingers off from his neck. "We need him alive."

"But, he will ruin everything my love. He brings the sunshine with him." Drusilla's hands were shaking as Angelus walked her backward, holding her at arm's-length.

"You should not be allowed! The sunshine is not yours to bend at your will!"

Her victims mouth only panted for breath, windpipe slowly opening again after the attack. The man had many secrets that much she knew. Secrets that he would take to his grave. His lips twitched in a small knowing smile as he stared back at her.

"Darkness is where he belongs!"

"Yes, Dru and he'll get what's coming to him." Angelus dismissed his crazed mates words.

"Make them all bleed. Dead. They will all be dead, dead, dead....." Drusilla was staring down at her shaking fingers as Angelus sat her in a chair in the corner of the room, running his hands through her hair in his efforts to calm her.

"It won't be long now. Soon we will have her back..."